11/01/03 Eastern Cruisers, I know you're out there!!!

You bring your scale? WOW!

I did TONS Of stairs last year (we were on 6 so we rarely took the elevator) and did walk/work-out 5 days. I felt like that helped. I was 2 pounds heavier when I next weighed (which was about a week later since we moved when we got home).

I am going to walk/work-out again; it really helps offset the food.

I've also been doing low-carbs so I'm kind of afraid to eat much sugar stuff. Even having a low carb "approved bar" can set my stomach off. I don't plan on scrimping (the thought of the tenderloin at Palo's literally has me salivating) but I am going to try and take lots of "tastes" but not eat the whole thing too!

OMG, I am SO excited. I can't even work today (my whole group is off besides me so there's not a lot of pressure); I'm printing the old navigators (from August) and looking at what we'd like to do, etc.

ok, I've gone nuts posting questions about on-board activities! I thought about searching, but it hardly ever seems to work!

Any input on the Toad Races? The Chip-It golf thing (I think someone here has done this). The Art of Entertaining things? The galley tour?

OH MY! There is SO much to do! We did NONE of this last year and were still busy all the time; how little I knew then!

I printed the Navigators but haven't sat down and read them yet. I have a 15 hour car ride, they'll keep me busy. My DH did the chip-n-putt last year. It's held in the atrium, so you can watch from many different places. The object is to hit a hollow, very light golf ball onto a putting green they have set up. It's harder than it sounds and it was fun to watch. My DH wasn't very good at it and he golfs so I think I might give it a shot. Seems like fun and anyone has a fair chance.

The Art of Entertainment Series was really good and I can't wait to do it again. I guess I get my thrills easily but they make it very entertaining to learn to fold napkins, make desserts, appetizers, cocktails, etc. My DH who is definitely not the type of person to go to these things enjoyed himself. We even used our new found napkin folding techniques at dinner to impress our wait staff.

The bridge tour was just added again recently. They stopped giving the tour after 9/11. I read a trip report that said it was really nice. We're going to try to do that while everyone is off the ship in St. Maarten.

I also want to do the wine tasting this year. I'm not much of a wine drinker but it would be interesting to learn what all the hype is all about. All wines taste the same to me. Maybe they can enlighten my palette.

I hope we get to try everything we missed last year. I'm not bothering with Palo and haven't thought about the spa so there's plenty of time to see as much as possible. I really am looking forward to the down time.

wow! I had no idea that we could put on so much weight in such a short time. yikes! I hadn't really thought about being careful, but will definitely have to consider everything that enters my mouth. even if for a brief moment, then i'll devour it.

Deb (masonips) I'm sending you a PM about friends who are doing T or T with you at the Rad. Please check.

Have we narrowed down a time for our walk/jog? It sounds like we're going to need this.

Great idea about asking Verandahman for pics. Can't wait to see.

7 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to chime in here for taking the stairs. I did not gain anything on our last cruise but we always took the stairs. I think it was faster then the elevators too. I figure it's vacation and Disney-which didn't you guys know calories do not count at Disney!:teeth:

I went to most of the art of entertaining-cake and plate decorating, entree, appetizer, and Dh went to another one. I thought it was fun and you usually get to try a little bit of wine too. I am not a wine drinker-(funny since I live so close to Napa and half a dozen CA wineries) but I was happy to sample them.

The Galley tour was short but pretty cool. My DS loves to watch Food Network and claims he wants to be a chef so he probably had the most fun.

We went to tea with Wendy and if we skip it my DS will not be upset-although he did mention it as something he remembers.

My DH is happy the bridge tour is back. He went to the other building of the Magic or something and brought back a pretty cool poster that is hanging in our spare bedroom along with the art of entertaining poster signed by the chef.

Has anyone done the theater tour?

Kristina :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Thumpersmom - DH did the theater tour last year and was very impressed.

I heard somewhere that some of the weight gain on a cruise can be attributed to desalinated water. It doesn't taste like salt water, but has a lot of sodium in it.

I just got back from my 3 day cruise with my mom and sister. I did gain about 2-3 pounds, but within 3-4 days dropped down to only 1 up. I ate everything in sight. Ok, not everything, but at dinners I always had soup and either an appetizer or salad, main course and of course dessert. I ate more for breakfast than normal, about normal for lunch. I did exercise a bit, but not as much as I think I will on Magic. DH and I walked much more than mom, sis and I did!!

Tomorrow is official packing day. I'll be setting aside clothes to wear to work next week (only Monday to Wednesday :teeth: ) Everything is washed from the last cruise and now I need to start pulling out some stuff (I think I have about 10 short-sleeved shirts set aside!!).

Masonpips, I will be doing the galley tour and the bridge tour this year. Did some of the Art of Entertaining and entered the Chip-It contest (and tied for 1st place - only female that day!). Sweetspot is right about it. I chalk it up to luck!

I took some great pictures last week of the Wonder leaving port. It's too bad I don't know anyone who will be on the RCL or Carnival ships Saturday! I was up on the RCL deck facing Wonder. If I zoom in a bit, I can probably see the smiling faces of all those on deck.

Getting exited now :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

tagall4; will go read my pm next

I just spent the evening going through my entire closet and trying on everything I own (or it felt like it). I have a ton of stuff for Goodwill; but I have about 80% of my cruise stuff ready. I think I've decided to wear the same dress formal and semi-formal nights; it's probably for a total of 5 hours between dinner/pics (I changed for the shows last year) and it will be SO much less to pack; plus I *love* my dress and the 2 I wore last year seem like second bananas (they're both fine but I can't decide so this keeps me from deciding!).

I am definitely doing the galley tour; it sounds great! I think I'll send dh + kids to the Toad race and/or golf and I want to do one or two things in the spa. I just read about the capsule for the first time; it sounds pretty cool!

I didn't mean to scare everyone about the weight gain. I gained that much because that's how my body works. I don't each much normally so I think my body went into shock being allowed to finally eat. I took a week off of dieting and enjoyed every second of it. I was back to my normal weight two weeks after returning home. Enjoy yourself, do the stairs, eat what you want, someone else is cooking it for you!!

My pile of bags is growing daily. I keep remembering things I want to bring along. Too much overplanning leads to big time overpacking. At least I'm ready for anything.

Tracy

Masonpips

What is the capsule?

Has anyone heard anything about the spa? I heard they did not get to it on drydock and it really needed it. I had wanted to sign up for some treatments, but not if it is in bad shape. Someone mentioned something about the sauna in part of it and the showers not working right.

The capsule is some type of thing you get in and your body is in a machine and you rest/relax for 40 minutes or so (per Barb's site it's only $25; go to castawayclub.com). I think it's like those liquid massagers you see in the malls maybe? If you can deal with the lying down part (I think it looks quite coffin like) it's supposed to be great. Someone wrote "like 2 hours of sleep". Since I don't plan to sleep much, this might be a "must-do"

We had no real issue with the surial chamber last year; it took a few minutes for the steam to start but once it did, it was very WARM in there! I used the exercise area a lot and it was nice as were the locker rooms.

We had massages on Castaway and they were nice too.

Does anyone know if we need to fill out those forms that say the Bahamas on top? We're not going there, but maybe they're used for other purposes.

Thanks!

Also, if we wanted to sit with someone, is it too late to call and ask? We are both already early seating.

Castaway Cay is the Bahamas so you do have to fill out that form; I think I called last year (or found out here; my resource center LOL)

I think you can still request to link and they'll try and do their best; you could also ask at Guest Services (or wherever it is) when you board the ship. We had linked last year, then unlinked (they ended up having family come on the cruise) and they still had us at two tables right next to each other so they're very accomodating. Good luck!

Hi All!

Well after some last minute bookings I will be joining you all on the Nov 1st cruise. I hope it's not too late for me to join in with just a week to go before sailing! I actually booked the cruise about a week and a half ago but I haven't had chance to post as I've been away from home with some of my family.

Anyway, it's just me cruising all alone so I'm hoping to make some new Dis friends (if any of you can put up with me!!! :p ).

This will be my 4th 7 night Disney cruise, as a guest that is. I actually have been recently working for DCL on the Disney Magic as an assistant server. I was working on-board from late February to July. I am now currently in the process in applying for different position on-board. As this is taking a little bit of time and as I was missing the ship I decided I would book a cruise and try out the guest experience again (seeing things from the other side again!). I'm looking forward to see my friends on-board (and suprise them!) and of course meeting all of you disboarder's.

I'm going to be flying in to Orlando on Wednesday evening. I'm then staying a few nights at the Wyndham Palace Resort at WDW before returning to the airport on Saturday where I will get the first DCL shuttle to the port.

I just can't wait!!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Welcome DisneylandDarren! We have a great group of people sailing with us Nov. 1st and are so happy to have one more aboard. I remember reading you post way back about a back to back cruise I believe I remember you posting about getting a job with DCL. Hopefully, I am remembering right.

We are planning our DISmeet on Saturday 5:00 - 6:00 Deck 7 Aft and Sunday, 12:30 - 1:30 at the Promenade Lounge. Look forward to seeing you there.

a week from now we should be finishing up the first meal

~yum~

Welcome Darren!

It's high 40's and rainy here; our first real winter blast!

Welcome DLDarren! I think it's great you've worked on the Magic and come back to visit. That says alot. We're first-timers and looking forward to a fabulous experience. Hope you can make one of our "meets."

Thanks for the Bahama info. I forgot about Castaway Cay.

Mas- I was thinking the same as you; this time nest week....

It's almost here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to set clocks back tonight. Hey, I just thought of this- those people on board tonight get a whole extra hour. Not fair.

Has anyone found any "recent" Navigators?

Been running REALLY crazy getting everything in order for the cruise, vow renewal, Halloween (just had a party for the kiddos/friends at our house today), AND regular stuff. Too much to do, I have NO idea how it will all get done-LOL.

Welcome all new cruise attendees!! Can't wait to meet you all!!!! Just think in LESS than a week we will all be on the ship having a blast (boy I need a rum punch just thinking of it-hehehe!!).

Still trying to figure out what to do with my wedding dress and the girls' flower girl dresses. I want to bring them on the flight, but it is first come first serve. I hate to bring them and then have to put them in an overhead compartment..YIKES! They will not take advance notification on our outbound flight, so I am just going to haVe to wing it...argh!

Friday, the kids have their Halloween parties and parades (1st one for youngest DD and first one in Kindergarten for oldest DS...so a CAN'T miss day). Then we are shooting home, packing costumes (I think) and booking to the airport.

I printed out the mickey labels (THANKS Crenze!!!! You are a DOLL!!) I will try to remember to bring safety pins (I should see uf I can remember to by label printer paper, and reprint them).

I also printed a larger mickey head with the words DISBOARD MEMBERS on magnetic printer paper for our door...WOOHOO!

Debbie

Thankyou for all the welcomes and the info on the DISmeet's. I will definatly be there.

I'm currently working on some posters for my stateroom door!

I'm just in a catagory 11 on deck 6. When I first booked I got GTY cabin status and I hoped they might upgrade me (wishful thinking), but no luck so far. Oh well, catagory 11 is more than big enough for me. I think it will be about 20 times bigger than my crew cabin!!! :D

sweetspot - you have a great memory!!! I did do a back to back cruise and post about it. I'm impressed ::yes:: . I think you have a better memory than me.

debbie - Magnetic Printer Paper? That's interesting, so it should stick straight to the door, right? I'll have to look out for some of that myself. I was just going to use normal laminated paper and then tape it to the door, but that magnetic paper sounds great.

Welcome Darren It is so cool to have a former crew member among. Do tell do the crew really appreciate phone cards or would they prefer cold hard cash.;)

Hi dis4me! :wave2:

On the subject of tipping & phone cards, Obviously all servers/assistant servers love cash (as that's the main reason many of them are there), but I have to say I have the fondest memories of a few guests who left me phone cards. They would usually leave the standard tip amount and then leave me a phone card on top.

This was perfect for me as I never seemed to have the time to buy phone cards (with the long hours we were working). The phone cards used to come in extremely useful on Saturdays (Port Canaveral Days) when we were often working virtually all day with no time to get off the ship. Because of this Disney provided phones on the ship that would be plugged in on Saturdays as land-lines, that we could use to call home with phonecards.

Also, I think phonecards would also come in useful if you want to give something to someone in a non-tipped position (for exceptional service). For example: Guest Services, Kids Programmers, Cruise Staff etc.

If you are thinking about getting any phone cards, the most important thing to ensure though is that the phone cards you buy work well internationally as that's where virtually all crew will be calling.

Hope this helps (sorry it ended up being so long!), and I look forward to see you on-board :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter