Yet ANOTHER droning MR TR - 3/13-20

The next part of the TR will take a while...mainly because I have 279 photos to go through and decide which ones I want to post and which I don't, and then notate them.
:scared1:
So, bear with me please...

Enjoying the TR!! Very funny. I saw your son as a dwarf in Golden Mickeys. He looked like he was on cloud 9...very cute. :cloud9:

We asked him if he wanted to do the "Friendship Rocks" event on Saturday, and he told us, "No, being a dwarf was enough fame for one trip." :scared1::rotfl::lmao:

Later he changed his mind and went and did the show. He is such a comedian.

Good Morning! It's time to roll out of bed, crawl to your stateroom window/veranda/whatever and take a look out at the beauty of Puerto Vallarta!

Unless you're on the Port side of the ship. In that case, this is what you saw:

Such excitement. Such romance, So NOT "Night of the Iguana." Oh well.

Since we had a morning excursion, and had to be in Studio Sea no later than 9:40am, we ordered the continental breakfast from room service the night before. Freshly showered, fed and ready for our trek into the dangerous world that is Mexico (I watch too much news, don't I?).

We were early to the Studio, so we wandered outside on Deck 4 and took some photos to memorialize the moment.

9:45 comes along, and the 65(!) of us gather together in Studio Sea for instructions. We are all handed Donald stickers and we troop out and down the stairs to the gangway. After swiping our KTTW cards, we're back on dry land again. We march out to two busses and load up for our 45-50 minute journey to the restaurant where this event will occur.

We are doing a Cooking Experience excursion. DCL takes us to a restaurant and we practice cutting our fingers off while we make authentic Mexican dishes, and then poison ourselves by eating what we cook. And then they stop off and we can spend money on authentic Mexican trinkets on the way back if we want.

However, once we get on the bus, our tour guide Joana tells us that we are shopping first. She says there are two reasons for this... 1) We can use the restroom since it's a long drive to the facility, and 2) If we shop on the way back, it adds an additional hour to the trip because of traffic.

Ok, I can live with that. I mean, I'm already broke from buying up half the precious stone collection in Cabo yesterday, so I had no intention of shopping in the first place. However, restroom breaks are a good idea.

Once we're on the bus, and on our way, it's time for the obligatory pictures to show the folks back home that we're having the time of our lives.

On the way out to the torture facility, we stopped off in a small town to tour a tortilla factory and get a first-hand look at the Mexico way of life. The tortillas we sampled were hot, fresh and delicious. We then walked a couple of blocks through the town, through a small store, past the town square and through the town's Catholic Church. We then reboarded the busses and continued on our way to the restaurant/torture facility.

Tortilla Factory, 7 days a week, 6am to 6pm.

Town of Ixtapa photos

Ixtapa Church photos

As we roll past the local prison, and a military checkpoint with enough automatic firepower to make a Steven Seagal movie, the scene fades to black and the following note appears on your screen:

To Be Continued...

Good morning and welcome back to our continuing saga...

Finally we arrived at the Countryside Restaurant, between Ixtapa and Las Palmas, Mexico.

So, under strict instruction we managed to slice up some tomatoes, jalepenos, onions and cilantro. We made two different kinds of salsa, refried some beans, and then got to press our own tortillas!

Finally we made Chili Rellanos and downed complimentary tequilla shots. Then we waddled back to the busses and returned to our home away from home.

Once we returned to the pier, we wandered around and took a couple of photos and then got back on the ship.

Somewhere along the way, the combination of chili rellano that didn't taste good, Mexican cheese, and tequilla shot combined and made me sick to my stomach. After getting on the boat, all I felt like doing was lie on the bed and try not to throw up. I was down for about an hour or so, but bounced back in time to see Toy Story the Musical, and then go to dinner at Triton's.

DS11 abandoned us for The Edge, but DS9 watched the show with us and then took off for Oceaneer's Lab, so it was DW and I for dinner at Triton's. Very romantic and nice.

I love your TR! I love all the pictures and the details. The cooking looks fun but I'm sorry you got :sick:.

Great trip report Dave! So, we're sailing 4/17 and are signed up to do the Mexican Cooking Experience also...I can't tell, did you enjoy it or it is a suggested pass? We have two boys, 9 and 12...it certainly looks like fun but the "I got sick part", ummm, sounds not so fun, lol! :sick::rotfl:

Great trip report Dave! So, we're sailing 4/17 and are signed up to do the Mexican Cooking Experience also...I can't tell, did you enjoy it or it is a suggested pass? We have two boys, 9 and 12...it certainly looks like fun but the "I got sick part", ummm, sounds not so fun, lol! :sick::rotfl:

Everything up to the Chili Rellano is a GO! :cool1: :thumbsup2

The cheese they use in Mexico is non-pasturized. If you're not used to it, pass on making it. I recommend the experience 100%. DW has a severe dairy allergy, so they gave her chicken to stuff the chili with. Then it is dipped in a egg-white based batter and fried. I did not like the taste of the chili, but I've never really liked chili rellanos, personally.

It is a experience that you do not want to miss. You get a up close and personal experience with Mexico that most tourists never know exists.

I do need to tell you, though, that the first drink when you get there is free. You can get a margarita or soda or beer (I think). After that, bottles of beer are $3USD and bottles of soda are $2USD.

I went through 2 bottles of Pacifico beer, and then the complimentary farewell shot of tequila. I think that's what did me in, along with the cheese and the chili.

Bottom line - would I do it again? Yes I would. I would also grab 2 of the fresh tortillas at the tortillaria, too.

And you get back early enough that you can still walk over to the beach and spend a couple of hours in the sun, if you want.

Dear diary,

I fear we are lost. We spent the morning floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Finally the Captain figured out which button started the engines and we are now cruising along at about 500 feet per hour. We're just barely making headway.

One of the officers was explaining it in the Cove Cafe this morning. He said that we cannot be close to Cabo when we do the fireworks. Oh, did I forget to mention that the Pirates in the Caribbean show is tonight?

So, we are basically cruising in large leisurely circles in the mouth of the Gulf of California. The seas are mostly calm, with a gentle roll to them.

It's now 1:30pm ship's time and I'm sitting in the Outlook Lounge, overlooking the Quiet Cove pool. This is what I am looking at.

About 60deg off the starboard side, I can see mountains on the distant horizon. There is a light haze on the horizon and some whispy clouds in the sky, but it is a perfect day to be on the water.

I am seeing a LOT of people sporting sunburns from yesterday in PV. There were a lot of people who took advantage of beach excursions, but did not appear to have taken advantage of sunscreen, Two little girls at dinner last night were trying to use ice packs to cool their burned faces down. Poor, unhappy kids.

A little while ago, there was a gathering of Princesses in the lobby atrium. The line started forming about 11:45 for a 12:15 appearance. It snaked across the lobby and down the hallway past Triton's and into the Art Gallery. About 12:00, Cruise Director Clayton, the ultimate SCM, came by and handed out “guaranteed photo” tickets to the first half of the line. He said that if we wanted to leave the line, as long as we were back by the end of the appearance, about 12:30, we would be guaranteed a photo with each princess. I don't think anybody left the line.

SCMs came around and handed out cookies, and we all waited. There is a lot to be said of Disney Magic, when a little girl who is a bit tired, probably hungry from not having lunch yet, and really not into standing patiently, starts jumping up and down and cheering when she sees a Disney Princess approach.

When the Princesses came down the stairs, there were a LOT of excited smiles on the girls in line, both young and old. DW had her picture taken with Tiana, Belle, Ariel, Cinderella and Snow White. Now she is only missing Lilo and Stitch.

Since the ship is only making headway (barely moving) the stabilizers are not engaged. There is a very slow side to side roll with the ocean waves. I'm watching the water in the QC pool move from side to side, and a bit of front-to-back motion as well. We're moving a little faster now, probably to combat the motion some.

Later this afternoon, we are going to watch “Gnomeo and Juliet” in 3D and then “Mars Needs Moms”, the new Disney movie, also in “Disney Digital 3D,” whatever that means.

We're back from the movies, and dinner. “Gnomeo & Juliet” is really cute. The first two photos are in the Buena Vista Theater, before "Gnomeo & Juliet" started. “Mars Needs Moms” is a feel-good movie that will bring a tear to your eye, like any good Disney movie should. We also had a meeting with Pirate Minnie, so DW had another photo taken.

I have seen a few 3D movies over the years, but the Disney Digital 3D is the best technology I've seen. It was awesome watching, even if you have to wear the glasses.

I want to take a minute and talk about the Pirates menu tonight. I was very unhappy with it. I ordered the Steak. It was more like a thick slice of roast beef, and it came with some sort of potato-like thing that didn't taste good. I ordered a side of the Captain Jack BBQ Spare Ribs, and the sauce was horrible I had one bite, and left the rest on the table. DW had seafood pasta and she said that it was good, so that's something.

I captured a so-so picture of another DISBoard cruiser in the WD Theatre, before "Mars Needs Moms" started. And we snapped some photos of our servers in their pirate attire, too.

So far, except for dinner tonight, everything has been wonderful. Tomorrow we are back in Cabo, and it's the Captain's Gala, and Semi-Formal night. I don't think we're going to stay up for the Pirates show and fire works tonight, though. DS11 will go to the show with The Edge crew, though.

Good-night!

Photos from Day 5

Another great update. Sorry to hear your tummy didn't agree with you after your excursion. :-( But glad it didn't take you too long to bounce back!

Looks like DH and I are in your picture of QC pool. :rotfl:

Well, I had to finish editing the photos, and work gets in the way some, too.

The pictures are done and now I have to finish writing. My copy of "Trip Reporting for Dummies" was overdue at the library, so I had to wait 24 hours to check it back out.

Back to Cabo for a second try at fun. This time I was making DW leave the credit card in the room safe. Not a problem as I later found out. She had CASH! More of my hard earned money to spend.

Up early to feast at Beach Blanket Buffet and then get the "first tender" off the ship. Yeah right. Omlette feasting too a while. However, we came into Cabo just as the sun was coming up, so we had a wonderful view of Cabo in the early light

We were in the Walt Disney Theater early enough that we made the first or second tender off the ship. The WD Theater? Yep. That's where you go to queue up for tender tickets. They line you up in rows, and as the boats come alongside the ship, they send down a couple of rows of people. Very orderly and sane.

The first problem we encountered (not really a problem for us) was that Cabo is an hour behind ship time, so it was about only about 7:00 local time when we made the pier. Too early to shop and party, but perfect to sit and people watch and wait for the people who took our money on Tuesday to show up for our tour.

And wait and watch. Gee, I wonder what ship they came off of. Carnival Spirit was in port also. She arrived just after we did.

And watch and wait.

8:30 local time comes and still no tour operator. Everybody else was out hawking tours and rides, and the person who had our money was apparently taking a leisurely breakfast. Finally one of the other operators said they would take care of it and provided us the tour for the same price we had been quoted. They would work it out with the missing tour operator later.

Finally, we're headed back out into the bay...but in a small boat!

I don't know the names of the formations, so don't ask. Just enjoy the pictures. ;)

Sea Lions and part of another boat

As part of our tour package, they would drop us off on any beach we choose, and pick us back up whenever we wanted. We choose Pelican Beach, with a 11:30 pick-up time. This would give us an hour or so to play. The water was COLD! But that didn't stop the kids.

More water taxis dropping people off, and looking at the fish by the rocks. The boats all have glass bottoms in them for this purpose.

DS11 looking at the camera, and DS9 behind him, checking out crabs in the rocks.

After a while, the boat came back and picked us up. Our prerequisite for next time? Pick a boat with a boarding ladder in the front of it. We made it back to the marina, and cleared security to get on a tender back to the Wonder.

Because we didn't want to be one of those standing on the pier at 12:55 trying to get back to the ship, we came back aboard early. We were in Beach Blanket Buffet about 12:15 for lunch, watching the tender boats come back with people. Each boat was stuffed with cruisers coming back.

DS11 took off to The Edge (again) and DS9 hung out with us around the pool, soaking up sunshine. We wanted to see the Ice Carving demonstration and then go to the Towel Animal class in WaveBands...

We rejoin our band of merry travellers, having just splashed themselves in the surf and made it back in time for lunch.

The Ice Carving Demonstration was held on the platform under the Funnel Vision screen, at the Goofy Pool. We had a great spot to watch, under the gazebo.

...and DW bagged another character photo. She said Hook was not very nice. Duh, he's a bad guy! C'mon already!

--

Towel Folding 101, with Kat (annoying pitch to her voice)

This is what it's supposed to look like:

After lessons, and trials and lots of help from Stateroom Hosts stationed throughout the crowd to assist, this is what we managed to come up with:

The Relaxing Dog

The Swan

and DW holding up her turke-er--monkey.

Success!

Quick breather, and then the matinee show of Disney Dreams, an Enchanted Classic! Oh Boy!!!

NOTE: Sit close to the stage for better photos. DW didn't quite grasp this for the whole cruise.

Below is a montage of photos from the show:

After the show, we wandered outside on Deck 4 and I took the last picture of calm conditions we would see for a while.

On our way downstairs to get ready for "Semi-Formal Night" and the Captain's Gala, we ran into an surprise guest.

I was looking forward to Lobster for dinner. Yum!

Our serving team.

--

After a long day, it's bedtime. Goodnight!

Photos from Day 6 - Cabo San Lucas

Thanks for entertaining and informative report! Cant wait for our trip in a a few weeks!!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter