• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alaska Pre-Trip thread... I might as well join the bandwagon!

SayHello,

Have a wonderful trip! I can't wait to read what I know will be a fantastic trip report when you get back!

What new walking shoes did you end up getting?

Also, I heart CuddleDuds too! So comfy :lovestruc

Yay for your adventure!

SayHello,

Have a wonderful trip! I can't wait to read what I know will be a fantastic trip report when you get back!

What new walking shoes did you end up getting?

Also, I heart CuddleDuds too! So comfy :lovestruc

Yay for your adventure!
I just got another pair of New Balance walking shoes. The 845's. They fit me the best of any I've tried. Old ones were getting old. :)

I love my CuddleDuds. Don't know how I ever lived without them!

Report!!! :banana: That will be fun!

Sayhello

Hey, I have another question! Should I worry about getting a waterproof disposable camera for the raft trip? Will there be a chance of my camera getting wet? On a normal "White-Water" rafting trip, I absolutely would, but I thought I read that this was pretty mild.

Thanks!
Sayhello

Hey, I have another question! Should I worry about getting a waterproof disposable camera for the raft trip? Will there be a chance of my camera getting wet? On a normal "White-Water" rafting trip, I absolutely would, but I thought I read that this was pretty mild.

Thanks!
Sayhello

I had my Canon Rebel and my little Canon Powershot. I left the Rebel at the hotel and took the Powershot on the raft with a blank memory card in it, figuring that if it got wet of I dropped it in the river the loss was minimal. It's very small and I kept in hanging on my lanyard for most of the trip, so that it would be handy at any time. On the raft I tucked it in my life vest. I got splashed a little once, but most everybody else was totally dry. The ride is very mild.

I agree. I had my Canon Rebel with me on the raft trip, and although I got splashed a little, I was never worried about it getting wet. You never get drenched, that's for sure. You can get a poncho from the rafting company and tuck it in under that, or even wear one poncho and take an extra one to keep your camera tucked under.

I didn't take a camera on our rafting trip on Southwest Splendors, and I really wish I had - it was amazing, and I would love to have pictures to remember the trip by. If I were to do it again I would definitely bring a camera or at least a disposable one -- although I don't know how rough your trip will be, ours was very mild and the guides had a waterproof bag we could use.

Thanks, Bobo912, marcemch & glassslipper2004! I think I'm going to chance taking my "spare camera" on the rafting trip with me. (Ever since I read tksbaskets' report about her camera going belly up, I made sure my old camera was in working order & ready to go!) Probably put it on a lanyard around my neck so I can stow it under my jacket & poncho...

Tozzie, thanks! I have every intention of having a FABULOUS trip! :woohoo:

WOOHOO! Only 4 days left until I'm off to Alaska!!! :banana:

Sayhello

:wave: I just saw your thread title, so I had to say hi and I hope you enjoy your trip here.

Fall has definately hit Anchorage, leaves are changing colors and its been rainy this week.

When I took the Kenai Fjords cruise years ago we did get some spray and a little bit of rain which made making sure the camera stayed dry challenging. Someone mentioned bringing a shower cap to cover the camera, leaving just the lens uncovered as a way to protect it from moisture

If you google waterproof camera bags you will get a million replies.Try Dicapac.com found them on Buy.com.I plan on getting one for my Alaska trip next year.Got the info from the photography board here.People on the boards say they work real well :thumbsup2

If you google waterproof camera bags you will get a million replies.Try Dicapac.com found them on Buy.com.I plan on getting one for my Alaska trip next year.Got the info from the photography board here.People on the boards say they work real well :thumbsup2
Thanks for the info, Iceman. But seeing as it's the weekend, and I leave in 3 days, I'm thinking the chance of me getting one before I leave is slim to none! But I will keep it in mind for next time.

:wave: I just saw your thread title, so I had to say hi and I hope you enjoy your trip here.

Fall has definately hit Anchorage, leaves are changing colors and its been rainy this week.

When I took the Kenai Fjords cruise years ago we did get some spray and a little bit of rain which made making sure the camera stayed dry challenging. Someone mentioned bringing a shower cap to cover the camera, leaving just the lens uncovered as a way to protect it from moisture
My camera's on the small size; I'm not sure I could actually use it if it was in a shower cap! Plus it doesn't have a viewfinder, so if the screen is covered, I'm shooting blind (unless I could find a clear one somewhere...) But it's an interesting idea!

I'm really looking forward to this trip. I'm hoping you have some Indian Summer when I get there... ;) And I'm REALLY hoping to get to see the Northern Lights!

3 days to go!

Sayhello

sayhello, the big day is almost here!!!! Hope you have beautiful clear skies and just a fantastic trip. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back. Have fun!

sayhello, the big day is almost here!!!! Hope you have beautiful clear skies and just a fantastic trip. Can't wait to hear about it when you get back. Have fun!
Thanks, Bobo912!! I'm still packing, but most everything is ready & staged. I hope somebody's listening to you about the weather!!!

1 1/2 days to go!!!!!

Sayhello

Have a great time Sayhello! Looking forward to reading the trip report when you get back.
Thanks, Diskidatheart! I'm looking forward to DOING the trip report when I get back. It's a huge amount of fun!

I must admit, the first time I saw your user ID, I thought "Disk ID at heart"? Why would someone pick that as a user ID? I know, sometimes I wonder about my brain... :confused3:rotfl:

Sayhello

Hey sayhello--we've enjoyed your comments on this board, and hope you have a great trip! We look forward to your report! (Will you pump the guides for info re next year's pins, the EBD et al?!) (Better yet--forget all that, just take it all in and enjoy the ride)!

I must admit, the first time I saw your user ID, I thought "Disk ID at heart"? Why would someone pick that as a user ID? I know, sometimes I wonder about my brain... :confused3:rotfl:

Sayhello

Hopefully when you return from your wonderful trip, your brain will be relaxed. You did have a good point about my user ID. I was going to try and fix it by changing a couple of the letter to capital but not sure how to do that.

Have a great trip, Sayhello!!!!!!
Looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back!

Turtlemom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter