ABD China changes?

Has anyone been notified of cancellations yet?
What options were given if you were cancelled by ABD?
What if you had a trip not in China but have flights to an ABD trip that stopped in China and Delta and American cancelled those flights, would ABD allow you to cancel or just make you change your flights to not go through China?

I would imagine guests would need to change flights. If airlines are cancelling, guests will receive refunds from those flights to apply to other flights.

If Delta cancelled until April 30, that impacts a lot of travelers to the other areas as well. Would think Disney would follow and cancel trips that involved China or China layover flights in the area even for other Asia trips?

Our final payment is due TOMORROW for our May 30th ABD China trip ...still trying to figure out what to do. Insurance said "fear of health crisis", cancellation of all flights and Level 4 travel advisory not covered under the insurance. lol I think we may just stay with it and trust Disney to "do the right thing" and cancel if we will not be safe. Or I can pray others cancel, so there are not enough travelers and the trip is cancelled. Anyone else booked on that trip? Any thoughts? Stressed!

I buy travel insurance with "cancel for any reason" clause. Do you have ABD insurance or other travel insurance? I have a trip to ABD Asia this summer and won't cancel unless canceled by ABD or the airlines.

Our final payment is due TOMORROW for our May 30th ABD China trip ...still trying to figure out what to do. Insurance said "fear of health crisis", cancellation of all flights and Level 4 travel advisory not covered under the insurance. lol I think we may just stay with it and trust Disney to "do the right thing" and cancel if we will not be safe. Or I can pray others cancel, so there are not enough travelers and the trip is cancelled. Anyone else booked on that trip? Any thoughts? Stressed!
That's a hard call. I'd think about moving your deposit to another trip. If you pay in full, then you've committed a large amount of money if ABD does not cancel, but you don't want to go. Have you already purchased airfare? If so, I'd talk to the airline and see what they can do for you.

Sayhello

Such a bummer. I *loved* the China trip, and I'm sure you've put a ton of time into planning. I hate that this is happening to people. I'm really shocked that with basically all US airlines cancelling flights and the US banning foreign nationals from entering and forcing american's into 14-day quarantine if they've travelled in China that there is even a question from ABD's point of view for the Spring trips at minimum. I'm assuming you've been in touch with ABD and they haven't been helpful? I like @sayhello's suggestion of maybe moving to a later date in the summer? If that's not feasible, I guess you have to decide whether you would be comfortable going even if ABD doesn't cancel? It's so hard to project! Hugs on your decision!

Do you mind letting us know what insurance you have that will not cover this? We want to make sure to stay clear of that one! Thank you. This is just such a stressful situation.

I can't believe Disney has not reached out to you knowing that it is a Level 4 travel advisory. Did you book flights yet? Also call them up to find out how many people are on your trip. Maybe they might cancel if you don't have the right amount.

I know certain airlines say they are not flying there anymore. United airlines will go to China still for Hong Kong. I'm curious if you call Disney and ask them to book flights for you, how that conversation will go now that airlines are not flying in to certain areas.

Be prepared for them to try to make you switch to a different itinerary since I don't think they want to refund customers. But if you switch itineraries, will your travel insurance go to the new one?

Be prepared for them to try to make you switch to a different itinerary since I don't think they want to refund customers. But if you switch itineraries, will your travel insurance go to the new one?
Yes, it will, as long as they haven't made a claim on it, and notify the insurance company of the change within whatever the company's timeframe is (usually like 2 weeks). I've done this before.

Sayhello

Do you mind letting us know what insurance you have that will not cover this? We want to make sure to stay clear of that one! Thank you. This is just such a stressful situation.
I talked to ABD Travel Insurance and TravelGuard. This isn’t a covered reason under any insurance we could find.

Its sad that ABD seems like they're actually putting up a fight about giving people refunds/giving people a hard time about insurance claims. You would think as such a big global corporation they wouldn't want to risk the PR or liability of having guests fall sick on one of these trips. It would be devastating to ABD....I just can't understand why they haven't cancelled the Spring trips.

I buy travel insurance with "cancel for any reason" clause. Do you have ABD insurance or other travel insurance? I have a trip to ABD Asia this summer and won't cancel unless canceled by ABD or the airlines.
We can purchase the ABD insurance with the cancel for any reason cause - but it’s $2800. I’m with you - the only way we’d cancel is if the airlines or ABD cancelled - so we probably won’t add that insurance due to cost and TravelGuard has the same protection- except we don’t have the “cancel for any reason” and it’s a lot cheaper - $850. There are 3 of us traveling. This is a big trip we’ve been planning - as we host students from China. We’ve had them for all of high school and they are graduating this year. We were doing ABD and visiting their families after our trip. Lots of moving parts....
Airfare is booked through Delta....if ABD cancels - I think they’ll help us with the fees - if Delta doesn’t. It’s all so hard!!! Also, I don’t think ABD canceling the trip is a covered reason for our flights. Lol. I laugh - but really want to cry.

We always get insurance because of the nature of my profession sometimes vacation dates can change at the last second. However, the cancel for any reason (which means you get 75% travel credit, not money back) should be for your own personal reasons...not for a global health crisis.

Its sad that ABD seems like they're actually putting up a fight about giving people refunds/giving people a hard time about insurance claims. You would think as such a big global corporation they wouldn't want to risk the PR or liability of having guests fall sick on one of these trips. It would be devastating to ABD....I just can't understand why they haven't cancelled the Spring trips.
ABD does not make the decisions about whether a claim is covered or not. That decision is made by the Insurance company that administers the policy. ABD could always decide to compensate the person anyways, but it would not come from the insurance company.

I don't understand why they haven't cancelled the Spring trips yet, either.
We can purchase the ABD insurance with the cancel for any reason cause - but it’s $2800. I’m with you - the only way we’d cancel is if the airlines or ABD cancelled - so we probably won’t add that insurance due to cost and TravelGuard has the same protection- except we don’t have the “cancel for any reason” and it’s a lot cheaper - $850. There are 3 of us traveling. This is a big trip we’ve been planning - as we host students from China. We’ve had them for all of high school and they are graduating this year. We were doing ABD and visiting their families after our trip. Lots of moving parts....
Airfare is booked through Delta....if ABD cancels - I think they’ll help us with the fees - if Delta doesn’t. It’s all so hard!!! Also, I don’t think ABD canceling the trip is a covered reason for our flights. Lol. I laugh - but really want to cry.
Folks should just know you don't get everything back if you have "cancel for any reason coverage". It usually only covers around 75% or so of your costs. But still way better than 0%.

In the past, ABD's policy has definitely been to help pay the fees to modify your airfare if they cancel. I would assume it still is.

Sayhello

Last edited:
We always get insurance because of the nature of my profession sometimes vacation dates can change at the last second. However, the cancel for any reason (which means you get 75% travel credit, not money back) should be for your own personal reasons...not for a global health crisis.
Agreed!

Yes, it will, as long as they haven't made a claim on it, and notify the insurance company of the change within whatever the company's timeframe is (usually like 2 weeks). I've done this before.

Sayhello
Thank you! That is good to know!

It depends on the policy. Most independent insurance policies (not purchased from the provider) give you a 75% refund. They can't issue you a travel credit.

Sayhello

It depends on the policy. Most independent insurance policies (not purchased from the provider) give you a 75% refund. They can't issue you a travel credit.

Sayhello

Ok. I was under the impression that ABD's cancel for any reason was a 75% travel voucher, not cash. Which isn't a bad deal I guess, all things considered.

Is anyone aware of what ABD's competition within their market segment is doing? In the family adventure travel market segment, I've never seen ABD as a first to market leader, but more as a follower. Perhaps if none of their competitors are cancelling, they will not. If their competitors start cancelling then they will. I don't mean to imply this is right, sometimes it is good to be first, but based on past behavior this does not appear to be ABD's strategy. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Is anyone aware of what ABD's competition within their market segment is doing? In the family adventure travel market segment, I've never seen ABD as a first to market leader, but more as a follower. Perhaps if none of their competitors are cancelling, they will not. If their competitors start cancelling then they will. I don't mean to imply this is right, sometimes it is good to be first, but based on past behavior this does not appear to be ABD's strategy. Just some food for thought.
Good point. I agree. Curious what A&K and Tauck are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter