Alcohol policy

It stinks, but that's the rules. You were asked and you couldn't produce ID. No ID, no drinks. That's the rule.

I fail to see you being with an adult child constitutes proof of age. For all your server knows, it's your sister or girlfriend or cousin or friend. My best friend (6 mos younger than me) has been mistaken for my daughter before, but that didn't mean she's my daughter. (For the record, we look absolutely nothing alike.)

I worked in a liquor store and I wasn't risking my job or jail time for someone's lack of I.D. If I asked someone who was obviously older than 30, I could not sell it to them without their ID... Even if they appealed to the manager. They would have to produce an ID or go elsewhere.

I would have been canned on the spot for not doing so, and it is entirely possible that your server felt the same way.

I got carded about half the time last time I went, but after having forgotten an ID before at Chef Mickey's and not being served, I learned to always make sure I have ID at Disney... Or everywhere else I go, too.

Take it as a compliment that you don't look your age, and start carrying your ID with you.

I'm 50 with a grey beard and get asked sometimes. Always have your ID if you plan to drink. Policies aren't always consistent and can change.

Sometimes when my wife and I go out and she doesn't want to take a purse I put her ID in my wallet.

I don't make any jokes or comments either. I figure they've heard it all a million time and probably aren't easily amused.

I took my DD to Universal ten days after she turned 21 and she never once got carded, she was so disappointed. :P

Noticed it says passport outside of the US... I prefer to leave my passport in the safe (less of a risk to lose it). Has anyone had an experience with using an Ontario driver's license as ID rather than a passport? Now that drinks are included on the DDP, will probably have one at most meals.

Thanks!

I get carded about half the time. I think it's general "eh they look old enough" when I don't, and I don't care when they do ask. However, *IF* they ask and you don't have an ID (I've forgotten mine accidentally too), you're screwed. You have to just hope they don't ask because I believe if they ask and you don't show one, then they can't legally serve you.

If you're carded and don't have a valid ID there's really nothing they can do.
Noticed it says passport outside of the US... I prefer to leave my passport in the safe (less of a risk to lose it). Has anyone had an experience with using an Ontario driver's license as ID rather than a passport? Now that drinks are included on the DDP, will probably have one at most meals.

Thanks!

You'd need the Ontario license and a copy/picture of your passport. Or a NEXUS card.

Thanks!
From a previous post......
Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at Walt Disney World Resort must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

• U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

Thanks!
you might be able to show passport on phone but you would need your license with you not on phone. I would check for sure when you check in at the desk and not by phone. from what I have read they will not repeat not accept outside the US drivers licenses without passport

I get carded every time I drink in Disney, I never get carded anywhere else, in my 30s, I don't think I look all that young (I wish) but Disney is the only place that cards me. I would never go anywhere without my ID though, so it's not really an issue. I can't imagine not having ID on me of some kind. The only time I am parted from my ID is on cruises, when it's just in the safe but then I have the cruise identification on me and I still feel super antsy about it.

Matt

Basically the official rule is if you appear under 40, they are supposed to ask for ID. Does not mean that's always what happens, but that is the official rule.

International visitors must use their original passport, scans are not acceptable nor are IDs, this has to do with liquor laws and Disney could loose their liquor license if they allowed the use of photocopies or scans. Disneyland is even stricter by the way and cards everyone, even the 90 year olds.

I really wish they would go the route that Sea World San Diego has and scan your ID every time you get alcohol and only allow two drinks every two hours per person (every four would be better). Would really cut down on drunk behavior in the parks.

But this is coming from the guy who doesn't drink.

I fail to see you being with an adult child constitutes proof of age. For all your server knows, it's your sister or girlfriend or cousin or friend. My best friend (6 mos younger than me) has been mistaken for my daughter before, but that didn't mean she's my daughter. (For the record, we look absolutely nothing alike.)

I didn’t say it constituted proof of age. And, yes, if it were just me and my daughter perhaps it would not be obvious if or how we are related. But I think it’s pretty obvious when you have a family eating a meal together at Disney, the teen/adult kids are calling me mom, the server is discussing with me what options my kids can have that are covered under the dining plan, etc.

I was just saying that there was absolutely no way the server would have thought I could possibly be under age. And, at least in my experiences everywhere else, it’s up to their discretion whether they feel the need to ID you.

Basically the official rule is if you appear under 40, they are supposed to ask for ID. Does not mean that's always what happens, but that is the official rule.
They did not say that was the rule, but I can see where that would make sense. They just made it seem like no one could be served without ID, but two people in my party (same table, same server) were not asked to show ID so it just seemed inconsistent to us.

Perhaps it’s if you look under a certain age you must be IDed. But I think it’s fairly obvious I’m not that young. (I’m traveling with my 20 year old daughter).

If you’re carded, you have to have it. Frankly the other guests at your table are lucky to have kept their drinks. Some servers I’ve come across in the US won’t let anyone have drinks if another guest is carded and can’t prove their age.

Maybeee they thought all those grey hairs were precisely placed by my hair stylist, LOL.

My ex went grey at 17. I knew tons of kids in high school who were under such stress at home about grades that they started to go grey and white.

And dyed grey or white hair is popular right now.

Under 21.

Yep.

International visitors must use their original passport, scans are not acceptable...

The twice quoted info here says that’s not true. Scan of the passport is fine as long as it’s with the actual license.

And that is found here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/restaurants/required-id-for-alcohol/

I always have my ID with me in the parks, but I didn’t have it once at the pool bar at WL. I’m in my thirties and had a 10-year old with me. Had to go up to the room and get it, and upon my return was given a drink by a different bartender without the ID. I found THAT frustrating.

I'm 40. I think I look 40. I have never once been asked anywhere at Disney, so these responses are surprising to me. I know I could be asked at any time but I've been going regularly for the past 10 years and it has yet to happen.

I'm 40. I think I look 40. I have never once been asked anywhere at Disney, so these responses are surprising to me. I know I could be asked at any time but I've been going regularly for the past 10 years and it has yet to happen.
We were asked for ID when we bought our beer flight in Epcot and our drinks at Nomad Lounge in AK back in 2017.

Being asked for ID should he expected even if it never happens to you (which I know you said you knew it could happen). I don't get asked my ID majority of the time when I'm in my home area and actually when I vacation too. To date SWA has never asked for ID when we've used the drink coupons lol.

But I absolutely expect it and prepared for it and no ID for me means I'm not ordering any alcohol. It's not surprising to me to hear some people get asked, some people don't, some bartenders or waitresses do and some don't. It happens all the time in my home area that it operates that way.

I expect to be carded since I'm only 22 (and per my profile picture, I look like I could be 12), but what does frustrate me is when people have asked if I'm "old enough to be drinking"
I have had CMs squint at my ID and give me funny looks, like they think it's fake
I know they're just doing their jobs, but that's a bit insulting to me
Our waiter at CG actually laughed and said "come now, that's not you is it?"
I never give them any fuss and I always just lay my ID out on the table when I'm planning to drink, but come on. Just let me have a drink. My ID is real. I'm aware I look very young, but I gave you a valid form of ID. Please just give me my drink and leave me be.

I’ve always been carded but then again I’m in my 20’s. One time I didn’t have my license so I had my mom order one for me and she was not carded. I’ve learned to always carry my license because you never know when it might be needed to make adjustments to your account etc.

My mom is in her 60s and never was carded

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter