Adobe Photoshop and CS

a better way to do it and then you don't have to go back into history to erase any mistakes.

Duplicate layer by clicking on the turned triangle on the layers pallet
go to Image, adjustments, desaturate
Go back over to the layers pallet and click on the small square with the circle inside it on the bottom.
use your paintbrush set to black to paint in what you want in color, if you paint something by mistake, then you just switch to white and paint over it again and you are all set!

Thank you for all your help. It is very easy but WOW!! time consuming.
Here is a trial run:
hdltest.jpg

I recently bought a Sony H5 and absolutely love it- have been taking a ton of pictures lately and am really getting into it. The software that came with it allows you to saturate/unsaturate and change the brightness/sharpness. I have another program that allows me to zoom/crop but I really want to do more.

I looked up Photoshop because I saw on the Photoshop vs paintshop thread that it really is the ultimate in software.. but almost 600 DOLLARS? Are they kidding? Is it really worth that?? I mean, heck- that's more than I paid for my camera!

I'd love to play around in an editing program and I'm not afraid to read up and learn the software, but is the old version of photoshop just as good?

Pretty much I'm asking- is this worth the money, and is there something out there almost equal in features that might be a more economical option?

I know the earlier thread had some other recommendations but I don't want to just crop and remove red eye from Disney pics.

TIA! :)

Well, it's a professional tool. Why not try the downloadable free trial of Photoshop Elements - it's got a lot of what Photoshop can do, with pretty much the same user interface, but at a fraction of the price.

regards,
/alan

We have Photoshop Elements and find that it does everthing that we need and more. I think I bought it bundled with Premiere Elements and it was less than $100.

I agree that Photoshop is really expensive, but it does have a ton of features and potential (with plugins, etc.). However you might look into Photoshop Elements to start out if you are just trying things out and learning. It has a lot of the basic features of photoshop and can ease you into learning about their software.

When I say basic features, I mean most of the ones I would use as a newbie. I'm not sure what features in the full photoshop I would need/use that isn't in Elements. Perhaps someone could comment on that.

The other thing is that if you do get your hands on a copy of photoshop once for the full price, you can pay the upgrade price thereafter and it's much more manageable.

Reviews of Photoshop Elements 4.0 seem very negative; folks seem to recommend v3 instead.

Can you be creative with Elements (for instance, change colors, add captions), or is it more for catelogueing and general light fixes, cropping, etc?

I have an older version, PS7. It was eligable for the CS2 upgrade. $150 at best Buy and they are never the cheapest. You can get someones old PS7 on ebay for cheap.

But elements does a considerable amount. Especialy with the "Hidden elements" book and CD.

Mikeeee

Yep, Photoshop is expensive. And if graphic arts is your thing, it's worth every last single penny!

PoohJen said:
Can you be creative with Elements (for instance, change colors, add captions), or is it more for catelogueing and general light fixes, cropping, etc?

You can do a LOT with Elements. Here's an example:

http://www.thepotters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/temp/KMK-1_copy.jpg

I've blurred the background (some of the performers were under 16), then chagned the image size and added the caption. In another version, I changed my dance partner's skirt to be lilac, but the original blue was better. All of this in Elements 4.

Elements 3 allowed something called "actions", which can be useful, but 4 has other useful things like simple-to-use redeye reduction. Nothing's perfect, I suppose.

regards,
/alan

For everyday nonprofessional photography Elements is enough.

A few years ago I bought a camera from a major manufacturer and they had an offer on the professional version for half price. I passed on it. Couldn't justify the cost. Elements does everything I want it to do.

depends on how computer savey you are but i think photoshop is hard to learn...eventually i want to purchase one of the elements but right now have arcsoft and nero( like nero a little better as it has a noise fix right in it) both of which have layers so i can break into a more detailed shop gradually...so far they are able to do what i want( i however can't do what i want but that is another story.) arcsoft came with my camera, nero came with my lightscribe dvd burner so don't know the prices

I'm going to have to check out Elements. I know I don't use everything in PS CS2, and I really don't want to buy CS3 when it comes out if I don't have to. If Elements will suit my needs, I'll gladly make the switch.

Anyone know how it handles compositing?

alan said:
In another version, I changed my dance partner's skirt to be lilac, but the original blue was better. All of this in Elements 4.

That be you, Alan?! Very handsome!

Janet, yeah, arc soft came w/ my xt too, but doesn't seem to have creative stuff, like making pic b&w and then coloring one aspect. However, I have't really explored it in depth yet.

If you can get your hands on the reviewer's version of PSE 4, it's only US$20.

as far as Photoshop goes, well movie posters, DVD menu, DVD covers, they all are made using Photoshop, so yeah, it's the ultimate and de-facto standard in the industry.

PoohJen said:
That be you, Alan?! Very handsome!

Janet, yeah, arc soft came w/ my xt too, but doesn't seem to have creative stuff, like making pic b&w and then coloring one aspect. However, I have't really explored it in depth yet.

i don't know about the selective coloring thing...i'm still trying to figure out how to work with a stinking layer...hence no need for me to spend more money at this time :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i started reading the instruction manual a couple days ago and realized i couldn't get the clone to work cause i was hitting "space click" ( for days) instead of "shift click."..way to much air between my ears

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to look into Photoshop Elements- does anyone know if version 3 or 4 is better? I know PoohJen said the reviews weren't so good for 4, but the few websites I looked at rated it higher than 3.

I'll have to do some more research. I think Photoshop is a little over my head (and my wallet) ;)

Thanks guys ... it was my dd who is the OP!! I have been DYING to learn how to do this and now I can!!! I am SO excited!!! :thumbsup2

Boy does it cramp up your hand and almost makes you go blind!!! ... but I LOVE the results!! :cool1:

Only thing is ... there's not enough hours in the day for all this playing!!!

Well, off to see my guy JON BON JOVI!!!

Sonno said:
Anyone know how it handles compositing?

Hi,

By "compositing" do you mean blending multiple images into one?

If so then it's not bad. You do have layer blending modes, you do have graduated fills to transparent, you do have layer masks.

elements_blending_modes.png

You do NOT have quick mask mode. You do have a "magic extractor".

In other fields, you do have a very effective red-eye reducer and a much simpler straighten tool where you tell the program what should be a horizontal or vertical line, and it rotates and optionally crops the image appropriately.

You do not have actions. You do not have curves, though a third-party plugin has now provided that. You do not have scripting.

Not sure what else to say,

regards,
/alan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter