Yet Another Trip - Just Can't Get Enough! Complete: Wolfgang Puck Express!

You cemented it for me...I am totally ordering just the pancakes on our next trip! I did this once before and couldnt finish them either, they are pretty rich, but ordering the Kahuna Plate you do not get the same batter and I miss all of those nuts!

Geez...I better bring a case of Lactaid with me on my next trip...all the good stuff has dairy in it :rotfl2:

Oh my gosh, you take such excellent food photos!! I'm dying at work right now! Yachtsman looks/sounds great and your review of Kona makes me very glad that we have breakfast reservations during our next trip. My sister wants the tonga toast and I want the macadamia pancakes so we can try them both! Your review makes me even more excited for our upcoming trip!:banana:

that was one awesome review !! We've never been to Yachtsman's but we are thinking of trying it on our next trip instead of LeCellier for dinner. Now that LeCellier no longer has the coffee rubbed steak, my DH has the steak blues....:sad1: Yachtsman's might perk that right up!!

Thanks for posting !! the pictures were good enough to eat !! :banana:

Thanks for the great reviews so far. It's been ages since I tried Kona Cafe for breakfast. I should probably put it on my ADRs for my next visit. The last time I was there I got the Kona "slab of " Kona french toast" and I wasn't really that wowed. Next time I will try the pancakes.

Okay, I am caught up now.

DH and I have never done a signature restaurant (unless you count Brown Derby way back in 2003 which we did not like at all). Yachtsman has always been the one that we've been most drawn to but we've not gotten there yet. After seeing your scallops, steak and chicken, I'm going to have to fit it in soon.

And loved the review of Kona. We've never been, and poor DH is now torn as to whether to get the Big Kahuna, the pancakes or the tonga toast. We missed Kona last year because we were tired and I refuse to miss it this year.

Thanks for the Kona review :goodvibes

I still can't decide between the Tonga Toast or the Pancakes

I'm really hoping I can talk DH into ordering the Pancakes so I can try both :thumbsup2
Sharing both would definitely be my recommendation - that way you won't be overwhelmed with too much of one dish!

The yachtsman's steakhouse looks good, honestly you had me at nutella;).
The lobster bisque fiasco goes to somewhat poor management. The staff should be told to explain to guests to put the cream in soup and stir. One of my biggest gripes about restaurant chefs is being too frou frou with food presentation.
I agree that the soup presentation should've been explained. Perhaps it was supposed to be obvious, although my first instinct was to try the soup on its own. It wasn't a big issue though - those first few bites were the low point of a fabulous meal. :goodvibes

You cemented it for me...I am totally ordering just the pancakes on our next trip! I did this once before and couldnt finish them either, they are pretty rich, but ordering the Kahuna Plate you do not get the same batter and I miss all of those nuts!

Geez...I better bring a case of Lactaid with me on my next trip...all the good stuff has dairy in it :rotfl2:
I'm sure you'll love having those pancakes again! Too bad it's such a difficult decision at Kona. Next time I want to try one of their savory dishes, but I'm sure I'll be missing the Tonga Toast! :laughing:

Oh my gosh, you take such excellent food photos!! I'm dying at work right now! Yachtsman looks/sounds great and your review of Kona makes me very glad that we have breakfast reservations during our next trip. My sister wants the tonga toast and I want the macadamia pancakes so we can try them both! Your review makes me even more excited for our upcoming trip!:banana:
Sharing is definitely a great idea - you'll get the best of both worlds!

that was one awesome review !! We've never been to Yachtsman's but we are thinking of trying it on our next trip instead of LeCellier for dinner. Now that LeCellier no longer has the coffee rubbed steak, my DH has the steak blues....:sad1: Yachtsman's might perk that right up!!

Thanks for posting !! the pictures were good enough to eat !! :banana:
Unless there's a specific dish you really want at Le Cellier, I would pick Yachtsman for dinner at this point. It was an impressive meal all around!

Thanks for the great reviews so far. It's been ages since I tried Kona Cafe for breakfast. I should probably put it on my ADRs for my next visit. The last time I was there I got the Kona "slab of " Kona french toast" and I wasn't really that wowed. Next time I will try the pancakes.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the macadamia pancakes! Kona has quickly become one of my must-dos for breakfast.

Okay, I am caught up now.

DH and I have never done a signature restaurant (unless you count Brown Derby way back in 2003 which we did not like at all). Yachtsman has always been the one that we've been most drawn to but we've not gotten there yet. After seeing your scallops, steak and chicken, I'm going to have to fit it in soon.

And loved the review of Kona. We've never been, and poor DH is now torn as to whether to get the Big Kahuna, the pancakes or the tonga toast. We missed Kona last year because we were tired and I refuse to miss it this year.
I think Yachtsman is a great choice for a signature restaurant! Interesting appetizers and desserts, satisfying steaks, and that amazing chicken dish. The food is less "busy" than at places like Flying Fish or Jiko, but I have to say that's probably a good thing! And I hope you can fit in Kona soon. I never thought that a breakfast would become a must-do for me, but IMO Kona is something special! :cloud9:

Enjoyed reading your reviews with pictures.
Thanks for reading! :)

I think Yachtsman is a great choice for a signature restaurant! Interesting appetizers and desserts, satisfying steaks, and that amazing chicken dish. The food is less "busy" than at places like Flying Fish or Jiko, but I have to say that's probably a good thing! And I hope you can fit in Kona soon. I never thought that a breakfast would become a must-do for me, but IMO Kona is something special! :cloud9:

Kona is booked for September 29. :goodvibes

OK - Kona breakfast is now at the top of my must -do list!;)

Those pancakes look delicious! We've only been to Ohana for breakfast - we are due for a change!

Because my mom wasn't feeling well, I ended up doing my Flying Fish dinner solo. I was happy to try Flying Fish again while we were staying in the Epcot area, even though this place has never been one of my favorite signatures.

I was seated towards the back of the restaurant near the ferris wheel - the whimsical decor here is really cool.

I took menu pics, but for some reason my camera flash didn't capture the entire image. That's why the bottom corner of each photo is messed up.

IMG_0955.jpg

The bottom right side dish is roasted mushrooms:

IMG_0956.jpg

The bottom right dessert is golden apple, pecan, and blondie tart with toffee ice cream, apple cider syrup, and apple tuile:

IMG_0963.jpg

Soon, the bread arrived with butter. I didn't take any pics of the butter since it had no sea salt on it - it was just plain butter. In addition, the bread wasn't served warm. That would've been a nice touch.

IMG_0960.jpg

So the meal was off to a lukewarm start (literally), but I was looking forward to my appetizer choice: crispy rice-crusted Maine lobster with fragrantly spiced Florida rock shrimp and Asian vegetables, with a shellfish, coconut, ginger, and lemongrass broth.

IMG_0961.jpg

This was an interesting dish. The breading on the lobster wasn't too heavy, and the flavors of lemongrass and cilantro really stood out. I liked the crunchy snap peas, garlic, mushrooms, and sweet shrimp. Overall, I enjoyed having lobster with Asian flavors. The broth was very pungent so I didn't need to add a lot of it - otherwise, I risked overpowering the lobster.

For my entree, I was torn between the thunder entree and the salmon, but I ended up going with the thunder entree: fragrantly spiced Key West cobia and crispy Virginia soft shell blue crab with wilted greens, roasted artichokes, confit tomatoes, and olive oil-scented Epcot neon purple eggplant with a niçoise olive, citrus and caper meunière. Unfortunately, I didn't love it. In concept, this dish sounded really great - citrus, Mediterranean flavors, crab, fish, etc. But overall, there was a lot going on. The crab tasted like an upscale chicken nugget - it didn't taste bad, but it had less crab flavor than the soft shell crab at Yachtsman. The fish was cooked nicely, and I liked the citrus addition, but everything else together was too salty for me (olive + caper + artichoke + fried food). I finished the cobia and crab, but left a lot of the veggies (I love olives, capers, and artichokes, and I almost never comment on saltiness).

IMG_0962.jpg

Regarding service, I noticed that my server was very attentive to the tables around me, but he didn't stop at my table very much. I went for quite a long period of time without water refills, which was a problem for me because of the salty entree. Perhaps some servers think it's okay to coast once they see a TIW card on the table?

So far, the appetizer was the best part of the meal, even though the broth was a bit strong. The bread, entree, and service were not highlights of this trip. I apologize that I'm not raving about Flying Fish. It's just never blown me away, and I can't explain why. There's always something that isn't right. In the past, I've had amazing meals from start to finish at Artist Point, California Grill, Jiko, Citricos, and most recently Yachtsman. Whenever that happens at Flying Fish, I'll be happy to share my positive experience. And because I'm extremely forgiving :laughing:, I'm definitely giving Flying Fish another chance. Next time, I plan on finally trying the mussels, and also the salmon, tuna, pork or steak for an entree.

And that brings me to dessert. I went with the signature caramelized banana napoleon with crisp phyllo, banana mousse, crème caramel, exotic fruit coulis, and bitter chocolate.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! :goodvibes This was easily the best napoleon I've ever had, and I think it was better than the bananas and caramel dessert that's usually on the California Grill dessert menu. The phyllo was crispy, the banana mousse was creamy and tasted very much like banana, the coulis had a delicious, tangy, tropical passion fruit flavor, and the bitter chocolate went excellently with the banana flavor without being too sweet. This was the highlight of the meal for me, and I could happily get it again next time.

So while my meal at Flying Fish had some flaws, the dessert really was the saving grace. I want to love this place (especially since I see myself as a huge seafood lover), so hopefully one day it'll be towards the top of my signature list.

Just a tip...dont put your TIW card on the table and dont tell them in advance that you have one.

They always ask if we have the dining plan and we say no but I dont tell them about the TIW card...when we first got the card I used to but then the service was spotty so I learned to just put it in the billfold when they bring the check. They have to bring my room card back to me anyways so its no big deal for them to amend the bill.

I have yet to have a CM get an attitude when they open the billfold and see the TIW card.

Just a tip...dont put your TIW card on the table and dont tell them in advance that you have one.

They always ask if we have the dining plan and we say no but I dont tell them about the TIW card...when we first got the card I used to but then the service was spotty so I learned to just put it in the billfold when they bring the check. They have to bring my room card back to me anyways so its no big deal for them to amend the bill.

I have yet to have a CM get an attitude when they open the billfold and see the TIW card.
Thanks so much for the tip! I've tried to follow the 'official' policy where I tell my server about the TIW card while ordering, or at least leave it on the table for them to see. But if it means better service, I'm definitely not doing that anymore.

FF is one of our favorite restaurants. My DS's favorite dish is their signature potato wrapped smapper, while I am more adventurous. But I do love their scallops. The bananna napoleon is my favorite desert in the world. :love: I wish we were there right now. :sad1: :sad2:

Donald, Donald, Donald, you're killin' me with these fabulous pictures, killin' me! :faint:

FF is one of our favorite restaurants. My DS's favorite dish is their signature potato wrapped smapper, while I am more adventurous. But I do love their scallops. The bananna napoleon is my favorite desert in the world. :love: I wish we were there right now. :sad1: :sad2:
Me too! I really can't wait to return to FF and have that dessert again! :lovestruc

Donald, Donald, Donald, you're killin' me with these fabulous pictures, killin' me! :faint:
It's killing me too - I just want to eat most of these dishes again! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter