You must be swift as the coursing river (as long as it's the Lazy River) - comments welcome

November 27 - December 17, 2023
In which I suck at exercise

First, a quick overview of the two weeks I took off from running after the marathon:
  • M-F: nothing
  • S: yoga
  • S: aqua jogging
Total: 54m
  • M: lower body strength/Pilates
  • T: yoga
  • W: off
  • T: indoor bike
  • F: upper body strength
  • S: aqua jogging (It turns out that aqua jogging in cold water is not necessarily a great idea, even if the air temperature is fairly warm; I was in the water for about 25 minutes and shivering on and off for about an hour 🥶)
  • S: yoga/core (It was day 6 of one of Adriene's 30 days of yoga series - IYKYK)
Total: 2h 42m

This week I finally got back to running, if way less than normal. And worse than normal. Why is it that when you run a marathon, running afterwards makes you feel like you're terrible at it? And who are these people who can run multiple marathons in a short time frame??
  • M: 3.1 miles easy (11:11, 142 bpm)
  • T: total body strength
  • W: 3.1 miles easy (11:28, 147 bpm)
  • T: off
  • F: 3.5 miles easy (11:04, 148 bpm)
  • S: total body strength
  • S: yoga (WU) + 4 miles easy (10:14, 154 bpm. This is where I just said, "screw it" and ran what felt comfortable even though the effort was a bit high.)
Running: 13.83 miles, 2h 31m
Strength/mobility: 1h 23m
Total: 3h 54m

We're getting there, I guess. Based on last time, I have another week or so of feeling like I suck at running, and then a couple of weeks after that before I actually feel normal again (but still kind of suck at running). Blah.

In other news, we did the Candlelight Processional on Wednesday evening. I did not expect Brendan Fraser to be so popular 😆 Unfortunately they did the Hallelujah Chorus/Joy to the World medley again (instead of singing them separately, as is correct 😉), but other than that, it was good. The conductor was particularly fun to watch - he did a lot of jumping. I'd kind of like to see his fitness data for the show 🤣

Candlelight.jpg
Candlelight Processional stage including choir, orchestra, conductor, Voices of Liberty tree, and Brendan Fraser in a white suit

And who are these people who can run multiple marathons in a short time frame??
There's running a marathon distance, and then there's racing a marathon. They can be distinctly different. You put out a heck of an effort, so no wonder you are taking awhile to get back to normal. But at least you seem to be familiar with the process so you know you'll get back to normal running before too long.

There's running a marathon distance, and then there's racing a marathon. They can be distinctly different. You put out a heck of an effort, so no wonder you are taking awhile to get back to normal. But at least you seem to be familiar with the process so you know you'll get back to normal running before too long.

Oh for sure. But even at Disney when I was mostly taking it easy, I couldn't imagine running another marathon before at least a few months later. Some people must just be really good at recovering from marathons!

December 18 - 24, 2023
In which I eat a lot of cookies

Merry Christmas to those celebrating! I got a HR chest strap (yay no more cadence lock!) and an Apple Watch Ultra (better battery and GPS!). Anybody else get some good running stuff??

I've got a little break in the festivities while we watch the classic Christmas movie Die Hard, so time for a quick training journal update. Still recovering from the marathon 😑
  • M: 3.5 miles easy (10:10, 152 bpm). I've got this whole cardiac drift thing going on now where the first mile or so is fairly normal before my HR jumps way up.
  • T: lower body strength/PIlates + eccentric calf raises
  • W: core + 3.5 miles easy (10:23, 153 bpm). WOW that core workout was hard. Probably should have guessed based on the whole "adapted from Kenyan elites' core workout" thing 😅
  • T: 5 miles easy-ish (9:58, 159 bpm)
  • F: rest
  • S: 7.5 miles easy-ish (10:23, 160 bpm). Oof. HR should have been 10-15 bpm lower.
  • S: 4 miles easy (10:59, 146 bpm) + upper body strength (and eccentric calf raises). Focused on slowing down and keeping it easy, and managed to stay in zone 2 for once.
Running: 23.6 miles, 4h 5m
Strength/mobility: 1h 16m
Total: 5h 21m

It has also been a week of treats and sweets 🤤 My mom and I went to the Festival of the Holidays one of the afternoons this week - I forget which day - and tried a few foods and drinks.

Nochebuena.jpg
Nochebuena Cocina: tamal with chorizo, plant-based cotija cheese and spicy red chile sauce (really good, would recommend whether you're vegan or not, 4/5), pernil (also yummy, 4/5), spiced chocolate cookie (best of the cookie stroll so far, 3.5/5), and 81Bay Brewing Co. Horchata Beer (a little weird but okay, 3/5)

Yukon.jpg
Yukon: snickerdoodle (dry and not really a snickerdoodle (it's made with Snickers), 2/5) and beer flight with 81Bay Brewing Co. Peanut Butter Banana Porter (kind of weird, 2/5), Playalinda Brewing Co. Maple Cookie Blonde Ale (actually decent, surprisingly, 3/5), and Collective Arts Coffee Maple Porter (also weird, 2/5). In fairness I got the beer flight specifically because they sounded so weird 😝

America.jpg
American Holiday Table: Blackened Catfish with Hoppin’ John and comeback sauce (well-seasoned and flavorful, 4/5), gingerbread cookie (kind of bland and neither soft nor snappy, 2/5), and Crooked Can Brewing Company Bah HOPbug IPA (interesting, had a little bit of Christmas-y spice to it, 3/5)

We also spotted the Schinkennudel thief! Or another bird of the same species which has definitely stolen someone's food, if not ours specifically.

thief.jpg
A white bird with a long orange beak

And we had Glühwein from Bavaria (1,000,000/5, best thing ever, buy every time) and a coquito shake (I remembered this being really good but this time it seemed too sweet without much depth to the flavor, 3/5), but I did not take pictures.

Then yesterday I finally baked the cookies I've been mixing up. Behold, the 12 cookies (and 2 bars) of Christmas!

12 cookies of Christmas.jpg
Many cookies on cooling racks: brown sugar, cream cheese, brownie, peanut butter blossom, oatmeal raisin, s'mores, chocolate chip, iced oatmeal, Mexican hot chocolate, snickerdoodle, butter pecan, and ginger molasses, plus gingerbread and peanut butter chocolate chip blondies

Last edited:
I've got a little break in the festivities while we watch the classic Christmas movie Die Hard, so time for a quick training journal update.
My husband watched the "Christmas" Die Hard movies the week before Christmas. :) They used to run on some TV station on Christmas day...we're not sure if they still do that, but now that his brothers have young children, they don't seem appropriate to run in the background!

December 25 - 31, 2023
In which new gear somehow does not solve all of my problems

Ah, the week that doesn't count. I have a theory that there are actually 51 weeks in the year, and the last week is this weird liminal period that we all just kind of agree exists somewhere outside of real life.

I did still work out though.
  • M: off
  • T: 5.3 miles easy (10:31, ? bpm) + lower body strength. My first run with the new watch/chest strap was not a resounding success. Wherever my HR was coming from was 100% cadence-locked for the first mile-plus before it finally started giving me something more reasonable. Maybe there wasn't enough moisture on the sensor until I started sweating? Anyway, actually felt fairly normal otherwise despite the somewhat gross weather (T+D = 71+68).
  • W: core + 5 miles easy (10:28, 148 bpm). Seems more normal. Drift was less pronounced and HR in a normal-ish range, though a little hard to tell if it's improvement/recovery or measurement differences from a new device. Also this time I ran the strap under the faucet before I put it on and it worked better.
  • T: 4 miles easy (10:35, ? bpm) + total body strength. Never mind, I found some whole new issues.
  • IMG_4719.jpg
  • So apparently my HR dropped to 85 and then jumped way up to 178. During an easy run 🤨
  • F: off. Went to Epcot and ate/drank some more festival goodies 😋
  • S: 4 miles easy (10:32, ? bpm). Why do I even have a chest strap?
  • IMG_4723.jpg
  • S: 9 miles easy (9:56, 156 bpm). HR monitor actually gave me a normal run, and I mostly felt pretty good. I did have a couple of minutes around mile 8 where my right hip and knee were uncomfortable and my left Achilles (where I had the strain) felt kind of weird, but then it was okay so maybe it's fine? 🤷‍♀️ Debated having a UCAN gel when I turned around but decided not to.
Running: 4h 42m, 27.46 miles
Strength/mobility: 1h 13m
Total: 5h 56m

I meant to do some upper body strength this weekend, but...I didn't. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

We did our NYE "extravaganza" (watching the MK fireworks from basically the Contemporary parking lot) last night, so tonight my exciting plan is to go to bed early to make up for the 6 hours of sleep I got after that 😅 Happy new year everybody!

I have a theory that there are actually 51 weeks in the year, and the last week is this weird liminal period that we all just kind of agree exists somewhere outside of real life.
I fully support this theory. What day is it? When did I last shower? When did I last eat a vegetable?

JK about the veggie, I had broccoli with my dinner 😊
I support this theory as well.

As for dinner, there is some balance still even in this out of real life week…
1704072745794.jpeg
Cheese and grapes, palm heart and eggs, marshmallow and chocolate, nougat and candies (commonly called fuel by runners 😋).

2023 in review
In which I am a little late

Oh hey look, it's time for the unofficial start of the running year, i.e. Marathon Weekend. (If I were actually training for it I would feel like it was the end of last year, but I am only doing the half, not racing, and have spent zero time training for this specific event, so...start of the year.) Anyway, probably I should get around to wrapping up last year then? I did put my mileage for the year in the running thread, but as I'm sure you all will be shocked to hear...I have more to talk about 🤣

First thing's first: goals. How did I do?

1. Run a marathon. Hey, look, I'm already done. Okay, we can go home now 🙃
I ran TWO marathons. #overachieving

2. Run at least 100 miles per month. Running regularly has been great, and I'd like to keep it up all year in 2023. This month might actually be the hardest since I'm taking at least a week off after the marathon and then getting back into it slowly. But I've already run 55 miles in January, so it still seems doable.
Did not do this. January to November were all well over 100, but December was quite a bit short due to marathon recovery time. Possibly I could have forced it, but it really didn't seem worth it. Still very happy with my 1,800+ miles for the year.

3. Many PRs. Now that I'm actually running consistently, I figure I should be able to get PRs in all of my current race distances (5K, 10K, 10M, HM) as long as I can find races to do and don't have terrible weather or surprise injuries.
Heh heh. Okay, let us review:
  • Cherry Blossom 5K: 5K PR
  • Cherry Blossom 10-Miler: 10M PR, 10K PR (unofficial)
  • Capitol Hill Classic: 10K PR
  • Summer time trials: 1M PR x2 (the 2nd one by 1 second, but it still counts! 😂)
  • DC Half: HM PR, 10M PR (official split), 2nd 10M PR (unofficial)
  • Space Coast Marathon: M PR (even WITH the surprise injury, so there)
Yup! I PRed every event I actually raced and got some bonus unofficial/quasi-official PRs within those too. Success! ✅🏆

I am such a good boy.jpg
In lieu of an actual transition, here is a picture of my dog in his best "Look at me, I am such a good boy" pose: lying down with his head resting across one leg, but with ears perked up because he's only pretending to relax. The "good boy" pose is because he wants some broccoli (yes, he's kind of weird).

2023 was the first year when I trained consistently the whole time, so kind of a new baseline. Here's my mileage comparison chart again:

1704376488842.png

For a little more context, I started running consistently around April 2022, which by a strange coincidence is also when I signed up for a marathon 😉 I ran about 3-4 days a week from April to September and then generally 6 days a week after that. In 2023 I pretty much ran 6 days a week throughout, except for a few weeks for recovery/between training cycles. And that's how I got to 800 more miles than the previous year!

At almost 240 total miles, October is MUCH higher than any previous month, but it's not as much of an outlier as it looks like - that was the peak of training for Space Coast and happened to fall in such a way that it included an extra long run.

adorable snoozle.jpg
Another dog photo transition. This time he is doing an absolutely adorable snoozle next to/on top of me on the couch with his nose hidden behind his leg.

And finally, the rundown. In 2023, I...

💨 raced a 5K, a 10K, a 10-miler, a HM, and a marathon and PRed in all of them!

📈 ran my highest weekly (57), monthly (240), and yearly (1,817) mileage

🤓 wrote my first training plans (with help from the crowd)

::MickeyMo ran my first runDisney race/first marathon

🤕 had my first (fortunately minor) running injury

🏃‍♀️ participated in 8 races (5 all-out, 2 as catered training runs, and 1 "I hope I can run this far" marathon)

🗺️ ran in 4 states plus DC

🏋️‍♀️ did...well, I was going to put a total number of hours here, but apparently Strava doesn't do that for strength workouts, so let's just say a lot of strength training

🎧 listened to a whole bunch of running podcasts (my favorites are Running Rogue, Nobody Asked Us with Des and Kara, Tread Lightly, Marathon Training Academy, The Running Channel, and Rise & Run)

📺 watched some pretty great events in the World Athletics Championships, Diamond League, and various World Marathon Majors (yes I watch marathons on TV now)

That's it; happy Marathon Weekend everybody!

1704380355323.png

Last edited:
Great job on your 2023! I’m excited to see what big plans you have for 2024.

Did not do this. January to November were all well over 100, but December was quite a bit short due to marathon recovery time. Possibly I could have forced it, but it really didn't seem worth it. Still very happy with my 1,800+ miles for the year.
I know you know but I just want to reinforce that you made a smart decision here. Mileage goals can be fun and a good motivator, but they aren’t the end all be all.

In lieu of an actual transition, here is a picture of my dog in his best "Look at me, I am such a good boy" pose: lying down with his head resting across one leg, but with ears perked up because he's only pretending to relax. The "good boy" pose is because he wants some broccoli (yes, he's kind of weird).
The dog transitions are so great :dog2:

Great job on 2023! I'll reiterate what @GollyGadget said. In my office we always talk about focusing on the result and not the process. We can learn from the process to make sure the result gets better, but at the end of the day, the process and the result are not the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter