2017 Holidays at Disney World: What's New & What's Returning

Does anyone know if the holiday storytellers in Epcot ever start earlier than announced? Kick-off for the holiday festival is Nov 19th, but we fly out that day. We will be at Epcot on the 18th and hoping that maybe they might start early?

Does anyone know if the holiday storytellers in Epcot ever start earlier than announced? Kick-off for the holiday festival is Nov 19th, but we fly out that day. We will be at Epcot on the 18th and hoping that maybe they might start early?

I wouldn't expect them to start before the 19th since the 19th is the start date for the festival.

We drove past the Holiday Workshop on our way to MNSSHP on 10/17 and they have started getting the park trees ready for assembly. I recognised parts of AK and MK on trucks. Since the last Halloween party is 11/1 and the first Christmas party is 11/9 I’m thinking they’ll start the trees that week.
It’s fun to see the prep work!

Does anyone know when things end? Will Jingle Cruise still be "up" the first few days of January? Do the Epcot storytellers keep going into January at all?

I think the parades stop on Dec. 31st but wasn't sure when everything else reverts back to normal.

The frozen holiday wish...is that every night? Or only party nights? Generally what time is that if its every night?
Only on party nights. On non-party nights they'll do HEA. But from Dec 23 on, when there is no MVMCP, they should do Holiday Wish every night.

Only on party nights. On non-party nights they'll do HEA. But from Dec 23 on, when there is no MVMCP, they should do Holiday Wish every night.
Frozen Holiday Wish is nightly beginning November 9th. It is the Castle Lighting Show - twice per evening on Party nights. The first showing is for all regular guests and the 2nd showing is during Party hours.

Holiday Wishes is the fireworks show that’s presented during every MVMCP.

Frozen Holiday Wish is nightly beginning November 9th. It is the Castle Lighting Show - twice per evening on Party nights. The first showing is for all regular guests and the 2nd showing is during Party hours.

Oops, you’re right! I never noticed they were inquiring about the Frozen Holiday Wish and just thought of Holiday Wishes in my reply. Thanks for the quick correction!

Which would be the better night to see them if not going to the MVMCP? Party night and catch the first one or a non party night? While we are there there are 2 party nights Thur/Fri and Sat is the last night we are there.

Which would be the better night to see them if not going to the MVMCP? Party night and catch the first one or a non party night? While we are there there are 2 party nights Thur/Fri and Sat is the last night we are there.
On a Party night, regular and Party guests, who aren’t in line waiting for characters, will be watching the 1st show.

On Saturday, MK will be quite crowded.

It’s probably best to choose the MK day that best fits into your scheduling as watching the Castle Lighting will have big crowds on all 3 days. Even if you aren’t very close to the Castle stage, watching the Castle light up is amazing!

Your Must Do’s, Worth Checking Out, and What to Skip

Must-Do’s

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party

Admittedly, I’ve never been. We always travel during Christmas week, after the party has concluded at Disney’s Magic Kingdom. It’s on our Disney “bucket list” though, and is considered a must-do by guests during the holiday season.

This separately ticketed event is not cheap! Attending the party will set guests back $89-$109, depending on what date you go. A ticket to the event is less expensive or on par, however, with the cost of a one-day park ticket at Magic Kingdom. Event ticket holders may enter the park as early as 4pm, and the party begins at 7pm. Depending on your length of stay, you can easily supplement the cost with one less park day.

The event provides guests with unique experiences, character meet-and-greets, and entertainment. Another added perk is the ability to get on popular rides and attractions at a significantly lower wait time. While the popular Wishes fireworks show is now defunct, the holiday version will remain during the parties—an added incentive for all the Wishes fanatics who miss the show or guests who never had the opportunity to see it.

All in all, I’m always in favor of doing things I can’t do anytime or anyplace else. The party is a unique event with special entertainment and character meets that you can’t attend or experience any other time of the year. It’s worth spending the extra money to attend.

Tour the Signature Resorts

One of our favorite things to do is tour the Signature Resorts and check out the decorations. The Signature Resorts celebrate Christmas in a big way, literally: many of the resorts feature towering trees, each decorated to the nines. I’ll cover my “power rankings” of resort decorations at a later time, but do schedule some time for resort hopping. It’s a nice break from the parks and the crowds during Christmas week.

The Candlelight Processional

The Candlelight Processional is one of the most popular events during the holidays. Held at the America Gardens Theatre in Epcot, the Processional sees three shows nightly (at 5:00pm, 6:45pm, and 8:15pm) from the Friday after Thanksgiving through December 30th.

Celebrity narrators, accompanied by a 50-piece orchestra and mass choir, tell the biblical tale of Christmas. It’s a solemn, yet joyful event that has taken on a life of its own at Disney. Because of its mass popularity, seating for the event has become incredibly difficult to secure. The only way to ensure a seat (and a solid view) for the event is to book the Candlelight Processional Dining Package. The Candlelight Processional Dining Package includes an appetizer, entree and dessert at select Table Service restaurants, as well as guaranteed preferred seating for the show. The package is available for both lunch and dinner, and counts as a 2-credit Table Service meal on the Disney Dining Plan.

Extra Magic Hours

This applies moreso to Christmas week at Walt Disney World. Early and mid-December is far-less crowded than Christmas week, making it a great time to visit. For those that visit Disney World during the holiday season, however, Extra Magic Hours are a must-do.

Disney will add a morning Extra Magic hour most days. We always do Magic Kingdom on Christmas Day and get there for Rope Drop at 7am. From 7am-8am, we’re able to go on Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear and Pirates, as well as grab a few family photos by Cinderella Castle.

On December 30th, Disney usually does a “dress rehearsal” for the New Year’s Eve show. It’s followed by late-night Extra Magic Hours (usually 12am-2am or 1am-3am). Late-night Extra Magic Hours are great for older families or those from the west coast. Most guests make a mass exodus following the fireworks at 12am. We’ll usually save the family friendly rides, like Pooh, Peter Pan and Small World for the later Extra Magic Hours, when most families have left the park.

Get Photos Around the Park and with Characters

I can’t recommend the PhotoPass enough. During the holiday season, select PhotoPass locations will offer cool props and frames to hold, as well as holiday-specific Magic Shots. Also be sure to get plenty of photos of the parks and resorts. Anyone can have photos from Disney, but Christmas (and the other holidays) are such a unique time that you’ll want to remember!

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party isn’t the only time you’ll see characters decked in their holiday garb. Santa will be visiting Disney for photos with guests through December 24th. Santa can be found at Disney Springs (near the World of Disney), EPCOT’s American Adventure Pavilion, Hollywood Studio’s Once Upon a Time shop, and in Magic Kingdom’s Town Square Courtyard. Santa Goofy will take over at select locations from December 25th through December 31st.

Many characters can be found in their holiday best. Animal Kingdom is the park with the most characters dressed for the holidays. Mickey and Minnie, Donald, Chip and Dale, Goofy and Pluto, Baloo and King Louie, and Pocahontas all have special costumes for the holidays.

From November 7 to January 6, there is a holiday themed character dinner at Hollywood & Vine. Here you will find Minnie, Mickey, Donald, and Daisy in holiday outfits you won’t find elsewhere, along with Santa Goofy.

EPCOT features many holiday storytellers in and around the World Showcase. In past years, Belle has worn a special red dress at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall during the week of Christmas. She has also worn the same dress to meet guests at her usual spot in France.

Santa meets at every resort on Christmas Eve. Most Disney resorts will have characters on hand during the week leading up to Christmas. Be sure to grab an entertainment schedule for more information.

Jingle Cruise

The beloved Jungle Cruise gets a holiday makeover with tons of kitschy decorations and pun-filled holiday jokes. Since 2013, Jungle Cruise has been re-themed for the holidays, getting a new storyline, new decor, and even a few new jokes. I feel like most people go on Jungle Cruise, given its popularity and cult following. I consider this a must-do for anyone who hasn’t been during the holiday season. It’s still the same-old ride, but seeing it decorated for the holidays is something you can’t see any other time of the year.

New Shows and Offerings

We’ll be checking out the new show at Hollywood Studios, as well as the refreshed and renamed International Festival of the Holidays at EPCOT. Having been to Disney for Christmas so many times, we’re always looking to change things up and see new and exciting offerings. It keeps the trip fresh.

Worth Checking Out

A new friend joins the cast of ‘For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration’

This is always a must-do for us. Sure, “Let it Go” will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day, but this may be one of the better shows at Disney. The musical is hosted by two “royal historians,” who retell Anna and Elsa’s story through jokes and sing-alongs. The show pokes fun at Frozen’s success and its catchy songs, making it perfect for adults who are “Frozen’d out”. During the holiday season, the show will add songs from the new animated short, “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure.” I wouldn’t make this a “must-do,” but it’s certainly worth checking out.

International Festival of the Holidays

I wouldn’t consider this festival a must-do. When Disney first introduced Holidays Around the World, I think many people expected a festival on the level of Food & Wine or Flower & Garden. In Disney’s defense, EPCOT cannot support a large-scale festival during the holidays. It’s simply too crowded. Instead, Disney has added some food booths and cultural offerings throughout existing kiosks throughout the World Showcase. Along with the food and drink offerings, EPCOT will also feature storytellers at each of the World Showcase pavilions, who will tell of the respective country and culture’s holiday. It’s a fun learning experience, but can be pretty boring for kids (...and adults). So long as you go with the right expectations, then you’ll enjoy it.

Disney Springs

Disney Springs has finally complete its transformation from Downtown Disney. With new stores and even more new restaurants, (most) memories of Pleasure Island and the old Downtown Disney are now long gone.

Disney Springs has taken on a bit of an “outdoor mall” feel. Disney’s intent, I believe, was to drive revenue from locals who don’t spend all their time at the parks. Locals and guests can now spend a day shopping at one of the many designer stores, or a night out bowling or eating at a new restaurant or bar.

Downtown Disney had always decorated for the holidays, but Disney Springs simply does it better. Guests can visit Santa through December 24th, then Santa Goofy December 25th through December 31st. Many store windows will be decked and adorned with holiday decorations, and be sure to stop by the Ghiradelli store, which will be handing out Peppermint Bark samples to shoppers. Disney Springs also introduced the Christmas Tree Trail last year, but I’ll get into that soon.

Holiday Illuminations

At EPCOT, Illuminations will feature a special “Peace on Earth” finale during the holiday season. It’s the same Illuminations, but with a different ending. It’s definitely something different, but i wouldn’t make it a “must-do.” If you have time for Illuminations, it’s worth checking out.

Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM

I was very excited about seeing Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM last year. I will caveat my review by saying that it rained heavily during the how. Literally the only night it rained was the one we designated for the dessert party and new show. It’s a fun show, but not exactly what we expected. The projections are nice, but there’s not enough fireworks and it lacks a good storyline. If you’re in Hollywood Studios, stop by and see it, but don’t build your evening around it.

A Frozen Holiday Wish

Following Frozen’s unexpected(?) popularity, Disney scrambled to work its characters into the parks. It was an easy transition at Magic Kingdom, where Cinderella Castle is adorned with icicle-style lighting throughout the holiday season. A few years ago, Disney introduced a castle lighting show in which Elsa “froze” the castle. It’s a nice little storyline and slightly reminiscent of “flipping the switch” at the now defunct Osbourne Lights in Hollywood Studios. We missed it the first year and didn’t feel overwhelmingly bad about it. We managed to catch it the following year. It’s cute and worth seeing if you’re in Magic Kingdom, but don’t go out of your way for it.

Carriage Rides at Fort Wilderness

Each year, dozens of campers head to Fort Wilderness for the holiday season. Many campers decorate their campsite, going as simple as adding some lights to their RV, or as complex as filling their lot with tons of character inflatables and figurines. I remember one year a camper even built a working mini Christmas-themed monorail, which buzzed around the RV. Disney offers holiday “sleigh” rides in and around the campsites. The 25-minute horse-drawn carriage ride fits 4 adults, or 2 adults and 3 small children, and costs $84. It’s a really nice way to enjoy the decorations and get off your feet for a little while. Reservations can be made by calling (407) WDW-PLAY or (407) 939-7529.

Skip It

Dessert Parties

Last year we did our first dessert party for Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam. Overall, Disney did a good job. It happened to rain (of course), so the dessert party was held inside the Disney Junior building. It was an okay party. The food was readily available and easily accessible, the bartenders were generous, and the food was decent, but it was a strange selection. My sister and I joked that it felt like a bad cocktail hour. I will say that the Happily Ever After and Illuminations dessert party tend to receive better reviews. I think the strange holiday offerings really downgraded the experience for us.

Because it’s so crowded at Disney during the holiday season, many people feel that the only way to secure a good view for the fireworks or show is to book a dessert party. A dessert party certainly gets you a solid view away from the crowds, however, it’s not the only way. We usually stake out a spot between an hour and an hour-and-a-half before the show. We’ll usually find a table in the UK Pavilion for Illuminations, then send a “runner” or two to grab food and take turns going to the bathroom. Magic Kingdom tends to be a bit more difficult, as there’s nowhere to really sit on Main Street—and guests will jump in front of you right before the show starts, anyway. It’s best to secure a spot here around 45-60 minutes before Happily Ever After—earlier if you want to view it from the Castle Hub.

I’m not saying to skip a dessert party. If you want to go to a dessert party, then go, but don’t book a dessert party just because you believe it’ll get you a better view of the show.

The Christmas Tree Trail

Last year Disney introduced a Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs. On paper, it sounded really interesting: a trail of Christmas trees, each distinctly decorated based on your favorite Disney characters and movies.

The trail felt like an afterthought. It was tucked away near the bus drop off by Wolfgang Puck Express and felt more like an old popup Christmas Tree lot than anything Disney would put together. In Disney’s defense, this was a late addition to the holiday offerings and I’d like to give Disney one more year before deeming this a “fail”.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to see the Christmas Tree Trail—you’d be disappointed. If you happen to find yourself in Disney Springs, then feel free to check it out, but for now I’d consider it a “skip”.

Question about Epcot and all the "Festival of Holidays" shows....will many of those Festival of Holidays performances run through evening EMHs? For instance, 12/17 EMH is 9:30-11:30 pm. Is there a good chance they will still be performing past their latest posted times now (between 4 and 7:30 pm, from what I can tell)?

Is anyone doing the Yuletide Tour? I've done a look up and all the previous threads seem to be from 2012 or earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter