Zoe's FFF Tour (PART THREE)

2BoysMum&Dad

Mouseketeer
(Alternative Title – The “I’m really only 37½ plus state tax” Tour)

Friday 4th February 2005

The Cast

Chief trip organiser – Me
Chauffeur – Me
Trip destination research assistant – Me
Financial backer and consultant – Me
And finally, the holidaymakers – Just Me!

Got out of bed at around 6.45am local time. I had woken up a few times before this, but had no trouble getting back to sleep again. On the plane before landing yesterday, the Captain said the weather was in the 70s and I noticed it was a nice pleasant temperature when I came out of the airport building. This morning, I put on long thin trousers and a t-shirt but hastily did a u-turn when I stepped out of my room! It was very chilly, so I grabbed my KSC hooded fleece.

First port of call this morning has got to be the Magic Kingdom. Although I was determined to make this trip different to our last one, I wanted to do a handful of things in the same order. I was out of my room by 7.50am and drove to the Transport and Ticket Centre (which is also the car park for MK). Parked in row “Minnie 36” and walked to the gates, showing my Disney residents room card. It was an “early entry hour” day at MK and as long as you could prove you were a Disney resort resident, you are allowed to access the monorail and ferry area. While waiting for the monorail to arrive, I spent ages deciding whether I wanted to face towards MK or away from it, because if I faced forward I would see the castle before entering the park. Yeah, I know, very sad!! I was worried I would see the castle boarded up or something (getting ready for the 50th anniversary celebrations). Decided to face forward and saw the castle nicely intact from the monorail, no sign of any work being done.

Off monorail, through bag search, through gate, collect map and events timetable and start walking up Main Street. First port of call is the Main Street Bakery for a small breakfast. This is what we did last time and we very much liked the food there. This time I had the banana and pecan nut loaf, yoghurt and fruit “thing”, bottle of water and a latte.

3022bakerybreakfast.JPG

Off towards Tomorrowland, passing the “hub” or roundabout in front of the castle which had boarding all around it (painted a nice shade of green with hanging baskets around it!). Would love to know what they are doing to it. There’s no evidence that any work is being done to the castle (not from the front).

Over the bridge towards Tomorrowland and I am very keen to find out what was being developed behind the boarding on the left as you enter this area when we were here last time. It’s the new “Stitch’s Great Escape”. The queue is already building up and I decide to try this later (didn’t bother getting a “Fastpass” ticket, with hindsight I should have done). First ride has to be “Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin” because it was our first ride last time and I liked it. Fairly pathetic score as usual even though the ride gets stuck for a couple of minutes! Last time, we did the “Timekeeper” next but this is currently closed. I wouldn’t have bothered with it anyway, it was interesting but not really worth another look. Next, it had to be the Carousel of Progress. I love the way this show works and the tune is very catchy. They really desperately need to up date it though. There’s a huge gap between two stages, it goes from the 1940s to the 1990s and there’s far too much technological progress in between to ignore. Still love it though (and besides which, it’s not a rollercoaster! :teeth:).

Next it’s a whizz around on the “Tomorrowland Transit Authority”, always good for a rest and look at some of the other attractions in Tomorrowland. You can actually see inside Space Mountain and people going around inside it, it doesn’t look too scary but there are too many blood curdling screams which puts me off! :crazy:

I took this picture just after I got on the “TTA”. It goes round a raised hub area where you get on and off. Up the middle of this hub are moving walkways which take you from ground level up to into the middle of the raised hub.

3022TomorrowlandTransitAuthority.JPG

This picture below was also taken from the “TTA” and you can see “The Lunching Pad” at ground level, another part of the “TTA” above it and at the top is the “Astro Orbitor” which is currently out of action and being refurbished (I believe).

3022astroorbitor.JPG

On the way out of Tomorrowland and towards Fantasyland, I see the cars on tracks which reminds me of Scalextric. Looks fun, but as it’s particularly cold today I decide to leave it for another day if I have time. A couple of things are boarded up with the nice green painted boards including the Dumbo ride. Are they planning on something major at the back of Fantasyland? There is a very long stretch boarded up in Fantasyland which was there last time. It could just be a permanently boarded up area which is very close to where they set off the Wishes fireworks every night.

A major attraction we missed last time was “Peter Pan’s Flight” and I am heading for that now. Small queue, waiting time quoted is only 10 minutes. I make my way to the restrooms first (to the right of Peter Pan) and then join the queue. Peter Pan’s Flight is lovely, very well done. You are taken around in little “boats” which are suspended above the ground and it’s amazing how you can hardly notice the other boats! Next stop “Philharmagic”. It’s great to be able to go straight onto one major attraction and then go straight into another one. Philharmagic is a terribly effective 3D show – a “must see” attraction. We saw this last time and is my “do at least once list” every trip to Florida.

It’s now nearly time for one of my major treats for the whole week – “breakfast” at Cinderella’s Royal Table. This is held in the Castle. A real treat as it’s very difficult to get a booking here. When I ‘phoned a few weeks ago, I held little hope of getting a reservation. I asked if they had a table free on Sunday 6th February as that was my birthday. As it happened, they only had one table free on the Friday at 10.45am, but that was fine with me as I knew how difficult it was to get any booking at all! At 10.30am, I had a wonder around the gift shop inside the bottom of the castle and spotted a very nice pair of Micky Mouse earings. Couldn’t resist buying them!

OK, off towards the entrance of the CRT restaurant now. Luckily they had a record of my name as I had forgotten to bring my reference number! I was then shown into the waiting room where the Fairy Godmother was receiving guests, signing autographs and having her picture taken with young “princesses”.........

3022FairyGodmother.JPG

After waiting 25 minutes (well passed my booking time), my name was called. They have a lovely system where a nicely dressed woman hits three notes on a rack of tubular bells and calls a family name to make themselves known and she gives them a booking card and go upstairs (or the lift) to the restaurant area. I go up and wait to be seated. Shown a nice little table by the window and I have a lovely view over Fantasyland.

View from CRT window ....

3022viewfromwindow2.JPG

Every table except two (me and a married couple) had family groups with daughters. There were a few boys, but they all had sisters with them. This seemed a very well orchestrated restaurant. Things were timed to perfection. I was given the choice of a hot or cold meal. I opted for the cooked meal and while I was waiting, I was brought a white envelope with my name on it. It was a birthday card from my waitress! I was brought a bowl of Danish pastries first, a bowl of fruit, a glass of orange juice and mug of coffee. The food was typically American and very nice, but I couldn’t finish it.

3022CRTfood.JPG

About ten minutes after I arrived, princesses come in and start going to each table. People were taking pictures of their children with the princesses and getting autographs. As the first one approached it became increasingly obvious they were all making a special effort to talk to everyone on every table! :crazy:

I was not bothered about having my photograph taken and certainly not into collecting autographs. It’s a lovely thing for the little girls in the restaurant to be doing and I loved watching all this going on, but if I could have hid in a cupboard I would have done! Anyway, they were all great, they saw my birthday card sitting on the table and this made a good talking point. Some of them had an emergency pen and they all signed my card. They even asked if I wanted my picture taken and asked people on neighbouring tables or the waitress to take the picture. I did feel rather silly for a while but struck up a conversation a couple of times with a family sitting on the next table. There were four girls dressed up in their favourite Disney princess dresses with their mothers (who were sisters) and the grandmother.

A little while later, I was brought a small iced birthday cake with a candle and the waitress got my half of the restaurant to sing “Happy Birthday” to me, extremely embarrassing!

Sorry this is a bit out of focus, I didn’t notice on my digital camera it hadn’t come out particularly well, but you get the idea! Spot the little Mickey sprinkles on the cake!

3022CRTbirthdaycake.JPG

I settled the bill (had already paid a deposit when booking over the ‘phone) and off I went. Heading now towards Liberty Square. I came in right by the Haunted Mansion and decided to go straight on. The queue was very short and we entered with little wait. Last year, the ride stopped for about five minutes and this time I kept trying to remember the exact spot where the ride stopped and guess what? Yup, it stopped in the same place! Not long this time, less than half a minute.

It was now around 12.40 and I wanted to get to Epcot. So decided to leave the rest of MK for another day. On my way out from the Haunted Mansion, I noticed the Liberty Bell Riverboat was not in operation, I don’t know if this was permanently out of action or temporarily. I often like doing this sort of ride to get a good view of other attractions I may like to visit later, shame it was out of action.

Still trying not to be sidetracked while exiting MK, I spotted the Country Bear Jamboree. This was something we nearly did last time, but when we realised what kind of show it was, DH Trevor wasn’t keen – thinking it would be very “lame” and not worth the effort. I was keen to give it a go this time, particularly because there was only a very short wait before the next “performance”. It was quite entertaining and just the sort of thing I was expecting, so no particular surprises. From an adult perspective, not worth a second visit but small children would probably appreciate it more.

Nearly reached Main Street and saw a man in a stripped jacket playing the piano. I wasn’t sure who he was supposed to be but I have now been reliably informed that it’s a ragtime piano player (and there was me thinking it might be Bert from Mary Poppins!).

3022ragtimepianoplayer.jpg

I manage to get to the monorail without any further distractions. It went via the Grand Floridian, I must pay this place a visit on my birthday. I get the car park tram to my bit of the car park and drive back to my room at Pop Century. There’s a light flashing on my room ‘phone, a message from Trevor. I ‘phone home but just let it ring three times. At home, we have one of those gadgets that shows the ‘phone number of the caller. If the caller is ringing from abroad, it will just display “unavailable”. I hoped Trevor would use his initiative and yes – he ‘phoned me back! Had a nice chat and I reminded him to make sure he takes Michael to his Ju Juitsu lesson the next morning as he has an assessment which will go towards his next belt. Had a nice chat for a few minutes and I then head off in the car again.

Now, how should I make my grand entrance at Epcot? I decide to drive to Disney’s Boardwalk and take the boat to the “International Gateway” entrance to Epcot. Seemed a more interesting way of doing it, especially as I hadn’t done it before! On the boat, I had an interesting chat with an elderly woman who was there with her husband. Typical of a woman to be chatty but not the man, he never said a word! The CM on the boat announced that the last boat back to Disney’s Boardwalk would be 7.30pm from the International Gateway and therefore if we had parked cars there, we’d need to get a coach from the front of Epcot.

My mission this afternoon and evening was to get through the whole of Epcot’s World Showcase. So, first port of call was “Canada”, but head towards the Off Kilter stage first. I am surprised to see it all closed up and I checked my “events sheet”. It seems Friday is their only day off, seems like a good reason to come back another day! We had a very brief look at the Canada area last time and we couldn’t quite make it out. There didn’t seem much there. This time I was determined to have a proper look around and went down the steps at the back of the area. This leads you to an interesting 360º film show of stunning Canadian scenery.

I manage to get through all the countries in World Showcase. Several other countries have films showing lovely scenery from their country including France and Norway. I listened briefly to “British Invasion” playing, they are a Beatles tribute band. One of the songs they played was "Twist & Shout" and a group of ladies in matching shirts and jeans got up to dance! .....

3022dancinginepcot.JPG

Apparently, China also has a 360º film show but I didn’t come across it. I didn’t dwell in most of the souvenir shops but did have a good look around the one in Germany. By now my hands were fairly freezing and I gave in to temptation in the German shop and got a pair of “one size fits all” gloves. They are very warm and do the trick nicely. A lot of the countries seem to have some sort of street act, this might be live music, traditional drum playing in Japan, a comedy performance of Romeo & Juliet in Italy and an interesting one in France! A man climbed onto a chair and kept stacking more and more chairs while moving up them! Mexico and Norway have boat rides inside their buildings which are rather fun. The Eiffel Tower in France is a bit of a disappointment, you can’t get at it!! France also seems to have a lot of work being done to it at the moment and it seems much of it is boarded up.

By the time I have finished looking around Mexico, I am very tired and have done a lot of walking. I debate whether I should hang around for Illuminations, but this is an hour off and I could do with an “early” night (especially as my body now think it’s 1am – GMT!). So I head out through the main exit of Epcot, remembering what the woman said on the boat earlier. Disney coaches can take you most places and resorts, so there must be one for Disney’s Boardwalk. Must have spent ten minutes walking up and down, but NO! No signs for Disney’s Boardwalk! Oh dear! So, I get a coach to Pop Century and hope my car will be ok at the Boardwalk overnight. I am too tired to bother trying to work out any way of getting to it tonight. My only problem now is that I’m supposed to be meeting Elise and her family for Breakfast at Boma at 8.15 (for 8.30) tomorrow morning! On the coach back to the Pop Century, I sent a text message to Elise’s mobile ‘phone – told her my car was stuck at the Boardwalk. She replied and asked if it had broken down. “No” I said, “too difficult to explain by text message, can I ‘phone you in 15 minutes?”. Got back to my room and the light was flashing on my room ‘phone again. This time there were two messages and they were both from Vicki (opticalhazer), she asked if we could meet up an hour earlier tomorrow at Universal Studios – 4.30pm, then she ‘phoned again to leave her hotel ‘phone number and room number. I didn’t call her back immediately because it was getting a bit late and I didn’t want to wake her children and I had to contact Elise about tomorrow morning’s arrangements. I’ll ‘phone Vicki first thing in the morning. I ‘phone Elise and explain what happened and she kindly offers the services of her husband to come and pick me up tomorrow morning at 8am and then drop me off at my car afterwards. I am eternally grateful!

Good night all, see you tomorrow at Boma.

What a busy day, no wonder you were tired. Great report looking forward to the rest.

Sue :wave:

What a brilliant day you had :teeth: Thanks for posting the TTA pictures - it's my favourite ride :banana: I think you had the same table that hubby and I had at Cinderella's on Christmas Day - your photo is nearly identical to mine. I say nearly because the window was covered with rain in mine. Look forward to reading about Boma - only eaten dinner there but I'd love to try the breakfast.

Anz :earsgirl:

That was a really busy day. it sounds like you had a great holiday :cheer2:

Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter