13 Days of Disney - Everything We Never Knew We Always Wanted - June 2016 TR Update 1/30

Things you are making me want to do:
  1. Hang out in the Contemporary for ages. I've been there for Chef Mickey's, which is very cool as a kid at least, but I've never actually explored. Those shops, though... mmmmm...
  2. Eat at least a dozen meals at 'Ohana. That bread pudding looks divine.

I'm making myself want to do those things as well! :rotfl: I'm sitting here eating what can only be described as a pitiful lunch and would love to swap it out for some of that bread pudding right now.

Another little favorite thing about the Contemporary concourse that I forgot to mention in my report: tucked in the back corner behind Fantasia is the little market shop. Each day, they put out a chalkboard with themed Disney trivia questions. We love stopping by and trying to answer the questions. Not a big thing, but's a nice touch.

Truly enjoying your TR! I had to laugh to myself when watching the video of the kids' reaction to EE. I'm at work sneaking a peak at your TR and don't have the volume on so couldn't make out what Alex is saying but from his expression I'm guessing he didn't like it too much lol. So sad about the little 2 yr old boy and saw the video of his parents' on his birthday. I pray for their healing and broken hearts <3

One day I hope to get to eat at Kona and enjoy their amazing food! The desserts at Yak & Yeti and Kona are out of this world!

Truly enjoying your TR! I had to laugh to myself when watching the video of the kids' reaction to EE. I'm at work sneaking a peak at your TR and don't have the volume on so couldn't make out what Alex is saying but from his expression I'm guessing he didn't like it too much lol.

Ha! He's saying that the ride was exhausting. He can be such a little drama king. :rolleyes: Thanks for reading and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

One day I hope to get to eat at Kona and enjoy their amazing food! The desserts at Yak & Yeti and Kona are out of this world!

I feel like I'm going to have to try Kona for dinner some time so I can try their desserts. I've heard that they are as good for dinner as they are for breakfast, but I don't like seafood so I've been a little nervous to try. On the other hand, I will be eating that Yak & Yeti dessert at least once per trip from here on out. :P

Last edited:
Great non-park day all around ::yes:: It's been quite sometime since I've shopped in the Contemporary shops, I may have to remedy that next month.
And glad you liked 'Ohana dinner! We've done it twice, it's not my favorite but all the boys love it - meat on a stick, ya know lol? I was considering looking for an ADR now that there's the possibility just Chris and I will be there for a couple days and he's the biggest fan out of my 3 boys, but as of yet I haven't. And if I do it won't be an easy feat! It's always nice to find a restaurant you feel you want to eat in again and again down there. While we've never had a BAD meal, there are more places we aren't in a rush to return to than there are places we'd like to eat at almost every trip.

Great rest of the "off" day. I'm a huge fan of shopping...really huge if it's Disney shopping but I am not sure I've ever shopped at the Contemporary. I've never stayed there though I think my DH has....when he was a kid anyway!

Loving the 'Ohana meal. Dinner does sound good but I'm such a grazer, I'd never be able to eat much there.

Oh and nice shirt for your DH! AJ had his Monster's University obsession for a few months. So much so, he wore out the DVD!

You guys were good about early to bed when you had an early next day. I'm horrible about going to bed early!

Great non-park day all around ::yes:: It's been quite sometime since I've shopped in the Contemporary shops, I may have to remedy that next month.
And glad you liked 'Ohana dinner! We've done it twice, it's not my favorite but all the boys love it - meat on a stick, ya know lol? I was considering looking for an ADR now that there's the possibility just Chris and I will be there for a couple days and he's the biggest fan out of my 3 boys, but as of yet I haven't. And if I do it won't be an easy feat! It's always nice to find a restaurant you feel you want to eat in again and again down there. While we've never had a BAD meal, there are more places we aren't in a rush to return to than there are places we'd like to eat at almost every trip.

I love the shops, but, as I said, they can be dangerous! ;)

The meat on a stick thing was such a draw for Rees and Cora. I'm not a big meat eater, but I liked the chicken and the noodles/veggies were good too. What really sold me was the dessert. However, I've also heard good things about the bread pudding at Raglan Road, so we're thinking of trying that one next year.

Great rest of the "off" day. I'm a huge fan of shopping...really huge if it's Disney shopping but I am not sure I've ever shopped at the Contemporary. I've never stayed there though I think my DH has....when he was a kid anyway!

I actually don't really like shopping, but my desire to collect Disney stuff overrules that at WDW. ;) You will only be a short boat ride away from the Contemporary when you're at WL (thinking happy thoughts for you and saying when instead of if). I really wanted to see WL and tried to convince my family to ride the boat over there with me, but no dice. It is happening one day, dang it.

Loving the 'Ohana meal. Dinner does sound good but I'm such a grazer, I'd never be able to eat much there.

I struggle to eat much in the morning, but I can put some major amounts of food away in the evenings lol. Dinner buffets are my friends.

Oh and nice shirt for your DH! AJ had his Monster's University obsession for a few months. So much so, he wore out the DVD!

MU holds a special place in our hearts because the movie was about to come out right around the time of our first trip so there was MU stuff all around the parks. We came home and saw the movie while still on our WDW high and that cemented our love for it. Alex has definitely played our DVD of it quite a bit as well.

You guys were good about early to bed when you had an early next day. I'm horrible about going to bed early!

I'm terrible about it at home (see: me on the DIS right now at midnight), but try really hard at WDW. I usually end up taking some Advil PM early to help knock myself out.

I'm terrible about it at home (see: me on the DIS right now at midnight), but try really hard at WDW. I usually end up taking some Advil PM early to help knock myself out.
I should bring my Advil PM to Disney! I'm only up now because it's a school morning :rolleyes: But regardless I stay up late at night whether at home or at Disney, and at Disney I watch TV or (or get on the Dis) for a little bit after everyone else has gone to sleep regardless of what time we're getting up. Too bad RD isn't say.........1pm lol!!

I should bring my Advil PM to Disney! I'm only up now because it's a school morning :rolleyes: But regardless I stay up late at night whether at home or at Disney, and at Disney I watch TV or (or get on the Dis) for a little bit after everyone else has gone to sleep regardless of what time we're getting up. Too bad RD isn't say.........1pm lol!!
I did the exact same last trip. After everyone went to bed, I took a shower, grabbed some wine, and hit the Dis!

Oh, man. I can't even tell you how much 'm looking forward to our dinner ADR at 'Ohana. So glad you liked it. That bread pudding is :love:

I did the exact same last trip. After everyone went to bed, I took a shower, grabbed some wine, and hit the Dis!

Oh this was totally me too. Everyone else goes to bed, then I shower and look at facebook and the DIS. But I would still try to get to sleep by midnight or so rather than my usual 2:00am. :thumbsup2

Oh, man. I can't even tell you how much 'm looking forward to our dinner ADR at 'Ohana. So glad you liked it. That bread pudding is :love:

Agreed! :goodvibes

had to laugh when I saw the time on your post was 1 a.m.

this is totally our entire family! Been that way forever. Hard habit to break. I may have to try nyquil next trip ;)

Oh this was totally me too. Everyone else goes to bed, then I shower and look at facebook and the DIS. But I would still try to get to sleep by midnight or so rather than my usual 2:00am. :thumbsup2
I think it was between 12 and 1 for me.....

My normal is based on day bc M-F I have to be up around 5:50 for work. I try 11 but it's usually closer to 12. Weekends, I try midnight bc the boys get up around 7 most days (though occasionally it's 8), but it's usually closer to 1.

I think it was between 12 and 1 for me.....

My normal is based on day bc M-F I have to be up around 5:50 for work. I try 11 but it's usually closer to 12. Weekends, I try midnight bc the boys get up around 7 most days (though occasionally it's 8), but it's usually closer to 1.

I'm going to try for an early night tonight! It's almost 11:30 and I'm about to get in bed. Woohoo! I have a ton of work to do this week so I'm going to try to get better sleep. The good news is that things will (briefly) lighten up for me work-wise beginning next week.

I'm going to try for an early night tonight! It's almost 11:30 and I'm about to get in bed. Woohoo! I have a ton of work to do this week so I'm going to try to get better sleep. The good news is that things will (briefly) lighten up for me work-wise beginning next week.
Glad you made it to bed early! It was about 12:15 for me and then Will called for me about 12:40...ugh. He's going through some sleep regression. Good luck on getting all your work done!

Great non-park day! We truly love non-park days. There really is so much to see and do in Disney without stepping foot in a park. I'm glad your kiddos got some more swim time.

We love 'Ohanas. It's one of our favorites! We don't eat there every trip just because it's so dang expensive. The bread pudding is amazing. If I'm not mistaken, you can actually order the bread pudding from the little bar that is just outside the restaurant (the name is escaping me at the moment). I'm glad you had a great dining experience!

Glad you made it to bed early! It was about 12:15 for me and then Will called for me about 12:40...ugh. He's going through some sleep regression. Good luck on getting all your work done!

Ugh indeed... Thank you!

Great non-park day! We truly love non-park days. There really is so much to see and do in Disney without stepping foot in a park. I'm glad your kiddos got some more swim time.

We love 'Ohanas. It's one of our favorites! We don't eat there every trip just because it's so dang expensive. The bread pudding is amazing. If I'm not mistaken, you can actually order the bread pudding from the little bar that is just outside the restaurant (the name is escaping me at the moment). I'm glad you had a great dining experience!

It really is expensive, to the point where I can't justify doing it every trip. Thank you so much for the tip about getting the bread pudding, as that's pretty much what I'd be going for anyway! That tip may end up being dangerous lol

Day 11 – June 16: Magic Kingdom, Part 1

We started this day off in our absolute favorite way to start any day – by taking in the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show.

20160616_074435.jpg

Pitiful side note: Cora just recently told me that sometimes when she’s sitting in the car on the way to school in the mornings, she gets sad thinking about the Welcome Show going on that day that she’s unable to see.

We weren’t trying to rush to any rides on this morning, so we took our time heading down Main Street and stopped to have our picture taken. The kids were dressed in their Alice and Mad Hatter costumes, which got a lot of reactions from cast members. I don’t think they see Hatters very often.

MK_MSGAZETT_7717831707.jpeg

MK_MSGAZETT_7717831710.jpeg

MK_MSGAZETT_7717831711.jpeg

We decided to head over into Tomorrowland to hit one of our favorites that we hadn’t made it to yet, but happened upon another photopass CM along the way and stopped for more pictures. Have to take advantage of that Memory Maker, right?

MK_TOMBRDG1_7717836686.jpeg

Sipping tea
MK_TOMBRDG1_7717836691.jpeg

Being curious (more like thoughtful?)
MK_TOMBRDG1_7717836689.jpeg

Finally we made it over to the ride. It turned out to be fine that we'd taken our time, as they hadn’t even gotten the queue opened up yet when we got there, but were ready to go shortly after we arrived.

MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_7717832110.jpeg

MK_BUZZLIGHTYEARRIDE_7717833639.jpeg

I love how intense Cora is. I do a little bit better here on Buzz than I do on Toy Story Mania, but not by much. My favorite part of the ride is just making the car spin over and over again during the tunnel part of the ride. Whee!

Next, because the kids were Alice and the Mad Hatter, we of course had to ride the Teacups.

20160616_080903.jpg

On our last trip the kids made me ride this 3 times in a row at a time when there was pretty much no line so the rides were back to back to back. I have never felt sicker and they have never laughed harder. This time I told them only one ride!

After the Teacups, we moved over to Alice’s spot to wait for her to begin her meets for the day. We weren’t the first ones there, but we were pretty close to it. When Alice came out, she immediately walked straight over to Cora and Alex, took them by the hands, and asked them if they’d like to go for a spin on the Teacups. The kids were thrilled and we parents were in a bit of shock. I knew that Alice sometimes rode with guests but this still floored me. The kids were sooo happy. Alice had a photopass photographer with her that took pictures of the whole thing, while I also snapped away with my cell phone, so a picture overload is coming (not even a fraction of the total number of shots I have lol).

20160616_082244.jpg

20160616_082249.jpg

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717836928.jpeg

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717840354.jpeg

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717840355.jpeg

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717840356.jpeg

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717838057.jpeg

After the ride was over, Alice walked back to her spot with Cora and Alex and still went ahead and did a regular meet with them – talked some more, signed autographs, and posed for more pictures. I imagine everyone waiting hated us, but it was truly a magical moment for our family.

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717840359.jpeg

20160616_082927.jpg

Next we headed over to the nearby restrooms so the kids could change, as we knew it would be heating up quickly. Alex was NOT happy about taking off his costume. While we were hanging out, I noticed this little guy on the planter.

20160616_083723.jpg

Freshly changed, we stopped by Cinderella’s well to make a couple of wishes before heading off to what else – more character meets!

20160616_084330.jpg

20160616_084217.jpg

To be continued…

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717838057.jpeg

After the ride was over, Alice walked back to her spot with Cora and Alex and still went ahead and did a regular meet with them – talked some more, signed autographs, and posed for more pictures. I imagine everyone waiting hated us, but it was truly a magical moment for our family.

MK_TEACUPCHAR_7717840359.jpeg

THIS IS INCREDIBLE!! WOW!! :cloud9:

What an amazing start to the day for the kids. That's a little sprinkling of pixie dust for sure. The kids looked absolutely adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter