A Bridge Too Far? CFW

Given the suppositions in post 1, would you purchase CFWL as one of your home resorts?

• Yes

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 92.2%

• Total voters
Yeah, I own at SSR (our first and direct contract), but you're never going to convince me That Turf Club and Artist's Palette are better than Boatwright's, The Riverside Mill Food Court, and River Roost at PORS, or Toledo, Three Bridges, Rix, Maya Grill, or El Mercado at CSR. I don't include pool snack stands as QS, because there you'd really get blown out of the water at CSR. Plus, I think CSR has, what, 5 lounges?

As for pools, again, I think Ol' Man Island Pool as the signature pool at PORS is on par with High Rock Spring, and the other pools at SSR are just pools that have to be there due to the size of the resort. the Lost City of Cibola pool at CSR is pretty decent too, plus they also have 3 leisure pools. Doubloon Lagoon at POFQ, and Fuentes del Morro at CBR are pretty amazing as well, and you have to include the Big Blue Pool (eek a BUDGET!) at AOA in any top-ten pool list, so pools in my mind don't really define a deluxe resort.

But, we are all entitled to our opinions.
I don't disagree with you that some of the moderates are very well done (although I would put Sassagoula Float Works and that awesome Shrimp and Grits about Riverside Mill), but I think that SSR is very nice. Also, I think that the Paddock pool (with QS and slide) and the Grandstand pool are better than normal "quiet" pools. Also, I can't walk to Gideon's when my virtual queue time is ready from CSR or CBR :). Plus, none of the moderates have a golf course attached to them (with the very underrated Chip n' Dale's Cafe that few people seem to find or know about)...

I would agree that Goods to Go just doesn't stack up, though, at OKW.

But you could make this argument with other properties as well. The offerings at Kidani aren't great (you have to go to Jambo for QS). The pool is nice, but is a pain to access. Beach Club marketplace isn't anything to write home about either. Also, while I like the BLT pool, many don't.

I don't disagree with you that some of the moderates are very well done (although I would put Sassagoula Float Works and that awesome Shrimp and Grits about Riverside Mill), but I think that SSR is very nice. Also, I think that the Paddock pool (with QS and slide) and the Grandstand pool are better than normal "quiet" pools. Also, I can't walk to Gideon's when my virtual queue time is ready from CSR or CBR :). Plus, none of the moderates have a golf course attached to them (with the very underrated Chip n' Dale's Cafe that few people seem to find or know about)...

I would agree that Goods to Go just doesn't stack up, though, at OKW.

But you could make this argument with other properties as well. The offerings at Kidani aren't great (you have to go to Jambo for QS). The pool is nice, but is a pain to access. Beach Club marketplace isn't anything to write home about either. Also, while I like the BLT pool, many don't.
Exactly, which is why I keep saying the only real "quantifiable" difference between a deluxe and a moderate resort, across the board, is the presence of kitchens or kitchenettes, and balconies. None of the other stuff people hold out as "defining" a deluxe resort are as black and white. The rest is all shades of gray. Pools, dining, other resort amenities, all range all over the board.

I will disagree that the ability to walk to DS (or take a boat from OKW) is a resort "amenity". If the location isn't on the resort property proper, then it doesn't count. Otherwise, we can say that BLT has two wonderful table service restaurants by the name of Citricos and Victoria & Albert.

ETA Chip n' Dales is definitely a great little spot to grab a sammy.

Exactly, which is why I keep saying the only real "quantifiable" difference between a deluxe and a moderate resort, across the board, is the presence of kitchens or kitchenettes, and balconies. None of the other stuff people hold out as "defining" a deluxe resort are as black and white. The rest is all shades of gray. Pools, dining, other resort amenities, all range all over the board.

I will disagree that the ability to walk to DS (or take a boat from OKW) is a resort "amenity". If the location isn't on the resort property proper, then it doesn't count. Otherwise, we can say that BLT has two wonderful table service restaurants by the name of Citricos and Victoria & Albert.

ETA Chip n' Dales is definitely a great little spot to grab a sammy.
I think the walkability to DS is an amenity of SSR though. I mean, I can get to Earl of Sandwich from certain points in Congress Park quicker than I can get to Artist's Palette.

And I do consider "monorail hopping" a great benefit for BLT, VGF, and PVB...

I voted no... but am actually really looking forward to staying here. We love FW and can bring the grandparents. FIL in particular would like hanging out at FW while we go to the parks. The points chart would let us have a nice long, relaxing trip. Not having a washer and dryer is annoying, but I'll take an extra day or two there in trade for an afternoon at the shared machines.

However, I just can't see the layout working for us long term as the kids grow up. We're already eyeing a resale purchase to give us the points to bump up to 2 bedrooms. I won't buy anything DVC without being able to see myself there 10 in years. I'm also concerned about dues rising a lot over time.

I clicked NO so quickly that I feel like I’m leaving one of those reviews “If I could give it zero stars I would!!” 😅

It’s interesting that so many current dvc owners seemed turned off to this addition. It will be fun to see who the buyers are and how this is marketed towards potential buyers.

I was excited about the cabins when first announced, but that was because I expected some actual changes. They are basically rebuilding the exact same cabin. What a waste of money.
I own DVC to get a DELUXE resort at a moderate cost. The cabins aren't deluxe. No kitchen, no w/d, crappy transportation. And no deluxe benefits like evening hours I assume. If I want to sleep in the same room with my kid and have no laundry and no kitchen, I can get a studio for less points (and often do).
I at first loved the idea of not having to board our dogs for the trip and being able to take them with us instead, but when you start thinking about it, it doesn't really work. Dogs would be alone for very very long days with no outdoor access for bathroom (if they put in dog runs, that might swing me the other way). If it's like the other pet friendly rooms you'll have to crate them when you aren't in the room, which I don't want to do.
So I went from excited to maybe I'll stay there someday but unlikely. The points would have to be low, otherwise I'll stick with BLT and BCV, thank you.
We have stayed at the pet friendly cabin loop with our dog. You don't have to crate them when leaving the cabin. We put the sign on the door (in the disney bag they give you at check in) that there was a dog in the room and that is it.

I clicked NO so quickly that I feel like I’m leaving one of those reviews “If I could give it zero stars I would!!” 😅

It’s interesting that so many current dvc owners seemed turned off to this addition. It will be fun to see who the buyers are and how this is marketed towards potential buyers.

I think that now that the points charts have been released, there's an attraction to these cabins by people who may have felt similarly. I'm not sure how much it would have moved the needle, but there's definitely a renewed appeal to some that wasn't there before.

I don’t want to buy there but we will definitely stay there to try it out. We live in Orlando so we will treat it as a fun little get away but I don’t think it would be ideal for people coming to stay for their vacations.

I voted no, but we would likely want to stay if it is a possibility. As BLT owners a boat ride to FW for those activities and HDDR is always manageable as long as the boats are running. Like many others, I don't see the cabins being a long term desire for us, but one or two stays over the years could be good.

$227 a point for accommodations that could be regularly had for around $400 a night paying cash to Disney? This thing is never selling out. There is no breakeven point.
I get your point, and I'll be interested to see how well CFW sells, but those $ 400-a-night cash rates will be long gone. After all, these cabins are now Deluxe according to DVC.

I get your point, and I'll be interested to see how well CFW sells, but those $ 400-a-night cash rates will be long gone. After all, these cabins are now Deluxe according to DVC.
Maybe they are, however the $400 a night price point was largely dictated by the fact that Disney had trouble renting these at higher prices. These things rarely sold out completely except at the busiest times of year. I'm not seeing anything new that's going to suddenly drive more demand to these cabins. Yeah, they're new, but they have the same amenities and location as the previous iteration. They don't even have laundry...

Maybe they will, however the $400 a night price point was largely dictated by the fact that Disney had trouble renting these at higher prices. These things rarely sold out completely except at the busiest times of year. I'm not seeing anything new that's going to suddenly drive more demand to these cabins.
I dunno. I think plenty of DVC owners will be attracted to these things, especially with the favorable points charts. If SSR and OKW fill up, these will too. I don't think DVC will have any trouble filling any breakage or undeclared units for cash.

Maybe they are, however the $400 a night price point was largely dictated by the fact that Disney had trouble renting these at higher prices. These things rarely sold out completely except at the busiest times of year. I'm not seeing anything new that's going to suddenly drive more demand to these cabins. Yeah, they're new, but they have the same amenities and location as the previous iteration. They don't even have laundry...
Same thing with the other hotel sides that DVC has taken over. Trouble selling out WL, GF, AKL. Convert to DVC, sold out and always busy. And there will be incentives. $227 will not be the selling price plus there's the relatively low points per night. Dues remain the question mark if that one guide did know and provide the actual number.

I'm a 'no', however I do want to stay there, and likely will, as I've stayed at the Cabins may times in the past before I was DVC - and even a few times since. But for me, it's a summer-trip-only place. Generally I go to Disney 4 to 5 trips a year, for 4-5 days each trip...the set times I always go each year are early Feb, early to mid June, early to mid September, and early December. I would pick the cabins for my June trip every time if I could.

June is hot, humid, miserable, and sticky, with lots of rain. But I get all that at home too since I live in S. Florida. So might as well be at Disney. I tend to start days much later in summer, sticking around the resort until well after noon or 1pm. It's a laid back vacation. The cabins were always great for that as I liked all the tree shade around, the wildlife wandering around in the evening (armadillos, possum, deer, rabbits), and I always rent a golf cart for easy transportation around the grounds and getting to the stores and bus stops without using the internals. Driving around in the cart is relaxing and fun and makes spending the morning to early afternoons at the campground more enjoyable, and a nice breeze as you cart around under the trees makes the heat more tolerable. BBQing on the grill and the nice deck, taking the boat to MK and Wilderness Lodge (it was nice when you could also boat to Contemporary), and hopping off the boat or bus after a day in the parks and having your cart there at the stop to get back to the cabin - all good times for me.

But in cooler weather where walking isn't as oppressive, or times of year with events at the parks (Christmastime, Food & Wine, etc), I wouldn't like the disconnected feel of being out there - so for me the cabins would just be for that relaxed, laid-back summer trip each year.

There’s a thread over on Timeshare Users Group where it’s being reported that the annual dues for this are starting at $12 per point. That apparently is traced to a comment from a guide, so huge bucket of salt, but boy if that was true then people would be foolish to buy here.

There’s a thread over on Timeshare Users Group where it’s being reported that the annual dues for this are starting at $12 per point. That apparently is traced to a comment from a guide, so huge bucket of salt, but boy if that was true then people would be foolish to buy here.
Yep, I had a guide confirm $12.15 for dues and $225 starting cost/point before incentives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter