Your room key expiration-did you know?

debbiepump

DIS Veteran
My last visit to WDW ( and we've gone a kazillion times), the CM told me to make sure that on the day of check out, to be sure NOT to just leave the key in the room or just throw out anywhere, that our room keys are activated until midnight the day of check out, which means, if gotten in the wrong hands, someone could have a great day on our dime. Never have had a problem, but grateful for the info.

Yes, we knew. Once we checked into AKV after checking out of Pop. We asked if the CM at AKV would dispose of Pop's room key, and all she seemed to do was open a door to an office and throw the key onto/into something. We were worried that whole day that the key would get into wrong hands. Now we just cut the room key up as soon as we know we're leaving the room but staying on property in another resort. The key would be valid for the extra hours on the day of check out, so that would be a reason to keep them safe too.

rwc

We usually keep them, then toss them in the trash when we get home.

We usually keep them, then toss them in the trash when we get home.

Yes, that's what we do also, and sometimes it is a LONG time afterward! LOL, I just found a KTTW card from 3 years ago in an old jacket pocket!:lmao:

No one ele keeps their room key as a souvenier? I remember taking Mom once, and she was honestly so excited at the end of her trip to find out that she could keep her room key as a souvenier. She must have asked 2-3 times-"I get to keep this? For free?" We keep room keys from almost every visit, back to our first, in 1987. Back then, the room keys were a very thin, flexible plastic.

Does anyone remember when OKW had this type of room key?

vingcard.jpg

No one ele keeps their room key as a souvenier? I remember taking Mom once, and she was honestly so excited at the end of her trip to find out that she could keep her room key as a souvenier. She must have asked 2-3 times-"I get to keep this? For free?" We keep room keys from almost every visit, back to our first, in 1987. Back then, the room keys were a very thin, flexible plastic.

My daughter likes to keep room keys for her scrapbook. A nice reminder of the places we've been.

My wife likes to keep the keys. When we first went they did not have the ability to put different names on the keys. So whoever booked the room that was the only name on the key. That disappointed my wife. She is now happy that they can print everyone's name on a separate key.

jon

...room keys are activated until midnight the day of check out
During the warmer months of the year we like to have that one last day in a park before returning home so we'll book a flight leaving around 8:30-9:00 pm. I was a bit surprised when we discovered we could continue to charge things to our room on that last day even though we had checked out. It's very handy to be able to do that but as you stated it means you should keep hold of that card on your last day!

My wife likes to keep the keys. When we first went they did not have the ability to put different names on the keys. So whoever booked the room that was the only name on the key. That disappointed my wife. She is now happy that they can print everyone's name on a separate key.

jon

The fact that the booker of the room had the name on the cards was a HUGE issue for my DSis's DBF. He went down to the BWI's desk, and had a huge temper tantrum, but still, there was no card with his name on it. He may have tried "honey" first but that didn't work either, he really WAS/IS a nice guy. I'll be that he still would not laugh about it now, it's probably been 15+ years since it happened!

Bobbi

I think I could tile a small bathroom with old room keys. I just can't bring myself to throw them away!

reason why we never put cc on room key
Paulh

My wife bought a roll of the strip magnet and cuts a small piece and puts it on all our old keys, all the way back to 1994 and turns them into fridge magnets.Yea I need a bigger fridge.

Yes, We knew and since having our cc number stolen from hotel info we take all magnetic keys with us when we leave and destroy them when we get home. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter