Would you recommend THIS board to someone planning their first trip?

Would you recommend this board to someone planning their first Disney vacation?

• Yes! I recommend this board to everyone I know!

• Yes, but I also warn them not to let the negativity get them down.

• Maybe, but I steer my more sensitive friends away from this board.

• No, I don't recommend this board to anyone taking their first trip. I send them elsewhere.

• Other. (Because there's always an other.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's funny how people are so different. I cannot figure out how to use easywdw AT ALL. I need a tutorial. I don't know where to click or in what order. I have yet to find the best dates to go to what park. Just can't figure it out, nothing easy about it at all for me!
Heh.

I agree. I don't get easywdw at all. It's got a terrible layout.

I've learned so many useful hints on this board but lately the negativity has been challenging. I would still would recommend the Dis but to be wary of the negative stuff.

Never. Too much drama, judging, and high horses.

I would recommend Disboards, but right now definitely NOT recommend the Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies Board.

If people ask me a question about some resorts I link them to the Resorts Board.

If there's a restaurant question I'd link them the Restaurants Board.

The TPAS board is so negative it could turn people off from even wanting to go to WDW.

I have NO problem with people posting their reviews of FP+ or their pointers to using it effectively. I think it's great that people post what they DON'T like about it.

The tone on this particular board, in my opinion, has gone completely overboard to the point of the posts not even being remotely useful for theme park planning.

People are saying it is virtually impossible to have fun in WDW parks now. Peoples hair is on fire, in most cases, when they haven't even experienced FP+.

I'm not one of those who says you HAVE to experience it to be critical of it, but, for the most part these people seem to be on the highest rooftops with the loudest voices.

If I read tripadvisor and someone posts all the reasons their Poly stay was subpar, I value that. If I read tripadvisor and read a review from someone recounting all the reasons they don't want to stay at Poly, that has absolutely no value to me, it's just noise.

I have 3 boards that I recommend, and the Dis is sometimes on the list - depends on the person. 3 years ago, the Dis was the first site that came to mind. Now it is the site I am least likely to recommend.

When I do choose to send someone to the Dis, I always warn them about the judgmental stuff, the polarized viewpoints, and the general feeling of negativity. I tell them that there is more helpful information here than anywhere else on the web - if you can get past the mess.

I am amazed that the site owners have allowed the board to be taken over by these people, but I also understand that some of them used to be very positive and supportive of Disney. Their change in attitude tells me that they really did love Disney, and reminds me that love and hate are so very closely intertwined. After all, to achieve either, you have to first allow yourself to care.

Still, what ever happened to the axiom, if you have nothing good to say, better to say nothing at all? Or, if you feel that you must criticize for whatever reason, keep the criticism constructive?

If there's a restaurant question I'd link them the Restaurants Board.

When I last looked at the restaurant board it looked like Anton Ego was writing every review. It certainly was no ray of sunshine compared to this one. :rotfl:

anton_ego1.jpeg

I am amazed that the site owners have allowed the board to be taken over by these people, but I also understand that some of them used to be very positive and supportive of Disney. Their change in attitude tells me that they really did love Disney, and reminds me that love and hate are so very closely intertwined. After all, to achieve either, you have to first allow yourself to care.

Do you ever listen to the DIS Unplugged podcast, and hear the owner Pete's take on things? He's not much for sugar coating things himself.

surferdave said:
Do you ever listen to the DIS Unplugged podcast, and hear the owner Pete's take on things? He's not much for sugar coating things himself.

I prefer the positive and negative of each side on many subjects. Transportation, resorts, dining, etc. I think for a newbie they just need to understand this going in. I would vote yes, but with caution. At some point you need to make up your own mind about what people say.

No, but not because of the negativity (although I've been away for a year or so and am shocked how angry this board has gotten).

I've never recommended it to newbies, it's just too much info. This board is for people who think that whether they eat at BoG or Akershus is a make-or-break proposition. I saw someone wondering the other day if they had made a "terrible mistake" by booking a pirate cruise on their first day, before their son has had a chance to see the pirate tutorial. A terrible mistake? Really? I love the fact that you can get the info to any tiny nitpicky question here, really I do.

Actually, let me put it this way. I was talking to the person at my job who's in charge of all physical stuff--furniture, supplies, building maintenance, etc. He said to me once, everyone has one thing that they are very particular about (mine is buying those batteries with the built-in meters). And each person's one thing that they're very particular about is completely reasonable. But in a building of 200 people, those 200 completely reasonable things are completely overwhelming. And this board has how many thousands of members who may each have one particular quirk that's entirely reasonable but then multiply it by thousands ...

I do recommend WDWInfo, the informative side of this site, as well as AllEars, but honestly for most people I think the WDW website itself is plenty.

As for the negativity, the only person I know personally who is a bigger Disney fanatic than me is one of my aunts. I don't know what board or group she follows, but I know she says that FP+ and MBs are universally loved by the people in her group and she's super excited to try them out. And since I'm about to take at least one Disney doubter there, I am absolutely not telling anyone else to come here.

I fully agree with the bolded statement at the beginning of your reply. For a first-timer I always recommend MouseSavers (to save $$), AllEars (for in-depth info) and WDWInfo (the parent site of these boards) for all other info. The boards themselves would be information overload for a newbie.

I am a newbie. Except for my one and only trip to WDW in 1972, at 14, this will be my first real vacation there. These boards have been very helpful and insightful. Our travel agent told us from the start that our trip will be unique. Everyone's post are from there perspective, but not necessarily reflective of what I will experience. I'm reading the negativity, but see it as individual responses based on past experiences. If you've never been, it's all new and you should not have any preconceived expectations. I'm eager to try the magicbands, FP+, and all the other Disney magic. The best advice, guidance, information comes from a great, informed, travel agent. All the other research, be it on these post, or The unofficial guide, or easyWDW (which I find very user friendly and helpful), is just background and cannot replace an experienced travel agent.

I am a first time guest, leaving in 6 days!!!! I found this board 3 years ago when we went to Disneyland, I am a researcher so I used many sites to help gain as much info as I could, this board was invaluable to me, I learned so much and it helped make our trip easier.
A year ago when we decided to go to WDW I came back here along with other sites, again I have learned many wonderful tips, we have a lunch fastpass for BOG thanks to these boards and got in on the one day glitch to get the non tiered fastpasses at Epcot and Hollywood Studios!!! I skim the fastpass threads in case there is something important but don't stress. My thinking is that we have never been before so we go in without prior expectations of what we should be able to do, or what we used to do and can't now, we are seeing fastpass plus as an positive for us newbies. We know we won't do everything, have no intention of riding rides several times, just want to try them.

With all that I probably would recommend other sites that aren't message boards that helped me as well first and then direct them here after they have researched and have specific questions.

This is an interesting poll to me because *I* am a first timer who just sort of stumbled upon these boards when looking for information for our Christmas trip. I have found a ton of very useful information on here and intend to continue to use it for informational purposes.

HOWEVER, I have been put off lately by all the snide, negative comments regarding the FP+ situation. Specifically, from those posters who complain & whine because the new system makes FP more accessible to everyone, thereby cutting down on the # of FPes that they, personally, are able to use. I understand being unhappy with change, but to just come right out and say that the reason you hate the system is because now it's easier for EVERYbody to use it is . . . well . . . as a first timer, it's off-putting. And, I'm not a thin-skinned person. I can only imagine how a more sensitive person would feel.

At any rate, is it going to stop me from coming here and accessing the information? Absolutely not. It's far too valuable. However, I do tend to avoid the very obvious FP+ hater posts and I would definitely warn others to do the same.

I think the only reason I'm still here as a first timer is because there is a UK specific board which is less manic and doesn't have so much negativity. That board is invaluable, and there is a nice little community in there. This board is quite a bit scarier, and not always so helpful for answering questions.

I'd recommend the UK trip planning area to any other people who told me they were booked/considering a trip, but with the caveat that they might want to avoid this board at times (I don't check in here every day, but do check the UK forum regularly).

I went to WDW for my honeymoon 5 yrs ago. We both had only been as kids. We booked through a TA good friend of my MIL. She convinced us to do GF DDP, as we "won't stay somewhere like that when the kids come.". We had no idea about ADR's or Fast pass, rope drop etc. nor did she disclose these things. Although our stay was of course magical (it's the happiest place on earth of course!) we really went there with our eyes closed. I stumbled upon these boards a year ago while casually beginning to plan our first trip with DS. What I have learned here on the boards is invaluable and wish knew of them 5 yrs ago. I learn something new everyday!:thumbsup2

Specifically, from those posters who complain & whine because the new system makes FP more accessible to everyone, thereby cutting down on the # of FPes that they, personally, are able to use. I understand being unhappy with change, but to just come right out and say that the reason you hate the system is because now it's easier for EVERYbody to use it is . . . well . . . as a first timer, it's off-putting. And, I'm not a thin-skinned person. I can only imagine how a more sensitive person would feel.

Who has said this? I've never seen a statement like that. The two closest points I can think of to this are

1. The old system was actually the one that was accessible to everyone, this one is dependent on being a resort guest or an AP holder (otherwise you're getting the paper service on day of visit).

2. Disney is claiming more people are using this one because it's easier but that is untrue. If it is getting more use it's because they are promoting it heavily because they want the marketing data from it, and they never bothered to promote the old one.

This is an interesting poll to me because *I* am a first timer who just sort of stumbled upon these boards when looking for information for our Christmas trip. I have found a ton of very useful information on here and intend to continue to use it for informational purposes.

HOWEVER, I have been put off lately by all the snide, negative comments regarding the FP+ situation. Specifically, from those posters who complain & whine because the new system makes FP more accessible to everyone, thereby cutting down on the # of FPes that they, personally, are able to use. I understand being unhappy with change, but to just come right out and say that the reason you hate the system is because now it's easier for EVERYbody to use it is . . . well . . . as a first timer, it's off-putting. And, I'm not a thin-skinned person. I can only imagine how a more sensitive person would feel.

At any rate, is it going to stop me from coming here and accessing the information? Absolutely not. It's far too valuable. However, I do tend to avoid the very obvious FP+ hater posts and I would definitely warn others to do the same.

I second that. I was effectively called an idiot recently who "didn't understand how FP worked" (done a lot of reading, and see FP+ limits those who used a lot in the past but is easier for newbies) because I expressed the opinion that it was easier to access as a first timer visitor.

I have an will continue to recommend the DIS to newbies as a planning tool. There are a lot of very WDW savvy people here that are nice and willing to help. There are a lot of "Disney" savvy TAs that don't know half what most people here know. I also recommend easywdw and allears.

BudgieMama said:
I second that. I was effectively called an idiot recently who "didn't understand how FP worked" (done a lot of reading, and see FP+ limits those who used a lot in the past but is easier for newbies) because I expressed the opinion that it was easier to access as a first timer visitor.

If someone calls you an idiot you should report the post.

I'm not going to call out specific posters (just because I'm new to THIS message board doesn't mean I don't understand how message boards, in general, work and how things to degenerate into online arguments) but there was a thread I was reading yesterday (maybe the day before) in which someone complained that the increased accessibility/visibility (whether because of Disney marketing it more heavily or word of mouth or whatever reason) of the FP+ system had a negative effect on how they, personally, liked to tour because more people were taking advantage of using FPes. And it wasn't the first/only comment I'd ever read along those lines.

I'm not going to call out specific posters (just because I'm new to THIS message board doesn't mean I don't understand how message boards, in general, work and how things to degenerate into online arguments) but there was a thread I was reading yesterday (maybe the day before) in which someone complained that the increased accessibility/visibility (whether because of Disney marketing it more heavily or word of mouth or whatever reason) of the FP+ system had a negative effect on how they, personally, liked to tour because more people were taking advantage of using FPes. And it wasn't the first/only comment I'd ever read along those lines.

What's wrong with that? It's true. Do you find that offensive?

Disney didn't make people aware of it in the past like they do now. That combined with people having to choose 3 or nothing absolutely impacts availability.

I mean do you find the threads where people talk about how there's no true off season anymore offensive? I don't get what the difference is. Both the result of Disney marketing. Neither an insult to the guests benefitting from Disney sharing information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter