"add ons" at DVC

toto

Earning My Ears
We are considering buying into DVC. Everything I read suggests that one should buy into the resort one intends to stay the most. However, many people talk about adding on points at other resorts in the future. Does that mean that if I decide to upgrade my number of points I will be obligated to buy into or stay at a different resort for a portion of my vacation?:confused:

All points can be used at ANY resort. The only difference between home resort and the others is that you can make ressies 11-months out as opposed to only 7-months for your non-home resort. This is why people recommend buying where you want to stay the most often as you get first choice of reservations.

If you did add-on's at another resort, they would be helpful for ressies there as they would qualify for the 11-month window.

Suppose you had 150 points at OKW and 50 points at BWV's. Your usual stay costs 150 points. You could bank/borrow your BWV points such that every third year you'd have 150 points to use, so stay 2-years at OKW, and the 3rd at BWV, then repeat this. Of course, that 3rd year you would still have your 150 OKW points so you could make an 'extra' vacation, or stay longer, or in a better villa for the next two years.

This is just one example of how it can be done.

P.S, if you're going to make ressies at 7-months, then you can use any of the points any way you want. No need to bank or borrow at all. Of course, in this situation no single home resort has any advantage over any other as far as ressies, so you might want to then just consider the cost of annual dues. (They are different among the different resorts.)

Bill's example is exactly what we have done. Our original purchase was at BWV, this is because most of our vacations are to WDW, thus we wanted a resort on WDW property. We just added 55 points on at HH. This way using banking and borrowing, every 3 years I can have 165 points to use for a studio at HH in the summer. (Summer reservations at HH are hard to get without the 11 mo window)

Members who want to add on sometimes do not have the ability to buy points at their home resorts ie BWV and OKW. These being sold out resorts if your intending to buy more pts you would have to consider a resale at these resorts or buy the add on at WVL, HH or Vero. ONce BCV comes on board then they will be able to buy there. It is of course important to make that initial purchase at the resort where you are going to want to stay.
I have sent you a private message with some of our personal experiences with points and different resorts.
Click on the pm button to retrieve the message.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter