• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcohol policy

I expect to be carded since I'm only 22 (and per my profile picture, I look like I could be 12), but what does frustrate me is when people have asked if I'm "old enough to be drinking"
I have had CMs squint at my ID and give me funny looks, like they think it's fake
I know they're just doing their jobs, but that's a bit insulting to me
Our waiter at CG actually laughed and said "come now, that's not you is it?"
I never give them any fuss and I always just lay my ID out on the table when I'm planning to drink, but come on. Just let me have a drink. My ID is real. I'm aware I look very young, but I gave you a valid form of ID. Please just give me my drink and leave me be.
A few years ago my husband (who would have been in his mid-20s at that time) gave his DL to the bartender at a Longhorn Steakhouse in MD. The woman apparently had never seen a DL from KS and thought it was fake. She proceeded to look over it real closely...including actually folding it...she put a permanent crease in it.

I was so upset when I found that out. My husband ended up waiting to get a new DL to when his would renew but up until then he had a bent one.

Honestly it's been years IMO that DLs could be easily faked. Ever since my state switched from lamenated ones really.

Haven't been carded at WDW in any of our trips the last 20+ years. I have been carded at other restaurants and the servers look embrassed to ask so I just figure it was some company/ manager order. So I am always prepared. Of course in some cases I could be their Grandmom ;). Our local Wegman' s liquor store cards every one .

I haven't been carded at Disney or anywhere else in years, unless it's a place that has a "we card everyone even if they look 100" sort of place. Clearly I've passed the point of looking like I'm 20.

I just find it so odd I can rent a car with my Canadian liscence and drive with a Canadian licence but can’t order a drink with one.
I too hate taking my passport anywhere I feel is unnecessary..
I’ll do it if just seems odd

Be sure to bring your ID with you everywhere.

We are midway through a stay with deluxe dining and I was not allowed to order a drink with my meal at Skipper Canteen. I have not been asked for an ID anywhere else on property, but I even had color scans on my phone of my license and passport and they still would not serve me there.

I’m still not clear on what the actual policy is. It can’t be “no ID no alcohol” without exception because they served two other people at my table without even asking for theirs. Perhaps it’s if you look under a certain age you must be IDed. But I think it’s fairly obvious I’m not that young. (I’m traveling with my 20 year old daughter).

I had my 16 year old daughter and my mother at the Boardwalk pool bar with me and the server made me go up and get my ID...even after seeing my moms.

I just find it so odd I can rent a car with my Canadian liscence and drive with a Canadian licence but can’t order a drink with one.
I too hate taking my passport anywhere I feel is unnecessary..
I’ll do it if just seems odd

You don't have to take your passport though. What you Do have to do is have a clear color photo or photocopy of your passport in addition to your Canadian driver's licence.

I'm 50 with a grey beard and get asked sometimes. Always have your ID if you plan to drink. Policies aren't always consistent and can change.

Sometimes when my wife and I go out and she doesn't want to take a purse I put her ID in my wallet.

I don't make any jokes or comments either. I figure they've heard it all a million time and probably aren't easily amused.
I'm sixty eight and I get carded when I buy O'Douls..................:o

I am a server at Disney. If I card you and you do not have an ID, I can not serve you. If I get caught, I will be fired. If you go to the manager and they agree to serve you, they have to be the one to put the drink on the table so I am not responsible. When I card someone and another person at the table jokes and says, do you want to see mine and I say ok, if they don't have their ID, I can not serve them. Doesn't matter if they look 70 with gray hair. Disney and the state of Florida has us log in to the work computer every 3 months and verify that we know these rules and keeps a record of it. Mystery shoppers eat at the restaurants to make sure we are following the rules. I'm sorry you were not able to get your drink but I won't lose my job for it.

I am a server at Disney. If I card you and you do not have an ID, I can not serve you. If I get caught, I will be fired. If you go to the manager and they agree to serve you, they have to be the one to put the drink on the table so I am not responsible. When I card someone and another person at the table jokes and says, do you want to see mine and I say ok, if they don't have their ID, I can not serve them. Doesn't matter if they look 70 with gray hair. Disney and the state of Florida has us log in to the work computer every 3 months and verify that we know these rules and keeps a record of it. Mystery shoppers eat at the restaurants to make sure we are following the rules. I'm sorry you were not able to get your drink but I won't lose my job for it.

Good on you, do your job the right way and don't let people get you down about it. The guy didn't have his ID, plain and simple. I still can't fathom not having ID on me and I especially can't fathom feeling entitled to a drink despite very clear rules on the subject.

Matt

Personally, I wish Disney World would go to carding everyone who order alcohol no matter how old they look.

And good for you for doing your job right.

I expect to be carded since I'm only 22 (and per my profile picture, I look like I could be 12), but what does frustrate me is when people have asked if I'm "old enough to be drinking"
I have had CMs squint at my ID and give me funny looks, like they think it's fake
I know they're just doing their jobs, but that's a bit insulting to me
Our waiter at CG actually laughed and said "come now, that's not you is it?"
I never give them any fuss and I always just lay my ID out on the table when I'm planning to drink, but come on. Just let me have a drink. My ID is real. I'm aware I look very young, but I gave you a valid form of ID. Please just give me my drink and leave me be.

While I agree the comments are not necessary, I've had coworkers who were given fake ID's when they carded a table. I've had underage people give me their ID's when I carded them. If I didn't catch it, served them and were caught, I will be arrested, go to jail and be fired. I've had parents/spouses order drinks and let the underage at the table drink them. Disney and the state of Florida have a zero tolerance policy.

While I agree the comments are not necessary, I've had coworkers who were given fake ID's when they carded a table. I've had underage people give me their ID's when I carded them. If I didn't catch it, served them and were caught, I will be arrested, go to jail and be fired. I've had parents/spouses order drinks and let the underage at the table drink them. Disney and the state of Florida have a zero tolerance policy.
Exactly, although the comments are appropriate at certain locations, for example 50's Prime Time and Whispering Canyon due to the theme of the restaurant die to the themes of the restaurants.

Good on you, do your job the right way and don't let people get you down about it. The guy didn't have his ID, plain and simple. I still can't fathom not having ID on me and I especially can't fathom feeling entitled to a drink despite very clear rules on the subject.

Matt

Not where did I indicate that I felt “entitled” to have a beer. I made the post as a friendly PSA/reminder and also was curious to discuss what the actual policy/rules/laws are.

You mention “despite very clear rules”, but obviously these rules are not very clear that’s why we are discussing.

I also don’t know what’s so hard to fathom not carrying an ID. I explicitly mentioned in my post that I accidentally left it on the counter in the room so in this instance it was a simple mistake. But, honestly, that was only because I knew there was a possibility of needing it at Disney. I go out all the time at home without bringing my license. I really don’t see what the big deal is. Besides driving, flying, or alcohol purchasing I can’t think of any other instances where I have ever needed to show ID.

Not where did I indicate that I felt “entitled” to have a beer. I made the post as a friendly PSA/reminder and also was curious to discuss what the actual policy/rules/laws are.

You mention “despite very clear rules”, but obviously these rules are not very clear that’s why we are discussing.

I also don’t know what’s so hard to fathom not carrying an ID. I explicitly mentioned in my post that I accidentally left it on the counter in the room so in this instance it was a simple mistake. But, honestly, that was only because I knew there was a possibility of needing it at Disney. I go out all the time at home without bringing my license. I really don’t see what the big deal is. Besides driving, flying, or alcohol purchasing I can’t think of any other instances where I have ever needed to show ID.

Having an ID is one of those "You don't need it until you need it" things. As I've said before, I don't drink but I always have my license on me at Disney....as well as my insurance cards and a credit card. God forbid there was a medical emergency. It's just a good idea to have ID with you at all times.

I always have my ID with me in the parks, but I didn’t have it once at the pool bar at WL.

Forty lashes with a wet (pool) noodle!

I always have my ID with me except for the times I have forgotten that I put it in my back pocket the day before when I didn't carry a purse. Or the times I switched between carrying a purse and backpack and left it in the backpack. Or it got accidentally left on my bathroom counter.

Sorry Murphy bit you OP.

I find it minorly annoying that our grocery store cards everyone. I'm obviously not 21. But it's how they're chosen to deal with the law and enforcement so I can't really complain.

Last edited:

The rule is "Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at Walt Disney World Resort must present one of the following valid forms of identification...". In practice they don't always ask for ID, but the policy is that you need one to buy alcohol.

I understand that, but it's been quite a while since you could actually convincingly fake an ID
Especially with the real ID stuff on most DLs nowadays, like mine has

Exactly, although the comments are appropriate at certain locations, for example 50's Prime Time and Whispering Canyon due to the theme of the restaurant die to the themes of the restaurants.
If it were one of those restaurants, yes that would be fine
This was at California Grill though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter