• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Pre-Trip thread... I might as well join the bandwagon!

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
So, as the title says, I'm posting a pre-trip thread (hardly a "report" yet!) to squee about my upcoming Alaska/Taming the Last Frontier ABD that I am leaving for in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!!! :cool1:

I'm starting to sift through my clothing, picking stuff for warm weather, layers I can use with them for the cooler weather, socks, underwear, jeans, sweats, hats, earwarmers, travel sized cosmetics & pharmaceuticals, the whole 9 yards!

I have to wear a compression stocking on one leg due to a blood clot I had back in January, and, of course, I have managed to totally lose one of them. I have a week & a half to tear the house apart & find it! Plus, since I got my pre-trip package SO far in advance of my trip, I have managed to lose the suggestion booklet that came with it... so must search for that, too! At least I *do* know where the backpack and luggage handle thingy are. (And no, the booklet is not in the backpack, I checked! Twice!)

New walking shoes, properly worn in: Check!
Hiking shoes, tried with compression stocking: Check!
Knit hat that covers my ears: Check!
Warm gloves for the Kenai Fjords trip: Check!
Spare camera w/batteries in case my beloved Panasonic dies like tksbaskets' Canon did :scared1:: Check!
New iTouch loaded with time-killing apps for the 7-hour flight to Anchorage: Check! (ooo, but I still need to look into an emergency external battery...)

Please, if anyone has ANY suggestions (Bobo912? gayleaboone? Hey, is marcemch back yet????) Anything you really wish you'd brought that you didn't? Anything you brought that you wish you'd left at home?

I'm really starting to get EXCITED now!!!!!! :banana::yay::dance3:

Soon!
Sayhello

I hope this reply doesn't get posted twice - I thought I replied once, but it got lost in cyberland, so will try again.
We are back and starting to feel human again after taking a red eye out of Anchorage and arriving home at 9am this morning. But that did give us a day to play in Anchorage after the trip was over, which we enjoyed, and I'll post more on that later.
Your packing list looks good. As Gayle posted earlier, we did not use any of our summer clothes, except as layers underneath other clothes. The shorts were just put away clean!
One comment - there really aren't any stores to buy toiletries or the such, except near Sophie Station the first day, so if you forget anything, walk down to Safeway and get it before you head out! There are the hotel gift shops in every hotel which have some essentials, but if you forget your razor, as did I, you will be relegated to the yucky hotel single blade type. I'm sure if it was an emergency, the guides and bus driver would have stopped somewhere. The guides and driver were great - you'll enjoy Jesse & Rae.
Another comment, I noticed that the folks that took regular Dramamine were quiet sleepy on the Kenai Fjords boat trip, but those of us who took Mezacline (I hope I spelled that right) were fine. I am quiet prone to seasickness and took it before our trip and did fine, despite some rough patches of water (but NOTHING like the previous trip that Gayle was on). So get Mezacline (generic name) - Dramamine Less Drowsy or Bonine (I think it's behind the counter, but NOT prescription), and start taking it the night before, and you should do fine AND stay awake! The warm hat that won't blow away is essential on that trip and on the raft trip.
Bring your warmest socks for the raft trip as the cold iceberg water does get in the raft, and you have boots on but just your stocking feet underneath. I wore 2 pr of socks, and might have worn three had I known how cold my feet would get, but it never got to the point of misery. A waterproof/wind resistant jacket is a must on both trips (not so much on the jet boat). You won't get wet on the Kenai Fjord trip, but it is windy out there!
I kept a trip report on my notebook computer I had with me, so will just need to review that and will post it soon. Already seeing signs of fall in Alaska, so be prepared for cool temps!

Well, you already know the one thing that I wished I had brought but didn't. And it's on you list. I never needed those two soft, warm fleece sweaters that I brought to layer over my summer clothes, but I wouldn't recommend leaving your warm clothes at home. :) The only other thing I brought too many of was shoes. I think I had 4 paris and I could have gotten by with just my walking shoes. And maybe my one pair of sandals. I like to wear those at the airport because they are easy to remove at security. Oh, and I didn't bring any really warm socks, but I bought some that I really love at the Fred Meyer store that is a very short walk from Sophie Station. They are really soft wool and I picked up a buy two get one free coupon in the store. Sounds like you've got the socks covered, but if you need any extras, Fred Meyer is a good place to get them. You're going to have so much fun!!!

I hope this reply doesn't get posted twice - I thought I replied once, but it got lost in cyberland, so will try again.
We are back and starting to feel human again after taking a red eye out of Anchorage and arriving home at 9am this morning. But that did give us a day to play in Anchorage after the trip was over, which we enjoyed, and I'll post more on that later.
Ah, I'm doing the red eye on the way in. (Not deliberately. My flights kept getting moved later & later, and I get in at 1am -- which will be 5am *my* time!!!) Hope you're mostly recovered! I have 2 post-days set for Anchorage, so I'm looking forward to reading what you did while you were there!

Your packing list looks good. As Gayle posted earlier, we did not use any of our summer clothes, except as layers underneath other clothes. The shorts were just put away clean!
Good to know. Did you wear T-shirts at all? Or warmer tops? Although I have some stuff I can wear under the T-shirts...

One comment - there really aren't any stores to buy toiletries or the such, except near Sophie Station the first day, so if you forget anything, walk down to Safeway and get it before you head out! There are the hotel gift shops in every hotel which have some essentials, but if you forget your razor, as did I, you will be relegated to the yucky hotel single blade type. I'm sure if it was an emergency, the guides and bus driver would have stopped somewhere.
Very good to know! Thanks!

The guides and driver were great - you'll enjoy Jesse & Rae.
Did they say they'd be doing my trip? Cool.

Another comment, I noticed that the folks that took regular Dramamine were quiet sleepy on the Kenai Fjords boat trip, but those of us who took Mezacline (I hope I spelled that right) were fine. I am quiet prone to seasickness and took it before our trip and did fine, despite some rough patches of water (but NOTHING like the previous trip that Gayle was on). So get Mezacline (generic name) - Dramamine Less Drowsy or Bonine (I think it's behind the counter, but NOT prescription), and start taking it the night before, and you should do fine AND stay awake!
This is also good to know. As I've gotten older, I have more & more problems with seasickness. Usually, seabands can handle it, but I really don't want to take any chances. But if something says it can make you drowsy, it usually does for me! I have a doctor's appt tomorrow, I'll have to ask him about that & the Mezacline (or is it Meclizine? I took that a few years ago for vertigo). So the Mezacline would be for which trips? Kenai Fjords & the jet boat? Do you need it for the rafting? Or is it the other way around?

The warm hat that won't blow away is essential on that trip and on the raft trip.
I have the knit hat I bought last year. Pulls down over my ears & has a sun visor. Definitely going in the suitcase!

Bring your warmest socks for the raft trip as the cold iceberg water does get in the raft, and you have boots on but just your stocking feet underneath. I wore 2 pr of socks, and might have worn three had I known how cold my feet would get, but it never got to the point of misery.
I have some fleece socks I can wear over wool socks. Think I'm bringing those!

A waterproof/wind resistant jacket is a must on both trips (not so much on the jet boat). You won't get wet on the Kenai Fjord trip, but it is windy out there!
I have my handy-dandy Eddie Bauer Gore-Tex rain/wind jacket. On the list: Check!

I kept a trip report on my notebook computer I had with me, so will just need to review that and will post it soon. Already seeing signs of fall in Alaska, so be prepared for cool temps!
Ooooo... Autumn in Alaska! Sounds great (if chilly!) Any sign of the Northern Lights? I heard there might be a chance of seeing them... That would be beyond fabulous!

Thanks for the info!!!! Looking forward to your report!

Sayhello

Well, you already know the one thing that I wished I had brought but didn't. And it's on you list.
Knit hat that covers ears: Check! ;)

I never needed those two soft, warm fleece sweaters that I brought to layer over my summer clothes, but I wouldn't recommend leaving your warm clothes at home. :)
Wouldn't dream of it!

The only other thing I brought too many of was shoes. I think I had 4 paris and I could have gotten by with just my walking shoes. And maybe my one pair of sandals. I like to wear those at the airport because they are easy to remove at security.
So can I leave the Hiking shoes at home? (They are suede high-top tennis shoe hybrids). I have really good walking shoes and Keens I was going to bring. I was also either going to bring the Hiking shoes or a spare pair of walking shoes (in case one pair got wet)...

Oh, and I didn't bring any really warm socks, but I bought some that I really love at the Fred Meyer store that is a very short walk from Sophie Station. They are really soft wool and I picked up a buy two get one free coupon in the store. Sounds like you've got the socks covered, but if you need any extras, Fred Meyer is a good place to get them.
Warm socks or Fred Meyer: Check! :)

You're going to have so much fun!!!
Fun: CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!

Thanks!
Sayhello

Yes, it is Meclizine (also sold as Bonine and some other names). I had to ask the pharmacist for it, but it's not prescription (kind of like pseudophedrine).
You won't need it for any other boat trips, just the Kenai Fjords trip on day 5.

I think someone else, perhaps Bobo912, warned us that many of the bathrooms do not have running water. Either outhouses or porta-johns. I found they all had T.P., and was glad that the guides had hand wipes and hand sanitizer. I've used much worse in my youth in the mountains of CO, so it didn't bother me too much.

Yes, Rae & Jesse will be doing your trip and there isn't one before then, so I heard them talking to many of the local guides and saying that they'll see them in Sept. You'll be at they Alyeska Resort for the Fungus Festival. Ha!

To answer your other questions, no we didn't wear T-shirts unless they were underneath our sweatshirts or fleece. I would assume it will be even colder in September, but one thing I learned was that Alaska weather is very unpredictable! The first few days I kept trying to get a weather report on TV and found that challenging, but after awhile, I just gave up and dressed in layers (but we never got down to the first layer!). On the last day, we were on one side of the mountain and it was cloudy and rainy, then we went through the mountain on the train, and it was sunny on the other side. You can bring lots of stuff on the bus, and leave it while you are out and about, so just dress in layers and pack for any type of weather.
There were no signs of the Northern Lights on our trip as there is still too much light (was daylight between 4:30 am and 10:30 pm), but I have heard that folks sometimes see them as early as September. Our guides said that there are regular reports as to the likehood and timing of the N.L sightings, so I'm sure they'll be on top of that if there's any possibilities. Saw so many photos of it, and it would be so cool to see.

Yes, it is Meclizine (also sold as Bonine and some other names). I had to ask the pharmacist for it, but it's not prescription (kind of like pseudophedrine). You won't need it for any other boat trips, just the Kenai Fjords trip on day 5.

I think someone else, perhaps Bobo912, warned us that many of the bathrooms do not have running water. Either outhouses or porta-johns. I found they all had T.P., and was glad that the guides had hand wipes and hand sanitizer. I've used much worse in my youth in the mountains of CO, so it didn't bother me too much.

Yes, Rae & Jesse will be doing your trip and there isn't one before then, so I heard them talking to many of the local guides and saying that they'll see them in Sept. You'll be at they Alyeska Resort for the Fungus Festival. Ha!
Toilet paper is important! Note to self: do important business in the hotel room before we leave!!! :thumbsup2

The Fungus Festival? Sounds like a hoot! :rotfl:

Sayhello

I'll throw in my response on the shoes too. I brought sandals but never wore them as my feet would have frozen. I wore tennis shoes or my Keens with socks every day. I also brought deck shoes, as I thought those might be good on the boat, but really didn't need them for that. Your shoes might get wet so you need some to rotate, but we didn't do enough hiking to warrant hiking boots, unless you just like wearing them.

Since we were there during the most beautiful week of weather in Alaska in the last decade, we never even got our feet wet. So I could have easily gotten by with one pair of shoes. But I would think two would be enough, even under less ideal circumstances. All of the hiking trails are so easy, they don't require hiking boots. My athletic/walking shoes were fine. I mentioned the shoes, because they used up a lot of my precious luggage space, and when I was trying to squeeze our bags shut for flight home, I was wishing I hadn't brought any extra shoes.

marcemch, I happened to have a doctor's appointment this morning, so I asked him about what he recommends for seasickness, and he gave me a prescription for "the patch" that's supposed to be really good at preventing seasickness, with minimal drowsyness. So thanks for mentioning that! I would never have thought to ask him.

Sayhello

sayhello, be sure and have plenty of hand sanitizer with you at all times. I just heard on the news that H1N1 is widespread in Alaska (and Maine, but you're not going there next week, so we won't worry about that).

sayhello, be sure and have plenty of hand sanitizer with you at all times. I just heard on the news that H1N1 is widespread in Alaska (and Maine, but you're not going there next week, so we won't worry about that).
Ack! Good to know. I will definitely take the hand sanitizer! Thanks!

Sayhello

Sayhello, have a wonderful time on your trip! In case you happened to miss my excited post, just wanted to let you know we had a fantastic, wonderful, magical time on Southwest Splendors. You didn't steer us wrong - I'm so glad that I had read your posts and decided to go on this trip. My worries were for no reason.

Take care and have a great time!

Sayhello, have a wonderful time on your trip! In case you happened to miss my excited post, just wanted to let you know we had a fantastic, wonderful, magical time on Southwest Splendors. You didn't steer us wrong - I'm so glad that I had read your posts and decided to go on this trip. My worries were for no reason.

Take care and have a great time!
I am SO GLAD you had a great time on Southwest Splendors! It's nice to know that the magic is still there, and I can happily continue pimping the trip for all it's worth! :cool1:

If my Alaska trip is anywhere near as wonderful as SWS was, I'm going to be a very happy camper, indeed!!!

Sayhello

OMG, my trip is getting *really* close! I can tell because my upper back went out over the weekend! I actually think it was the rib I dislocated a few years ago flaring up. My body always picks some way to mess with me when I'm about to travel. Just got back from the doctor, and I'm well on the mend, and he doesn't think there should be any issue with me going on my trip. Am I ever glad to know ABD will be shlepping my luggage for me! :lovestruc

Starting to sort through clothing, do laundry, set things up so I can start packing. I try not to actually start packing until the day before I leave, otherwise I end up packing half my house into my suitcases! I keep thinking of extra things to pack, and, of course, never think of things to maybe take *out* of the suitcase!!!!

This is getting SO close! This time next week, I'll be in the air, winging towards Anchorage, then on to Fairbanks!

*bounce* *bounce* *bounce* :jumping1:

Sayhello

OMG, my trip is getting *really* close! I can tell because my upper back went out over the weekend! I actually think it was the rib I dislocated a few years ago flaring up. My body always picks some way to mess with me when I'm about to travel. Just got back from the doctor, and I'm well on the mend, and he doesn't think there should be any issue with me going on my trip. Am I ever glad to know ABD will be shlepping my luggage for me! :lovestruc

Starting to sort through clothing, do laundry, set things up so I can start packing. I try not to actually start packing until the day before I leave, otherwise I end up packing half my house into my suitcases! I keep thinking of extra things to pack, and, of course, never think of things to maybe take *out* of the suitcase!!!!

This is getting SO close! This time next week, I'll be in the air, winging towards Anchorage, then on to Fairbanks!

*bounce* *bounce* *bounce* :jumping1:

Sayhello

Have a 'splendiferous' (is that a word) time sayhello! I took longjohns (silk though) when we went to Alaska in August a couple of years ago. Did you pack yours? :laughing:
I know you have been there before but it is so vast, I'm sure this will be totally different!

Have a 'splendiferous' (is that a word) time sayhello! I took longjohns (silk though) when we went to Alaska in August a couple of years ago. Did you pack yours? :laughing:
I know you have been there before but it is so vast, I'm sure this will be totally different!
Longjohns? Are you serious? :eek: Is it going to be *THAT* cold??? Guess I'm packing the CuddleDuds....

Thanks, redzinner. My first time in Alaska, it was late May, and we had the MOST spectacular weather ever! Almost every day was spectacularly sunny & in the 60's & 70's. I took a heavy jacket -- the only time I touched it was the morning we got up at 6am to sail through College Fjord. I was there 14 days, and we only had clouds & light rain for a day & a half (and one of those days was Ketchikan, where I've heard it rains 95% of the time!) I'm really not expecting weather like that... but I can always hope!

There really is very little overlap between the cruisetour I took & the ABD. The panning for gold, is really the only thing. (I went to a different Iditarod place, this one sounds more in-depth). Denali we did mostly from the bus; ABD actually has a hike. The Kenai Fjords boat trip was *offered* on my tour, but I took a hike to the Russian River instead. The hike was magnificent, but I've always regretted a bit not going to the Kenai Fjords. Now I get to! :cool1: I'm really looking forward to this!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter