Adult ordering off of Child's menu at sit down restaurants?

It’s double portion for double price so kids meal must have been $10,they are usually pretty clear about how this works.

She just said she would take care of it, no explanation. If I were told I would pay $40 for two bowls of Mac and cheese I would have said no. It appeared on the receipt as two chicken something entrees. Possibly she selected something expensive in the system and had it subbed for Mac and cheese.
Worse, it was obviously the powdered mix Mac and cheese. (I still love Yak and Yeti!)

She just said she would take care of it, no explanation. If I were told I would pay $40 for two bowls of Mac and cheese I would have said no. It appeared on the receipt as two chicken something entrees. Possibly she selected something expensive in the system and had it subbed for Mac and cheese.
Worse, it was obviously the powdered mix Mac and cheese. (I still love Yak and Yeti!)
I just checked the Yak and Yeti menu, and the least expensive main course is $18.99, most expensive is $31.99, so $20 is actually on the low price side.

I order from the kids‘ menu regularly at TS locations and have never had an issue. The portions are much more suited to my preferences. The servers have always offered the sides and drink that come with the kids’ meals as well, at every location.

I have only ordered from the kids’ menu at Disney-owned locations. I agree that third-party locations might not allow it.

Can you if you are on the dining plan? I'm a super plain eater (with Celiac's). I know they can work around my allergies, but most times I'd be great with the kids grilled chicken

Can you if you are on the dining plan? I'm a super plain eater (with Celiac's). I know they can work around my allergies, but most times I'd be great with the kids grilled chicken
Generally you can usually order whatever you want it just may change how you are charged. On the dining plan I'm sure they'll let you order off the children's menu, but you'll be charged an adult credit which isn't exactly efficient when it comes to cost. That being said, Disney is great with allergies and they should give you options off the adult menu or modify something from the adult menu to suit your needs. Usually the chef will come out and speak to you about any concerns you may have. Just FYI so you know you don't need to limit yourself to the kid's menu!

As a PP mentioned, reduced capacity may affect the server's ability to allow adults access to TS child menus. I'd go in with a back up plan just in case. Appetizer menu or splitting a meal could work otherwise.

We have been able to order items off the child menu BUT they came at an adult sized portion and the adult sized price.

I've always heard, read, and experienced that it is NO problem for an adult to purchase a child's portion at a child's price. (I've seen this primarily encouraged for people who are on a diet, or needing to eat smaller portions.)

We have been able to order items off the child menu BUT they came at an adult sized portion and the adult sized price.

If that's the case, it would defeat the purpose of me ordering child's meals. I do it because I have a very small appetite. And unfortunately, since I'm solo, ordering and splitting one meal between two people isn't an option. I don't want adult sized portions.

If that's the case, it would defeat the purpose of me ordering child's meals. I do it because I have a very small appetite. And unfortunately, since I'm solo, ordering and splitting one meal between two people isn't an option. I don't want adult sized portions.
Yes, but there are many people who see it as a way to save money. There are a lot of restaurants where I live that have age limits on the menu for kids items for the same reason. Rarely have I found that the kids portions are significantly smaller and that’s that case at Disney as well, however they are willing to charge less with the assumption that adults will be ordering adult meals to to offset the cheaper kid’s meal. Honestly I don’t resent this policy at all 🤷‍♀️

My suggestion would be make it clear to the server that you want the child size portion and not to up-size it to an adult portion.

I have no problem in not "cleaning" my plate. A while ago, restaurants went on a kick in up-sizing their portions. It is not my fault that they did this.

Since you're solo, if you plan to order children's meals you'd be better off skipping the dining plan, since the adult dining plan cost per meal far exceeds the price of a child's meal. Even if you have free dining, it will likely work out cheaper for you to take a room only discount and pay out of pocket for meals than to pay rack rate for the room and get free dining, since the "value" of your dining is far less per day than the average adult.

In my experience, there is no problem ordering off the children's menu when paying OOP unless it is an all you can eat location.
Right! When you are not on the DP and paying with your own money, then you should be able to eat what you want. I do it and have had no problem. I have a smaller appetite and can't eat all that food.

Totally agree!
pat some places they have unique kid offerings. But I’ll stick w an app or 2 if I don’t care for an entree

Our daughter has always been picky. If there's not an adult option, we always ask about a child's plate. And she's in her twenties now. We don't do table service that often, but have been accomodated at Epcot, Universal and Sea World. We always offer to have them charge it as an adult. If they decline, we tip as if she'd ordered an adult meal. We don't do the dining plan, so it's always cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter