Your Latest Shark Attack?

Humpbacks1962

Humpbacks1962 on Pinpics
Here's one I JUST have to share.

Gee, sometimes I wonder if I have an expletive written on my forehead! Can anyone confirm?
He He He

:earseek: :crazy: :earseek:

OK, I logged on to Pinpics to play... I wanted to get rid of some racks and German pins I acquired several months ago. I saw some Lion King German pins I thought I could rig up a fair trade for a few of my "pettier" racks. You know, the ones you could get at the cheappins.com place for $2.00 or $4.00, max...

Well... I do my clicks and send in the request. Wouldn't you know what the person asked for in return (obviously getting into my keepers list instead of matching tradables): AK OCT POM, Disneyana Pest Management, Maleficent, Disneyland Lion King Parade, and others I did not even bother looking the pics up because I was ready to pass out or just plain pee laughing! :eek: Oh, and hear this deal: He'd even give me 11 of his German pins for 10 of mine, mostly LEs! :rolleyes:

I mean, before many of us get familiar with Pinpics we sort of fool around with requests, but this was no layman! :o

OK, I want to hear it... Don't let me laugh alone, I want to hear about your shark attack attempts...

Wanda :wave:

I just read the thread about the Ebay card (n/pin) and now I read your thread.
I am speechless. :eek: What else will this day hold!?

My experiences with Pinpics were not really shark attacks -- just the way that trade assistance works. In June I had DL#1 mystery pin listed as trade. I was getting a lot of trade offers through trade assistant, but...
Guess they figured the most I could do is say No.
And I have to admit I have sent some offers out w/o looking up what the trade request was going for. So maybe some of mine were not so good too.
But Humpbacks1962, I would say your request knew what he/she was doing.
Curious -- what was your reply, if anything?

I did reply, actually.

I discouraged the person from looking at my keepers list. For some reason, that's the first place he landed in, and requested pins from!

I have about 5 German pins in my collection that I really don't care much for. I figured they'll never trade for anything nice up here, so I wanted to swap them for German Lion King pins. Believing they were fair trades for like pins, I offered those instead.

I thought about offering some American racks, but one for one seems to be such an uneven trade in this case, especially when I paid almost $7.00 for each! So I offered two retired American racks for five German (each about $2.00 in cheappins.com). Then he went back to my keepers and requested another one.

Eh... I just figured it was too much of a hassle. I might as well wait until cheappins stocks up again. I could get them all on a boring day for under $11.00 anyway.

Wanda

Wanda,
I just sent you some mail. I have the website of someone who deals in German pins. Hope you find something there that you like. I know the price is much cheaper. Peggie

I understand! I had someone recently suggest a trade - my two Star Wars weekend pins (each LE 2001) for their one pin (LE 10,000). I kindly refused their offer. Another person emailed me looking for some LE & CM pins & offered rack pins. Hello? I may not pin trade every day, but I wasn't born yesterday!

while we're talking trades - I want to thank the folks on this board who have graciously traded with me recently to help me try to complete sets! There are some very kind & fair traders out there!

Hi Wanda..

i think i know the person you are talking about...
1. He is new in pinpics and dizpins and made the mistake to look at aour collection instead of your traders. Maybe you can explain how pinpics works, like i did numerous times before..

2. He suggested to make him an offer to trade one or two of your pins for all his cheap pins... maybe you can contact him to discuss this again..

3. please be careful to call someone a shark.. there might be some young / unexperienced/ not native speakers on the boards here too... ( like me ) you might hurt someones feelings ( like you did this time)

please talk to each other again..

Stephan

I never visit PinPics or Dizpins as I'm not an active trader.

I had hoped that this thread was worded in such a way that it would be impossible to figure out who this trader is.

Unfortunately, it looks as if someone's feelings have been hurt, and that's wrong.

While I do understand that you wanted to warn others, it may be best to give the other party the benefit of the doubt.

Please be very careful when posting about this sort of thing. It's a delicate subject, and it must be kept respectful.

Thank you.:)

Well, it really did not sound to me as a misundertanding, I am glad that I do not recognize any names in this thread as the e-mail signature. So it could very well be someone's misinterpretation of my post. Sorry if it conveyed a different message than the one I intended it to, but I did my best to keep it as generic as possible. Meaning, unless the person involved identifies him/herself, nobody knows who I was talking about. I was not interested in putting anyone on the spot, merely share a pretty weird trade request.

Before I learned to trade, I clicked here and there hoping to get lucky too. The difference was that if someone invited me to look at his/her tradables, that is where I picked pins from.
A novice will perhaps make choices out of the clicking options, and leave it at that. Often it is not easy to figure out the Pinpics name just from the response. If the e-mail reply expresses a message of rejection to the trade offer, it normally ends there.

The person offered more German pins, that was when I shared my Pinpics name, and invited him to look at my tradables. I had to tell the person, twice, not to select from my keepers. He acknowledged that the pins he offered were much more economical than those he was asking for. Someone who deliberately selects better pins out of a keeper's list does not sound too inexperienced to me.

Bottomline is, it felt like an attempt to have lunch by that feared, ichthyological species, and that was the whole point I wanted to express...

I n p r i v a c y

Wanda :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter