7 night stay... should we do a split stay?

CharissaOKC

Mouseketeer
We are looking at booking a last minute trip in June and here are our options right now. It’s myself, husband son(3) and nephew(13).

3 nts Pop/4 nights Yacht Club
Or
7 nights POFQ
Or
7 nights POP or ASM- but with add-ons. Park hoppers maybe waterpark.

This is only our second trip and we will take mid-day breaks most days and have a rest day in the middle of our trip.
Thanks!

IMO, 7 nights is too few to hassle with a split stay for me. I like to take care of business on arrival day, unpack, and not worry about anything again until the night before we leave. I think 10 night stays or longer are easier to justify a split stay.

Will your nephew and son share a bed? My initial thought was that POR has rooms with murphy beds that the 3 year old or even the 13 year old may want to sleep on to have their own bed. But if the options are just the ones you've listed, my vote would be 7 nights at POFQ.

I agree with PP. I'm not a fan of split stays. Once I've settled into a room I don't want to re-pack anything until it's time to go home. Although I know a lot of people enjoy them and Disney does make it pretty easy, from what I understand. So you'll probably get lots of differing opinions on this one. But my choice would be 7 nights at POFQ.

I’d pick POFQ esp if taking mid day breaks. It’s a beautiful resort, I love walking along the river, good food court, boat to Disney Springs, Small resort. And short, pleasant walk to Riverside.

I like YC, but for myself, I don’t like a split stay with just 7 day stay. And don’t think 3rd option will be very restful, the values are massive resorts, and rooms are tiny.

IMO, 7 nights is too few to hassle with a split stay for me. I like to take care of business on arrival day, unpack, and not worry about anything again until the night before we leave. I think 10 night stays or longer are easier to justify a split stay.

Will your nephew and son share a bed? My initial thought was that POR has rooms with murphy beds that the 3 year old or even the 13 year old may want to sleep on to have their own bed. But if the options are just the ones you've listed, my vote would be 7 nights at POFQ.

Sleeping arrangements will depend on the layout of the room but we will have a toddler air mattress our son can sleep on if we need to. I’m not stuck on these resorts necessarily but that’s what I’ve seen for our dates and budget. POR And FQ are intriguing to me I just don’t know what to expect with those resorts. Our first trip we stayed at Pop arrival night and WL the rest of the trip.

I don't think I would do it for 7 nights. But I would love to stay at YC so that is tempting. I think the whole trip at POFQ is a great option!

We did Poly/BC with 5 nights at each.

This upcoming trip we are doing two nights at POFQ and then 7 nights on rented BWV points. This was a win for me because I've always wanted to try POFQ and since we added two nights I thought why not!

Last edited:
I don't want the hassle of split stay while relaxing on vacation, so I personally would avoid it at all costs. If I didn't go often, I might, just might consider it if I were staying value and had a chance to experience deluxe. That said, POFQ is an amazing resort that I would much prefer that option than a split with value resorts involved.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I love split stays! But I am also not one to overpack, and only have 1 child, so makes it easy. Also, it is easier if you have a car, just load everything up in the morning, head to a park and when you’re done, go to new hotel, unload and you’re all set. Last year we did 2 nights at GF/3 nights at YC/2 nights at AKL, this year we’re doing 3 nights at BWI/3 nights at Poly.

Having said that, I would do 3 nights at Pop/4 nights at YC, both kids will love Stormalong Bay and it is so nice to be so close to 2 parks.

I too dont mind split stays! I did a few split stays and loved them. And my trips were only 7/8 days long. I like your Pop/Yacht club combo. Wonderful choices! I also very much like the 7 nights at POFQ. Both options are great. Cant go wrong with either. Since you have a 3 year old though, i would probably go with POFQ. Its a smaller resort.

POFQ is a great moderate resort. Its small, so its very easy to get around. Its one bus stop, not several. It has a great pool and food court. You can explore POR if you wanted to. Also, there's that lovely boat ride to disney springs.

I wanted to add, after a long day in the park, if choosing POFQ, you'll love that it wont take long to get to your room. For this reason, i'd probably go with POFQ. Plus kids seem to love the pool slide at POFQ. :)

Sleeping arrangements will depend on the layout of the room but we will have a toddler air mattress our son can sleep on if we need to. I’m not stuck on these resorts necessarily but that’s what I’ve seen for our dates and budget. POR And FQ are intriguing to me I just don’t know what to expect with those resorts. Our first trip we stayed at Pop arrival night and WL the rest of the trip.

POR and POFQ are popular resorts, especially judging by the responses here. IMO, they are worth the upgrade from a value resort yet sufficient enough where I don't think it's worth it to upgrade to a deluxe resort. We also love the boat to Disney Springs. I'd recommend checking out the Dis Unplugged 7 resorts in 7 days series they recently did on YouTube. They cover Pop, POFQ and POR.

I don't bring a lot to the parks (carry-on luggage only) so packing up and moving is fairly easy for us, especially with baggage service getting our bags from resort to resort. I also love trying out new resorts, so I've done a split stay during a seven-day stay with no problem.

Keep in mind that if you do a split stay, on the day you change resorts you may be homeless for a while until your new room is ready. If you'll need midday breaks and naps for the kids, this could be inconvenient.

We did a split stay twice. Its not terrible, but it is a hassle. Unless you are a DVC member, also realize that when you go to book ADRs your 180 +10, is only to the end of your first stay. You can bood the rest of the ADRs starting at the 180 day mark of the second resort. May not be a huge problem, but one more hassle. FPs can be booked for the entire week from the start.

4 nights in a mod.......3 nights in a deluxe is how we used to do split stays

I do split stays every trip, we have done them for as few as a 4 day trip and as long as a 6 night trip. I love them, it gives you the ability to see two different resorts and upgrade to a deluxe. I say go for the split stay.

We like doing split stays.Our's are usually over a 7-8 night stay. But, we don't have small children and we tend to stay in a deluxe resort and stay CL so we have somewhere to land if the room isn't ready. That said, we've been lucky and have almost always had the room ready relatively early in the day so we aren't "homeless" for long. You will have to decide if possibly not having your room for part of a day will negatively impact your vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter