2016 Free Dining Watch

When are you trying to travel?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded a 5 day magic your way ticket to a Florid resident silver annual pass for $89.00. I got the silver because the black out dates are dates that I would never go to Disney anyway---too hot and too crowded. It gave me the ability to attend the Flower and Garden festival and the Food and Wine plus all of Halloween and a few weeks before Christmas if I want to see decorations. In fact we used the tickets to see the Osbourne lights for the last time. I was shocked when she said $89.00 I figured at least $200.00. Needless to say before the pass expires we will have used 20 days of park hoppers, I think I got my moneys worth on that Disney deal.

When did you do this? Was it recent? Could you please give dates? Thanks.

Is anyone else hearing from TA's that they are going to follow the UK promotion, in regards to the values only having 1 meal, the moderates having QS, and the deluxe having the regular?

could that mean the end of free dining for September?
I wouldn't say that September is more crowded than the rest of the year, just busier than the 2s and 3s that was on the crowd calendars. I would say that the crowds were more a 5 to 6 last year. If they were to take FD away from Sept., the crowds will go back to 2s because people will just go when there is FD. A lot of school here is GA have fall break in Sept/Oct but there are more people that keep their kids out of school that go to wdw in sept, I'm sure for the report of low crowds and FD.

Is anyone else hearing from TA's that they are going to follow the UK promotion, in regards to the values only having 1 meal, the moderates having QS, and the deluxe having the regular?

It is my understanding that the UK promotion is for 2017, not this coming fall of 2016. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong ;)

I've noticed that many of the moderate resorts that were included in free dining last year are getting booked up during the week that I am looking. There seems to be plenty of availability at the moderates that weren't included in free dining last year. I'm holding out until the announcement, but I'd think that Disney would do something to discourage people that have already booked without the discount from getting in on the discount at a later time. I'm thinking that they should do something like a change fee like airlines do when you change a flight. Hopefully, Disney would also stop people from getting free dining on an existing reservation if their room type that they originally booked is completely sold out.
good point and I agree!!

FD is used to fill the resorts not necessarily to fill the parks or have the parks at a certain crowd level. I am not for sure if the crowd levels really play that big of a part in FD promotions.

It is my understanding that the UK promotion is for 2017, not this coming fall of 2016. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong ;)

I was told tonight from a friend, that her TA told her to switch some of her plans to fit how the UK has theirs done, and it scared me a bit:sad1:
I guess we will see!

All this bitterness regarding people booking their rooms before Free Dining is released. Such wasted energy towards being negative when it could be used for something much better.

I'm pretty sure Disney bases their promotions on more data than just what is booked currently. They probably use last year's numbers and maybe even years before that. The way they offer their promotions, what they promote, and what other people do is beyond anyone's control, so why worry and complain about it? You do you and let them do them. Easy, right?

Last edited:
For those who are going anyway--WHY?? are you following this board????

I want Free Dining and I will not Book ahead of time expecting to add it on later, For those who do book ahead, there is NO guarantee that you will get any discounts if you book early.
It will only lesson the chance for Disney to have rooms or resorts available because they are all booked up and there is no need to offer them.

I don't understand your question. I booked already because we are going regardless. I wanted to make sure we got our room on the specific dates we want as it is a birthday celebration and a week or so later all rooms of that category at the resort we want were gone so it was a good thing I did. I have already added the dining plan and I am watching this board because my hope is that if they offer free dining that I can switch it to deluxe dining without spending more money. Why does my decision to watch this board bother you? Of course those of us that are going anyway would be interested in any offered discounts!

This is what I received in my email today. It is from Disney Tourist Blog by Tom Bricker. The highlighted and underlined part towards the bottom is why I posted it, but figured those who do not get the newsletters would like to read what other rumors and news goes about.

News & Rumors

In a flurry of updates yesterday, Walt Disney World released new tidbits of information about its slate of Summer 2016 offerings.

First, the bad news. We reported previously that Rivers of Light had been delayed, but the delay appears longer than previously expected, as Disney didn't provide any updates on the show's status. At this point, it seems as if the show may slip late into the summer season, or beyond.

Now, the good. An interim show based on The Jungle Book was announced in the place of Rivers of Light. There were concerns that without Rivers of Light, all of Animal Kingdom's planned nighttime entertainment would be nixed, and the park would stick with earlier closing hours. Fortunately, that is not the case--guests will most definitely be able to enjoy late nights at Animal Kingdom.

There's more good news. Soarin' Around the World and Frozen Ever After are both debuting at Epcot in June, along with new Star Wars fireworks, and a stage show at Magic Kingdom. You can find all of the details about these new offerings (and other additions) in our What's New for Summer 2016 at Walt Disney World post.

Beyond the summer, things are mostly rumor. We know that Toy Story Land construction has started, but aside from that, there's a lot of speculation. Some of the rumors currently floating around are being discussed on the Disney Tourist Blog Forums.

*****For you bargain hunters out there, info has started to leak that Free Dining will be announced on Monday for Fall 2016 travel dates. The list of rumored and blockout dates are in our Dates for Free Dining at Walt Disney World post.

At this point, the info is still rumor. Should we receive confirmation of the Free Dining offer for Monday, we'll shoot you a quick email on Sunday night! ******

Not sure if it means the end of free dining for September but things are definitely changing and not in favor of guests. We've seen the percentage of room discounts decline. Promotional dates are declining...just look at the BB offer for this year compared to previous years. Prices for rooms, tix and food are steadily increasing yet bookings appear to be at an all time high. With this trend continuing, I think we'll see less discounts from Disney because honestly there really is no need to offer discounts when rooms are filled and parks are crowded. I know I have witnessed this first hand these last few years.

I don't understand your question. I booked already because we are going regardless. I wanted to make sure we got our room on the specific dates we want as it is a birthday celebration and a week or so later all rooms of that category at the resort we want were gone so it was a good thing I did. I have already added the dining plan and I am watching this board because my hope is that if they offer free dining that I can switch it to deluxe dining without spending more money. Why does my decision to watch this board bother you? Of course those of us that are going anyway would be interested in any offered discounts!

You are 100% correct. If you know that you are going irregardless of a discount of any sort or not than it makes sense to book to be sure you get the resort you want. Just because you are booked doesn't mean you should not be interested in down sort of discount if offered and this is the place to find out what the latest chatter is regarding this.

As for the deluxe dining plan, a friend had that a couple of years ago and said it was real hard to have all the meals and snacks on that plan.

I am bowing out of the Free Dining wait. Booked our trip through a TA
11/12-11/19, All Star Sports, 8 Day Park Hoppers, QS Dining. Does not look like our check in date is going to fall within the FD dates, and this rate was too good to wait on. afraid when FD drops it might no longer be available.

Good luck everyone, I will be watching from the sidelines. FREE DINING for everyone!

This is what I received in my email today. It is from Disney Tourist Blog by Tom Bricker. The highlighted and underlined part towards the bottom is why I posted it, but figured those who do not get the newsletters would like to read what other rumors and news goes about.

News & Rumors

In a flurry of updates yesterday, Walt Disney World released new tidbits of information about its slate of Summer 2016 offerings.

First, the bad news. We reported previously that Rivers of Light had been delayed, but the delay appears longer than previously expected, as Disney didn't provide any updates on the show's status. At this point, it seems as if the show may slip late into the summer season, or beyond.

Now, the good. An interim show based on The Jungle Book was announced in the place of Rivers of Light. There were concerns that without Rivers of Light, all of Animal Kingdom's planned nighttime entertainment would be nixed, and the park would stick with earlier closing hours. Fortunately, that is not the case--guests will most definitely be able to enjoy late nights at Animal Kingdom.

There's more good news. Soarin' Around the World and Frozen Ever After are both debuting at Epcot in June, along with new Star Wars fireworks, and a stage show at Magic Kingdom. You can find all of the details about these new offerings (and other additions) in our What's New for Summer 2016 at Walt Disney World post.

Beyond the summer, things are mostly rumor. We know that Toy Story Land construction has started, but aside from that, there's a lot of speculation. Some of the rumors currently floating around are being discussed on the Disney Tourist Blog Forums.

*****For you bargain hunters out there, info has started to leak that Free Dining will be announced on Monday for Fall 2016 travel dates. The list of rumored and blockout dates are in our Dates for Free Dining at Walt Disney World post.

At this point, the info is still rumor. Should we receive confirmation of the Free Dining offer for Monday, we'll shoot you a quick email on Sunday night! ******
I am sure you will share if you get that email on Sunday, so thanks in advance!!

All this bitterness regarding people booking their rooms before Free Dining is released. Such wasted energy towards being negative when it could be used for something much better.

I'm pretty sure Disney bases their promotions on more data than just what is booked currently. They probably use last year's numbers and maybe even years before that. The way they offer their promotions, what they promote, and what other people do is beyond anyone's control, so why worry and complain about it? You do you and let them do them. Easy, right?

Nobody is opposed to people booking their rooms before free dining is released if the people doing the booking intend to pay full price for their room. What we don't like is people booking a room that they never intend to use if they can't get free dining or some other discount. Let's just take it to the extreme and say that I have enough money to book every room at the resort that you want to stay during the week you want to stay and then cancel every room except the one I need 31 days before the trip. Wouldn't you be a little upset about the situation? In a way this is what's happening except instead of just one person, a lot of people are booking rooms that they never intend to use if their discount doesn't come along.

Nobody is opposed to people booking their rooms before free dining is released if the people doing the booking intend to pay full price for their room. What we don't like is people booking a room that they never intend to use if they can't get free dining or some other discount. Let's just take it to the extreme and say that I have enough money to book every room at the resort that you want to stay during the week you want to stay and then cancel every room except the one I need 31 days before the trip. Wouldn't you be a little upset about the situation? In a way this is what's happening except instead of just one person, a lot of people are booking rooms that they never intend to use if their discount doesn't come along.

But the majority of the people here booking their rooms are flat out saying "I'm going regardless, but free dining would be great." So it sounds to me like you're super bitter and upset over something that's pretty irrelevant.

Actually several people have said that people shouldn't book rooms before the promo comes out. And I get why they are saying that. But I've been reading since page 80 or so and I haven't seen anybody saying they are booking rooms they don't intend to use. What people have said is that they are booking the room they want, and worst case scenario they will switch if they have to. i.e., they intend to use the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter