• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$207 Base for VGF2. Great incentives!

I have considered it in the past but it would require holding for a bit because the extra closing costs and commission would have negated the savings.

I don’t know how it would work with VGF with current prices so you’d have to run the numbers.

Lot of work to do it immediately.

I’m still waiting for a BWV contract come back from ROFR so I’m just preparing myself if I don’t get it. I would only buy 200/300 VGF2 and split up into 2/3 with all cash. It wouldn’t make sense if financing. Rent some points out and sell one 50/75 point in a few years. Small contract is still attractive for people looking to add on or new members who don’t want to buy 150 or whatever minimum at the moment.

I’m still waiting for a BWV contract come back from ROFR so I’m just preparing myself if I don’t get it. I would only buy 200/300 VGF2 and split up into 2/3 with all cash. It wouldn’t make sense if financing. Rent some points out and sell one 50/75 point in a few years. Small contract is still attractive for people looking to add on or new members who don’t want to buy 150 or whatever minimum at the moment.

That could very well work with holding for a few years!

Especially since we know this will go back up once sold out again..which could take a few years so the timing could work!

There's nothing inherently wrong with the plan, but I'd just keep in mind these are pretty tight margins. I unintentionally ended up doing something similar with some resale points (just a quirk of timing and wanting to switch up contracts) and even with some points rented and the recent contract price inflation (125% of what I paid) the net cash in/put was kind of a wash. An 8-10% sale commission is really going to be a hurdle here but if you're good about renting early at a max price, you still might come out ahead.

I've seen a lot of resale contracts hit the market when a new resort opens. They're typically stripped of points but are priced much lower than the direct contracts.

I don't think we will see that happening any time soon with VGF2 contracts. First of all, they have no 2021 points, which makes them less valuable to strip. And secondly, the VGF2 contract would have to be priced the same as VGF1 contracts already on the market unlike a contract at a new resort where the seller only has to price their small contract below the base price of the new resort.
We’ll still have to see how small VGF contract resale prices react. My guide is running the closing costs for me for splitting the contract. If I rent some points out for the next few years that would bring down the cost even lower than $179(300 pt incentive). A direct 50/75 VGF2 costs $207 now and more once it’s sold out.

We’ll still have to see how small VGF contract resale prices react. My guide is running the closing costs for me for splitting the contract. If I rent some points out for the next few years that would bring down the cost even lower than $179(300 pt incentive). A direct 50/75 VGF2 costs $207 now and more once it’s sold out.
Don't forget to factor in dues for the years that you rent your points, taxes on the rental income, capital gains taxes and commission on the sale of the contract. And you would be selling a contract with points which are restricted to the O14.

A buyer is going to look at the cost of getting a fully loaded direct contract with full usage of their points at any resort, prorated dues for the first UY of ownership and immediate access to their points. The delta once all of those factors are taken into account will have to be large enough to make it worthwhile for the buyer.

The numbers might still work in your favor for a small margin of profit but there are a lot of moving parts (recession?) that could blow up your plans.

Don't forget to factor in dues for the years that you rent your points, taxes on the rental income, capital gains taxes and commission on the sale of the contract. And you would be selling a contract with points which are restricted to the O14.

A buyer is going to look at the cost of getting a fully loaded direct contract with full usage of their points at any resort, prorated dues for the first UY of ownership and immediate access to their points. The delta once all of those factors are taken into account will have to be large enough to make it worthwhile for the buyer.

The numbers might still work in your favor for a small margin of profit but there are a lot of moving parts (recession?) that could blow up your plans.
I’m not really looking for a profit but looking to just have a 50 point contract pays itself at the end.

I’m not really looking for a profit but looking to just have a 50 point contract pays itself at the end.
You would still need to take all of those factors into consideration even if your goal is to break even in the end.

Does anyone buy a 300 point contract, split into 150/150, 150/75/75 or 150/100/50 just to get the incentives then sell the smaller ones?
Sounds good in theory but you have to actually have the discipline to sell! Don't get too used to having the extra points before it's time to sell or you'll just keep it for yourself and it will end up costing A LOT more than just paying a little more now for fewer points.

Sounds good in theory but you have to actually have the discipline to sell! Don't get too used to having the extra points before it's time to sell or you'll just keep it for yourself and it will end up costing A LOT more than just paying a little more now for fewer points.
I’m actually really good at that. Because I know I’d use it if I don’t rent it fast.

I'm considering just adding on to our Riv contract with the current incentive since there aren't "bonus"/prorated dues points available when buying VGF2.

What use year would give me the most "bonus" points for the least amount?

I'm considering just adding on to our Riv contract with the current incentive since there aren't "bonus"/prorated dues points available when buying VGF2.

What use year would give me the most "bonus" points for the least amount?

It's easiest to just remember that DVC sells contracts with current points. Except apparently VGF. :rolleyes:

So with that in mind any UY that has already started it's 2022 UY (Feb & March at this time) will receive 2022 points and forward because that's the current UY they are in. All other UY's are still in their 2021 UY and if purchased now should start with current 2021 points. For an April UY you need to purchase by March 31. For June UY by May 31 and so on. And then remember to bank the points before the UY ends.

DVC will want to sell you points in the UY you currently have unless you are insistent on a different one. And in that case they probably will require you to purchase a minimum of 150 pts.

My current use year is FEB. If I buy Riv, I should get an April use year to get '21 points. I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Thank you!

It's easiest to just remember that DVC sells contracts with current points. Except apparently VGF. :rolleyes:

So with that in mind any UY that has already started it's 2022 UY (Feb & March at this time) will receive 2022 points and forward because that's the current UY they are in. All other UY's are still in their 2021 UY and if purchased now should start with current 2021 points. For an April UY you need to purchase by March 31. For June UY by May 31 and so on. And then remember to bank the points before the UY ends.

DVC will want to sell you points in the UY you currently have unless you are insistent on a different one. And in that case they probably will require you to purchase a minimum of 150 pts.
Is there an explanation of why 2021 aren’t included for VGF, for buyers whose use year is still 2021 when the new villas should open (supposedly June?) The new villas can be booked for stays starting in June. My use year is December. Why is it that 2021 points aren’t being offered? Is it because the villas were not open when the use year began? Has DVC done this for direct sales of any other properties? I was all set to buy VGF2 points but the lack of 2021 points really makes the calculation different and wondering if I should buy RIV instead (but with higher maintenance fees and resale restrictions I am concerned), or something else??

My current use year is FEB. If I buy Riv, I should get an April use year to get '21 points. I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Thank you!

Just remember that a new UY is a new membership and you must buy 150 points.

It also means you can’t combine the points together for a single trip without transferring.

Is there an explanation of why 2021 aren’t included for VGF, for buyers whose use year is still 2021 when the new villas should open (supposedly June?) The new villas can be booked for stays starting in June. My use year is December. Why is it that 2021 points aren’t being offered? Is it because the villas were not open when the use year began? Has DVC done this for direct sales of any other properties? I was all set to buy VGF2 points but the lack of 2021 points really makes the calculation different and wondering if I should buy RIV instead (but with higher maintenance fees and resale restrictions I am concerned), or something else??

They did not give 2019 points for Feb UY when RIV opened in late 2019, but all others received them.

The explanation was that the building didn’t open until 2022 so therefore can’t give 2021 points.

But, the rooms are open during the 2021 UY for Aug to December UYs so it seems like they should have been given?

Maybe this is why the incentives are as good as they are?

I just asked my guide about this. I have a March use year. He told me they "frown upon" doing a new use year (frown all you want, if I'm spending $25k then that's up to me), but if I DID want to do a different use year, it would be 150 points minimum, just like a new membership. If you want to add on less than that you have to stick with your current use year (or go resale...)

Just remember that a new UY is a new membership and you must buy 150 points.

It also means you can’t combine the points together for a single trip without transferring.

My guide just called me and explained this. That is a huge consideration!

If that's the case, I'm more than likely going back to plan A and buy VGF2 (200 points).

No explanation and what they are doing with the later UY's is odd IMO.

What I'd say though is if VGF is really where you wanted to purchase then I'd still do it. Yes it's a different calculation but if you want to stay there it may be 40 years of worrying at 7 months about trading in. That wouldn't seem worth the loss of 1 years points unless you really are flexible and wouldn't be concerned if sometimes you couldn't stay there.

What I'd say though is if VGF is really where you wanted to purchase then I'd still do it. Yes it's a different calculation but if you want to stay there it may be 40 years of worrying at 7 months about trading in. That wouldn't seem worth the loss of 1 years points unless you really are flexible and wouldn't be concerned if sometimes you couldn't stay there.
I’m not tied to VGF. I have a resale contract now and would like to make a smaller direct purchase to be able to stay at Riviera a night or two per trip (split stay) sometimes but am really hesitant to buy RIV due to the resale restrictions and how booking may turn into a nightmare in the future when there are more and more RIV resale owners who can’t use their points anywhere else. I suppose I could buy a sold out resort direct but that just seems silly, and I also don’t want to buy AUL because I would never use it for home resort advantage at 11 months. Grrrr this was an easy decision for me until the 2021 points were not included for VGF and it sounds like there really isn’t a “reason” for it other than DVC keeping the points for their own financial benefit.

They did not give 2019 points for Feb UY when RIV opened in late 2019, but all others received them.

The explanation was that the building didn’t open until 2022 so therefore can’t give 2021 points.

But, the rooms are open during the 2021 UY for Aug to December UYs so it seems like they should have been given?

Maybe this is why the incentives are as good as they are?

I’ve been following along with all of the UY conversations, and I have to say that after reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions I’m a little irritated that we didn’t get 2021 points for VGF with our Dec. UY. At first I didn’t really care at all, I just wanted points there. Then so many people were upset and even changing their minds I thought about it more and asked here, and now as it continues to be discussed I really think we should have gotten them since the building will be open for a full half of our UY! However it’s their ballgame and my only options were take it or leave it, and I am still very glad that I took it, so I kind of wish I hadn’t given it more thought lol
I will say that my guide did let me know and discussed it with me, but I don’t really recall any real reason for it other than that’s the way it is. I will also say I hate a December UY and find it super confusing, since you almost never actually use your points in the calendar year that is your use year. If I could start again I would get whatever the first month of the year that’s available is- maybe February (I can’t remember which months are left out). I guess our travel is too varied for there to be a really good use year for us, and December is as good as most, but it’s still confusing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter