Wow! A real money grab in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever go to a baseball game? "Money-grab" there too...everyone there gets to see the same game, but some people who are willing to pay more money get a closer, more comfortable seat and may also get food delivered to them rather than having to get up and wait in line. Better experience

Son went to NJ Devils' playoff games this past spring and spent 3 times what he normally would for the same seat during the regular season. Better experience...not 'regular' season, but playoff season.

Disney is no different.

You don't have to pay any more than a regular day park ticket or the party add-on to experience the same magic. It's about what level of experience do you want to have?

Me? I may not shell out the $99 for a dessert party because that experience isn't what I'm looking for. But years ago, I gladly handed Universal over $1000 at the gate for one day tickets, express pass privileges, and lanyards so my family of four could have the best possible experience for a day.

Only each person/family can decide whether any of this is 'worth it'.

Back when the Christmas and Halloween parties started, there was a fairly big thread here about it. A lot of people were not happy about Disney double-dipping into our pockets. A park that was previously open all normal hours, is now closing early so they can charge guests an additional fee for a "Party".

It comes down to business. Disney has shareholders to answer to and is expected to show growth year after year. Profit is king, and Disney started to think out of the box to provide a new revenue stream. Then they took away EMH in the evening and started offering Disney After Hours. Once again, they found another revenue source.

It's a business, and as much as we prefer to have things as they were, there will be changes that are not in alignment with our expectations.
This is exactly correct.

For those that thought Chapek was the cause of all of this stuff and that Iger would come in and save the day.... go watch Iger's interview from yesterday on CNBC. He talks about the parks as an opportunity for revenue GROWTH. For pubicly held companies, stockholders don't want you to just keep making a modest profit, you have to make MORE money every quarter and every year than you did the last quarter and the last year or you are a failure. This means whoever is running Disney parks will be charged with figuring out ways to make more money off of us while lowering costs.

That's just the way it is...

When you are blessed with a highly refined palate that resembles sandpaper, like mine, you don't really mind the park fare at Magic Kingdom. But I've heard similar complaints from novice foodies. 😉
We really enjoyed the flatbreads this visit as well as the fruit and Nutella waffles. There was an insane amount of fruit including about 15 of the largest, sweetest strawberries I have ever had.

We are a huge fan of Dole Whip varieties available now. I had the pineapple upside down cake with coconut dole whip swirl. It was amazing.

I only consider something a money grab when someone has no choice but to buy it. Something like the dessert parties are an option for people, and if they want to pay the money, then great. Disney is in the business to make money, so if people want to pay big money for dessert, than Disney is smart to offer it. My DD19 and I have an awesome place to watch the fireworks, so we’ll never be paying for the dessert party :sad2:

Dessert parties are worth it to people, obviously, or people wouldn't be paying for the option.

Not sure how something 100% voluntary as an add on to an experience is a money grab for an organization with the goal of generating profit.
Folks are alao sheep. Wearing $40 ears is voluntary, too, but tons of foolish sheep do it every day. Pointlessly buying multiple Starbucks tumblers at $50 each is stupid when they all do the same exact thing. Yet foolish sheep continually do it. Something being voluntary has zero impact. Hell, visiting amusement parks is voluntary. So no, just because Disney offers something doesn't mean people should break down and spring for it if it doesn't make sense. There really is no accounting for financial intelligence when it comes to Disney sheep.

Last edited:
Folks are alao sheep. Wearing $40 ears is voluntary, too, but tons of foolish sheep do it every day. Pointlessly buying multiple Starbucks tumblers at $50 each is stupid when they all do the same exact thing. Yet foolish sheep continually do it. Something being voluntary has zero impact. Hell, visiting amusement parks is voluntary. So no, just because Disney offers something doesn't mean people should break down and spring for it if it doesn't make sense. There really is no accounting for financial intelligence when it comes to Disney sheep.
Thats quite rude, especially because you are on a Disney board and I guess therefore you are one of the foolish sheep you proclaim everyone is too. So my kid wearing Minnie ears doesn’t wear them because she likes them and thinks it’s fun on vacation, she’s just a foolish sheep and brainwashed. Thanks for enlightening me! She must need counseling.

People chose to spend their money on whatever experiences or items maybe because they like to or want to or actually enjoy it.

Thats quite rude, especially because you are on a Disney board and I guess therefore you are one of the foolish sheep you proclaim everyone is too. So my kid wearing Minnie ears doesn’t wear them because she likes them and thinks it’s fun on vacation, she’s just a foolish sheep and brainwashed. Thanks for enlightening me! She must need counseling.

People chose to spend their money on whatever experiences or items maybe because they like to or want to or actually enjoy it.
Everything in moderation. You wanna buy your kid one pair of ears as a souvenir? Knock yourself out. Adults whose homes are cluttered with them because they need to color coordinate green ears to the green stripe on their shirt for some reason just to walk around an amusement park, though...

Everything in moderation. You wanna buy your kid one pair of ears as a souvenir? Knock yourself out. Adults whose homes are cluttered with them because they need to color coordinate green ears to the green stripe on their shirt for some reason just to walk around an amusement park, though...
So then don't. But people who make a conscious decision to have some fun, maybe be frivolous, have a fun collection, see a smile on their kid's face...spending THEIR money how they choose has nothing to do with sheep.

It's Saturday peeps! And summer! Too much to do rather than :stir: Go have some fun of your choosing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter