Zootopia expansion coming to Shanghai

Trying to get this back on topic.
Is this really big enough to be a "land"?(in shanghai) Is it being built with an eye towards expansion if it proves to be popular?

Disney has had a history of smaller areas that are temporary. Small areas with no attractions that aren't necessarily a "land".

Just curious what folks definition is of a land? Must it have attractions? Is a cohesive theme of an area, enough? Must it have it's own music loop.

Would you consider Main street USA a land, or liberty square? Could you have a land within a land? (For example something along the lines of Cars land, inside a Pixar land).
Sometimes we throw out definitions that I don't think we all see eye to eye on.
No right or wrongs here, just curious what everyone's take is.

I think there are different definitions but if you look at Hong Kong Disneyland, their first expansion was three smaller lands, that were each called a "Land" two of which really only have 1 attraction. I think a "land" is a uniquely themed area and that once you are outside of that theming you are outside of that land

Even at the original Disneyland, they have Critter Country which just has Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh ... even their New Orleans Sq is pretty small land wise (granted it has 2 classic attractions so *feels* important, but size wise it is pretty small)

EDIT - added a map of those small lands in Hong Kong Disneyland ... I would think this Zootopia would be at least as big and immersive as they are:
Hong Kong Disneyland microlands.jpg

Judging by how many mini lands are going to makeup Zootopia it is going to be huge. It seems to have most of the types of land covered, sand, rainforest, snow, city, etc.

Judging by how many mini lands are going to makeup Zootopia it is going to be huge. It seems to have most of the types of land covered, sand, rainforest, snow, city, etc.
This land won’t have all the sections seen in the movie.

I'm sure it won't, but it will at least have most of them. The differences is what makes Zootopia so unique.
Based on the concept image it appears this land will only be the metropolis type city area not any others.

Based on the concept image it appears this land will only be the metropolis type city area not any others.

I seen a few sites that have said it will have many sections. Like theme park tourist.com

https://www.****************.com/news/20190123/36541/new-zootopia-land-announced

"Though only one piece of concept art was released alongside this new land announcement, it looks like Disney is definitely going to be recreating the look of Zootopia from the film, and rumors seem to indicate that guests will be able to explore the different "neighborhoods" seen in the movie, including Sahara Square, Tundratown, Little Rodentia, Rainforest District, and Downtown."

Last edited:
I wonder if more characters will be introduced besides Judy and Nick? Would LOVE to meet Bogo or Clawhauser! (She says as if she'll ever actually get to Shanghai :rotfl:). Will be interesting to see what kind of merch they come up with as well and see if any of it makes its way over here!

I seen a few sites that have said it will have many sections. Like theme park tourist.com

"Though only one piece of concept art was released alongside this new land announcement, it looks like Disney is definitely going to be recreating the look of Zootopia from the film, and rumors seem to indicate that guests will be able to explore the different "neighborhoods" seen in the movie, including Sahara Square, Tundratown, Little Rodentia, Rainforest District, and Downtown."
Theme park tourist is not in anyway reliable.

This won’t be a big land by any means with only one attraction.

I wonder if more characters will be introduced besides Judy and Nick? Would LOVE to meet Bogo or Clawhauser! (She says as if she'll ever actually get to Shanghai :rotfl:). Will be interesting to see what kind of merch they come up with as well and see if any of it makes its way over here!
They have a lot of merch there already as Shanghai/China loves Zootopia.

Theme park tourist is not in anyway reliable.

This won’t be a big land by any means with only one attraction.

It looks pretty big in the 2 concept pics on page 9 of this thread.

zootopia_concept_art_by_cory_loftis_disney_14.jpg

zooconcept2.jpg

Oh alright, maybe they will expand in the future though. Because it seems like a waste just to include the city part. Zootopia is about the different ecosystems.

Maybe they could do it that land itself will largely be the city part but you will go into the train station to board the attraction which will be like you are on the train going through all of the different ecosystems like in the movie, accomplished using a blend of screens and physical sets with forced perspective

Maybe they could do it that land itself will largely be the city part but you will go into the train station to board the attraction which will be like you are on the train going through all of the different ecosystems like in the movie, accomplished using a blend of screens and physical sets with forced perspective

Nick and Judy’s Runaway Railway

I see no reason why Zootopia wouldn't fit in nicely with Animal Kingdom. The train would take people from the supposed real world part of the park.

I see no reason why Zootopia wouldn't fit in nicely with Animal Kingdom. The train would take people from the supposed real world part of the park.
They wouldn’t need the train because the expansion space is in the area between the train stations. The train takes you to Rafikis which isn’t going anywhere as long as Animal Kingdom is an accredited zoo.

They wouldn’t need the train because the expansion space is in the area between the train stations. The train takes you to Rafikis which isn’t going anywhere as long as Animal Kingdom is an accredited zoo.

They can just put those facilities somewhere else. Zootopia is way more important than the backstage areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter