Adult ordering off of Child's menu at sit down restaurants?

I love Mickey Waffles, cheaper on kids menu. But this is counter service.

I'm not a picky eater at all but I find the portions on the breakfast bounty platters they serve at many resort QS to be out of control. The kid Mickey Waffle portion is just right for me so I tend to get that for breakfast.

I'm going to ask this: why would you want anything off a kids menu? chicken nuggets, burger, etc. yuck. I'd go with the suggestion to do an app instead.

So true! There aren't too many places where I can get child size portions of what's typically offered at the restaurant. I always use the example of not seeing any Moroccan food on the child's menu at Tangerine Cafe. Often, at TS, appetizers are the way to go.

I've always heard, read, and experienced that it is NO problem for an adult to purchase a child's portion at a child's price. (I've seen this primarily encouraged for people who are on a diet, or needing to eat smaller portions.)

Where I live in the suburbs of NYC that's not normally the case in most diners and restaurants. Some places care more than others depending on their business model.

Children's meals are usually a compromise around here. There are high overhead costs and a slim profit margin on child meals. They're offered as enticement so families don't avoid eating out because of a high cost attached for their kid's small appetite. Restaurants can offer the very slim kid meal profit margin because the higher profit margin on the parents offsets it.

Early Bird specials are similar. They're offered at a smaller profit margin but off-peak. Restaurants usually can't afford to allow them during peak hours because that window makes the bulk of profits that enable them to survive.

A place that relies on less expensive menu items and high turnover has an easier time absorbing a lower average cost per head. Capacity restrictions make places more reliant on a higher average cost per head, they'll need to make up for all the empty seats not contributing to overhead costs.

Last edited:

I would think you probably could but why subject yourself to macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, etc. I've never been overly impressed with the usual kid menus.

My last trip I was on a soft food diet. I was able to order many food items à la carte.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter