Wow those room prices at WDW!!!

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
I had some expiring stray points so I nabbed what I could find, a Kidani savanna studio for this month. I gifted it to my BFF who lives in Florida.

They have been planning their trip and she looked up the price of what it would be if they paid cash:

$745 a night!!!!!

Glad I bought DVC in '96!

My wife and I have not paid for a room since January 1997. we joined DVC on that trip.

Last year a friend was wondering what a room for her and her grandchild would cost the first week in December at a moderate hotel would cost.
For fun I looked it up and several other categories of hotels, boy was a shocked.

It is amazing how much money DVC has saved my wife and I over the years. Six of our first Disney cruises were done with points way back in the beginning.

My wife and I have not paid for a room since January 1997. we joined DVC on that trip.

Last year a friend was wondering what a room for her and her grandchild would cost the first week in December at a moderate hotel would cost.
For fun I looked it up and several other categories of hotels, boy was a shocked.

It is amazing how much money DVC has saved my wife and I over the years. Six of our first Disney cruises were done with points way back in the beginning.
Did you do the math? I'm too lazy to figure out, we paid 35 grand and 1200 plus 8 % each year. And then 150 days at an avg of $400 a night (over 20 years). Note all numbers are just numbers. I don't even remember what we paid back then or the dues over the years.

I'd be curious if any math people did this.

I have never sat down and done the actual math, however I look at what DVC cost us and what rooms cost now and think we are glad we bought back then.

Last time we paid for a room was at the Wilderness Lodge back in January 1997.
That was back when we would buy the room and park ticket package for twelve nights for one price, however I also remember seeing a tip in at the front desk with resort prices on it for some ware around $150 to $170 a night not including tax?
I know for a fact the in 1999 the All Star Music resort was $72 dollars a night not including tax.

Over the years our dues have gone up but I still look at it this way, In my mind our first six Disney cruises we used our points for many years ago instead of paying cash, pretty much paid for large part of the vacation club itself.

After that in my mind, everything else, I am vacationing on my yearly dues cost and that is still lower than if I had to pay for the same rooms.

I have a week at poly std that is 7 nights for spring break. I looked for the cash price. $6000! Crazy!

We stayed in Lakeview Poly Villa for 4 nights Dec 16-20 and the rack rate was $1400/nt. Crazy too.

Cash reservation would need to be 50% discount or better before I’d consider booking that.

We stayed in Lakeview Poly Villa for 4 nights Dec 16-20 and the rack rate was $1400/nt. Crazy too.

Cash reservation would need to be 50% discount or better before I’d consider booking that.
Two bedroom at BRV was that price for cash last June. My total trip would’ve been around $14k without tickets. It is an amazing resort but I would not pay that.

1990....I remember $65 per night at Carribean Beach...I thought it was too much.:rotfl2:
$65/nt? We can only dream of that today.

I remember seeing Poly discount at $330/nt years ago and thinking who can afford that?

During our stay when poly was $1400/nt, moderates started at $475/nt before any discount (and CBR didn’t even have inventory any time I checked) 🤣 Nuts!

We paid $500/night for a room at the GF 15 years ago, then $1000/night in a CCR 2 bedroom in 2018. I tried pricing those same rooms out at today's prices but MDE was glitchy.

Yes, the prices are crazy and keep getting crazier! If you are going to pay for staying onsite, DVC will "pay for itself" soon enough, imo!

We bought 150 points at HH in 1999 with a cast member discount (local Disney store employee). I kept track of how much our 4 and 5 night stays (2 bedroom units) in 2000 (BWV), 2001 (OKW), 2002(WLV) and two trips in 2003 (HH, OKW) would have cost us (roughly 14,000) and that is about $4,000 more than we initially paid, not including annual dues. So, we have definitely gotten our $ worth. We did add on 50 VB points in 2005 (discount/deal).

Of course, prior to staying DVC, we were offsite or All Stars. No way would I have splurged for the stays we have enjoyed with DVC.

Last edited:
In 2007 and 2008 I purchased 100 BRV points, 75 and 50 point contracts at BCV for approx $18,000. I just booked a two Bedroom from Dec 18’th through Dec 27’th for 463 points. The dues will be approx $4300 but if I booked directly through Disney, it was in excess of $23,000. Initial investment back in one trip and that doesn’t count our previous Christmas vacations. Three years ago our Christmas vacation cost us $3600 in dues but if booked directly through Disney was over $19,000. DVC paid for itself in less than eight years

I hadn’t looked at cash prices for many years, but for our family trip in 2020, December 20-26, we booked two P/G view 2BR at BWV. I couldn’t find the cash price, but I calculated our cost (capital plus dues) was less than $450/night per villa.

It seems we paid about $1200 per night or so for a Grand Floridan 1 BR Villa in 2013 maybe?

May have actually been more, I honestly can't remember.

I'm very familiar with WDW cash room prices because... I still book them. lol I only have so many DVC points and like to go more often. I'll be there this weekend at Port Orleans Riverside paying $260/nt.

I'm really tempted to get a nice sized resale contract for the sleep around points.

:insert Ariel I Want More gif here: 😂

We were roped into a timeshare spiel at the Sheraton Vistana Village and all I told the person when they showed us the price, no thanks I will just buy more DVC points! Their rooms were not appealing st all.

It blows my mind that they can sell rooms at the cash prices too.

Think about all the options available in the area and how much money you could save staying off or slightly off site. Then think about the access you could buy with the savings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter