2016 Free Dining Watch

When are you trying to travel?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want to take my kids to the MNSSHP... good idea or waste of money... we would be going Sept 13th
We went in 2013. Definitely worth doing once. Personally, we ignored the candy. Did some of the special character signings (particularly Jack Sparrow, 7 Dwarfs) and were able to ride anything we wanted as much as we wanted as there were no lines because everybody was doing the characters. Plus it's fun to get dressed up and see all the cool costumes.

So I'm looking at either Nov 15-21 or sometime during the December dates. My BIL can't go until November and I can't get off to do post-Thanksgiving. Which of these two periods would you all suggest for lowest crowds and maximum fun?

We have done MNSSHP 4 times, it is one of the primary reasons we keep traveling during the fall. The feeling of being in the parks during a special time, with unique fireworks and parades and shows, it's amazing! And the ride lines are always so short, especially at the end of the night, it's like being the only ones in the park. It's a MUST do for us!
That's what I hear! Other than the first few party dates last year, I've always read very good things about it. I just don't know if I want to brave it alone with my son haha. I booked Pirates and Pals because I can always get a refund on it. I'm just going to wait until they finally (if they ever!) release the prices for this year.

I am surprised the crowds were like that. I've gone nearly every month except September, but the crowd calendars always show it to be one of the least crowded months. You want crazy... go in summer. :)
Honestly, 2 years ago, the last week of September felt more like March. The crowds are not as low as they used to be by far. That was our 8th September trip. We went thanksgiving week this past year and we all said that it didn't feel too much different than that last September trip honestly. To tell you the truth, I can't even tell much difference between an 7-8 crowd level and a 10. But that's just me I guess.

Depending on the age of your guests. If it's two adults and all children under 18 it should be covered as one reservation. I'm not sure if it's two separate reservations.
It will be 2 reservations, I did it last year. Had to put myself in one room and DH in the other then 2 kids in each because my DD and her BF couldn't arrive until 2 days after FD ended, and we wanted them to have it. So we had to do it that way so each of us could check in and get both rooms covered. I tried to link them as one reservation and was told no, they book them separate, then link them as one "travel party". She said it gives you a better chance of getting connecrting rooms, which we did get. I did prebook last year, because I was afraid if I did it the morning it released it would take so long to do the first room, I'd lose the second in the process. I quickly went in and modified the first room in under 2 minutes, then did the other no problem. Then call and have them link the two when the phones die down the next week.

We love MNSSHP- it was a last minute thing for us one trip back in 2008. We didn't have clue what it even was. It was so much fun- all the characters and activities. We also did the Halloween Party at DL once after doing the MNSSHP and it didn't even come close to comparing- although the fireworks were really good. We can't wait to go again!

I was just doing some historical research for October. Trying to see what kind of room only discounts were out. I stumbled across the Stay Play and dine discount for October in the past 2 years. This is good news for all of us October vacationers. We used this one year in February. Not as good as free dining but still a significant savings for a family of 3 adults. In case any one wants to know historically the room only rates are 15-30% for gp and 20-35% for pass holders and Florida residents.

So sorry I was reading the wrong dates---the stay play and dine was in December.

It will be 2 reservations, I did it last year. Had to put myself in one room and DH in the other then 2 kids in each because my DD and her BF couldn't arrive until 2 days after FD ended, and we wanted them to have it. So we had to do it that way so each of us could check in and get both rooms covered. I tried to link them as one reservation and was told no, they book them separate, then link them as one "travel party". She said it gives you a better chance of getting connecrting rooms, which we did get. I did prebook last year, because I was afraid if I did it the morning it released it would take so long to do the first room, I'd lose the second in the process. I quickly went in and modified the first room in under 2 minutes, then did the other no problem. Then call and have them link the two when the phones die down the next week.

Can somebody please explain to me what the 180+10 means? I mean I know that you can start booking ADRs at 180 days out but what's with the +10? Thanks!!

Thank you!

That's what I hear! Other than the first few party dates last year, I've always read very good things about it. I just don't know if I want to brave it alone with my son haha. I booked Pirates and Pals because I can always get a refund on it. I'm just going to wait until they finally (if they ever!) release the prices for this year.

Obviously it depends on the child, but for the most part I think the party is so full of events and special characters, most kids find themselves awed into good behavior! We went last time with 5 adults and 6 kids, so we were outnumbered. The party was one of my biggest concerns because I was afraid they would all want to go in 15 different directions and we wouldn't be able to enjoy ourselves, but there was so much going on that kept their interest, we had none of that as an issue. Everybody enjoyed the show and fireworks, but the parade is just the most special, exciting thing! I just can't say enough about how amazing that parade is! :-)

Can somebody please explain to me what the 180+10 means? I mean I know that you can start booking ADRs at 180 days out but what's with the +10? Thanks!!
Anyone can make an ADR 180 days from today. But if you have a reservation onsite you can also make reservations today for up to 10 additional days - 181 days from now, 182, 183...etc. Without that onsite reservation you'd have to call again tomorrow for the next ADR, then again the next day...

Normally you can only book at the 180 day mark. Without a room reservation you have to go in everyday to make a reservation for the day 180 days in the future. With a room reservation on the 180 day out mark you can make a reservation for up to the next 10 days all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter