50's Prime Time Cafe...disappointment

I would never make a decision based on one review. In fact, I ignored all of the negative 50's reviews on a different thread and went on my recent trip based on my past experiences there over the last 11 years. Ultimately, it is up to oneself to decide based on whatever criteria is chosen.

All I did was give an honest report of my experience. I was under the impression that the point of a dining review is to do just that.

Take it or leave it.

Your choice.

I wish I had listened to the overwhelming negative reviews of both 50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine. I didn't pay attention to them, and I paid the price. My choice. My accountability. My right to share my experience.

Period.

I agree with this, a negative review is just as helpful as a positive review. The only thing I don't neccessarily agree with is saying that you got sick because of the food. There are many reasons you could have gotten sick and there is no way of telling 100% it was because of the food. It just as easily could have been a stomach bug that you and your family got, especially based on the fact that you got sick after eating at different restaurants. I would think if there was something wrong with the food which caused people to get sick, we would hear more about it from other people. With that being said, I do appreciate your honest reviews in all other aspects.

I agree with this, a negative review is just as helpful as a positive review. The only thing I don't neccessarily agree with is saying that you got sick because of the food. There are many reasons you could have gotten sick and there is no way of telling 100% it was because of the food. It just as easily could have been a stomach bug that you and your family got, especially based on the fact that you got sick after eating at different restaurants. I would think if there was something wrong with the food which caused people to get sick, we would hear more about it from other people. With that being said, I do appreciate your honest reviews in all other aspects.

You could be correct. It is very common to have a stomach virus for an hour and one half (many urgent bathroom trips) immediately after eating...be perfectly fine for two days and then get another stomach virus for 2 hours immediately after eating and be perfectly well for the remainder of a vacation. That is an interesting strain of stomach flu...just sayin'

I would never make a decision based on one review. In fact, I ignored all of the negative 50's reviews on a different thread and went on my recent trip based on my past experiences there over the last 11 years. Ultimately, it is up to oneself to decide based on whatever criteria is chosen.

All I did was give an honest report of my experience. I was under the impression that the point of a dining review is to do just that.

Take it or leave it.

Your choice.

I wish I had listened to the overwhelming negative reviews of both 50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine. I didn't pay attention to them, and I paid the price. My choice. My accountability. My right to share my experience.

Period.

I don't disagree with you...

Our visit in April was good and great food!

The entertainment aspect was definitely toned down significantly from our previous visit years prior. However with that said, our waitress as well as the hostess was still actively playing with us, especially whenever they saw our cell phones out.

Another train of thought.....
I see a lot of threads about the 50's pranks and also about Whispering Canyon pranks with people wanting to know how to "initiate" a fun time with their server and what to ask for at WCC (like ketchup, large drink etc).
I'm just wondering if the server would prefer to be more spontaneous on their own and not feel like "here comes another one expecting me to do tricks". KWIM?? It probably gets old to them when the diners seem to know what to expect as compared to diners who are totally surprised at the antics.

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience there!

We were there in July for lunch and the place was engaged at full throttle. Our "babysitter" was really into character, and so was the woman who was serving the table behind us. She was really, really over the top.

Our food was good too, except for the meatloaf on DH's sampler. He's never in his life said he hated something, but he said he hated that meatloaf, LOL!!

It sounds like it's a previous favorite, so maybe give it a break for awhile and try it again down the road.

Hope the rest of your vacation was great :):)

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience there!

We were there in July for lunch and the place was engaged at full throttle. Our "babysitter" was really into character, and so was the woman who was serving the table behind us. She was really, really over the top.

Our food was good too, except for the meatloaf on DH's sampler. He's never in his life said he hated something, but he said he hated that meatloaf, LOL!!

It sounds like it's a previous favorite, so maybe give it a break for awhile and try it again down the road.

Hope the rest of your vacation was great :):)

We will skip it next time, but I'm not totally ruling it out in the future. I guess 4 out of 5 excellent meals there is pretty great. Maybe my expectations were too high based on past visits.

We will skip it next time, but I'm not totally ruling it out in the future. I guess 4 out of 5 excellent meals there is pretty great. Maybe my expectations were too high based on past visits.

It's so hard when a previous favorite falls short.

For us, we were disappointed in 'Ohana this trip.

We LOVE 'Ohana...like, unreasonably love it.

Our experience there this year was so, so disappointing to the point that we will probably skip it next time.

It's no fun when the bad days happen when it's your own time for dinner, LOL!!

Guess we'll all just get to branch out next time :)

It's so hard when a previous favorite falls short.

For us, we were disappointed in 'Ohana this trip.

We LOVE 'Ohana...like, unreasonably love it.

Our experience there this year was so, so disappointing to the point that we will probably skip it next time.

It's no fun when the bad days happen when it's your own time for dinner, LOL!!

Guess we'll all just get to branch out next time :)

The same thing happened years ago when we had a lousy night at Chef Mickeys. DD really missed it this time, so maybe we will give it another try some day.

You could be correct. It is very common to have a stomach virus for an hour and one half (many urgent bathroom trips) immediately after eating...be perfectly fine for two days and then get another stomach virus for 2 hours immediately after eating and be perfectly well for the remainder of a vacation. That is an interesting strain of stomach flu...just sayin'

Food poisoning would stay with you much longer than 2 hours. Sounds more like you ate food that your system didn't approve of.

We never had 50s prime time and I wanted to try it.. Hopefully this was just an off day! I have a 2 year old and didn't know what the best time to go with her, meaning at this age or older..

I had my annual check-up today and mentioned my DD's and my stomach's reaction to the food at 50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine. (I had no other digestive issues at any other restaurants.)

He said that it very well could have been food poisoning in both cases.

He also said that because I have been eating much healthier and avoiding saturated fats at home, my stomach has a harder time with certain foods. I had fried chicken at 50's. At home, I cook with canola oil and have no problem. Maybe the fat wasn't the healthy kind. At H&V, I had similar foods that I ate at Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare. I was fine after the other restaurants, but I got really sick after eating at H&V. I remember vividly that H&V didn't look clean and the food didn't taste as fresh....but I digress.

Anyway, if I ever return to 50's in the future, hopefully the entertainment aspect will be better. I just have to avoid the fried chicken there.

:)

Let me just say that we have enjoyed 50's on every previous trip to WDW. The entertaining waitstaff made it a very fun experience, and the food was delicious.

Things have changed at 50's. I read about it on some threads, and I hoped that these experiences were unusual... The waiters have really toned it down, almost as if they are afraid of getting into trouble for joking around with customers. I guess some people were offended by the antics of the waiters, and now the entertainment is essentially gone.

We gave our waitress lots of clues that we were "game" and ready to play along...we came right out and said that my DH is a big tattletale and started misbehaving. They replaced the disgusting greens with corn on the cob so that people would eat their whole meal rather than hiding the greens or getting chastised by the waiter. She told us in a monotone voice that we needed to behave...She was no fun at all, no matter what we did to engage her. She basically ignored us. The other tables were just as bad with customers frowning at the lack of fun.

The food was bad. DD and I got sick on the fried chicken.

Epic fail.

We won't return there on our next trip.

:(

Wow, this is so sad. I went there as a kid and it was definitely a lively experience. I remember the waitress reminding she wanted our platters licked clean so she could see our "tongue tracks!" and she kept on reminding us "no elbows on the table!" etc. It was very entertaining.... so sad to hear that it isn't what it used to be :(

Wow, this is so sad. I went there as a kid and it was definitely a lively experience. I remember the waitress reminding she wanted our platters licked clean so she could see our "tongue tracks!" and she kept on reminding us "no elbows on the table!" etc. It was very entertaining.... so sad to hear that it isn't what it used to be :(

I can't remember where I saw it, but earlier today there was a thread where people were glad the antics have been calmed down. I guess this is one where Disney truly can't win.

I had my annual check-up today and mentioned my DD's and my stomach's reaction to the food at 50's Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine. (I had no other digestive issues at any other restaurants.)

He said that it very well could have been food poisoning in both cases.

He also said that because I have been eating much healthier and avoiding saturated fats at home, my stomach has a harder time with certain foods. I had fried chicken at 50's. At home, I cook with canola oil and have no problem. Maybe the fat wasn't the healthy kind. At H&V, I had similar foods that I ate at Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare. I was fine after the other restaurants, but I got really sick after eating at H&V. I remember vividly that H&V didn't look clean and the food didn't taste as fresh....but I digress.

Anyway, if I ever return to 50's in the future, hopefully the entertainment aspect will be better. I just have to avoid the fried chicken there.

:)

I think 2 important things here
1 It could have been food poisoning yes - but just as likely it could not have been food poisioning
Since you have been avoiding saturated fats for awhile it is just as likely that is the cause.
No way to determine for sure now

I can't remember where I saw it, but earlier today there was a thread where people were glad the antics have been calmed down. I guess this is one where Disney truly can't win.

In my opinion, if there are no "antics" i.e., entertainment...what exactly is the point? We could have just as easily eaten somewhere else, but we were looking for the fun that we had on 4 previous trips.

I dined here in March and it was very busy. I thought it was very toned down, and mildly amusing atmosphere. The food was great. The service was great.

Somethings fishy here. Call me a cynical old fool but...well somethings fishy about this thread.

What is fishy? I gave a dining review when I returned from my vacation in WDW during the last week of July; some people freaked out because they didn't like what I said; some people had a similar experience to mine and expressed their agreement. How is that fishy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter