ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

OMG, I read you rolled your own and had to look back to see you were talking about pasta. Apparently I've lived in Colorado too long. LOL

Jill in CO

OMG, I read you rolled your own and had to look back to see you were talking about pasta. Apparently I've lived in Colorado too long. LOL

Jill in CO

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

BUahahahahaha!!!

Okay, now THAT was funny!! It's legal here too, but, even if it weren't illegal for me to participate with my job, it'd be just bad judgement. I already have too few functioning brain cells to think on a GOOD day. :lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

BUahahahahaha!!!

Okay, now THAT was funny!! It's legal here too, but, even if it weren't illegal for me to participate with my job, it'd be just bad judgement. I already have too few functioning brain cells to think on a GOOD day. :lmao:

I can't do it either....my remaining brain cells are too precious to waste on anything other than good red wine!

Jill in CO

HEEEEEEEEEELPPPP!!!!!

Calling all Readers!!!!!

I had one of you contact me by commenting somewhere asking when my dates were!! (Aside from Cinderkelly) For the life of me, I cannot find that comment or remember who that was!!

I have a couple of options for a very quick Meet- one on Dapper Day, and the other at the Christmas Party. So please, if it was you, please contact me again!!

Last edited:

Exactly!!! You should come up here for some Willamette Valley Pinot Noir tasting!

I have to do that some of these days! Oregon and Washington are on my list! BTW, how far are you from Bonne Terre? My aunt and uncle lives there.

Jill in CO

I have to do that some of these days! Oregon and Washington are on my list! BTW, how far are you from Bonne Terre? My aunt and uncle lives there.

Jill in CO

Yes!! You have about 50 to choose from within about 30 miles of my house! :)

Do you mean Terrebonne? That is near Bend which is about 3 1/2 hours away in Central Oregon. We'd love to host you, or we can make girls' weekend out of it.

I don't see too many robes come out when Zach's had friends over. Perhaps those are reserved for fantasies such as this.

:rolleyes:

For WHO!? The kids, clearly!

You mean you didn't partake???

That's AWESOME!!! I've made/rolled my own noodles quite a lot, and I know for a fact, cutting them is hard and time consuming. (Hence, no pasta making for a LONG time.) Did you use a pasta machine? Did you do noodles like spaghetti or wider stuff like lasagna?

Yes, I used a pasta machine. I bought one years ago and Kay has been bugging me ever since to try it. Finally did. :) I made fettucine noodles. It was a lot easier than I thought. :)

Unless you know that one, it'd be a pretty hard one to figure out.

I'm gonna feel pretty foolish when you post it and I know it!

There have been more than one occasion I"ve gone a bit overboard. ;)

:rolleyes1

NO. Just the escargot.

:laughing: Okay.

Ummm, have you ever had falafel?

Why do you ask?

:lmao:

Okay... No. Never.

Party Pooper.

See...? I DO read your TRs. Takes me far too long to comment, but I do read.

Reading is one thing.
Remembering all that drivel? Incredible.

Actually, yes, it was. :bitelip:

:laughing:

Jill in CO

:lmao:

HEEEEEEEEEELPPPP!!!!!

Calling all Readers!!!!!

I had one of you contact me by commenting somewhere asking when my dates were!! (Aside from Cinderkelly) For the life of me, I cannot find that comment or remember who that was!!

I have a couple of options for a very quick Meet- one on Dapper Day, and the other at the Christmas Party. So please, if it was you, please contact me again!!
Well, I am planning on meeting you, and maybe @cinderkelly too. But since I know when that is, I'm pretty sure you aren't referring to me. Sorry can't help!

*** Fresh Potato Pancake with Scottish Smoked Salmon and Herbed Sour Cream

***Loaded Mac ‘n' Cheese with Nueske's® Pepper Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Peppers and Green Onions

This was on my keeper list too! I plan to have it again!

***Black Pepper Shrimp with Garlic Noodles

Steppe's Assessment: Save your money. It was bland and dry. They could have vastly improved this one with a bit of hoisin sauce or Rooster Sauce. Meh.

Now my assessment was totally different. I got a really spicy batch and remember telling Fran that it was too spicy for her to try! I might try it again this year as it seems to be all over the place.

***Taco de Camarón: Battered Shrimp served over a Flour Tortilla with Crispy Purple Cabbage and Chipotle Mayonnaise

Yeah, I didn't care for this one much either, but probably mostly for the chipotle mayo.

And thus endeth Steppe's Foray into Food & Wine, 2016. Yes, I'm catching the VERY LAST day of it this year, and am looking forward to trying a few new things as well as my Loaded Mac and Cheese. But if it goes anything like last year, I'll approach it with the same helter-skelter method. One just never knows...

Good luck! With only one day you'll be hard pressed to get in many tastes especially on your own!

OK. Now lets see if I can get you a PM with the picture answers.

Update health-wise, Xeljan's is officially a miracle drug. Since I started the meds in January, I have had 2 small flares of my RA. My morning stiffness has gone from lasting about 2 1/2-3 hours in the AM to about 30 minutes. The flares I have had have been very localized and only required joint specific steroid injections instead of all over injections or oral steroids. I was taking 3-4 tramadol every day and 1 Tylenol 3 at night to sleep and am now down to just the Tylenol 3 at night to sleep. My doctors, as well as myself, are pretty ecstatic over the results.

I'm so glad that the Xeljanz is working out for you. It's working really well for Fran as well. She is hardly having to take her pain meds and she has been feeling pretty good lately!

I'd try that one now.
At the time, it wasn't on my radar because the only Sheperd's pie I'd ever had, I didn't like. But since then... well, things change, ya know?

I'm in! If they still have it... whenever.

Sorry. :sad2: It's been replaced this year with:
  • Roasted Irish Sausage with Colcannon Potatoes and Onion Gravy – $5.50, DDP Snack Eligible

I think I DO know the place. Long to re-visit someday. :)

I'm working on an email for what's up in April....

Sorry. :sad2: It's been replaced this year with:
  • Roasted Irish Sausage with Colcannon Potatoes and Onion Gravy – $5.50, DDP Snack Eligible

Doesn't matter for this year.
I won't be there until after it's over.

I meant... some year.
By then... who knows what will be available?

Thanks for sharing your F & W samplings. I've been to F&G twice when food was offered. I have big plans to try so many different items, but guess what? Didn't happen. In 2015 I think I tried about 3 items. This past May I didn't try anything. So disappointed. You did so much better than me. Looking forward to reading what you get this year.

So, did you see him yet? How did he like it?

Yes, Peter came back on Wednesday night. He had an amazing time. I did let him miss his early morning swim training on Thursday.

He could probably carry your handbag for you! A sizable one at that!

There's a plan! In fact I should just get some panniers for him and I wouldn't need to carry anything!

Z is for: Zipping Things Up!

All good things must come to an end. Pretty mediocre ones, like this TR, do too, thank God! For all those diehards who stuck this out, I’m forever grateful! It began over 3 years ago as a Pre-Trip Report which enabled you all to suffer with me through 3 long, in some ways very horrible, and in others quite wonderful and challenging, years of Nursing School, culminating in one big, fat, grand adventure in Disney which surpassed all of our wildest dreams. From Concierge Upgrades to unforgettable dinners, it was a trip to remember for a lifetime. I celebrated in the biggest way possible, and I want to humbly thank you for reading along and letting me share all of that with you. An extra HUGE shout out to all of you who jumped in and participated with conversation, comments, replies, stories, and friendly ribbing. That’s what makes the effort of writing a TR all worth it.

Before we get to the Revealing of the Contest Winner(s), let me just reminisce a bit. In classic TR form, I will share with you the most memorable take-aways and finish this fish wrapper up so I can finally wipe my SD cards in prep for my next Adventure of a Lifetime- a Medical Teaching trip to West Africa… preceded by a week of unadulterated fun-frenzy at Disney. Of course, I will write up a little (okay, fine, you’re right, I’ve never done “little” in terms of TRs) synopsis of my trip. Yes, there will be a Contest. Yes, you should join in. I mean what more could you ask for? There’ll be photos, stories, fart jokes, and if all goes like in trips past, there’ll also be wrong bathroom stories, tips on going commando, costumes, sashaying, DISMeets, Mystery Photos, and loads of alphabetical-style hoopla.

Now, let’s hit the rewind button for a bit, shall we?

…and start with the Halloween Party, since that’s what we did first.

Favorites?? The Parade, followed by just the general atmosphere of the spooky lighting, fog, BGM, and costumes.

Least?? The characters (lines barely worth it) and the lack of CS options open later to find real food at.

This was unanimous across the board.

Favorite photos from the Party:

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Favorite Meal for each of us:

Liesa- Hands down, V&A. What an outrageously decadent, leisurely, delicious experience. Yes, I’d have loved to have had a dinner partner, which I know would have made it even more amazing, but I did get to share my dessert course with…. My Scottish Clansmen in the end!! Still blown away by that little turn of events!

Zach- Raglan Rd. He still raves about this one. He loved the food, the dancing and the music. He says it was our most “fun” meal and wants to go back someday.

Michaela- Mikki had a hard time narrowing this down. She LOVED the Via Napoli for the sole reason that there was a plethora of handsome men who paid attention to her. She remarked with a tongue and cheek comment just the other day that, “I should have gotten a phone number.” (She would never, just to remove any raised eyebrows.) She said our best meal in terms of venue and quality was the Coral Reef. She thought the food was outstanding and it was very relaxing with good service and a view to always be remembered. Lastly, she remarked that her meal at The Skipper’s Canteen was very good. She ordered the:

Nile Nellie's Noodle Bowl - Niles and Niles of rice noodles... fragrant broth served with choice of chicken or duck with jalapenos and fresh herbs $23/duck or $22/chicken- she got chicken. But even if she'd gotten the duck, it'd have tasted just like...

She wanted me to add that, although the food was good, the atmosphere was just… odd. Here’s her thoughts, then I’ll add mine…

****LONG COMMENTARY WARNING****

She thinks that it’s the kind of place that you need to be in a really silly mood to go to and enjoy (read be tipsy). Her thinking is that it’s best suited for a group of close friends with dorky senses of humor or the whole concept will be lost. She felt awkward trying to play along with the roleplay of the server. Now my thoughts: While I never had the pleasure of visiting the old Adventurer’s Club, I have a feeling that Skipper’s Canteen tried to incorporate a little bit of the zany flavor and concept from there. The silly antics, jokes, quirky backstory woven in, and well….. if guests were to have an alternative objective to have a bit of tipsy fun, this place just might work. But, it’s NOT a club, the backstory is wholly LOST on 99% of the guests, there are too many families that are “just eating, and the entire concept is lost on them. Sad really. Not NEARLY as sad as the disappearance of the Adventure’s Club, but sad. Yes, I know Skippers wasn’t meant to be a Club, but the theming and crazy antics that are supposed to be part of it, but too often fall flat, do seem to be at the least a polite hat tip to that.

***Total sidenote: I hear that a similar venue is opening under The Edison at Disney Springs called The Neverland Tunnels. This sounds VERY intriguing and is rumored to be VERY similar to the Old Club. Here’s a kinda recent article:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/...-neverland-tunnels-slated-for-disney-springs/

Anara- Topping her list was Via Napoli in terms of fun, but for food and flavors, she says Jiko. She added that she wishes she was old enough to drink because everyone else got to have really nice wines there. (Clearly, the apple falls not far from the tree.)

Least favorite meals:

Me- Flying Fish was only so-so. The atmosphere was great, service mediocre, and food hit and miss. Some was really excellent, some was yucky.

Anara says she was traumatized by her accidental “flash dance” at Coral Reef. She says she still has nightmares of showing her butt cheeks to a restaurant full of people. I reminded her that they will never see her again, and that they will have years of conversation about that night around their campfires.

Zach tells me everything was delicious. There was no bad food. He is a 19-year old kid, so this is no surprise.

Mikki- Easy. Flying Fish. She is a bit more… opinionated on this and states, “The food was abominable.” So there ya have it.

Favorite Resort:

This trip got me to 2 more on the list. To date I’ve stayed at POP, POR, Ft. Wilderness, the Poly, Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk, and AoA. Lots more to go, but I’d have to say, of those I’ve stayed at, my favorites are a toss up between the Boardwalk and AKL. But, even that was hard to narrow down because every resort has its charm and qualities. I like them all for very different reasons. The stunning beauty was far and away my favorite thing about AKL, and the Cars Section at night was my favorite part of AoA. I wouldn’t mind staying there again, in fact.

Favorite photos from each resort:

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%205-2.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

Favorite parks:

Me- Still going with AK. Still love the very beauty of this park and its ability to make me fully relax. It has great food options, one of the best rides on property, and a way of just causing me to slow down and saunter a bit. I’m sure Pandora is going to knock my socks off and I can’t wait to see it!

Anara says absolutely AK! Because her favorite ride is Expedition Everest and she really, REALLY likes animals. She loves the 2 shows as well.

Zach says he doesn’t have a favorite park, but every time he was let loose, he headed straight for (or stayed in) MK. He was completely addicted to Socerers of the Kingdom game and spent hours finding and chasing the portals. I freely admit, it was fun and I played a fair bit myself.

Mikki adores EPCOT and would spend most of her time there if given free reign of her time. She likes shopping around WS.

Favorite Rides:

Me- Still going with ToT, followed closely by HM, then BTMRR at night.

Mike- Soarin’

Anara- Everest

Zach- ToT and Everest

Mikki- Everest

Favorite Memories and Takeaways:

Me- V&A, Solo Time (pool, shopping-around-the-world, etc…) The Party, The Upgrade, and of course the DISMeets with Shelly (@DISNEYMOON10121991 ), Karilynn (@Malia78 ) (Pat (@Poolrat ), Tanya (@mom3sonstt ), Marv (@GoofyFan1515 ), Cindy (@addictedtothemouse ), Fran, Alison (@franandaj ), and Rosie (@englishrose47 )! What awesomesauce people we have on the Boards!

Mike's- The Imperial March, DHS in general including the Streetmosphere and the Tomorrowland Speedway at MK (it's a nostalgia thing).

Anara's- The Wanyama Tour; riding EE 5 times in a row one RD morning.

Zach's- Disney Dining at all the places; playing the Sorcerers of the Kingdom game; the AoA gift shop- where he still wants the Aoa mug.

Mikki's- Riding the Tomorrowland Speedway and laughing so hard she almost peed herself because she kept pinging off the center rail and some Japanese tourists were "driving alongside her videoing her; having a drink with Mama late at night at the AKL pool on her arrival night; and designing her car on TT when she did some solo time.

Mouscellaneous Fun Tidbits…

Remember the fun little guestbook I made in the form of hanging Mickey Heads? You know, those ones that all blew away on our 2nd night. Yes, I was that woman who ran all over the back lawn at AoA trying to retrieve my little creations out of the bushes and trees and grass. I came within mere seconds of my life finding its early demise when I felt a sharp, needle-like pain when I reached down for a red one that had found its way to the snake and alligator-infested water’s edge. Snap!!! I gasped for breath unable to call for help when I suddenly realized it was own aged and decrepit back that every day feels the suck-a-thon of 50. BUT! I did find 2 guestbook messages. One was even foreign.

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Also, I had made a little Wishing Well that I filled with wishes I’d hoped would come true during my trip. You’ve watched so many of them be granted by the Fairy New-Job-Salary Mother and many more by the Disney Godmother over the course of this TR. Isn’t it fun to watch wishes come true?! Take a peek… only a very, very few were left on my list after 10 days in the World. We’ll see if these last half dozen can be taken care of next month! The Edison isn’t looking promising, but you never know…

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%203.jpg

But check out what DID get done! Holy cow, that’s a lot of awesome sauce going on right there, no?

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy.jpg

FullSizeRender%20-%20Copy%202.jpg

Favorite Food and Wine Dish? The Loaded Mac and Cheese

IMG_1242.jpg

The least? This vile little ditty disguised in a $5 façade:

IMG_9891.jpg

Favorite Photos from the Trip:

#1-
IMG_2741.jpg

The rest:

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_9972.jpg

IMG_9949_1.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

Now, that moment you’ve all been waiting for: The Contest Winners!

Let’s start with the Mystery Alphabet Game that was played throughout the TR:

A- American Adventure

B- Be Our Guest Restaurant

C- Carousel of Progress (ski boot from Christmas scene)

D- Dragon from the 3:00 Parade

E- England from the United Kingdom Pavilion at EPCOT

F- France Pavilion (gift shop exterior)

G- Grand Floridian Roofline

H- Hollywood Tower of Terror

I- Illuminations

J- Jungle Cruise (Trader Sam)

K- Kaa

L- Laughing Place

M- Mission Space

N- Norway

O- Orangutan

P- Pirates of the Caribbean (The Mercado is the scene with the Bride Auction for a bonus point)

Q- FREEBIE!!

R- Rafiki’s Planet Watch Train

S- Star Tours

T- Tiki Room (in the outdoor queue area)

U- Under the Sea!!

V- Victoria and Albert’s (coffee percolator)

W- Wishes

X- FREEBIE

Y- Yak and Yeti Restaurant

Z- Zanzibar Trading Company in Adventureland

Drumroll please…………….

2 people scored ALL the points including the bonus point from Letter P.

@Chrystmasangel and @Terra Nova guy , both deserve a round of applause for their expert level of location identification using crappy photos. (@Flossbolna you missed it by ONE STINKING POINT! If you'd only gotten Z!!!!)

party:party:party:

Your adoring fans wish you hearty congratulations!! Now, please PM me your address so that I can send off your (as yet to be purchased) prizes! I promise no creepy stalking, no sales calls, and only one gift.

Onto the more complicated Contest that you had to enter last year....

16 of you played and here are the guesses you put forth in a prediction of how Steppe’s trip would pan out- your job, if you recall, was to get as close to her actual points as possibly using your reasoning skills and best guesses. In no particular order:

Captain_Oblivious: 468

Mom3sonstt: 358

Pkondz: 255

Flossbolna: 429

Donnabegood: 457

Franandaj: 258

Cinderkelly: 453

Irene_dsc: 410

Afwdwfan: 480

Disneymoon10121991: 386

Chrystmasangel: 350

Poolrat: 330

Englishrose47: 330

Leshaface: 510

Rndmr: 380

Magicfor2: 483

Glennbo: ?? I could have sworn you put guesses in, but cannot find them anywhere!!

Now, here is the breakdown of Steppe’s Points:

Transportation:

10 points for each departure on time- both were: 20

5 points for each aisle seat- only 1: 5

10 points for each leg we got to sit together: 20

20 points if Steppe gets to sleep on the flights- no: 0

Total: 45

ADRs:

5 points for each ADR we went to: 10/11: 55

20 bonus points if she goes to all of them: nope!

I sent the kids to Skippers, cuz I hadn’t gotten enough EPCOT, but am counting it since SOME of us went, but I completely forgot altogether S’anaa. Like totally forgot it.

Total: 55

Drinks:

Yes, Steppe did in fact drink 26 adult beverages completing the entire alphabet: 50 points PLUS 6 Challenge Drinks (the harder letters: N, Q, X, etc…) for 30, and only 1 souvie mug purchased: 10

The last 2 were an Uzzo and 7-Up and Yukon and Coke- both at AKL on our last 2 lazy days. It CAN be done, you don’t have to sloshed (given enough days and spacing between each one) and yes, it costs a crapton. No, I won’t do this stunt again, but would love to hear about the experience of anyone you know of who has.

Grand

Total: 90

Shop Around the World:

11 Pavilions for 10 points each- only 10 were gotten with no bonus for: 50 Why? Because while Canada SUX hard for good souvenir choices, France sucks even worse. Unless you want something that says Paris on it. Then you could spend millions. Perhaps billions.

At least one was over $10- no bonus there either

Total: 50

Hidden Mickeys: 23

Resorts:

AoA was NOT ready: 0

AKL WAS ready: 10

NOT upgraded at AoA: 0

UPGRADED at AKL: 20

Total: 30

Completion of Top 10 Lists:

Only 2 were completed of the 4 parks and 2 Resorts- 20 points Top 10 Lists are HARD. You just can’t do everything!! I’ll highlight what we didn’t do.

Here are the 6 Top 10 Lists:

MK:

1) Enchanted Tales with Belle
2) 7DMT
3) Pirate's Adventure in Adventureland
4) Sorcerers of the Kingdom game
5) Dapper Dans
6) MSEP

7) Flag Retreat
8) BTMRR at night
9) HM
10) POTC

AK:

1) Tam Tam Congo
2) Rafiki's Planet Watch
3) Trails
4) Photography
5) DeVine
6) Nemo Show
7) Frozen Chai
8) EE
9) FoLK
10) I left off #10 as I noticed it was a repeat of #3

EPCOT:

1) F&W Kiosks
2) Frozen Ride
3) Seeds Tour
4) Fountain Show
5) Rice Cream
6) Hidden Mickey's
7) BGM
8) Soarin'
9) VoL
10) Agent P Adventure – We started but it was boring. Still counting

DHS:

1) ToT
2) TSMM
3) Streetmosphere
4) GMR
5) Star Tours
6) One Man's Dream

7) Tune In Lounge
(Yes, only 7 here, because this park sux)

AoA:

1) Photos of the signed sketches
2) 10 HMs
3) Cars area at night

4) Sketch Class
5) Photo walk
6) Big Blue Pool
7) Read by the pool
(Only 7)

AKL:

1) Animal Feeding (Counting Wanyama)

2) Campfire and Night Stories
3) Read by the Pool
4) Sauna and Steam Room
5) Savannah viewing
6) Victoria Falls
7) Boma Breakfast
8) Tour of Resort- counting as the Concierge level gave us sneak peeks at other cool stuff, and we saw 50 miles of hallway doing laundry. Counts.
9) Sit on our verandah
10) Hidden Mickeys

Total: 20

Disney Transportation:

30 points if no wait is more than 15 minutes for any mode- 0!

20 points if all 5 modes of transportation is taken: Ferry, Friendship, Monorail, Bus, Train- No, didn't take ferry this trip.

Total: 0

Miscellaneous:

5 for no blisters- 5

5 for nothing forgotten- how about shoes?: 0

5 for a character photo- 7 Dwarves, Jafar: 5

10 for the Party Pentafecta- yes: 10

5 point for ridiculousness – yes, ample amounts: 5

10 points for extra magic because of hat- yes: 10

10 points for each pool Steppe dips into: 10

Total: 40

Grand Total: 353

Therefore, our 1st Place Winner is @Chrystmasangel who was only 3 points off! ZOWIE!!

party:party:party:

And our 2nd Place Winner is mom3sonstt with only 5 points off the mark. ZAM!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I will say, that without the Hidden Mickeys factored in Poolrat nailed it at 330. Not bad AT ALL! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thank you EVERYONE who played. I hope it was fun watching the trip unfold. And, once again, to all who bothered to comment, encouraged me in this crazy journey of becoming a Nurse, who cheered me up, who vicariously went to Disney through my eyes… THANK YOU!! You mean the world to me! When I have the first chapter written, you can join in on:

"Yet Another Alphabetical Approach to A Steppe Into Adventure!!"

I’ll post a link here, PM those who are regulars, and generally make known its existence. Because I think it's fun to have such happy participation, I would love to send everyone who is listed here (the 16 from the Big Contest) a little something. If you would like that little token of heartfelt appreciation, please PM me your addie and I will get that out after I return from Africa. I will try to do better than last time when I brought home petrified camel turds, as @glennbo123 likes to refer to them as. ;)

If you care to stick around, I will be doing a brief Bonus (Few) Chapter(s) on the Keys vacation time we had immediately after we left Disney. Loads of wildlife photos promised.

Sincerely,

Your Most Grateful and Benevolent Queen Steppe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter