A Funny Story from DTD

BethCPTSD

Mouseketeer
So yesterday I went to Downtown Disney (DLR) with my service dog Harrison. We're local. (By the way, since moving back to CA two years ago I have not had any opportunity to get an AP and I'm dying for them to bring them back!)

One of the issues I've dealt with since adolescence is traumatic mutism. There are have been years at a time that I could not speak in certain places or situations. It is not currently that extreme, but at times I still have a lot of difficulty. Anyway, so I created these cute little Vistaprint business cards that answer the two legal ADA questions on the back of it, that a business is allowed to ask you when you approach with a service dog. I also have on there an explanation that due to a disability it is often easier for me to write than speak, so I'm giving them this card.

Anyway, so it's one of those days, and I put my card in my pocket and walk with Harrison up to the security guard I see waiting for us. I make sure I smile and am very friendly. I reach out and hand him the card. Suddenly, the second security guard who is standing nearby starts (hilariously) shouting "She has a card!! Don't LOOK at the card!! Don't look at it!" I'm really taken aback at the panic in his voice and that he's acting like this card is poisonous to read, but I realize he probably has been instructed not to accept registration cards for service animals since those are scams and don't prove whether it's a service animal or not! This is good policy! I don't disagree!

It was really funny though, because just looking at the card won't do any harm, and it's NOT a registration card! It just explains that I can't speak, and answers the two questions they're allowed to ask! So the poor guard that I'm actually talking to, freezes. My voice shakes dramatically and squeaks out to him, "this is not a registration card! I have trouble speaking due to my disability. It answers "the two questions!" It seems like the guy I'm saying this to understands me, but is afraid to tell the guy whose yelling! LOL. So, I motion to the "yelling guard" to come closer to me. I think, maybe he will hear my weak voice and understand if he gets closer. But he starts acting like I'm about to attack him!

By now, this is both causing severe fight or flight in me, and seeming so funny at the same time! He shouts, "I'm calling the supervisor!!!" and looks at me fearfully. So, be aware, me and my very friendly, fluffy goldendoodle service dog are on the other side of a barrier from these guards and I am a pretty small person as it is, and I'm continuing to smile in a welcoming way to them. So then the supervisor makes it over to us and she clearly doesn't get what's going on. But of course, as soon as she read my card and I mumbled a little bit about my disability she waved me in!!

Whew! It was the biggest non-ordeal ever! I hope they use a little more common sense in the future and educate their guards! I hope you enjoyed this little story, it gives me a chuckle every time I think of it! LOL!! Thanks for listening!

HOW BRAVE YOU WERE!!! 😍 You did *SO* awesomely well!!! Look at how far you have come, my friend! Once upon a time, I believe that might have been the end of your day right there, but you used your tools, and your beautiful voice and you turned someone else’s problem into a stepping stone to your own success!

I know what progress that is for you, and I am so very happy for you - both that you can laugh about it, but also that you have arrived at a place where it didn’t derail your day!

Yay for you!!!

Ah, you're the best mamabunny! Thanks so much!

You have got that right! ha. Something like this has been years in the making! I work really hard to see other people's perspectives, and although in this situation most of the laughter was after I talked myself through it, it really was kind of funny!

I hope that guy had a better day after I left! He seemed quite upset! lol

You did well.
I would suggest not showing the card unless you are asked the 2 questions.
Before my DD’s service dog had to be put to sleep last year, we were only ever asked the questions at Walmart. They asked every single time - probably to avoid anyone saying they were being discriminated against by being selectively asked.

You did well.
I would suggest not showing the card unless you are asked the 2 questions.
Before my DD’s service dog had to be put to sleep last year, we were only ever asked the questions at Walmart. They asked every single time - probably to avoid anyone saying they were being discriminated against by being selectively asked.
thank you so much Sue!

The only reason I approached with my card out, is that DTD won't let you in at all unless you answer the two questions! It's their protocol! And you're right, it's not typical! It's the only place that I go that requires that without fail!

Oh, and I'm sorry to be remiss! l'm really sorry to hear of the passing of your daughter's SD. That must have been very hard for her and all of you. <3

A quick update:

When this happened earlier in the week, I wrote a message to Disneyland's customer service to request that they please give further education to their guards. They actually wrote me back saying they were very concerned and would like to discuss this with me for more details! I have no intention of getting anyone in trouble (I don't even know any of their names) but I am grateful they'd like the opportunity to make a positive change in a general way. I was really happy with their response! Just wanted to share!

A quick update:

When this happened earlier in the week, I wrote a message to Disneyland's customer service to request that they please give further education to their guards. They actually wrote me back saying they were very concerned and would like to discuss this with me for more details! I have no intention of getting anyone in trouble (I don't even know any of their names) but I am grateful they'd like the opportunity to make a positive change in a general way. I was really happy with their response! Just wanted to share!
Thank you for sending in your comment about your experience! And please DO follow through with speaking/communicating with Disney to further explain the situation and share with them what could have made things better. Guest Experience CMs are sincerely interested in making the park experience better for everyone, especially those with disabilities.This isn't about getting anyone in trouble, but about educating CMs and helping others with disabilities. I have gone through a similar experience (i.e. sending in a comment about a negative issue with DAS and working with a CM who contacted me to improve the situation for everyone), and the outcome was positive for all involved. Your sharing with Disney will benefit so many others in the future!

Thank you for sending in your comment about your experience! And please DO follow through with speaking/communicating with Disney to further explain the situation and share with them what could have made things better. Guest Experience CMs are sincerely interested in making the park experience better for everyone, especially those with disabilities.This isn't about getting anyone in trouble, but about educating CMs and helping others with disabilities. I have gone through a similar experience (i.e. sending in a comment about a negative issue with DAS and working with a CM who contacted me to improve the situation for everyone), and the outcome was positive for all involved. Your sharing with Disney will benefit so many others in the future!
Hi! Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm glad to hear Disney was receptive to your feedback, and I am optimistic they will be to mine too.

Take care!

I think they moved the “yelling guard” over to the Toy Story parking lot.

After having no issues all week long, the guard I had on our last morning (day 5) decided I had to completely empty my loungefly backpack, and he sees the tiny, <1/2 inch embroidery scissors that I have to cut tags and strings off of things for my DGD with sensory issues. The tags could be silky soft but even seeing them can cause issues because she’s afraid they will bother her (she got a paper cut from a price tag once and she doesn’t understand the difference— a tag is a tag. And she doesn’t like them).

Other guards have seen these scissors… a couple have even commented commented on them— specifically, on how tiny they are and such a great size to carry with me.

This guard, however, freaks out— I mean red-alert, I-found-something-mega-dangerous type reaction. I stood there dumbfounded :confused: while he barked at me to explain why I thought it was “appropriate” to bring these in to the park. I calmly told him that they were to cut off various tags or labels on ears or stuffies or whatever we get for DGD. I reached to pick them up to make it even clearer how tiny the blade part is (the finger holes are probs at least 3x longer than the cutting portion… they are just minuscule, really) And he blocks me, loudly saying “Do not touch those!” Ummm, ok? Other guards were kinda looking on, but were busy with their own lines… DH is stuck on the other side of the metal detectors [DLR does bag search first then detectors, having you slide your bag on a table next to the detector— you don’t take anything thru with you.] and they don’t want him to come back to me.

The guard insists that I “justify” my need for these snips. I tell him *again* that they are so that the tags on the Disney souvenirs I buy for my special needs DGD do not bother her at the Happiest Place on Earth! Which at the moment isn’t seeming very happy.

[Now mind you, I am a bright pink-haired Nana wearing my Minnie ears visor, a Disney family vacay t-shirt, Loungefly WDW 50th backpack purse, topped with DLR 60th anniversary light-up, flashing Mickey ears perched proudly on the tiller of my scooter. Disneyland is my JAM, ok?]

I was about to ask him to get his lead, when he tells me that he’s gonna “grant an exception this time”. But they won’t be allowed in next time. I said “ok, thank you… but you are the first guard to say anything negative *at all* in the 5 days we’ve been here. Even TSA doesn’t care about these…” He just kinds shrugged. He motioned for the next person before I had even gathered my stuff and put it back in my purse.

I should’ve shut up and pulled forward, but I said “ummm, don’t you need to go thru my other bag?” and motioned behind me. That seemed to annoy him all over again. He refused to go thru it while it was in my basket, making me stand up and try to lift it. The gentleman behind me said to the guard “geez, you could help her, you know” while he lifted it for me. (It wasn’t too heavy, but because of the way we had it in there, it was awkward to lift out, so it wouldn’t be as easy to steal while we were on a ride.) I didn’t see, but I hope that guy didn’t buy himself trouble with the comment.

Again I had to empty the whole pack… every other guard would move things aside and feel around from the outside. But not this dude. He commented that I had “a lot” of medication— and wondered why I had two changes of clothes.

He was also confused that I was bringing in my own glow bracelets… wanted to know why I had “so many”. I explained that I like to let my DGD share them with other kids in line… He got a strange look and said “oh, and you need this many?” Me: “Yeah, I do… sometimes they don’t light up, so I like to bring extras [18 total, I think in 3 packs]… besides I’m a very friendly person who enjoys making Disneyland happier for a tired kid in line. Try it sometime. :rolleyes2

I repacked my pack and the guy behind me put it in my basket again, and I finally advanced to get wanded. A typical 1 minute search took at least 10 minutes. The wand guy wanted to know what happened, I said “idk, I guess his fave character is Grumpy” (I hadn’t looked at his nametag to know, but this year they’ve all got fave character instead of hometown)

I thought about stopping at city hall to report him, but I just wanted to go have fun with DGD. I had already wasted enough time with that bozo.

I guess I’ll send an email now that I’m home, because it *was* really ridiculous. Maybe he didn’t mean it that way, but he seriously seemed to have a bug up his butt about special needs. It was just his attitude, I guess. Getting visibly aggravated and telling me, not nicely, that I “need to stand up and move my [own] pack to the table” (only one other guard put it on the table to search it, and he moved it there and put it back for me— still took less than 30 seconds).

Out of all the lines I could’ve picked that day, there were about 3 with no wait… man did I pick the wrong one!!!

Last edited:
Other guards have seen these scissors… a couple have even commented commented on them— specifically, on how tiny they are and such a great size to carry with me.

This guard, however, freaks out— I mean red-alert, I-found-something-mega-dangerous type reaction. I stood there dumbfounded :confused: while he barked at me to explain why I thought it was “appropriate” to bring these in to the park. I calmly told him that they were to cut off various tags or labels on ears or stuffies or whatever we get for DGD. I reached to pick them up to make it even clearer how tiny the blade part is (the finger holes are probs at least 3x longer than the cutting portion… they are just minuscule, really) And he blocks me, loudly saying “Do not touch those!” Ummm, ok? Other guards were kinda looking on, but were busy with their own lines… DH is stuck on the other side of the metal detectors [DLR does bag search first then detectors, having you slide your bag on a table next to the detector— you don’t take anything thru with you.] and they don’t want him to come back to me.

The guard insists that I “justify” my need for these snips. I tell him *again* that they are so that the tags on the Disney souvenirs I buy for my special needs DGD do not bother her at the Happiest Place on Earth! Which at the moment isn’t seeming very happy.
Although the TSA rules about scissors are very clear (less than 4 inches from the pivot point) I try to only carry smaller scissors with Very blunt tips just to avoid having discussions about them at airport security. I honestly think the rounded tips set off less of an emotional reaction and still work for most things. I do carry another sharper object, but leave a stamped envelope in my baggage in case it is ever considered an issue - hopefully, it would get returned to me that way.

I think they moved the “yelling guard” over to the Toy Story parking lot.

After having no issues all week long, the guard I had on our last morning (day 5) decided I had to completely empty my loungefly backpack, and he sees the tiny, <1/2 inch embroidery scissors that I have to cut tags and strings off of things for my DGD with sensory issues. The tags could be silky soft but even seeing them can cause issues because she’s afraid they will bother her (she got a paper cut from a price tag once and she doesn’t understand the difference— a tag is a tag. And she doesn’t like them).

[Now mind you, I am a bright pink-haired Nana wearing my Minnie ears visor, a Disney family vacay t-shirt, Loungefly WDW 50th backpack purse, topped with DLR 60th anniversary light-up, flashing Mickey ears perched proudly on the tiller of my scooter. Disneyland is my JAM, ok?]

I was about to ask him to get his lead, when he tells me that he’s gonna “grant an exception this time”. But they won’t be allowed in next time. I said “ok, thank you… but you are the first guard to say anything negative *at all* in the 5 days we’ve been here. Even TSA doesn’t care about these…” He just kinds shrugged. He motioned for the next person before I had even gathered my stuff and put it back in my purse.

I should’ve shut up and pulled forward, but I said “ummm, don’t you need to go thru my other bag?” and motioned behind me. That seemed to annoy him all over again. He refused to go thru it while it was in my basket, making me stand up and try to lift it. The gentleman behind me said to the guard “geez, you could help her, you know” while he lifted it for me. (It wasn’t too heavy, but because of the way we had it in there, it was awkward to lift out, so it wouldn’t be as easy to steal while we were on a ride.) I didn’t see, but I hope that guy didn’t buy himself trouble with the comment.

Again I had to empty the whole pack… every other guard would move things aside and feel around from the outside. But not this dude. He commented that I had “a lot” of medication— and wondered why I had two changes of clothes.

He was also confused that I was bringing in my own glow bracelets… wanted to know why I had “so many”. I explained that I like to let my DGD share them with other kids in line… He got a strange look and said “oh, and you need this many?” Me: “Yeah, I do… sometimes they don’t light up, so I like to bring extras [18 total, I think in 3 packs]… besides I’m a very friendly person who enjoys making Disneyland happier for a tired kid in line. Try it sometime. :rolleyes2

I repacked my pack and the guy behind me put it in my basket again, and I finally advanced to get wanded. A typical 1 minute search took at least 10 minutes. The wand guy wanted to know what happened, I said “idk, I guess his fave character is Grumpy” (I hadn’t looked at his nametag to know, but this year they’ve all got fave character instead of hometown)

I thought about stopping at city hall to report him, but I just wanted to go have fun with DGD. I had already wasted enough time with that bozo.

I guess I’ll send an email now that I’m home, because it *was* really ridiculous. Maybe he didn’t mean it that way, but he seriously seemed to have a bug up his butt about special needs. It was just his attitude, I guess. Getting visibly aggravated and telling me, not nicely, that I “need to stand up and move my [own] pack to the table” (only one other guard put it on the table to search it, and he moved it there and put it back for me— still took less than 30 seconds).

Out of all the lines I could’ve picked that day, there were about 3 with no wait… man did I pick the wrong one!!!
Sorry you had to go through that. We ask the CMs in the shops to cut the tags off. They usually have a pair of scissors behind the counter or at the MO pick up podium. It can be easier to let them do it and saves time and aggravation at bag check.

Last edited:
Although the TSA rules about scissors are very clear (less than 4 inches from the pivot point) I try to only carry smaller scissors with Very blunt tips just to avoid having discussions about them at airport security. I honestly think the rounded tips set off less of an emotional reaction and still work for most things. I do carry another sharper object, but leave a stamped envelope in my baggage in case it is ever considered an issue - hopefully, it would get returned to me that way.
These scissors are so tiny. I just measured and from the pivot point they are 1.5 cm & the handle end to the pivot point is just barely under 6 cm. So turns out the blade is a bit more than 1/2”. The tips aren’t as pointy as typical embroidery scissors. They are slightly rounded, but not as blunt as say, kindergarten scissors. I have flown with them a few dozen times with never a second glance from TSA agents.

The craziest part is that *at least* 3 other guards had said they were “cute” or “perfect size” for bringing to the parks. They see much larger ones fairly frequently and have to turn ppl away or confiscate them. The guard who had a problem didn’t say what would happen to them if taken… I assume I would have to pick them up at GS outside the park at the end of the day 🤷‍♀️Not really sure.

While I was getting wanded, and when I stopped to look at some pins, DH watched the line and in that time he said no one else was being asked empty their purse or backpack as I had been told to. He didn’t notice how many disabled people came thru that line after me. It just felt like the guard was annoyed by me for some reason— 🤷‍♀️ I might be wrong but it seemed like he had a poor attitude because I was ‘on wheels’ (as most CMs seemed to say on this trip). I always try to see situations in the best possible light, but occasionally it’s hard not to “go there”.

DL is so amazingly awesome at making things easy for people with mobility or other challenges. On this trip, CMs called wheelchair or scooter users “friends on wheels” when giving general directions such as when lining up for busses or at the park gates. To me, this shows the CMs are being trained to be aware and sensitive to our needs. More than ever before, I was asked if I could walk very specific distances (50 feet, etc) or stand for up to x amount of time (instead of a non-specific “short period” or “few minutes”). They seem to have worked to, as specifically as possible, estimate distance and time. They also asked extra questions about was I ok in very close spaces with people who might bump me, or did I need extra time or assistance loading or exiting the ride vehicle. And first time ever… I saw a CM at HM guiding a guest out of the stretching room with a flashlight pointed on the ground. They were led out ahead of the rest of us…

So I don’t want to think the guard truly had a bad attitude toward disabled guests. Maybe he doesn’t like unnatural hair colors, or overweight people, or maybe he felt I shouldn’t bring a purse to DL from WDW…perhaps he just had an awful morning and I was the next thing that annoyed him. I can only say that I felt like he was aggravated by my presence from the instant I rolled up to his station. And it seemed he was determined to screen me much more stringently than I had been at any other time. If it had been that everyone was being screened the same way, it probably wouldn’t have felt so wrong.

Fortunately, many other guards were helpful, thorough, and friendly. Some were excited to see all my pins, or comment on the flashing ears on my scooter. I always thank them for keeping us all safe. I don’t care what of mine they search. I do care if they seem annoyed that I have a backpack with normal things like clothes & water bottles & goodies for DGD. And no one likes being singled out for no reason.

These scissors are so tiny. I just measured and from the pivot point they are 1.5 cm & the handle end to the pivot point is just barely under 6 cm. So turns out the blade is a bit more than 1/2”. The tips aren’t as pointy as typical embroidery scissors. They are slightly rounded, but not as blunt as say, kindergarten scissors. I have flown with them a few dozen times with never a second glance from TSA agents.

The craziest part is that *at least* 3 other guards had said they were “cute” or “perfect size” for bringing to the parks. They see much larger ones fairly frequently and have to turn ppl away or confiscate them. The guard who had a problem didn’t say what would happen to them if taken… I assume I would have to pick them up at GS outside the park at the end of the day 🤷‍♀️Not really sure.

While I was getting wanded, and when I stopped to look at some pins, DH watched the line and in that time he said no one else was being asked empty their purse or backpack as I had been told to. He didn’t notice how many disabled people came thru that line after me. It just felt like the guard was annoyed by me for some reason— 🤷‍♀️ I might be wrong but it seemed like he had a poor attitude because I was ‘on wheels’ (as most CMs seemed to say on this trip). I always try to see situations in the best possible light, but occasionally it’s hard not to “go there”.

DL is so amazingly awesome at making things easy for people with mobility or other challenges. On this trip, CMs called wheelchair or scooter users “friends on wheels” when giving general directions such as when lining up for busses or at the park gates. To me, this shows the CMs are being trained to be aware and sensitive to our needs. More than ever before, I was asked if I could walk very specific distances (50 feet, etc) or stand for up to x amount of time (instead of a non-specific “short period” or “few minutes”). They seem to have worked to, as specifically as possible, estimate distance and time. They also asked extra questions about was I ok in very close spaces with people who might bump me, or did I need extra time or assistance loading or exiting the ride vehicle. And first time ever… I saw a CM at HM guiding a guest out of the stretching room with a flashlight pointed on the ground. They were led out ahead of the rest of us…

So I don’t want to think the guard truly had a bad attitude toward disabled guests. Maybe he doesn’t like unnatural hair colors, or overweight people, or maybe he felt I shouldn’t bring a purse to DL from WDW…perhaps he just had an awful morning and I was the next thing that annoyed him. I can only say that I felt like he was aggravated by my presence from the instant I rolled up to his station. And it seemed he was determined to screen me much more stringently than I had been at any other time. If it had been that everyone was being screened the same way, it probably wouldn’t have felt so wrong.

Fortunately, many other guards were helpful, thorough, and friendly. Some were excited to see all my pins, or comment on the flashing ears on my scooter. I always thank them for keeping us all safe. I don’t care what of mine they search. I do care if they seem annoyed that I have a backpack with normal things like clothes & water bottles & goodies for DGD. And no one likes being singled out for no reason.

Disneyland local who brings Mom in a wheelchair a lot... Interesting at HM about the handicap party being the first party led out of the stretching room. We are normally the last people into the stretching room and last ones out. The cast members do lead us out with the flashlight and when we are done with the ride, the CMs also lead us back to the elevator with a flashlight. They usually move way too fast though that it is hard to keep up with them with a wheelchair and maneuvering the corner, the half carpet/half regular floor spots, and of course the people who are pushed up against the chains/ropes that are hanging over into the path. But it does work.

I will say that I have had a mix of security people. Some barely look and some have me opening my wallet to look inside (ummm, are you checking if I have enough money or a credit card to pay?). But I have always been told to put my own bags on the table (usually, I am wrangling bags for both myself and mom while trying to push the wheelchair). For future, your husband may want to wait with you to help with the bags instead of going ahead to the scanners.

I know at least 2 times that Disneyland changed their policy because 1 person reported the problem and worked with Guest Experience CMs. So positive change can happen if we speak up!
Unless one of them is referring to DH and wheel chair section placement at WOC, make that three. Several years ago they tried to move all wheel chair seating areas to the back and he showed the views were not equal and got Disney to move them back.

Unless one of them is referring to DH and wheel chair section placement at WOC, make that three. Several years ago they tried to move all wheel chair seating areas to the back and he showed the views were not equal and got Disney to move them back.
Well, that may not have lasted too long, unfortunately.

When we were there at the beginning of October, they only had the wheelchair spots and companion benches at the back. They do have an additional DAS/disabled area up front near the fence, but they said if I wanted to stay on my scooter, or have a seat on a bench, I’d have to be in the area at the back. If I wanted to stand, I could move down to the front. I chose to remain in the seated area.

It turned out to be a good choice, because the new show— WoC: ONE— is much wetter than the one from before the pandemic. CMs even warned us that being in the front almost guaranteed we’d get damp, at least. So maybe that’s why wheelchairs and scooters are in the back:confused3.

Come to think of it, I didn’t really see any way to even get down to the front via a ramp … but there surely must’ve been one. So, I suppose it’s possible I missed one of the designated wheelchair viewing areas, however we were only directed to two areas.

Overall, both of the handicapped areas we were in, had pretty decent sight lines. I think the section in front of Mermaid is preferable to the one way at the end across from Goofy’s Sky School— the overall effects were more visible. But unlike Fantasmic’s hc sections from back in 2015 (one way over near Harbor Galley & the other basically behind the giant pole that raises up for the lights and speakers) where both were just abysmal vantage points— the WoC sections were both ok. It’s just that the one across from Mermaid was better.

I was worried for a minute because the “Mermaid” section is directly behind the dessert party section. After I got myself situated, I saw that there were several large, tall beverage dispensers set up on tables directly in front of us & I realized they were going to block some of our view. But as soon as the lights went down, the dessert party CMs very quickly removed the beverage dispensers, and we had a completely unobstructed view.

Well when they did it before, the sight lines were absolutely terrible, you could see maybe 1/8 of the show and were constantly being blocked by people letting their kids stand on the walls in front of it on top of that, at that time it was 10 times worse than the HC viewing area for Fantasmic!, which was really bad. So sounds like they found better placement that does offer a more equal viewing area. Honestly, if you are right behind the dessert viewing area that people pay good money for and they make sure the view is not obscured, that is likely good.

And if it is a lot more wet, they likely moved them back for safety and that is different than moving them back just because.

So, I stand by that they listened and were smarter about where they moved the sections to as a result.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter