Wow, I have never encountered a really rude cast member until today

This CM should be fired or put into a role that does not interact with guests. Inexcusable.
That was probably their objective. They didn't want to work there and if they had been moved from another area in the park, they might think their union would back them up for a wrongful termination.

Yes, there are rude people but we have all had bad days. Please refrain from specifically mentioning any CMs names here. Guest took appropriate actions to report the CM, names do not need to be recorded here.

Discussion is welcome but refrain from calling out CMs by name.

Thank you.

I agree it is jarring to encounter an out-of-sorts cast member. It doesn’t happen often.

One minor incident that always bothered me. I know people hate when groups of teens chant and clap but in this case it was a groups of 4 in line for jungle cruise. I overheard one say it was his birthday which surprised his friends. They wished him happy birthday and started to sing a song. Not loudly at all in fact it was obvious they were trying to be quiet and low key (fwiw all of this in Spanish). The CM heard them and went ballistic screeching “stop it now! No singing in line!” The whole queue got quiet and the kids looked mortified. Went from all smiles and happiness to hurt and confused. It was so out of place and really dampened the mood.
Since it was in the Jungle Cruise queue, do you think the CM may have been joking? I was a skipper there and could definitely see myself saying that in a joking manner.

I love the CM's but people act like they are all these perfect workers when they are not. Some are great. Some are good. Some are bad.

That being said. I can't really think of a time I personally had a bad experience that was memorable with a CM at the parks or resorts.

Since it was in the Jungle Cruise queue, do you think the CM may have been joking? I was a skipper there and could definitely see myself saying that in a joking manner.
Absolutely not. It wasn’t a polite request - no wink or smile. They were pretty much shrieking.

Not rude as such but downright nasty. We are from the UK and were in M.K. just after the London bombing and walking past a photographer who stopped us and said "You won't be so smug about bombings now will you?" I'm sure nobody in the UK was smug about the USA bombings, they are all just wicked. We too upset to do anything, just tried to make the best of a rotten start.

Not rude as such but downright nasty. We are from the UK and were in M.K. just after the London bombing and walking past a photographer who stopped us and said "You won't be so smug about bombings now will you?" I'm sure nobody in the UK was smug about the USA bombings, they are all just wicked. We too upset to do anything, just tried to make the best of a rotten start.
Wow, that is just horrible and uncalled for. It was plain mean! I hope you reported this CM right away. Sorry you had to endure that comment.

Or receive additional or better training. I agree with the sentiment of @PalmettoPath that sometimes people just have a bad moment or a bad day (even Disney employees).

I too had a horrific experience with a security CM at DS a little over e year ago. Entering through the boat dock security, they pulled my partner aside for additional screening (can't remember why). I rolled our two year old through the security screening as instructed, but he then became upset because he wa separated from his mother. So I waited on the other side of the check point still in view of my partner so our son could see her. he immediately calmed down, but a security CM came over and told me I could not stand there. I calmly explained that I was just waiting on my partner, pointed at her, and said my son felt better being able to see her. He again directed me behind a barrier where my son wouldn't be able to see his mother. I asked if we could wait for just a moment so the boy wouldn't become upset again. CM declared that I could not and it was against their procedures.

Incredulous, I asked what procedure? I was literally standing in an open space, not blocking any views, there was no security CM standing behind me, and I was not blocking anybody's egress from the check point. Apparently, my questioning him set the guy off. So he stepped up to me in an aggressive fashion, got a few inches from my face, and told me to move my ***! I was in shock. I am disabled, walk with an assistive device, was pushing an upset toddler in a stroller, and about a half foot shorter than the security CM. Why in the world he thought it was appropriate to threaten me physically was just shocking to me. So I moved behind the fence erected next to the check point and my son cried for a minute til his mother arrived. Once she was there, I walked back over to the CM to ask for his name so i could report him. He scoffed and told me his name.

Later that day, after I had calmed down a bit (I too was shaking after the experience) I reported the incident. But I also explained that I understand people have bad days and bad moments. Who knows if something had set him off right before I arrived. I encouraged the supervisor to seek additional training on de-escalation for this employee. I often don't complain because I don't want to be responsible for someone losing their job, especially if I don't know whether its a habitual problem or not. But situations like this one (where he threatened me physically).

I also try to look at it from this perspective: I would hate for Disney to ban me from the resort based on one bad moment from me! I know there have been a couple times where I upbraided a CM needlessly. One time sticks out in my mind because I felt so awful about it just minutes after I cursed out a CM after receiving some frustrating and non-sense instructions from a CM in the parks. Moments afterward I knew it was a stupid mistake and I have never done it again (or previously, actually). Either way, I think its useful to keep in mind that anyone can have a bad moment and we shouldn't judge anyone based on their worst moment. And considering how helpful and friendly most CMs are, its a good reminder to be thankful the resorts are staffed with so many helpful, friendly people
As per your last paragraph, I had a situation at the WoD store at DS. It wasn't a rude cast member, but one that couldn't comprehend my Disney gift card. It was crazy noisy in there, and when I went to make a transaction with my gift card, she thought I was purchasing the card instead of using it to pay for my item. I just couldn't get through to her and ten minutes went by to no avail. The customer next to me tried to help but I was getting frustrated. My brother came up and tried to no avail. I finally said never mind and just put the item back. Next thing I know my brother was talking to a manager and I left the store to go outside. Here comes brother all proud and hands me the item which I got for free due to the hassle. I had mixed feelings about it and told my brother I hope she didn't lose her job over it. It was just her not understanding and me getting frustrated. I always wonder if she got in trouble, I hope not :sad2:

Last edited:
As per your last paragraph, I had a situation at the WoD store at DS. It wasn't a rude cast member. but one that couldn't comprehend my Disney gift card. It was crazy noisy in there, and when I went to make a transaction with my gift card, she thought I was purchasing the card instead of using it to pay for my item. I just couldn't get through to her and ten minutes went by to no avail. The customer next to me tried to help but I was getting frustrated. My brother came up and tried to no avail. I finally said never mind and just put the item back. Next thing I know my brother was talking to a manager and I left the store to go outside. Here comes brother all proud and hands me the item which I got for free due to the hassle. I had mixed feelings about it and told my brother I hope she didn't lose her job over it. It was just her not understanding and me getting frustrated. I always wonder if she got in trouble, I hope not :sad2:
From my very limited experiences, Disney does a pretty good job of trying to make things right when one of their employees makes a mistake. Doesn't make up for the frustrtaion you experienced, but certainly makes it a little better

We’ve had probably close to 100 days in the parks over the last 22 years and I really can’t recall a single negative CM experience.

The closest I can get is our server one time at Ohana that “forgot” to bring our Disney Rewards card back to the table that still had around $300 on it after we presented it to pay for breakfast. He said he thought it was just a regular gift card that had nothing left on it. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

It has been my experience that Disney is no different than most other employers in the customer service industry. 95 percent of the employees are there because they believe in what they are doing and the other 5 percent are the reason we are having this discussion.

Pre COVID, imho, Disney washed that 5 percent out to about 1 percent pretty quickly.

Post COVID, again imho, Disney simply can’t get enough warm bodies to wash those 5 percent out before they’re a problem ….

That lead us to where we are today

I haven't really been following hiring from Disney. I assumed they were short staffed because the parks aren't as clean as they used to be. Trash doesn't get picked up immediately, or even within the hour. We went to a restaurant and there were several tables that needed to be cleaned/bussed, and they weren't cleaned for the duration of our meal.

I thought they were just cutting costs. Is it that they can't find employees?

That is absolutely disgusting. What a vile thing to say to someone.

What the HECK? That is awful.

I’ve hesitated to mention our experience, but it really still bugs me a bit. (O.K., a lot) My s/o and I had waited quite a while to get into Trader Sams at the Poly, but we were excited to experience the entertainment everyone talked about. Unfortunately, there was standing room only, but still, we went to the far right (looking at the bar), right up to the bar, and waited for a bar tender to notice us. And we waited. And waited. after about 15 or 20 minutes of watching the guys talk to customers,(ETA schmooze was autocorrected to snooze) do bartender things, I thought I’d try calling one of them to get their attention.

Now, we’re both patient people, not demanding, and we realized the place was busy and we needed to wait our turn. But these guys never once bothered to even acknowledge our presence. And they weren’t so busy that they couldn’t stand there and share convo and laughs with other customers.

So, having finally realized we’d be standing there till closing if I didn’t say something, having (politely; I’m not a rude or loud person) gotten their attention, one guy deigned to come to us, but not without a few rude comments about waiting our turn (we did) and they were busy (not so busy they couldn’t stand there and talk). It wasn’t just in what he said, which was rude, but the way he said it. He acted as though we’d just marched in and shouted for attention.

We still left a tip (I don’t believe in non-tipping as most servers live off their tips as their pay is often much less than minimum), and I wasn’t rude back. But I’ve never had that kind of experience with a server in any restaurant or bar, and I’m in my mid-70’s. I’m still shocked that it happened in Disney World.

Last edited:
I’ve hesitated to mention our experience, but it really still bugs me a bit. (O.K., a lot) My s/o and I had waited quite a while to get into Trader Sams at the Poly, but we were excited to experience the entertainment everyone talked about. Unfortunately, there was standing room only, but still, we went to the far right (looking at the bar), right up to the bar, and waited for a bar tender to notice us. And we waited. And waited. after about 15 or 20 minutes of watching the guys talk to customers,(ETA schmooze was autocorrected to snooze) do bartender things, I thought I’d try calling one of them to get their attention.

Now, we’re both patient people, not demanding, and we realized the place was busy and we needed to wait our turn. But these guys never once bothered to even acknowledge our presence. And they weren’t so busy that they couldn’t stand there and share convo and laughs with other customers.

So, having finally realized we’d be standing there till closing if I didn’t say something, having (politely; I’m not a rude or loud person) gotten their attention, one guy deigned to come to us, but not without a few rude comments about waiting our turn (we did) and they were busy (not so busy they couldn’t stand there and talk). It wasn’t just in what he said, which was rude, but the way he said it. He acted as though we’d just marched in and shouted for attention.

We still left a tip (I don’t believe in non-tipping as most servers live off their tips as their pay is often much less than minimum), and I wasn’t rude back. But I’ve never had that kind of experience with a server in any restaurant or bar, and I’m in my mid-70’s. I’m still shocked that it happened in Disney World.
We are the same way always try to treat everyone with respect rarely are complainers and are extremely patient. We have been very lucky with Disney. There have been 2 really bad in person experiences that I can remember over the years and one sounds similar.

Maybe 5 or so years ago we went to a Johnny Rockets for lunch after a movie at a mall about 30 minutes away and they were so busy they had no tables available only stools at the counter. We sat there for about 20 minutes no one came by to even take a drink order but everyone around us was waited on. We finally flagged someone down who was passing by to nicely explain our issue. She said she was a manager and they were short staffed and made like we were being inpatient. A good manager would have offered to take our order but she kept on with the attitude and eventually said she would see if she could find someone making it sound like we were inconveniencing her. At that point we told her not to bother and left and ate at the food court instead.

The other one just happened on a recent Med cruise. Not Disney. I don’t know what this guy’s title was he was not the cruise director but he had many jobs. My Mom who is slow and does not have a lot of stamina was with us so we only signed up for one excursion so at the different ports we could go at our own pace. The day of our excursion we were told to meet in the theater at a certain time and were given a number corresponding with our excursion and they would be calling us by groups. Sometimes we got off the ship on level 4 and others level 1. We found out when our group was called we had to go down the stairs from level 5 to level 1 and were a little behind because of Mom’s slowness. We got to the bottom and the guy stats yelling at us that we were holding up the bus and she should have come down earlier on the elevator. At that moment my DH realized he left his bag in the theater so had to run up and get it. The guy continued to berate us about how inconsiderate we were and the bus should just leave without us, etc. A few days later we had be on a tender and you had to get a tender ticket if not on a ship’s excursion. We got to the spot about 8 am where they were giving them out and had number 22. There was an issue with the tenders so took 4 hours for us to be called down to the waiting area. After what happened the other day when they asked those with tickets 21 and 22 to line up to go down the stairs Mom asked the person if she could take the elevator to meet the group. We get to the bottom and of course the awful guy is there. He immediately started with us that we were there too early. We tried to explain they called our number and because she is slow asked if she could come down by elevator and meet the group but he kept insisting they were only on number 17 and we came down too early and how I better hide the tender tickets because we jumped the line and others who are supposed to be there will be upset with us and how inconsiderate we were, etc. We tried to again explain but it was like talking to a brick wall.

Last edited:
We've had a few less than ideal CM interactions over the years. Most CM's are very good, and many are exceptional.

One problem I recently encountered happened when trying to buy something and using the AP discount. I try to be ready when I get to register, so I had already pulled out my card and ID when CM demanded to see my ticket, and not in a nice way. I was confused, since I was already showing her my AP. Apparently, WDW now wants AP holders to show their AP in the app or MDE, but this was not explained to me by her (or anyone else).

Other times I have run into problems with CM's it has tended to be when something on WDW's end malfunctions, but the CM's do not want to believe me. (Much of the time, my magic bands have not worked properly.) Trying to get the problem fixed is time consuming, so I don't bother unless it is absolutely necessary.

Just to put a positive spin on this - I had asked a cast member what the cost would be to move my inlaws from the Carribean Beach to the BWV, where we were staying. This was so they could be closer to my wife, who they now only see once or twice a year. She asked for a minute to look and when she came back she said "The additional cost would be about $1,800....but we will do it for free." It was a very special pixie dust moment for us and reminds me that for every bad apple...there are probably 10 or 12 good ones. If/when I do encounter a bad one, I limit the interaction, move on and don't give it a second thought as I know that someone else will be around the corner to brighten my day.

I haven't really been following hiring from Disney. I assumed they were short staffed because the parks aren't as clean as they used to be. Trash doesn't get picked up immediately, or even within the hour. We went to a restaurant and there were several tables that needed to be cleaned/bussed, and they weren't cleaned for the duration of our meal.

I thought they were just cutting costs. Is it that they can't find employees?
Although Disney laid off 7000 employees system wide the parks and the resort restaurants have been, pretty much understaffed since they reopened....

Disney's reasoning for not bring back dinning plans for so long was lack of staff....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter