Yo Ho Yo Ho, It’s a Cruising Life for Me! Disney Wonder Aug 16th-20th—WITH PICS!!

DisneyWhirled

DIS Veteran
Cast & Crew:
DH-John
Me-Karen
DS-Colby (10)
DD-Kaylee (7)

Being that I learned so much from these boards and everyone’s trip reports, I thought it important that I “pay it forward” and do a trip report as well.

In an effort to make our report interesting, I thought I would start out with a list “Perron’s Top 9 Tips of ’09.” Then, as the report progresses, I will go more into detail. I have included pictures, too, choosing the ones that best fit the story. I had 300 to choose from!! I hope you enjoy!!

1. DON’T OVERPACK!!!! Yes, you’ve read this 100+ times here before and each person posting it was right!!! We did a combination of WDW and the Cruise and wanted to make sure that we had enough clothes to be able to change in the very hot weather. We had time on the day at sea to do laundry as well as at our WDW hotel. We could have brought half our luggage and have had plenty. I told DH that we have to cruise again really soon so that I can “practice” packing the right way!

2. Bring an LED alarm clock and a nightlight. Another great tip from the DIS boards. The only clock in the room did not light up.

3. If you are not bringing water onboard, sign up for the water package. We purchased the small package and this worked great for bringing to CC and our Nassau excursion.

4. If you are putting your tips on your room charge, do it early. I went down to Guest Services on CC day in the late afternoon and settled everything with no lines at all. We then gave the servers/stateroom host their tips on the last night of the trip. They were all very grateful. Additionally, get to know the crew. Peter the CD was awesome and was everywhere!! He was kind enough to pose for a photo with the kids and me. Our servers Plamen and Stevan were gracious and Arturo, our stateroom host was so friendly. Finally, the entertainment staff is so talented and energetic. I don’t know how they stay so happy. We especially loved Chance, Lucy, Steve & Pikey. And we cannot forget Leslie……(heard during bingo….I have an “I”…can you say “I-eee”).

5. Decorate your door and partake in a Fish Extender swap. We got so many compliments on our door and the kids had a blast putting the magnets up. They were also thrilled to find treats in our FE when we returned.

6. See the shows! They were phenomenal. My DD marveled at the Disney Dreams show when it was over. She looked right at me and said, “That was awesome!!”

7. Have your camera and autograph book with you at all times! The character interaction on the ship is great! Goofy gave us pepper at our first lunch at Parrot Cay. There are so many characters around and photo opportunities.

8. Another DIS Board tip, but worth repeating. Buy your photo package early on. We purchased our package on the first night and then spent the rest of the trip browsing the photos to determine what we wanted. The people at Shutters were so friendly and helpful, we were not rushed at all to make a selection.

9. Re-book on the cruise. And, a tip for those of you who are DVC members (I found this out too late). You can re-book on cash during the cruise (pay the deposit) and then anytime before you make your final payment, move it to points through DVC. Your deposit will be credited back to you and any on board credit will be applied as a point credit.

Day 1

We began our vacation with two days at WDW (AKL Kidani) and hired Happy Limo to bring us from WDW to Port Canaveral. They picked us up at 10:00AM to get us to the port for 11:30. I sat up front so I could get a pic of the first sight of the ship. I was so excited to see the beautiful ship as we made our way over the bridge. It is huge and gorgeous!! Thankfully, our driver did not think I was nuts and gave me hints on when to take a picture. We arrived at the Port and walked right up to check-in. How excited I was to get APPT for our rotation!! This meant that we would not miss any of the restaurants when we went to Palo on the third night. From check-in we made it over to get our pictures and check the kids into the clubs. After, we had some time to take a picture with Mickey. Before we knew it, we were being called to board. We didn’t have a low boarding number, but we did not wait very long to get on the ship and didn’t feel rushed.

078.jpg

086.jpg

092.jpg

After having the obligatory photo (which we did buy, of course) we walked on the ship and they announced our name. DH and kids thought that was really neat, as I did try to keep a few things a surprise. The staff was directing passengers to lunch, so I told them that we would like to eat at Parrot Cay. They directed us right to the restaurant.

The buffet was scrumptious and we ate WAAAYYY too much!! I tried to be good as I knew that we had the main dinner seating. Personally, my favorite dishes at this buffet were the coleslaw, potato salad, cold pasta & tomato salad and the peel and eat shrimp. The dessert bar was very well presented, so of course we had to induldge!! Yes, the pic below that is Goofy putting pepper on Colby's food!

099.jpg

101.jpg

103.jpg

We finished lunch around 1:00 or so and then made our way to check out the pools. There were plenty of passengers sunning and swimming because it was VERY hot on deck. As we were walking, I spotted MandyMouse and her hubby and greeted them both. My DH was surprised that I recognized Mandy from her pics on the meet thread. One thing I LOVED about cruising is that you often see the same people several times, even if it is just to say hello or to recognize a face. It kind of made me feel we all lived in the same community. Isn’t that weird?? Even the entertainment staff, we would see them everywhere and a few days into the ship we had our favs. Oh, sorry, I completely just went off topic!!

104.jpg

105.jpg

109.jpg

We opted not to swim but instead to head to deck 7 to see our stateroom. We did not wait long at all and they let down the ropes so we ran to our room. Our stateroom was 7010 and it was just as we pictured. Arturo, our Stateroom Host was in the process of bringing in our luggage (poor guy!) He was very welcoming.

113.jpg

I had noted that we were celebrating our anniversary and purchased the REAS package. Arturo had everything waiting for us. We were all excited for the treats. I quickly snapped photos of everything, before they were tore into.

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

After a little unpacking, including all the FE stuff and door signs, I gave in and let the kiddos decorate the door however they would like. We also hung the FE. Our door looked so festive!!! The kids enjoyed this whole project. They saw me working on them through the winter and wanted to be part of it!

122.jpg

123.jpg

I wanted to check out the Nassau shopping show at 2:30 (I think it was) so the gang followed me to the Buena Vista Theater. We had a 3:00 DIS meet, so DH reminded me that I couldn’t stay for the whole seminar. I wasn’t planning on shopping in Nassau, but, I was interested in what they had to say.

At 3:10 or so, we made our way to the Promenade Lounge to meet with our DIS group. We had a nice visit and before we knew it, it was off to the Mustard Drill. Yes, I typed “Mustard” as that was what my daughter kept referring to it as. We donned our orange vests and quickly snapped a photo in our room, and then made our way to deck 4. Boy was it hot out there!! We were thankful that everyone had on deodorant on, because you have to stand so close that the vertically challenged could easily be fumigated :). Thanks to one of the crew members for taking this photo!

130.jpg

While waiting, we struck up a wonderful conversation with a family also on their first Disney cruise. They were so friendly. I wished that we would have had more time to chat. The mustard drill went well and before we knew it we were off to bring our life jackets back and get ready for the sail away party. In case you are wondering, my family all listened to the crew and DID NOT unbuckle the jackets until we were safely in our room. That wasn’t the case for everyone……..

Right when we got out to the deck, there was a girl selling drinks in the fancy DCL cups. I purchased a non-alcoholic drink for the kids and I to share. I didn’t realize until we got home that I never got another, so I only have one. Guess I have to go cruising again to get a match. Sorry, I digressed again! The sail away party was the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The staff has so much energy and made it very exciting. They did not let the buckets of sweat dripping off of their foreheads stop them and they put on a fantastic show. How cool it was to see ourselves on the jumbotron. I had tears in my eyes as we set out to sea (or was it sweat??). Seriously, all I could think of was how lucky and blessed we are/were to be travelling and enjoying such a wonderful time.

135.jpg

145.jpg

Seems like we are hurrying a lot, but really, we did not feel rushed. After the sail away party, we had our dinner, so we went back to the room to get changed. I thought that this was formal night…oops! Oh well, we dressed up every night anyway. Colby had given me a really hard time about wearing Dockers and a button down shirt (what he calls dressing up) when I packed everything, but tonight he didn’t squawk. And, he looked so handsome! Kaylee had had her hair done at the Bibbety Bobbity Boutique in MK, so all we had to do was put her in a dress. She got SO MANY compliments on her hair from passengers and staff.

148.jpg

150.jpg

Tonight we met Plamen and Stevan. They were very professional and cordial. By the end of the trip, I was ready to take them home!! Plamen liked Kaylee, I think, as he joked with her quite a bit. The kids got a kick out of the ketchup Mickey that Stevan made for them, and I was thrilled that I didn’t have to cut up anyone’s food. Although the food was good throughout the cruise, DH and I did not think that it was “great”. I had chicken the first two nights, as I couldn’t find anything that I liked on the menu. I was hoping for a simple pasta dish (penne, ziti, etc), but there was nothing like it to choose from.

152.jpg

153.jpg

AP was awesome and the kids were awed at the show. After eating, we made our way to Shutters to purchase our photo package and look at the first sets of pics, then we headed over to the Walt Disney Theater. We were a little early arriving, so we shopped a bit and then took our seat. We met a few more very friendly passengers and had nice conversations. Then the show began!

Disney Dreams was stunning. Kaylee looked at me after the show with eyes wide open and declared, “Mom, that was awesome!!”. It was then and there that I realized that I have my new little “Broadway Buddy” to take to shows back home.

We then went back to our room to change and decided that we would go to Mickey Mania. While there, we saw one of our DIS meet friends (Keever), when she and her son got chosen to go on stage. It was a fun game great for the whole family.

161.jpg

We then decided that it was time for b-i-beddy by, so we returned to our stateroom for the night. The kids were so suprised that they got to sleep in bunk beds, that there was a little tiff on who would get the top. We agreed that since it was a 4-night cruise, they could each have the top bunk for two nights. Thank goodness that was solved! We also had this little fella when we came back to the room.

160.jpg

I was so grateful that no one in the family was ill on our cruise, but the ship was rocking a bit that night and I had a hard time going to sleep. The motion of the ocean rocked everyone else to sleep, though.

Next up: Day 2 (Nassau) and Blue Lagood Dolphin Encounter!

What an amazing start. Tips, a detailed report, and awesome photos! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

I wonder, if you didn't care for the menus from the first two rotations, if you could have ordered from the third menu?

:)

Great start to your TR. I love that you put pics...makes is more real to me, as I haven't been on a cruise yet and we don't go until 12/10. I am also glad you put up pics of your door. That is the first pic of an FE I have seen. I want to do that..yours looks awesome!!!

Great start to your TR. I love that you put pics...makes is more real to me, as I haven't been on a cruise yet and we don't go until 12/10. I am also glad you put up pics of your door. That is the first pic of an FE I have seen. I want to do that..yours looks awesome!!!

Thanks!! You are in for a treat!!! I LOVE WDW, but the cruise was the absolute best. I am so anxious to book for 2011. We have AP's at WDW this year so we HAVE to use them, but honestly, cruising is where I want to be!!

I wish I could take credit for the FE, but I must confess that I bought it from a DISer on E-bay. If you would like her name, feel free to PM me!

GREAT Report....I thank you for the little tips you are giving along the way....they will come in handy!! Please keep them coming.
I can't wait to read about day 2!!! :)

Absolutely awesome start to your report! :yay: I am so glad you had a great time Karen! You are making me so excited for our trip in 66 more days:woohoo: Love all of the pictures! Your decorations for your door look great-your prep work really paid off!Love the matching T shirts! Can't wait to hear more!
Annette

This was our Nassau day! We were so excited to do the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter, that it was not hard to wake everyone up for the day. At 6:30AM, our brightly lit LED Alarm clock beckoned to us to wake up for the beautiful day ahead. We dressed in our bathing suits with cover-ups for the girls and shirts for the guys. The kids were excited to pass out our FE goodies, so, armed with goodie bags and map in hand(s), we started our venture to locate our DIS friend’s rooms. Everything went smooth, except that when we got to SSRLovers room, there was no Fish Extender. In fact, it looked like there was no one in the room. We were in a quandary as what to do, so, we decided to leave the bag in hopes that maybe they didn’t have enough time to hang their FE. We then made our way to Topsiders for breakfast. I was worried that we were not allowed to go to the dining room in our bathing suits, but there was no point (or time) in getting dressed and then undressed again.

188.jpg

Beach Blanket Buffet (BBB) was not open when we arrived, so we waited for a few minutes. We were the first in the buffet line. It didn’t last long though, because shortly thereafter, a LONG line formed. We had no problem getting a seat and enjoying our breakfast while sailing into port.

230.jpg

I am going to pause for a quick minute to give you a tip, as we kept ending up with our family in the Adult area (no kids allowed): To reach BBB, and AVOID getting caught in the Adult only area (Cove), you should not take the mid ship lifts to deck 9. Instead, take the AFT lifts OR if you take the mid ship lifts, get off at deck 8 and walk to AFT to take the lifts to deck 9. OH, and we were not the only ones in swimsuits and cover-ups!

After eating, we made our way back to the stateroom to get our cooler filled with ice and a few waters. When we arrived at our door, we had some FE treats. Quickly, we recognized that they were from SSRLover and that their room number had changed. While I waited for ice, DH hoofed it down to deck 2 to “steal” the FE gift from the wrong room and deliver it safely to it’s proper home. Thankfully, the goodie bag was still there, so DH stealithly grabbed it and headed off! My hero!!

Our excursion was at 9:30, so we went up to take some pics of Nassau’s waterfront and headed to Studio Sea. We also managed to get some character photos before the excursion.

There were quite a few people heading out on the excursion, so there was a lot going on, but it was pretty organized. It wasn’t long we were walking down to deck 1 to exit the ship.

181.jpg

It took about ½ to ¾ of an hour to get to the Blue Lagoon. As the ferry left Nassau, there were some great photo opportunities, especially of the beautiful ship and the multi-million dollar homes on the coast. We were travelling at a decent clip and my sun visor flipped off my head twice. Thankfully, the nice lady behind me caught it both times!

Blue Lagoon is beautiful! Immediately after getting off the ferry, the kids saw the dolphins and were so excited. We made our way to the brief orientation before our excursion and settled in. Before we knew it, we were off to meet the dolphins!

This was an experience I will never forget. The mammals were so close and gorgeous. We were one of the last groups to go, so we waited our turn while several families had their interaction. I must say that the trainers were very friendly and funny. I was awed when one family got in the water and the matriarch of the family participating was 80 years old! I would definitely do this again!!

242.jpg

202-1.jpg
Sorry this pic is granular, it was taken with a disposable underwater camera. Next year we are getting a "real" underwater camera.

TIP: Don’t plan on bringing your camera down to the platform where you meet the dolphins, UNLESS it is waterproof, as you WILL get wet! Also, the video of your dolphin meet was quite pricey at approx $150. Also, IF you can, try to be one of the first groups to go because we were RUSHING to try to get our pictures before the ferry left (we didn’t want to wait for the later ferry). Finally, Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter pictures CAN be ordered online………….they DO NOT tell you this when you are there.

After getting off the ferry, we made our way to the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory for a yummy purchase. We got a six pack of assorted cakes to share with our family. The Wonder was the only ship in port, so the place was a ghost town. We then made our way back to the ship to grab some lunch on deck 9 and let the kids use the pool for a little bit, but not before getting some pics of the ship (again)! I love that beautiful thing!!!

199.jpg

We got in line for lunch and let the kids swim for a bit. They didn’t swim too long because the pools were SOOO full! So, it was off to the shower for all of us and a little relaxing. Before we knew it, it was time for dress up pics with the characters, as tonight was “Dress Up Night”. We got some great photos, including a photo with the children and our CD, Peter. We also took advantage of the white background photo shoot.

217.jpg

Tonight was dinner at Parrot Cay to be followed by Toy Story. Dinner was good. John had the steak dish and I had the chicken. They brought us a nice anniversary cake for dessert, plus desserts off the menu. Boy, were we full!

207.jpg

The show was amazing!! All the props!!! Where do they keep everything? The acting and singing was wonderful, we especially loved the performer who played Sid.

221.jpg

We were exhausted by the end of the show and despite my husband and my wanting to go to a club, the kids really needed a good night sleep, so we headed back to the room for the night. When we got to the room, we were greeted with a beautiful romantic turndown, done by Arturo.

212.jpg

It was a great day and we couldn’t wait for Castaway Cay the next day!!!!

I love reading your report! Cute family and that hair style is AWESOME!!

xoxo,.. can't wait to read more!!

Thanks for the awesome trip report!:thumbsup2 We are leaning toward doing the 4 day next year since we recently had to cancel the 7 day we had planned.:sad2:

9. Re-book on the cruise. And, a tip for those of you who are DVC members (I found this out too late). You can re-book on cash during the cruise (pay the deposit) and then anytime before you make your final payment, move it to points through DVC. Your deposit will be credited back to you and any on board credit will be applied as a point credit.

Can someone explain the second piece of this. How is the on board credit applied as a point credit?

Can someone explain the second piece of this. How is the on board credit applied as a point credit?

Here is how the MS rep explained it:

DVC members can book their next cruise with Member Services within 72 hours of getting off the ship. The point savings for re-booking within 72 hours is between 7 and 22 points pp for the first two passengers in the room. (Point savings depends entirely on what cruise you are booking).

In the scenario above (tip 9) you can book onboard using cash, get the discount, pay the deposit and then move to DVC points before final payment.

So, when you move the cash booking to DVC points, they recognize that you booked on board and give you the point discount that applies for your particular cruise.

In our case, I didn't have any time to call MS within 72 hours, so I didn't get any point discount for our next cruise :(

Had I booked on cash on board as stated above, and then moved to DVC points later, I would have saved 14 points. No one told us this until we were home.

Also, if you use DVC points for two in the room, but are paying cash for someone else in the room, DVC requires FULL payment at the time of booking for the cash passengers.

In the same scenario above, I would have only had to pay the deposit upon re-booking for cash and then when I moved to DVC points (before final payment) then pay the balance for the non-points cruisers. (If you are booking a year out, it gives you time to save).

I know this sounds really involved, I hope my explanation helped.

Thanks for the details. I knew you had to pay in full when transfering to points. We are cruising for the first time next fall, and will use points for two adults and pay for the kids. I didn't know you could get a points discount if you rebooked on board. I'm hoping to rebook on our cruise next fall for one of the new boats.

great review, I love all the pictures! just one question what is a photo package? :confused3

"8. Another DIS Board tip, but worth repeating. Buy your photo package early on. We purchased our package on the first night and then spent the rest of the trip browsing the photos to determine what we wanted. The people at Shutters were so friendly and helpful, we were not rushed at all to make a selection."

great review, I love all the pictures! just one question what is a photo package? :confused3

"8. Another DIS Board tip, but worth repeating. Buy your photo package early on. We purchased our package on the first night and then spent the rest of the trip browsing the photos to determine what we wanted. The people at Shutters were so friendly and helpful, we were not rushed at all to make a selection."

Shutters takes pics throughout the cruise. You can purchase individual pictures, or a package which has so many 6x8 or 8x10. I believe there is savings in purchasing a package.

They took so many great pics that I wanted them all, but alas we settled on the $169 package and came home with some great souveniers. I can't recall, but I think that was either the cheaper or middle package.

The people in Shutters are very friendly and helpful, they will work with you to be able to choose what works best for you.

Loved that beautiful swan and rose petal turn down!:love: That was awesome!Can't wait to hear more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter