Adobe Photoshop and CS

geetey

Queen of the Smilies
I took this picture while zipping along the TTA in Magic Kingdom. My sister wants a poster sized print but wants the dark ledge overhead taken out. (I agree). However, when I try cropping, I can't keep the correct ratio without having some of the ledge in the picture or without the castle being too far to the left.

If anyone would like to take a shot or offer a suggestion as to how they think the image should be cropped or improved? I would love to see it! I know I need to work on my photoshop skills.

IMG_0692.jpg

geetey said:
I took this picture while zipping along the TTA in Magic Kingdom. My sister wants a poster sized print but wants the dark ledge overhead taken out. (I agree). However, when I try cropping, I can't keep the correct ratio without having some of the ledge in the picture or without the castle being too far to the left.

If anyone would like to take a shot or offer a suggestion as to how they think the image should be cropped or improved? I would love to see it! I know I need to work on my photoshop skills.
If you use the crop tool in photoshop enter the ratio you want to print at in the toolbar but leave DPI blank(to avoid resampling), you will now keep the exact ratio as you crop.

What would I do?

I would do a little cropping and a little cloning(using patch tool). I will give you an example after I get home, Have a 6pm meeting(Pacific time) and I have no photoshop here.

Ya, don't crop. Add the sky in where the black ledge is. Sky is one of the easiest texture to clone.
Let us see what sonno comes back with.
Mikeeee

ok Sonno cropped it. I was thinking in another direction.

IMG_0692 copy.jpg

Thankfully the corner vignetting was equal on both sides. It's a little blurry though... lemme mess with this some more...

geetey said:

IMG_0692.jpg

ok Sonno cropped it. I was thinking in another direction.

I cloned out the ledge, then lightened the foreground with a very rough selection. I think I like your original dark version better. But what do you think of the cloning. Leaving the image full size makes the scene more massive.

74095945-L.jpg

Mikeeee

These are my interpretations of your pictures. Which one do you like most? I may be able to do it for you (if you provide me with the high-res file).

original
interpretation1.jpg

dusk-effect
interpretation2.jpg

silhouette effect
interpretation3.jpg

silhouette effect with dusk effect
interpretation4.jpg

I have a question for all of you who use photoshop and other digital developing software. What version do you use and why do you like/dislike it. I'm thinking of purchasing a software program but I leary of "breaking the bank".

Thanks for all of your help! :teeth:

At present, I'm still using Picasa, freeware available from Google, but considering moving up to either Photoshop Elements 4 or Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006. A trial version is available on both of those, if you want to try them out. It appears to me that PS is more comprehensive, but DI is a little easier to figure out. Also, PS is a big program, and takes a while to load, and runs slowly, at least on my Dell 4300S. Have not tried it on my home PC, which is a much more powerful rig.

~YEKCIM

I am a big fan of Paint SHop Pro X it will basically do everything that photo shop does, for a lot less money, and the learning curve is easier....

you can download a 30 day free trial from corel.

or right now you can buy it from amazon, and get it for 29 dollars after rebates...

I use Photoshop, it is the industry standard, has the most support (plug-ins, actions, etc.) and offers the most features.

Photoshop also has the steepest learning curve and I highly suggest at least one class (local community college) to get to know even the basics.

My needs may be greater than some, I use mostly RAW and process the images a lot with Photoshop (as opposed to JPG which is processed in the camera). I use layers and layer masks, gradients, blurs, sharpening, effects, paths, and noise reduction, all of which run within Photoshop.

If you really need all this there is probably no substitute but it is expensive and time consuming, I won't gloss over those points. If you are in school and can get the educational version it is a bargain, the only limitation is you are not supposed to use it for profit.
Profit? What's that? ;)

boB

I use CS2 which I love. I use layers and more layers so photoshop is the way to go. I use a lot of RAW images and photoshop will process them without a problem. I also love the cloning and healing tools. They are fantastic for baby drool and bumps and bruises.

Been using the Photoshop series since about 5.0(could have been 4.0).

I purchased a hard drive many years ago that came with Photoshop 5.0 LE for free, and I have been hooked ever since.

I would pay the full price for ACR alone, even though I now feel that CAPTURE ONE PRO delivers better detail from raw files. Raw processing is the real deal, even Canon states(on their training page) "Image processing with a personal computer yields higher image quality than with the camera's internal processing."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter