Zootopia expansion coming to Shanghai

Yeah, but Baloo has been, whose exactly like him. So I guess you can't hang your hat on Little John being too human-like.
But they aren’t exactly alike... looks are one thing. Actions, atmosphere, the actual films are another.

I'm confused on why we are using the "recycled animation" for an argument here? There have been a lot of interesting articles on Robin Hood and the fact that a lot of characters and scenes are recycling from old films: Jungle Book, Snow White, Aristocats, etc. This doesn't seem to change the fact that Jungle Book is in the jungle and is about (for the most part) animals as animals, vs. Robin Hood with animals playing human characters. (For what it's worth, Robin Hood is one of my favorites and I would love to see more of him at WDW, but don't think he belongs in AK)

Baloo doesn't wear clothes or play what's historically a human character. He's a bear in the wild.

I'm confused on why we are using the "recycled animation" for an argument here? There have been a lot of interesting articles on Robin Hood and the fact that a lot of characters and scenes are recycling from old films: Jungle Book, Snow White, Aristocats, etc. This doesn't seem to change the fact that Jungle Book is in the jungle and is about (for the most part) animals as animals, vs. Robin Hood with animals playing human characters. (For what it's worth, Robin Hood is one of my favorites and I would love to see more of him at WDW, but I don't think he belongs in AK)

The debate is about whether Zootopia is too human to be in Animal Kingdom. I believe the same question can be proposed for Robin Hood because they are playing roles originally made for humans.

The topic isn't about recycled animation. You are going way off topic with that one MonorailRabbit.

I realize that isn't the topic, disnut4ever. It appeared someone was trying to say that since Little John was basically the same character as Baloo it added something to the argument. While the character's animation, and voice, are similar, the roles are not, so I don't know why that comparison was made. Baloo is a bear in the wild, Little John is a bear playing a human character. Anyway, I agree with rteez that it doesn't fit, but I think I am done responding :)

The debate is about whether Zootopia is too human to be in Animal Kingdom. I believe the same question can be proposed for Robin Hood because they are playing roles originally made for humans.

The topic isn't about recycled animation. You are going way off topic with that one MonorailRabbit.

yeah, but I think those that are against zootopia would also be against robin hood for the same reason - they are acting like humans in a human setting

Jungle book, even though Baloo is in there, is acting like a bear in an animal habitat/setting ... to me these comparisons very clearly delineate why the Jungle Book would fit and why Robin Hood or Zootopia don't fit

I realize that isn't the topic, disnut4ever. It appeared someone was trying to say that since Little John was basically the same character as Baloo it added something to the argument. While the character's animation, and voice, are similar, the roles are not, so I don't know why that comparison was made. Baloo is a bear in the wild, Little John is a bear playing a human character. Anyway, I agree with rteez that it doesn't fit, but I think I am done responding :)

yeah, but I think those that are against zootopia would also be against robin hood for the same reason - they are acting like humans in a human setting

Jungle book, even though Baloo is in there, is acting like a bear in an animal habitat/setting ... to me these comparisons very clearly delineate why the Jungle Book would fit and why Robin Hood or Zootopia don't fit

Baloo, is a bear who walks like a man and watches over a little indian boy. So Jungle Book is far from reality based. Last time I checked we're not allowing bears to baby sit children and sing songs with them.

To say Baloo is an animal and Little John isn't because of their stories and how they act isn't right. If I walked around stark naked barking at the moon I would still be a human. Just an odd one.

Baloo, is a bear who walks like a man and watches over a little indian boy. So Jungle Book is far from reality based. Last time I checked we're not allowing bears to baby sit children and sing songs with them.

To say Baloo is an animal and Little John isn't because of their stories and how they act isn't right. If I walked around stark naked barking at the moon I would still be a human. Just an odd one.
Bears can walk on two legs at times in the real world.

I’m not going to continue to argue but to me Jungle Book fits better than Robin Hood and Zootopia.

Well... 3-year-old who was missing for days says a bear watched over him in North Carolina woods

Little John is a human character in a human setting in human clothing portrayed by an anthropomorphic bear. Baloo is a bear in the wild.

Okay not to keep this argument going....but...

I would think the purist's issue would be just as high on Jungle Book as you don't even have bears in a jungle.

but to the point of this discussion, I agree with @rteetz and @TheMaxRebo that Jungle book is about characters interacting in their environment and the effect they have on it, as does Pandora. That is not the case with Robin Hood and Zootopia where they are focused more on story telling or moral stories using Animals in a human like setting.

Trying to get this back on topic.
Is this really big enough to be a "land"?(in shanghai) Is it being built with an eye towards expansion if it proves to be popular?

Disney has had a history of smaller areas that are temporary. Small areas with no attractions that aren't necessarily a "land".

Just curious what folks definition is of a land? Must it have attractions? Is a cohesive theme of an area, enough? Must it have it's own music loop.

Would you consider Main street USA a land, or liberty square? Could you have a land within a land? (For example something along the lines of Cars land, inside a Pixar land).
Sometimes we throw out definitions that I don't think we all see eye to eye on.
No right or wrongs here, just curious what everyone's take is.

Is this really big enough to be a "land"?(in shanghai) Is it being built with an eye towards expansion if it proves to be popular?

Disney has had a history of smaller areas that are temporary. Small areas with no attractions that aren't necessarily a "land".

Just curious what folks definition is of a land? Must it have attractions? Is a cohesive theme of an area, enough? Must it have it's own music loop.

Would you consider Main street USA a land, or liberty square? Could you have a land within a land? (For example something along the lines of Cars land, inside a Pixar land).

Good question. It was mentioned a ride, shop, and food, so maybe it would be Liberty Square in size? I would think that if Liberty Square was built today it would be considered a "Land".

According to Disney Main Street and Liberty Square are lands.

I would consider this a land. There is no set definition for how many rides, shops, dining an area needs to be a land.

I do think there would be room for further expansion if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter