YES, I'm taking pics of the food, get over it! aka : our summer dining reviews :)

We are not eating at any of the places you are reviewing BUT I thought I would read to see if you had recovered from your trip with your sister!!

Nice to see you and Grumpy enjoying WDW again!!

Coral Reef lunch

This is the place where one family gave me weird looks when I was taking pics of our food and then came the title for these reviews :)

Our ADR was at 12.30 but we were very early & got seated around 11.45. We had been doing Epcot EMH since 8am sans breakfast and were starving ! I don't think we took one look at the fish except for the ones that were in our plates :rotfl:

Grumpy started with the Sea and Land - Grilled shrimp with cucumber salad and barbecued beef skewer with creamy Polenta.

DSC00227.jpg

Her comment : "Yes, I like the samples, now bring me the rest of it!"

I had the Mixed Greens Salad - Topped with Key lime-herb vinaigrette.

DSC00228.jpg

Nice and fresh ! There were apple slices in the salad that my mom ate, I don't like fruit mixed with veggies. The little flat bread on top was mighty spicy!

On the side of the salad you can see my drink, the Strawberry Stinger. I don't know why I ordered that, probably because the name was cute. I hate thick drinks. Had one sip and didn't come near it again.

For the main course, Grumpy had trouble deciding between the steak and the salmon sandwich. In the end she went for the Blackened Catfish - Served over pepperjack cheese grits, topped with a smoked tomato compote, and drizzled with a balsamic glaze.

DSC00229.jpg

It had quite a kick to it and she loved that. However she didn't like the grits at all (her first time eating grits).

For a change, I got the Grilled Mahi Mahi - served with cashew-jasmine rice topped with a spicy pineapple chutney finished with a malibu rum beurre blanc.

DSC00231.jpg

This is sooooooo good. I can't get enough of that sauce. The mahi was great too - beat Kona's and definitely beat Fulton's, by a long shot. Kona's mahi was dry but Coral Reef's is moist, tender, and just plain yum. I couldn't taste the alcohol in that dish at all.

Thumbs up for Coral Reef ! We waited a long time to try it due to the bad reviews, but it's now one of our favorite restaurants on property.

Im so glad to hear you had a good experience at Coral Reef. We are trying it for the first time in Sept. Now I can't wait!:cool1:

I agree that Coral Reef is one of the best restaurants on property! We ate there 10 years ago and it was so so. Now it is yumm!!!

Cosmic Ray's

Not many choices at MK during evening EMH. We felt like a burger, and Cosmic Ray's was close. We both went for the double bacon cheeseburger. Those burgers were BIG ! We loaded up at the fixins' bar (mushrooms !!!!).

DSC00333.jpg

It was good enough for CS and kept us going for the rest of the night. I ate at Cosmic Ray's in December and had the chicken meal then, it was better than the burger. I'd get the burger again just so I could get mushrooms at the fixins bar tho :)

Kona breakfast
(aka : sugar overload)

Grumpy had the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes - Served with Macadamia nut butter, pineapple sauce, and your choice of ham, bacon or sausage.

DSC00367.jpg

She didn't like the ham at all, too thick and sweet for her. But she did love those pancakes ! I tasted a bit and they were FULL of those macadamia nuts. They don't just throw a few in there, they were everywhere.
Grumpy's advice : ask for the butter to be served on the side.

I finally got to try the Tonga Toast - Banana-stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar with your choice of ham, bacon or sausage.

DSC00368.jpg

Gosssssssssh it was good. Never had something so sugary in my life (and if you listen to my dad, I should have been a diabetic coma for the past 20 years), not even the treats from Goofy's Candy co.

Kona also has their own "Lilikoi" juice, which is a mix of orange, passion fruit and guava. It's very sweet as well.

After breakfast we went to the outlets to shop. We were there about 3 hours. When we came back to our room, both my mom & I literally CRASHED. I only crash like that after a sugar rush. My mom NEVER does that. We both had nasty headaches and the mere thought of sugar made us nauseous.

While the food tasted great, I don't think I'll ever eat Tonga Toast again. It wasn't worth feeling the way I felt that afternoon.

Boma dinner

No pics of Boma, sorry. It was way too dark in there to bother taking pics. Our original ADR had been for 5.55PM but it was on the same day as Kona and we crashed for too long. I called & changed it to 9.50PM.

We had our favorites : cinnamon & raisin rice, peanut rice, falafel, cole slaw, salads, hummus, a little bit of mac'n'cheese from the kiddies' buffet.... Grumpy tried the prime rib which she loved, and some salmon which she thought was just OK (too much sauce).

We were still under Kona's sugar influence and didn't even go anywhere near the dessert pod :scared1: Usually I make 2-3 trips to the dessert bar at Boma!!! That was SO ODD ! Seriously, just the idea of walking in front of a zebra dome made me sick. Watermelon is the only thing we got for dessert.

It was still a great meal, and Boma was very busy even at 10pm. Boma is great - don't worry if you're not what they call an adventurous eater, they have plenty of "normal" food too. Do try the cole slaw, it's the best ever.

:upsidedow

Subcribing!!! Great reviews!!! Love the Tonga Toast :)

Cape May breakfast

This was a last minute reservation, we decided that morning to go to Hollywood Studios instead of MK and switched our ADR at Crystal Palace for Cape May.

Our server was Linda and she was soooooooooo sweet !!! She forgot about us at first :) but then was so helpful, she more than made up for it.

The characters were great, especially Dale. Grumpy wanted a pic of me with him but she couldn't work my camera. And when I say she couldn't work it, let me elaborate : first she cut our heads off the picture, then she turned it off when I gave it to her, then she was holding it upside down, looking through the lens. Dale had to sit down to catch his breath !!! He was a good sport though and we did finally manage to take a pic.

On to the food : lots of choices, some healthy, some definitely not.

Chocolate pastry, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, bacon & Mickey waffle:

DSC00371.jpg

Cherry danish, bacon, scrambled eggs, breakfast pizza (SO GOOD), biscuit and bread pudding.

DSC00377.jpg

and here's why Crayola was banned from our house in the 80s.

DSC00378.jpg

We had a late ADR (10.50, the last one available). The characters stayed well after 11am when they're supposed to be closing the restaurant. We saw them at least twice each. When we left, Dale was still busy coloring with a little girl. This is not a super popular character meal, so you get more time with the characters there. We'll be back for sure!
DSC00380.jpg

DSC00373.jpg
DSC00376.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen the Cape May characters before. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing Cape May breakfast, we have our DS's 11th bday breakfast booked there so we can take boat to HS and hadn't heard too many reviews on it. Glad you and Grumpy had a better trip this time. :)

enjoying your reviews - I love Kona and feel the same way about the tonga toast. I wish you could just get a taste of it.

THanks so much for all the great reviews and pix. We are going in Nov and have ADR's at many of the places. I was getting worried about Coral Reef. I had read so many bad reviews. It was great to hear you had a fantastic meal. We have Cape May booked for breakfast and dinner - looking forward to that now, too. My DD's will love all the characters.
Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter