Yet Another Trip - Just Can't Get Enough! Complete: Wolfgang Puck Express!

After riding Soarin', I was feeling a bit hungry, so I decided to stop at my favorite quick service location in Epcot. Sunshine Seasons has a great variety and many fresh dishes (or at least they seem fresh).

This time, I decided to try the togarashi seared tuna noodle salad. It was a really tasty dish, with the light veggies, sweet noodles, and nicely spiced tuna.

IMG_0905.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get to eat a lot of the tuna. Parts of it were extremely chewy. So chewy, in fact, that my knife (and teeth) couldn't cut through it.

IMG_0906.jpg

So the tuna was a disappointment. It still tasted good, I just wish I could've enjoyed all of it! I still love Sunshine Seasons, and there are plenty of other dishes that I could try next time. :)

Wow, that Yachtsman meal looks amazing. Ever since I knew they served roasted garlic in their bread basket, I've been wanting to go! :rotfl: I hope I will make it there in Oct, but that will depend on how many F & W Festival seminars I book!

I agree with MickeyNicki about the TIW card as well. I never tell the server about it beforehand, just insert it in the billfold with my payment.

That Tonga Toast photo has got me sooooo wanting one right now!

Have you ever been to Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa? That's where I go for the best steak ever.

Wow, that Yachtsman meal looks amazing. Ever since I knew they served roasted garlic in their bread basket, I've been wanting to go! :rotfl: I hope I will make it there in Oct, but that will depend on how many F & W Festival seminars I book!

I agree with MickeyNicki about the TIW card as well. I never tell the server about it beforehand, just insert it in the billfold with my payment.

That Tonga Toast photo has got me sooooo wanting one right now!

Have you ever been to Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa? That's where I go for the best steak ever.
I hope you can make it to Yachtsman! We really were amazed by our most recent meal there, I want that nutella dessert so badly now!

It's good to know that I don't have to show my TIW card in the beginning. It certainly hasn't done me any favors, so I'm definitely stopping.

And I've never been to Tampa (it's been years since I've gone anywhere in Florida besides WDW), but I looked up Bern's and it sounds amazing. :cloud9: I have to try it sometime!

Enjoying your reviews. Kona looks so yummy, I am not thinking about maybe changeing one of our breakfast ressies to Kona.

Enjoying your reviews. Kona looks so yummy, I am not thinking about maybe changeing one of our breakfast ressies to Kona.
I'm sure you'd really enjoy Kona if you could fit it in. After trying both Kona's tonga toast and pancakes, now I think Kona is a must-do for me (and I wasn't even a fan of the Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's)! :goodvibes

I like Jiko because it seems more unusual and adventurous than some of the other signatures. But I also like Jiko for familiar comfort food! My mom is from South Africa, and most of her family still lives in Johannesburg or Cape Town. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time there, and Jiko is a good place for a taste of something authentically South African (Braai in NYC is where we go near home). I know Jiko isn't just South African - it also infuses some Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Indian flavors into the menu. But it still does the job (I love all of those other cuisines anyway!).

Jiko's decor is really beautiful. It's relaxing and quiet, which is nice for adults, but the dining room is also full of beautiful colors (I love the eternal sunset on the background wall).

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Here's the menu - I'm very happy that the two dishes I wanted (the boar and the perch) were on the menu!

IMG_0976.jpg

We really enjoyed Jiko's breads with tandoori butter. It was a nice change from the sourdough/butter/sea salt that most other signatures serve.

IMG_0977.jpg

For the first time, we decided to try the barbecue chicken flatbread with apple-jicama slaw, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses. The crust was crispy, the slaw was crunchy, and the barbecue sauce wasn't overly sweet. Everything worked well together.

IMG_0981.jpg

My mom chose the Jiko salad with Georgia peaches, crispy plantain, hazelnut praline, honeyed chèvre, and blood orange vinaigrette. The peaches were a bit softer than she likes, but everything together tasted great. This was an interesting, fruity, crunchy salad.

IMG_0980.jpg

Finally, here's the starter that I was waiting for: grilled wild boar tenderloin with mealie pap, chakalaka, white truffle oil, and micro cilantro.

IMG_0978.jpg

This was one of the best things I've ever had at Disney. What I loved most about this dish is that I recognized the inspiration: boerewors. Boerewors is a South African sausage (and one of my favorite foods anywhere) often served with pap (very much like polenta) and chakalaka (like a stew of tomato and onion). Here's a pic. One of the most noticeable seasoning in boerewors is coriander, and there was plenty on top of the boar (you can see some coriander seeds between the cilantro). The boar was perfectly tender and was a clever upgrade from the boerewors. It was fabulous with the sweet pap and savory chakalaka. The truffle oil and cilantro elevated the dish even further. I love how Jiko took a fairly common South African dish and brought it up to fine dining standards, and I had a huge grin while devouring this.

For an entree, my mom went with her favorite: the peri peri chicken with herb-crushed potatoes, french beans, mango sambal, and onion jus. The chicken had a really nice peri peri flavor without being too spicy (as we've had it in South Africa). Everything else was a perfect counterbalance, especially the sweet mango.

IMG_0982.jpg

I was excited to try the seared Lake Victoria African perch "kushari" with toasted pearl couscous, lentils, fresh chickpeas, almonds, tomato sauce, sweet corn cream, crispy onions, and harissa vinaigrette. I don't even know how to describe this. There were so many things going on, but everything worked. It was a bit sweet, spicy, salty, creamy - the fish didn't even need anything else to taste great, but I'm not complaining at all! :love:

IMG_0991.jpg

Finally, the dessert round. I didn't know what to expect, and my heart sank a little when I saw that my favorite dessert is now gone: the Cape Malva Pudding with vanilla custard, mango, and apricot sorbet.

I just had to include it in this review! Malva pudding is a South African dessert. It's warm, spongy, almost caramel or butterscotch-like in flavor, and absolutely delicious. The creamy custard with it and the fruity accompaniments made this dessert a standout for me. Apparently it's been gone for a few months - Disney really should update the online menu, because it's still there.

IMG_7963.jpg

We asked our waiter about the changes. He said that there's a new chef came who decided to make some changes - each chef likes to put their own mark on the menu. Here's the dessert selection:

IMG_0992.jpg

Our waiter said that the desserts are all supposed to be African-inspired, with the emphasis on "inspired." We were still intrigued, so we decided to sample three:

First, the coconut bread pudding with caramel-rum sauce, toasted coconut, and caramel ice cream. I think this one was the most delicious, with the warm coconut bread pudding and cold caramel tasting great together. To me, it tasted like they took Ohana's tropical bread and made a bread pudding out of it, and I could happily order this again.

IMG_0999.jpg

Here's the Madagascar Cheesecake with Madagascar vanilla, blueberry and lemon cream, blueberry compote, sour cream, and graham "cookie." I liked the blueberry, but the lemon overpowered the vanilla. I think this dish should be listed on the menu as a lemon-blueberry cheesecake.

IMG_1003.jpg

Finally, "one last cup": Tanzanian chocolate and Kenya coffee mousse with cinnamon mascarpone, nutty chocolates, tuile cookie, and "hot chocolate" (sauce). This was a fun, playful dessert, with lots of amusing little components. The mousse had a warmth from the cinnamon and coffee, and the hot chocolate sauce added a temperature contrast.

IMG_1002.jpg

The meal wasn't over yet. We received some tasty, buttery biscuits before leaving.

IMG_1011.jpg

Overall, our meal at Jiko was fabulous. Even though I miss the malva pudding, I accept the fact that menus change (and of the new desserts we tried, the bread pudding was our favorite anyway). Maybe next time I'll finally try the amarula crème brûlée that people rave about (since the odds are low that I'll be choosing a different appetizer or entree). :thumbsup2

After a dinner at Jiko, it's really nice just sitting and relaxing in the lodge lobby.

IMG_1015.jpg

Jiko looks wonderful! When we were at AKL I would pass Jiko daily on our way to Mara and it always smelled wonderful. I'd definitely like to try it one day.

One of my favorite "at home" recipes from the Disney parks is the Boma bread pudding. And while I've never eaten at Jiko, I imagine that their bread pudding probably tastes even better than Boma's. And it looks amazing.

Also, I want to eat chakalaka...because who wouldn't want to eat something with such a fun name.

When we were in DC for our honeymoon, a dear friend took us to our very first Ethiopian restaurant. OMG. I don't know how similar it is to the food you've described above, or to the restaurants you like in NY, but it was wonderful.

I can't wait to try Jiko!

Jiko looks wonderful! When we were at AKL I would pass Jiko daily on our way to Mara and it always smelled wonderful. I'd definitely like to try it one day.
Jiko's definitely amazing! I would be sure to eat there if I found myself staying at the lodge again.

One of my favorite "at home" recipes from the Disney parks is the Boma bread pudding. And while I've never eaten at Jiko, I imagine that their bread pudding probably tastes even better than Boma's. And it looks amazing.

Also, I want to eat chakalaka...because who wouldn't want to eat something with such a fun name.

When we were in DC for our honeymoon, a dear friend took us to our very first Ethiopian restaurant. OMG. I don't know how similar it is to the food you've described above, or to the restaurants you like in NY, but it was wonderful.

I can't wait to try Jiko!
I haven't had Boma's bread pudding in a few years, but I remember it being amazing with the vanilla sauce. Jiko's is also great (I'm sure it's currently one of their more popular desserts).

I love Ethiopian food too! I've heard that the Ethiopian restaurants in DC are great. I've been to one in Philly, and it was a really fun dining experience. I know Jiko's current vegetarian dish has Ethiopian influences, since the overall the menu is African fusion, with influences from various parts of Africa, the Mediterranean, Middle East, and India.

Sounds like you would definitely enjoy Jiko. :goodvibes

Oh no! The Cape Malva pudding was DELICIOUS on my trip. It was such a unique and inspired dessert. I too will miss it.

And a big WOW at your Jiko entree. That looks absolutely delicious.

Oh no! The Cape Malva pudding was DELICIOUS on my trip. It was such a unique and inspired dessert. I too will miss it.

And a big WOW at your Jiko entree. That looks absolutely delicious.
That's the one thing with the bread pudding - it's really good, but less unique than the malva was. But the entree was amazing. :goodvibes

Was the lemon just in that yellow part of the dessert and the white part just vanilla?
Yep - and it's hard to see, but I'm pretty sure there was also a bluish-purple layer in the cheesecake (that tasted like blueberry).

ITA about the Wild Boar Tenderloin dish. I dream about it!

Jiko looks amazing as always.

I had the same problem with the tuna when I had it at Sunshine Seasons, and could nut cut through it. When I had it the year before, it was great, but last year the tuna was practically inedible. My dad had the same tuna when we went and his was good, so it seems to be extremely hit or miss.

I had the same problem with the tuna when I had it at Sunshine Seasons, and could nut cut through it. When I had it the year before, it was great, but last year the tuna was practically inedible. My dad had the same tuna when we went and his was good, so it seems to be extremely hit or miss.
Haha wow I had hoped it was just an off day. Oh well, I guess I won't be ordering that again. :lmao:

There's just too many things that Sunshine Seasons does well - I love the sustainable fish niçoise style!

Here's a pic of the sustainable fish (mahi mahi). Had it in May, and it was one of my favorite QS meals.

IMG_0416.jpg

I've told Goofyluver to remind me that I want the salad DonaldDoleWhip's mom had when we go to Jiko. :teeth:

Great photos 'n reviews, very descriptive, Donald!! :thumbsup2

I've told Goofyluver to remind me that I want the salad DonaldDoleWhip's mom had when we go to Jiko. :teeth:

Great photos 'n reviews, very descriptive, Donald!! :thumbsup2
That would definitely be a good choice. :thumbsup2 Jiko changes the salad quite often, but it usually includes an interesting combination of fruits, nut, and cheese.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter