Zoe's FFF Tour (PART ONE)

2BoysMum&Dad

Mouseketeer
(Alternative Title – The “I’m really only 37½ plus state tax” Tour)

Wednesday 2nd February 2005

The Cast

Chief trip organiser – Me
Chauffeur – Me
Trip destination research assistant – Me
Financial backer and consultant – Me
And finally, the holidaymakers – Just Me! :teeth:

For several weeks, I had been gearing myself up for doing Twilight Check-In with Virgin at Gatwick airport the day before my flight. I had vaguely heard about the on-line check-in service but never seriously considered this as an option because I live not far from Gatwick airport and would rather talk to a human for this sort of thing. But a few extra spare hours at home can never go amiss, especially considering I hadn’t actually finished packing yet and suddenly the option of checking-in on-line became a very attractive one! Although I am not far from Gatwick, we would still be talking about two hours out of my precious time to get there, do the check-in and get home again. More to the point, if I checked-in on-line, I would be more free to do a spot of DIBBing! :teeth:

As it happens, I was also waiting for an important document to arrive by special delivery confirming an upgrade in accommodation at Pop Century from a standard room to a room in one of the two preferred buildings. I was assured it would arrive before I was due to drive to Gatwick for Twilight Check-in, but deciding to check-in on-line at home meant I didn’t have to worry about missing the delivery.

On-line check-in with Virgin can be done 24 hours before the flight is due to depart. I had the appropriate details entered on the screen ready just before 11.15 and kept clicking the appropriate button on screen every few seconds until it was accepted at the due time. I was keen to get a nice isle seat and I had read somewhere that I could choose a seat on-line too. It all went through ok and I was automatically allocated a window seat (57K) – “what’s going on” I thought. I had hoped to pick my own seat! I ‘phoned the on-line help ‘phone number and I was advised that it’s not possible to choose a seat within 24 hours of departure – you have to choose your seat in a separate on-line operation before 24 hours before departure, you cannot do the two jobs in one on-line operation! To me, this seemed stupid! The woman on the ‘phone was very helpful and did try to do it for me on her machine but unfortunately it was not possible. Looks like I was stuck with my seat, but she could allocate me with an isle seat for my return journey, so that was done.

Back on the DIBB, posting messages and Val gave me a call on the ‘phone. She had an idea and called me back a few minutes later to say I could almost guarantee to get an isle seat if I went to the airport this afternoon (before 9pm) and go to the Twilight Check-In desk. So I end up driving to the airport anyway for Twilight Check-In after all! I had already collected the kids from school, so I waited for Trevor to arrive home so I didn’t have to drag them along with me. Apparently, 60% seat allocation is made available for on-line check-in and most of the requests are for window seats. So I have a very good chance of getting an isle seat.

Arrived at Gatwick and was only second in the queue. Handed over my case. I made out to the nice young chap behind the desk that I had already tried this new fangled on-line check-in “thing” but I’m not too good with computers (;)), so wasn’t sure if I had done it right. I was worried I had been given a window seat when I wanted an isle seat and if this has happened, is there any possibility he could get me an isle seat instead? He made out (in a pleasant way) that it was going to be tough but he’ll try! No problem and I get seat 50H (an isle seat). He seemed pleasantly surprised that I had made no errors whatsoever with my on-line check-in and explained this is quite rare. I obviously managed to convince him I don’t know much about the things and don’t spend all my waking hours using one! ;)

Back home for a good night's sleep (hopefully), but after getting in bed my eyes stayed wide open while my mind went over all the things I might have forgotten to pack! Had to get out of bed twice to check stuff! Don’t have to leave home in the morning until we’ve got the kids off to school. "See" you tomorrow at the airport!

Oh Goody

Another set of trip reports,we are going to the Pop in August, so I am very interested to see what you thought of it.

Sue :wave:

Ooooh a solo trip, how cool :cool1: I hope you had a wonderful time, I certainly did during mine - I'd love to go again!! And you're staying at my favourite resort :banana: I'm looking forward to reading all about your adventures.

Anz :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter