your next door neighbors home burns down , they ask to stay with you for a month , would you say yes?

No, that's what insurance is for

That would be my initial response.

hopefully they are adequately covered b/c MANY homeowners these days are GROSSLY under-insured. between the cost of reconstruction materials and the horrendous shortages of tradespeople a homeowner can find themselves learning that despite believing they had extensive coverage on reconstruction their policy limits have them maxed out with additional out of pocket rebuild expenses in the high 5 to low 6 figures. add on to that a policy that provides temporary housing that sounds great until you realize that the per diem is less than half the going rate even IF you can find a rental-and then instead of only being in that rental for 6 months you are in it going on 2 years due to labor shortages, supply chain interruptions....

it's a terrifying situation to be in.

No way. We are private people. I don’t even like staying with relatives - that’s what hotels are for.

hopefully they are adequately covered b/c MANY homeowners these days are GROSSLY under-insured. between the cost of reconstruction materials and the horrendous shortages of tradespeople a homeowner can find themselves learning that despite believing they had extensive coverage on reconstruction their policy limits have them maxed out with additional out of pocket rebuild expenses in the high 5 to low 6 figures. add on to that a policy that provides temporary housing that sounds great until you realize that the per diem is less than half the going rate even IF you can find a rental-and then instead of only being in that rental for 6 months you are in it going on 2 years due to labor shortages, supply chain interruptions....

Plus one point for being a renter.

After the wildfires over the last couple years, and having to literally evacuate, this is honestly something I've thought about. I mean, if our rental house burned down, we'd be sad about the loss of our belongings, but we'd just find a new house to rent and start over with the renters insurance payout for our stuff.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have an insurance policy that didn't cover actual replacement cost and the cost of modifications necessary due to changes in the building code.
My niece had the misfortune of having a fire in her house. It was a slow process, three years. But they live on 20 acres. Their insurance company brought in a double wide mobile home for them to live in. And her husband is a carpenter, so the insurance company ended up hiring him to do most of the work.

No way.

Not sure I'd want my parents or other family staying with me for a whole month...

Well, I certainly wouldn't have an insurance policy that didn't cover actual replacement cost and the cost of modifications necessary due to changes in the building code.
My niece had the misfortune of having a fire in her house. It was a slow process, three years. But they live on 20 acres. Their insurance company brought in a double wide mobile home for them to live in. And her husband is a carpenter, so the insurance company ended up hiring him to do most of the work.

your niece was fortunate. i live on acreage but i wouldn't be permitted due to zoning and septic to put a double wide on my property-if i wanted to live on site it would be a travel trailer type situation which would get real old real quick.

even with 'actual replacement cost' coverage that includes modifications homeowner's policies still have a dollar cap. recent data from the u.s. census bureau shows construction prices increased by 17.5% year-over-year from 2020 to 2021, the largest spike from year to year since 1970. 2021’s costs were also more than 23% higher than pre-pandemic 2019. the price of softwood lumber alone has jumped about 85% in just the past three months after the u.s. doubled tariffs on canadian lumber and wildfires disrupted lumber production.

the average under-insurance amount is about 22%, though some homes are under insured by 60% or more. data also shows only 30% of insured homeowners have purchased more insurance or increased coverage limits to compensate for rising building costs and among insured homeowners who completed renovations or remodels during the pandemic, less than half (40%) updated their home insurance to account for those changes.

ONLY reason i know this is b/c i know people who have been personally impacted by it. thought they had great coverage (and they did-for prepandemic prices) but between paying the difference between temp housing per diem and actual rents (after struggling to find) and then finding out they were going to have to finagle financing to cover the difference between their existing mortgage and the high 5 figures their insurance was short....it has not played well with their mental health or long term financial planning.

If you had asked me a couple of years ago, I might have said yes, as I knew all my neighbors very well, and we had all lived on the street for a long time. But when house values went out of control during the pandemic, pretty much everyone close by sold out and left. I have all new neighbors who I don’t know yet, so as bad as I would feel for them, the answer would be no. Ask me again in a decade and the answer might change again.

Not a chance and depending on the neighbor....well, he wouldn't be able to prove it was me anyway. (This is a joke btw, I hate him but his house is physically too close to mine with the shared fence line to do it.)

your niece was fortunate. i live on acreage but i wouldn't be permitted due to zoning and septic to put a double wide on my property-if i wanted to live on site it would be a travel trailer type situation which would get real old real quick.

even with 'actual replacement cost' coverage that includes modifications homeowner's policies still have a dollar cap. recent data from the u.s. census bureau shows construction prices increased by 17.5% year-over-year from 2020 to 2021, the largest spike from year to year since 1970. 2021’s costs were also more than 23% higher than pre-pandemic 2019. the price of softwood lumber alone has jumped about 85% in just the past three months after the u.s. doubled tariffs on canadian lumber and wildfires disrupted lumber production.

the average under-insurance amount is about 22%, though some homes are under insured by 60% or more. data also shows only 30% of insured homeowners have purchased more insurance or increased coverage limits to compensate for rising building costs and among insured homeowners who completed renovations or remodels during the pandemic, less than half (40%) updated their home insurance to account for those changes.

ONLY reason i know this is b/c i know people who have been personally impacted by it. thought they had great coverage (and they did-for prepandemic prices) but between paying the difference between temp housing per diem and actual rents (after struggling to find) and then finding out they were going to have to finagle financing to cover the difference between their existing mortgage and the high 5 figures their insurance was short....it has not played well with their mental health or long term financial planning.
Well, they lived on a double wide on the property for 10 years while they built the house and about half the homes in the area are manufactured housing, so zoning isn't an issue. But it is California, and we have funny laws on both housing and insurance.

Er. No. The neighbors on both sides smoke pot all day. I can't even have windows open because of the stench coming from their backyards. To each their own vice, but I *loathe* that smell. It's like skunks. Also, we're not close to them in any way, shape, or form-why would I want complete strangers living in my house?

Maybe. I know the couple on one side actually have a second home on some farmland so they wouldn't need it. The couple on the other side are older and have an adult son whose kids are almost grown so they could stay with them. So, I doubt they would even ask us. We do have enough room, we have two unused bedrooms and a bonus room upstairs and 2 complete bathrooms upstairs. The only problem would be the man walking up and down the stairs and I'm not giving up my master downstairs.

Well, they lived on a double wide on the property for 10 years while they built the house and about half the homes in the area are manufactured housing, so zoning isn't an issue. But it is California, and we have funny laws on both housing and insurance.

um yup, large part of my reasoning for leaving. esp. glad with that decision now that there's strong talk of municipalities there mandating meters on private property wells and fining private property owners if they exceed the arbitrary amount the municipality establishes :crazy: :crazy2:

absolutely not. I wouldn't even let a relative stay with me. My house is my space. You have insurance to pay for loss of use, take advantage of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter