A Bridge Too Far? CFW

Given the suppositions in post 1, would you purchase CFWL as one of your home resorts?

• Yes

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 92.2%

• Total voters
I am wondering how families will "grow into" these cabins. With their set-up, they are great for those with younger kids who are OK with sleeping on bunk beds in a room with their siblings while mom and dad are out on the Murphy bed. What happens when that family of 6 is now teens? Are they still going to want to cram into that tiny bedroom? Are they all going to share that one bathroom? With this resort only having a single option, I could see families outgrowing the cabins within 5-10 years. I understand that the average timeshare is owned for 10 years or less, but how is DVD going to market this particular option as a 40-50 year product?

I was excited about the cabins when first announced, but that was because I expected some actual changes. They are basically rebuilding the exact same cabin. What a waste of money.
I own DVC to get a DELUXE resort at a moderate cost. The cabins aren't deluxe. No kitchen, no w/d, crappy transportation. And no deluxe benefits like evening hours I assume. If I want to sleep in the same room with my kid and have no laundry and no kitchen, I can get a studio for less points (and often do).
I at first loved the idea of not having to board our dogs for the trip and being able to take them with us instead, but when you start thinking about it, it doesn't really work. Dogs would be alone for very very long days with no outdoor access for bathroom (if they put in dog runs, that might swing me the other way). If it's like the other pet friendly rooms you'll have to crate them when you aren't in the room, which I don't want to do.
So I went from excited to maybe I'll stay there someday but unlikely. The points would have to be low, otherwise I'll stick with BLT and BCV, thank you.

I am wondering how families will "grow into" these cabins. With their set-up, they are great for those with younger kids who are OK with sleeping on bunk beds in a room with their siblings while mom and dad are out on the Murphy bed. What happens when that family of 6 is now teens? Are they still going to want to cram into that tiny bedroom? Are they all going to share that one bathroom? With this resort only having a single option, I could see families outgrowing the cabins within 5-10 years. I understand that the average timeshare is owned for 10 years or less, but how is DVD going to market this particular option as a 40-50 year product?
I think it will be like PVB being essentially all studios - families will buy in thinking it will be fine, and then as the kids grow many will decide they need a 1-2BR.

The Poly has essentially had nothing but studios to this point and I think that alone probably nullifies this notion. Do I agree with you? Absolutely, but the Poly proved that notion wrong to me before.

I voted yes because we love Ft. Wilderness, but I am not so sure about the trust model. Also, I am a little concerned about the emphasis on pet-friendly and it being for dog owners because we aren't dog people. But we have extended family who aren't really Disney people and only want to stay at the Fort. We love Fort Wilderness but can be nearly as happy at Saratoga Springs, so I wouldn't buy if we couldn't combine our points with our SSR resale points at 7 months.

This is exactly why I voted no. We actually stayed at the cabins our first two WDW trips in 2008 and 2009. The private living space and full kitchen is what inspired us to buy into DVC in 2010.

However, what worked great for two parents and two 5 year olds is a different story 15 years later. These days we need a 1 BR at minimum with the twin trundle or sleeper chair, and really a 2 BR is more realistic (with the extra bathroom at BLT being our ideal).

I'd love if Reflections got built. That is what we really wanted to add on.

But the same can already be said for OKW and SSR...

Adding more points from undesirable resorts such as CFW will compound the problem that SSR and OKW cause- the extreme majority of points are being used at those home resorts only for cheap grand villas and the rest are bought and used as cheap sleep around points at 7 month resorts that people actually want to visit on Disney world proper, which is basically every other resort except for SSR and OKW at the moment, but will include CFW.

I don’t see how adding 2 million plus more points of which over 1 million will easily be bought as cheap SAP is going to make the 7 month situation better for anyone. DVD needs to stop adding undesirable inventory to DVC- SSR, OKW is understandable because it was the original but why extend it, VGF resort studios, and now CFW. They are doing everything half assed and as cheaply and quickly as possible, and it has completely deflated my desire to add on because I don’t trust them to preserve the value of the product.

I’m not meaning to offend anyone who loves these resorts, I am only going by historical last minute vacancies and what the rental sites offer for value for them.

We love the Fort but only because we occasionally tow our camper down. I have never wanted to stay in the cabins and never would. To me there are better options. Some folks love the cabins though. But as someone who has camped at Fort Wilderness many times I wouldn't buy there.

We camped for many years. The cabins are park models and comparable to offerings at other campgrounds across the country that are resort destinations, offering onsite amenities, rather than simply grounds for tents and RV parking. Buying at Fort Wilderness is comparable to purchasing a park model or trailer and parking it at a campground for 50 years. It is not a condominium association. It is a parked recreational vehicle with shared ownership.

Park models and trailers commonly have convertible tables, lofts (with minimal headroom), and pullout sofas for sleeping. The cabins are above the standard and should be compared to RVs, not condominium villas.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s me, but I think that the remodeled SSR rooms are some of the nicest out there.
But that’s moving the goal post.

The point is that before the room renovations, SSR and more importantly OKW, had the “Deluxe” designation, but the only difference between those two resorts and the moderates POFQ, PORS, or CSR is the room layout and balconies). The resort amenities at the mentioned Moderates are far better with better dining options, and equal if not better pools.

Now, room layouts (and balconies) certainly define what a DVC villas is, but there is no arguing that there are already DVC resorts that have resort amenities that fall below the moderates.

But that’s moving the goal post.

The point is that before the room renovations, SSR and more importantly OKW, had the “Deluxe” designation, but the only difference between those two resorts and the moderates POFQ, PORS, or CSR is the room layout and balconies). The resort amenities at the mentioned Moderates are far better with better dining options, and equal if not better pools.

Now, room layouts (and balconies) certainly define what a DVC villas is, but there is no arguing that there are already DVC resorts that have resort amenities that fall below the moderates.
Hi @DonMacGregor ! (BTW, I very much enjoy your posts!)

I am going to respectfully disagree, at least where SSR is concerned. SSR has multiple quick-service as well as a table service restaurant, and the pools, IMHO, are far better than anything at PO, CBR, or CSR. In fact, IMHO, the pools at SSR are much better than RIV, which people seem to like (I don't particularly feel one way or another about it). The only comparison SSR has to moderates is in the outside entry, which I will grant you, however, these hallways are at least "breezeways" and not just exterior walkways up to the room, which is what you have in the moderates. You can point to Gran Destino, but that was very late in the game as well. I just don't see where SSR falls "short" of any of the moderates. As to rooms, there is no comparison. I'd put SSR's renovated rooms up against any on property.

Now, OKW is a different animal in that while having IMHO a very good table service restaurant, it is lacking on a few things, notably quick-service dining, elevators, and there is not a semblance of the "breezeway" structure. Pools at OKW, though, I think would hold up against any of the moderates.

ETA: I will grant you that outside of maybe AKL and WL, POFQ perhaps has the best theming on property, and, they have beignets, which of course moves it up multiple notches...

Hi @DonMacGregor ! (BTW, I very much enjoy your posts!)

I am going to respectfully disagree, at least where SSR is concerned. SSR has multiple quick-service as well as a table service restaurant, and the pools, IMHO, are far better than anything at PO, CBR, or CSR. In fact, IMHO, the pools at SSR are much better than RIV, which people seem to like (I don't particularly feel one way or another about it). The only comparison SSR has to moderates is in the outside entry, which I will grant you, however, these hallways are at least "breezeways" and not just exterior walkways up to the room, which is what you have in the moderates. You can point to Gran Destino, but that was very late in the game as well. I just don't see where SSR falls "short" of any of the moderates. As to rooms, there is no comparison. I'd put SSR's renovated rooms up against any on property.

Now, OKW is a different animal in that while having IMHO a very good table service restaurant, it is lacking on a few things, notably quick-service dining, elevators, and there is not a semblance of the "breezeway" structure. Pools at OKW, though, I think would hold up against any of the moderates.

ETA: I will grant you that outside of maybe AKL and WL, POFQ perhaps has the best theming on property, and, they have beignets, which of course moves it up multiple notches...
Totally agree. I do think the only one that could possibly be compared to moderates would be a studio at OKW, we won't stay in those because of the no sofa option. The one and two bedrooms though are miles above a moderate. I do with OKW had better quick service but lots of dining options only a boat ride away. And the pools are very nice plus I love the sauna option. Also OKW has a gym which most moderate don't, obviously Coronado is a different beast given that it's a convetion resort.

Yeah, I own at SSR (our first and direct contract), but you're never going to convince me That Turf Club and Artist's Palette are better than Boatwright's, The Riverside Mill Food Court, and River Roost at PORS, or Toledo, Three Bridges, Rix, Maya Grill, or El Mercado at CSR. I don't include pool snack stands as QS, because there you'd really get blown out of the water at CSR. Plus, I think CSR has, what, 5 lounges?

As for pools, again, I think Ol' Man Island Pool as the signature pool at PORS is on par with High Rock Spring, and the other pools at SSR are just pools that have to be there due to the size of the resort. the Lost City of Cibola pool at CSR is pretty decent too, plus they also have 3 leisure pools. Doubloon Lagoon at POFQ, and Fuentes del Morro at CBR are pretty amazing as well, and you have to include the Big Blue Pool (eek a BUDGET!) at AOA in any top-ten pool list, so pools in my mind don't really define a deluxe resort.

But, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter