• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcohol policy

If I didn't catch it, served them and were caught, I will be arrested, go to jail and be fired.
And probably fined, too.
I go out all the time at home without bringing my license.
I don't even leave my apartment without my license. Not even just going down the hall to the trash room. Always, always carry identification. What if you're alone and pass out?

The rule is "Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at Walt Disney World Resort must present one of the following valid forms of identification...". In practice they don't always ask for ID, but the policy is that you need one to buy alcohol.

To me that rule means that everyone is required to show ID (which I have no issue with).

Others have stated that it’s “if a guest looks under 40, they are required to show ID” And even the CM who posted that s/he is very strict on the alcohol policy said “IF I decide to card you”. So there obviously must be a different policy that the CMs are told other than “all must present ID”

I don’t think the majority of cast members would be risking their jobs hundreds of times each day by not asking anyone if the official policy were actually that EVERYONE must present ID.

I don't even leave my apartment without my license. Not even just going down the hall to the trash room. Always, always carry identification. What if you're alone and pass out?

Everyone in my family thinks I’m completely neurotic and paranoid, but for some reason that’s just not something that stresses me out.

I do carry my ID if I go out by myself. I usually do not bring it if I run out to the store with my husband, go out to dinner, etc. I hate carrying a purse so if I’m wearing something with no pockets, I usually don’t carry anything.

That said, I walk about 6 miles per day with my dogs and it has never entered my mind that I would need to carry my ID. I usually have my phone. So if I had an emergency I could call someone or if I were unconscious someone else could access my emergency contacts.

To me that rule means that everyone is required to show ID (which I have no issue with).

Others have stated that it’s “if a guest looks under 40, they are required to show ID” And even the CM who posted that s/he is very strict on the alcohol policy said “IF I decide to card you”. So there obviously must be a different policy that the CMs are told other than “all must present ID”

I don’t think the majority of cast members would be risking their jobs hundreds of times each day by not asking anyone if the official policy were actually that EVERYONE must present ID.

Ok, but when the posted policy states that you need valid ID to buy alcohol you shouldn't get mad at Disney for not serving you when you don't have ID. Consider yourself lucky if you aren't carded.

Not where did I indicate that I felt “entitled” to have a beer. I made the post as a friendly PSA/reminder and also was curious to discuss what the actual policy/rules/laws are.

You mention “despite very clear rules”, but obviously these rules are not very clear that’s why we are discussing.

I also don’t know what’s so hard to fathom not carrying an ID. I explicitly mentioned in my post that I accidentally left it on the counter in the room so in this instance it was a simple mistake. But, honestly, that was only because I knew there was a possibility of needing it at Disney. I go out all the time at home without bringing my license. I really don’t see what the big deal is. Besides driving, flying, or alcohol purchasing I can’t think of any other instances where I have ever needed to show ID.

Your entire post just comes off that way, you went out of your way to mention deluxe dining (look how much money I spent), called out a specific location (Skipper Canteen) as if they'd done something wrong, and criticized them for following the rules even though you "obviously" look old enough (indicating you're special and the rules don't apply to you "obviously") and I've not seen a single person here surprised that an ID is needed on you to drink, so I think the rules are fairly clear. I was replying to a CM who seemed concerned that doing their job properly was somehow problematic because of that post, and I was just pointing out that it was not a good basis for deciding if they were correct or not. That's how it reads to me at least.

Matt

Your entire post just comes off that way, you went out of your way to mention deluxe dining (look how much money I spent), called out a specific location (Skipper Canteen) as if they'd done something wrong, and criticized them for following the rules even though you "obviously" look old enough (indicating you're special and the rules don't apply to you "obviously") and I've not seen a single person here surprised that an ID is needed on you to drink, so I think the rules are fairly clear. I was replying to a CM who seemed concerned that doing their job properly was somehow problematic because of that post, and I was just pointing out that it was not a good basis for deciding if they were correct or not. That's how it reads to me at least.

Matt

I understand where you’re coming from, but you’re definitely reading things into my posts that we’re not in my mind at all when I was writing.

I mentioned deluxe dining because that indicated that we had many meals where the alcohol was already included (nothing to do with bragging about how much we spent).

I mentioned the name of the restaurant because the manager herself said they were “way more strict at MK than other places on property” (so if that’s the case people should expect to be IDed there more often).

I don’t see how me saying I look old means I think I’m special. We have been discussing what the policy is for asking guests for ID. It seems to be up to the CM’s discretion, so how old I appear is relevant to that conversation.

As an update, we have not been IDed at any other restaurant or booth on property with one exception— a bar at Disney Springs where they were IDing everyone (including older folks who were not even ordering drinks).

Again, this was the point of my post. Since you can go an entire trip without being asked for ID, it would be easy for someone to assume after several days that they will not be asked and to get lazy like I did and not bother to go back to the room when I forgot mine.

Since you can go an entire trip without being asked for ID, it would be easy for someone to assume after several days that they will not be asked and to get lazy like I did and not bother to go back to the room when I forgot mine.
I think the difference though is knowing you can be asked and knowing you may not be asked are two different things.

If you know you can be asked for ID you would want to ensure you have proper identification even though you know you may not be asked for it.

I do understand though forgetting it in the room or for people who change a purse and then forget it in the other purse or many other reasons it happens.

Interestingly I can't recall a time being carded at Disney, even when I turned 21. My last trip there I remember carrying it but I wasn't even asked at the restaurant or its lounge and I know I don't look anywhere near 40. Weird how it varies on people's experiences.

I think the difference though is knowing you can be asked and knowing you may not be asked are two different things.

If you know you can be asked for ID you would want to ensure you have proper identification even though you know you may not be asked for it.

I do understand though forgetting it in the room or for people who change a purse and then forget it in the other purse or many other reasons it happens.

Yes, this is true. I always know that it’s possible to be asked for ID anywhere, but based on my previous experiences at Disney figured it was unlikely and therefore not necessary to go back to the resort to retrieve my license.

Yes, this is true. I always know that it’s possible to be asked for ID anywhere, but based on my previous experiences at Disney figured it was unlikely and therefore not necessary to go back to the resort to retrieve my license.
Understandable. I guess that depends then on how one treats it. When I don't have my ID I don't order alcohol period no matter where I'm at even though I know I'm old enough, even though I know I don't really get asked for my ID. It would be my dumb darn luck that would be the time they ask for it lol.

Interestingly I can't recall a time being carded at Disney, even when I turned 21. My last trip there I remember carrying it but I wasn't even asked at the restaurant or its lounge and I know I don't look anywhere near 40. Weird how it varies on people's experiences.
I don't think this is out of the norm.

Do you not experience this elsewhere in your life?

Have you ever went to a place and one time the waiter/waitress/bartender asked for your ID but the next time you go they didn't? Or the next time you went after that they did ask for your ID but then the next time they didn't?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter