Actual current cost of Obama’s for specific date

Nor are the prices in a place like Phoenix representative of those of a resort destination.

??? A reference was made comparing Disney prices to the outside world. To me that meant in comparison to similar restaurants in typical cities around the nation. Yes, other resort destinations have high prices as well but if a comparison is made I still find Disney to be higher priced and lower quality.

??? A reference was made comparing Disney prices to the outside world. To me that meant in comparison to similar restaurants in typical cities around the nation. Yes, other resort destinations have high prices as well but if a comparison is made I still find Disney to be higher priced and lower quality.

You can't very well object to comparing prices in New York and then advocate comparing prices in a place like Phoenix. New York is far far closer to comparing like for like in regards to prices than is Phoenix.

not possible to make out like bandits on the DD

1) MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY people have made an analysis/comparison.
2) Unless you order the MOST expensive item on every single menu at every single eatery, DDP does not pay-back financially.
3) Period.
4) Period.
5) Period.
6) DIS-boards even made their own study, and came to the same conclusion.
NOTE1:
. . . Who would/could imagine that Disney would do ANYTHING that benefits the guest financially ?!?!?!?!?!
. . . Give me a break!

NOTE2:
. . . Behind the Concierge Desk, we used to joke to one another how guests were begin taken advantage of (ie: "being ripped off") by buying any DDP.
. . . We knew the menu retail prices and approx. profit, and we NEVER saw a true benefit for a guest.
. . . When we queried the kitchen staff, we confirmed our figures & math.

You can't very well object to comparing prices in New York and then advocate comparing prices in a place like Phoenix. New York is far far closer to comparing like for like in regards to prices than is Phoenix.

I took the OP's reference to mean Disney restaurants aren't any higher priced than comparable type restaurants outside Disney World. Meaning compared to cities across the nation. I didn't realize that comparison was narrow focused only to other resort destinations. If we compare Disney to San Francisco then Disney is a bargain!!

1) MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY people have made an analysis/comparison.
2) Unless you order the MOST expensive item on every single menu at every single eatery, DDP does not pay-back financially.
3) Period.
4) Period.
5) Period.
6) DIS-boards even made their own study, and came to the same conclusion.

I've done my own study each year. And each year the DDP saves me money and not everyone in our party orders the most expensive item every time. But we also do not order the least expensive items nor dine at lower priced restaurants. We also do not use snack credits for a bottle of water.

You are correct that Disney prices DDP to make money. The DDP is priced such that some people lose money, some people come out ahead but on average it's close to being a wash. It's also most likely true that if not on DDP a typical person would not eat as much food, not as many snacks, dessert for lunch etc. Disney is then getting some people to buy more food than they would otherwise. It really comes down to each individual and what they enjoy ordering and where. For us we come out ahead although not as well as years ago when DDP included appetizer and tip.

Your blanket statement above is wrong...Period.

We are discussing a different topic than the one that the OP (who BTW is a really good sport :) ) intended, but I honestly think most people buy the Disney Dining Plan for convenience and not with the expectation of saving money.

I do think that with careful planning in certain situations, you can save a few bucks on DDP, but most people aren’t that into careful planning on vacation. It is an easy way to treat family members by covering an essential part of their vacation.

It is not possible to make out like bandits on the DDP, care to show your math?

Happy to. We have the DxDP for 4 parks in 4 days, two adults, two kids (12 credits total). And before you ask, we are not eating more than we normally pay out of pocket to do. We always eat lunch and dinner at table service restaurants: always one character meal per day (we eat light at buffets; it is all about the characters and ambiance for us, which we value more than doing dessert packages for the evening shows because our kids have an early bedtime), and then a nice dinner with three courses. We like taking out time out of the heat, and are not park commandos. Obviously, we are probably pretty atypical as not everyone likes to eat at expensive time consuming restaurants two meals a day, but we are on vacation, and it is a highlight of the trip for us. The below amounts are after tax, since that is included in the plan.

Epcot Day
Biergarten lunch $35.15 per adult /19.17 per kid = $ 108.64
Akershus dinner $62.84 / $37.28 = $200.24

HS day
H&V Fantasmic lunch $61.77 / $37.28 = $198.10
Yachtsman dinner (2 credits) Adult $13 and $19 apps, $63 and $50 entrees, $16 and $10 dessert = $85.5 per adult / kids $30 each = $231 + tax = $246.02

AK day
Tusker House ROL lunch $58.58 / $35.15 = $187.46
Tiffins dinner (2 credits) Adult $14 app each, $54 and $43 entrees, $12 and $10 dessert = $73.5 per adult / kids $22 each = $191 + tax = $203.42

MK day
CRT (2 credits) $81.63 / $48.32 = $259.90
1900 PF dinner $52.19 / $30.89 = $166.16

Departure day
Cape May Cafe bfast $34.08 / $20.24 = $108.64

Alcohol (we often have a glass of wine or a cocktail, so I am estimating that saves on average $10 per adult per meal given variable pricing, but that is probably conservative given Disney drink prices) = $ 180

Total cost out of pocket: $1678.58 food + $180 alcohol = $1,858.58
Total dining plan cost: $1,249.36
Savings: at least $609.22 (not including the 32 snacks that we also get for "free" by adding the plan, which is at least another $100-150 value depending on what we get)

The dining plan, regular or deluxe, might be good if you do a lot of character meals and buffets and if you like a $15 dessert at every meal, but I don't think the "typical" family does like to do a character meal everyday and have desserts at every meal. To many, it is just too much food and they would never order it, unless they were getting it "free" on the dining plan.

The dining plan, regular or deluxe, might be good if you do a lot of character meals and buffets and if you like a $15 dessert at every meal, but I don't think the "typical" family does like to do a character meal everyday and have desserts at every meal. To many, it is just too much food and they would never order it, unless they were getting it "free" on the dining plan.

Right, but when you pay for a buffet or prix fixe like CRT, you have to pay for a fixed cost, so it is not like we are paying extra for dessert. We only have dessert at a table service meal, once a day. I'll wager a lot of people have dessert once a day on vacation.

Happy to. We have the DxDP for 4 parks in 4 days, two adults, two kids (12 credits total). And before you ask, we are not eating more than we normally pay out of pocket to do. We always eat lunch and dinner at table service restaurants: always one character meal per day (we eat light at buffets; it is all about the characters and ambiance for us, which we value more than doing dessert packages for the evening shows because our kids have an early bedtime), and then a nice dinner with three courses. We like taking out time out of the heat, and are not park commandos. Obviously, we are probably pretty atypical as not everyone likes to eat at expensive time consuming restaurants two meals a day, but we are on vacation, and it is a highlight of the trip for us. The below amounts are after tax, since that is included in the plan.

Epcot Day
Biergarten lunch $35.15 per adult /19.17 per kid = $ 108.64
Akershus dinner $62.84 / $37.28 = $200.24

HS day
H&V Fantasmic lunch $61.77 / $37.28 = $198.10
Yachtsman dinner (2 credits) Adult $13 and $19 apps, $63 and $50 entrees, $16 and $10 dessert = $85.5 per adult / kids $30 each = $231 + tax = $246.02

AK day
Tusker House ROL lunch $58.58 / $35.15 = $187.46
Tiffins dinner (2 credits) Adult $14 app each, $54 and $43 entrees, $12 and $10 dessert = $73.5 per adult / kids $22 each = $191 + tax = $203.42

MK day
CRT (2 credits) $81.63 / $48.32 = $259.90
1900 PF dinner $52.19 / $30.89 = $166.16

Departure day
Cape May Cafe bfast $34.08 / $20.24 = $108.64

Alcohol (we often have a glass of wine or a cocktail, so I am estimating that saves on average $10 per adult per meal given variable pricing, but that is probably conservative given Disney drink prices) = $ 180

Total cost out of pocket: $1678.58 food + $180 alcohol = $1,858.58
Total dining plan cost: $1,249.36
Savings: at least $609.22 (not including the 32 snacks that we also get for "free" by adding the plan, which is at least another $100-150 value depending on what we get)

H&V Fantasmic package is up to $61.77 for that slop?

Ok since we are onto the dining plan and I’m op i’ll chime in.

For our family it has become a waste of $. We use to live it and feel it was a good value. However, as the kids have gotten older we don’t find it comes close to being a wise choice. The last time we did it we had a bunch of qs meals left over. We eat breakfast in the room then try to eat a late lunch/ early dinner and a snack later. We’re almost always too full after dinner for any goodies at that time. And sometimes I get appetizers as meals. At the SciFi I had onion rings and chicken tenders, both apps for my meal.

Oh my, that had to be an auto correct. Geesh, not sure how I missed that. Pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to afford it.
You are welcome for the laughs. Lol

I saw that list that is a sticky but I wasn’t sure if that would be the actual price for a weekday in the summer. Thanks!
Darn autocorrect! At least I’m not the only one, lol.
FF6BD038-2922-4ABC-86DD-D4D9BCD5487F.png

Right, but when you pay for a buffet or prix fixe like CRT, you have to pay for a fixed cost, so it is not like we are paying extra for dessert. We only have dessert at a table service meal, once a day. I'll wager a lot of people have dessert once a day on vacation.

Yes, I am sure people have one dessert a day but our family never orders dessert after we have eaten a big dinner. We grab a dessert/snack in one of the parks during the day. To each his own but unless the dp is "free" it was never a good value for our family. Years ago free dining was worth it, not really anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter