2013 Hilton Head lovers thread

61 days! Got the countdown app on my phone :)

Looking forward to seeing the newly renovated rooms. Wondering if there are any new activities this year. Maybe someone who has been recently could post a copy...

Visiting HHI for the first time next week (June 10th-17th). Have two boys from San Diego who are used to swimming 2-3 times/week at the pool or beach, age 9 and 11. The kids didn't find any amazing videos about HHI on youtube...they're worried they'll spend all their time staring at the marsh.. In any case, I have planned deep sea fishing excursion, kayaking, crab hunting, island boat/nature tour, horseback riding, tubing, beach shell combing, and visits to the lighthouse and discovery museum...I'm also thinking about golf lessons. And, I'm sure there are lots of resort kids activities... Just wondering what else would be good memorable experiences specific to HHI at their ages? Also, it doesn't seem that HHI posts their weekly activity schedule anywhere online....at least that I can find. There are some older schedules other have scanned in but nothing recent/official?
I meant to bring the activity guide from last week home so I could scan it, but now I can't find it! Maybe it got lost in the vacation black hole along with my iPad charger! Anyway, I'm sure your boys will have a great time. My 10yo son loved playing corn hole, biking (we rented bikes from an off-site place, very convenient!), playing with other boys in the pool, fishing off the pier, playing foosball and ping-pong, swinging in the hammocks, etc. There is a BBQ/Pirate party most Tuesday nights. You do not have to pay for the meal to participate in the games and activities. They have lots of silly games that kids seem to love and then a dance party on the pool deck. The CM's are great, they love to interact with the kids. My kids also like the campfire, held several nights a week. The CM's lead several silly songs then give out marshmallows to make s'mores. They have pool games in the afternoon several days a week. Several mornings they have "Naturalist" walks where you learn about the ecology of the Marsh and tidal areas, actually very interesting. The topography is very different from what they are used to in SoCal, I'm sure. My kids also consider a round of Adventure Golf a necessity. They have two pirate themed courses that are really cute. We do that one morning before it gets too hot and busy. I will keep looking for my guides and post them I can find them!

What can we rent directly from the resort? Trying to decide where to rent kayaks and paddle boards.

What can we rent directly from the resort? Trying to decide where to rent kayaks and paddle boards.

You can rent bikes from the resort.
Kayaks are available, but you must sign up for the kayak tour (or whatever they call it). They are not available to rent out.

You can rent bikes from the resort. Kayaks are available, but you must sign up for the kayak tour (or whatever they call it). They are not available to rent out.

bike rentals from the resort are $30 a week for DVC members. Since we had 7 rentals, we saved quite a bit going with an outside company. They delivered and picked up right at the resort which was really nice. We saw people on paddle boards but I don't know where they got them.

We did the Kayak tour 2 years ago and plan on doing it again this year. The Kayak and paddle boarding are done by the same company. If you have a large group they will even do just your group which they did for us.

We plan on taking are bikes down with us. How early to you think I should book for the kayak and paddle boards? We are going down in August.

We will be staying in a two bedroom at Disney HHI in October. We are very excited, this will be our first stay there.

Do all the buildings have exterior corridors or does the main lodge have interior corridors?

Will the ocean be warm in October?

We will be staying in a two bedroom at Disney HHI in October. We are very excited, this will be our first stay there.

Do all the buildings have exterior corridors or does the main lodge have interior corridors?

Will the ocean be warm in October?

The ocean is perfect in October..about 80 degrees when we were there last year.

We plan on taking are bikes down with us. How early to you think I should book for the kayak and paddle boards? We are going down in August.

You might reconsider the bike decision and rent from somewhere on the island as the bikes have particularly wide tires for riding on the beach. Unless that's not what you plan on doing.

We will be staying in a two bedroom at Disney HHI in October. We are very excited, this will be our first stay there. Do all the buildings have exterior corridors or does the main lodge have interior corridors? Will the ocean be warm in October?

October is a great time! Some places might have a bit more limited hours than the summer, but the crowds will be nonexistent. All corridors are exterior as far as I know.

Think of multi level camp cabins. That is what they remind me of. They are not ground floor you must walk up maybe 10 steps to get in.

Just a little note on bikes and bringing them from home. The rentals have wide tires and work well on the beach so it's probably worth renting them there.

Have heard many great things about HHI!:thumbsup2

Seems like a VERY RELAXING VACA and it would be nice to beat some of the summer crowds in May!:)

Nice that the units have been remodeled!!!:thumbsup2
Will keep following this thread and learning!:cool1::yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter