Wow, I have never encountered a really rude cast member until today

DawnM

DIS Veteran
This cast member yelled at several people trying to get in to magic kingdom. When it was my turn to get my stroller checked she was rude to me too. I mean rude like I have not seen from a CM before.

Another nice CM ushered me to go through the detector, so I did, then went back for my stroller, only to have rude CM point at me and say, "GET BACK IN LINE AND WAIT YOUR TURN!"

I tried to explain that I was following directions but she was having none of it and yelled at me while I was talking and then yelled for me to go through the detector again. She knew I had already, she was just being difficult. The nice CM came running over to try to tell her I had already gone through but she was rude to him!

By the time it was all over, I was shaking I was so upset. Nice CM encouraged me to speak to a supervisor, so I did. Supervisor told me that the rude CM (I don't mind saying that her name is xxx and I have already written a complaint as well) didn't want to be there this am because she was supposed to be in another part of the park, so she was mad. I said, "I haven't even stepped into the park and I am shaking. She shouldn't be taking her anger out on visitors. In fact, I don't even think this is the right job for her and it certainly isn't magical."

Another CM (the one who did the security check of my bag) saw it and told me, "Yeah, we all would like her to not work in this area." I assume he was not meant to say that, but I really didn't care, it validated my concerns about her working at a place that is meant to be magical.

I would get it more if I had done something wrong, but I was following what I was told to do.

That's all, just needed to get that out of my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that these rare occurrences stand out in this way is testament to just how good Disney Cast Members really are. I applaud them for what they do and what they have to put up with (I've seen way more rude guests than CMs). Humans will have bad days, like the one you describe. We've experienced the odd bad CM experience as well (a boat captain stands out and one that grabbed our daughter at age 8, for which I did report them and they were reprimanded). But those cases are very rare for us. Even in these days of heightened crabbiness I still find CMs to doing their best to be magical. I appreciate that, because I know it's hard at times to keep smiling ;) Everyone can have a bad day now and then...

Sorry to hear that happened to you. My friend had a very similar experience last week. Almost identical actually. Was following instructions of one cast member, and got berated by another. 99% of cast members are lovely and kind, and they are the reason I keep going back. It sucks when one person can ruin all of the great work done by so many.

Last summer, we had an experience with a cast member at the monorail station at the Grand Floridian that was so gross I can still remember his face and his voice. He was mocking people about covid. Like openly mocking, going up to people's faces and yelling "fill in that space, it isn't 2020 anymore, what are you scared of" in such a gross tone. It was our party's first post-covid trip, and it just felt icky. You don't know if those people lost family, it just lacked empathy and humanity.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. My friend had a very similar experience last week. Almost identical actually. Was following instructions of one cast member, and got berated by another. 99% of cast members are lovely and kind, and they are the reason I keep going back. It sucks when one person can ruin all of the great work done by so many.

Last summer, we had an experience with a cast member at the monorail station at the Grand Floridian that was so gross I can still remember his face and his voice. He was mocking people about covid. Like openly mocking, going up to people's faces and yelling "fill in that space, it isn't 2020 anymore, what are you scared of" in such a gross tone. It was our party's first post-covid trip, and it just felt icky. You don't know if those people lost family, it just lacked empathy and humanity.
I hope you reported that CM. Otherwise nothing will change. As much as I give Cast Compliments, Cast Uncompliments are also warranted on rare occasions so that things like that can be addressed.

I hope you reported that CM. Otherwise nothing will change. As much as I give Cast Compliments, Cast Uncompliments are also warranted on rare occasions so that things like that can be addressed.
I didn't catch his name, but I swore if I saw him again I would. Annnnnd then our whole party actually got covid and were room-bound for the rest of our trip. Isn't that something lol

I didn't catch his name, but I swore if I saw him again I would. Annnnnd then our whole party actually got covid and were room-bound for the rest of our trip. Isn't that something lol
Oh no, I would have been all over that one(!) As much as I value great interactions, I equally do not for those scenarios...

wish I could say I have never heard of this before, but even pre covid traditions had become more like guidelines than you will get fired rules.....

It is a by product of the kinder gentler mouse, that puts the companies social standing over guest experience and IDK stockholder profits...

I usually get the cast members name and report it....

If someone is rude to you and you honestly think you are doing as you were instructed you should politely ask the cast member "to call their manager"

I’ve learned in this (fortunately very rare) type of incident to just roll my eyes, let them enjoy their little power-trip, try to not let it upset me, and then go off and have fun.
Unfortunately, this is becoming more than an outlier…
‘I fully believe most cast members are still trying to do the best they can, however, the bad apples are become more apparent…

however, these cast member get away with it with guess turned a blind eye,
if these cast members are not reported, and if Disney doesn’t correct them, they will breed more like them

I’ve learned in this (fortunately very rare) type of incident to just roll my eyes, let them enjoy their little power-trip, try to not let it upset me, and then go off and have fun.

That is far too mature and reasonable of a response for me 🤣

I don't think this is an issue of maturity, I think that if these things aren't reported, nothing will change. I am not a "Karen" and I let a lot of things go, but this was over the line for me AND the other CM was really encouraging me to say something. I think they were all a bit tired of her attitude.

Sounds like from what the other CMs stated - xxx needed to be told to punch out and go home. Maybe a day less pay will help her adjust her attitude to fit the place she is working.

YES they deal with lots of problem guests who don't listen, bring in everything but the kitchen sink, bring in items they shouldn't etc so at times they need to be more stern BUT sounds like she had a really really bad attitude in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
This CM should be fired or put into a role that does not interact with guests. Inexcusable.
Or receive additional or better training. I agree with the sentiment of @PalmettoPath that sometimes people just have a bad moment or a bad day (even Disney employees).

I too had a horrific experience with a security CM at DS a little over e year ago. Entering through the boat dock security, they pulled my partner aside for additional screening (can't remember why). I rolled our two year old through the security screening as instructed, but he then became upset because he wa separated from his mother. So I waited on the other side of the check point still in view of my partner so our son could see her. he immediately calmed down, but a security CM came over and told me I could not stand there. I calmly explained that I was just waiting on my partner, pointed at her, and said my son felt better being able to see her. He again directed me behind a barrier where my son wouldn't be able to see his mother. I asked if we could wait for just a moment so the boy wouldn't become upset again. CM declared that I could not and it was against their procedures.

Incredulous, I asked what procedure? I was literally standing in an open space, not blocking any views, there was no security CM standing behind me, and I was not blocking anybody's egress from the check point. Apparently, my questioning him set the guy off. So he stepped up to me in an aggressive fashion, got a few inches from my face, and told me to move my ***! I was in shock. I am disabled, walk with an assistive device, was pushing an upset toddler in a stroller, and about a half foot shorter than the security CM. Why in the world he thought it was appropriate to threaten me physically was just shocking to me. So I moved behind the fence erected next to the check point and my son cried for a minute til his mother arrived. Once she was there, I walked back over to the CM to ask for his name so i could report him. He scoffed and told me his name.

Later that day, after I had calmed down a bit (I too was shaking after the experience) I reported the incident. But I also explained that I understand people have bad days and bad moments. Who knows if something had set him off right before I arrived. I encouraged the supervisor to seek additional training on de-escalation for this employee. I often don't complain because I don't want to be responsible for someone losing their job, especially if I don't know whether its a habitual problem or not. But situations like this one (where he threatened me physically).

I also try to look at it from this perspective: I would hate for Disney to ban me from the resort based on one bad moment from me! I know there have been a couple times where I upbraided a CM needlessly. One time sticks out in my mind because I felt so awful about it just minutes after I cursed out a CM after receiving some frustrating and non-sense instructions from a CM in the parks. Moments afterward I knew it was a stupid mistake and I have never done it again (or previously, actually). Either way, I think its useful to keep in mind that anyone can have a bad moment and we shouldn't judge anyone based on their worst moment. And considering how helpful and friendly most CMs are, its a good reminder to be thankful the resorts are staffed with so many helpful, friendly people

Incredulous, I asked what procedure? I was literally standing in an open space, not blocking any views, there was no security CM standing behind me, and I was not blocking anybody's egress from the check point. Apparently, my questioning him set the guy off. So he stepped up to me in an aggressive fashion, got a few inches from my face, and told me to move my ***!
I am sorry this CM swore at you ~ that should never happen. And I understand how stressful these situations can be and how a crying toddler can compound this stress!. BUT your story is nothing like OP's. A CM told you (TWICE before losing his temper the third time) that you could not stand in a specific area near a security checkpoint and asked you to move, then you continued to argue with them. If it's security thing, it's a security thing...they don't have to explain why. It sounds to me like you escalated this. Again, it is unacceptable for a CM to swear at a guest, especially in front of children. The right thing for the CM to do would probably have been to call over trained security guards at that point and let them handle it; dealing with a guest who has been told several times to move away from a security checkpoint and refuses to do so is above any regular CM's paygrade.

Last edited:
I think this is unfortunately a byproduct of how hard it is to hire and retain good employees nowadays. So few people will dependably show up to work on time, work hard, and get along with others in this day and age. I run a factory and we have had a massive issue hiring / keeping good people since the pandemic started, so I suspect Disney is having some similar struggles as well. We have significantly increased pay over the last few years, but it is still just really hard to hire and keep quality employees.

It’s rare we encounter a bad apple. It did happen to be my very first interaction last trip. We arrived midday after our flight. Walking toward HS empty tapstyles the CM told me to close my UV umbrella. A half second later and I still was 10 ft away she screamed it at me. I was walking slowly repositioning my stuff so I could close it. As I was tapping in tried to tell her I was closing it but she just talked right over me. DH was waiting for me a few feet inside and said ‘Well that’s a fine how do you do?’ We just walked away giggling. There’s no excuse but I did excuse her. It was hot and I’ve really very rarely had a nasty interaction. It’s less than once per trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter