All You Need is Love: an offsite, non-Disney PTR (counting down to May 2018)

Great point coastgirl! But I am from the UK :thumbsup2

Tim Tracker has a few videos on Busch gardens which are ok to watch. We have been a few times, I'm not a rollercoaster fan (leave that to DH and DD), but I like the animals and I love feeding the giraffes.

Hope everything went well with your move and you got to relax a bit over the Easter holiday!

I thought I'd catch up on your trip report while relaxing with my coffee on my first day off where I have NO obligations to do anything! No cooking, zippo. Count me in as someone else who things this should be in the Orlando section. Had to do a search to find this!

We still have a lot of snow on the ground this Easter weekend, so really wishing I had a trip down south to look forward to! Ha. Planning for next year - would like to go somewhere different but the cheaper condos and the activities that appeal to everyone (beach, theme parks, hockey games, etc.) keep bringing me back to Florida.

@trish4bruce - we're neighbours :) I agree Gina's talk about SVR make me want to stay there too!

Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend! (4 day weekend for me!)

Tim Tracker has a few videos on Busch gardens which are ok to watch. We have been a few times, I'm not a rollercoaster fan (leave that to DH and DD), but I like the animals and I love feeding the giraffes.

Thanks Mrs Doubtfire. I do find folks from the UK are more sensitive to the woes of a stronger US dollar for travellers, like we Canucks are. I love advice from all quarters!

Hm, so who's Tim Tracker? would love to have a look. I've never been a big fan of coasters, but had a lot of fun our last few visits to Universal, so am willing to give them a go (or at least a representative selection...)

The animals will be a highlight for us too. That's really what's bringing us back. Our kids are teens but still love anything to do with critters. We are going to BG, but also Clearwater Marine Aquarium and probably the Lowry Park Zoo, as well as a dolphin boat trip we hope, and if we're really lucky, a turtle walk on the Atlantic coast. And will be on the lookout for those adorable little lizards all the time...

Thanks Mrs Doubtfire. I do find folks from the UK are more sensitive to the woes of a stronger US dollar for travellers, like we Canucks are. I love advice from all quarters!

Hm, so who's Tim Tracker? would love to have a look. I've never been a big fan of coasters, but had a lot of fun our last few visits to Universal, so am willing to give them a go (or at least a representative selection...)

The animals will be a highlight for us too. That's really what's bringing us back. Our kids are teens but still love anything to do with critters. We are going to BG, but also Clearwater Marine Aquarium and probably the Lowry Park Zoo, as well as a dolphin boat trip we hope, and if we're really lucky, a turtle walk on the Atlantic coast. And will be on the lookout for those adorable little lizards all the time...

If you search on You Tube you will find him. He lives near the parks and has annual passes for all the parks so he visits them all and posts his blogs. Might just give you a different perspective.

Hello everyone!! I’m finally popping in with a long overdue update. After surviving our own version of “March Madness” :crazy2:, we’re hoping for a little less chaotic April…..so with a little luck, I’ll be updating a tad more often as we count down to our departure day :thumbsup2.

That said, I’m feeling a bit like the Where’s Waldo of the Disboards :magnify:. My goodness, this report has seen a LOT of movement since its inception ::yes::. I guess I just have to accept that there’s really no “right” place for my specific trip reports, because none of our vacations falls into any specific category. I’ve never really been a very typical person in any aspect of my life, so perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised that I don’t “fit” very well here, either :rotfl:. Square peg, round hole, and all that :goodvibes.

As for the trip, we are oh-so-close to the one-month marker! As of today, we are officially at:

MjJbPqM.jpg

Even though we’ve been crazy busy getting settled into the house over the past two weeks, I’ve actually tried to devote a tiny bit of time the last few days to trip planning tasks. The realization that we’re almost at the 30-day point was a good motivator :blush:. I’ve started checking rental car rates daily once again (so far, nothing better than I secured months and months ago….but at least I’m back to looking regularly so I’ll be able to catch a last-minute drop if there is one) and today I booked our airport transportation to and from DTW. We had a FANTASTIC driver the last time we used Motor City Transportation (a delightfully friendly fellow named Olu) so I was sure to specifically request him for this trip: hopefully his schedule can accommodate us.

I’ve been peeking at Groupon every morning, and there’s a couple of small things (like mini golf) that I’m contemplating for after-dinner activities on our resort days……I may just grab one or two of them between now and our departure, especially when there’s a good discount code being offered. A big, BIG part of me was really hoping we could find a way to splurge and add a day at a Disney park to this 25th anniversary trip, but try as I might to justify it in my own brain, I honestly just can’t :(. After buying the house, the inevitable moving expenses, our massive income tax bill, and then all the residual moving costs (curtains, blinds, furniture, lawn maintenance items, and all the other stuff we found we needed once we were actually moved in), I would feel unbelievably guilty buying Disney tickets. For the record, I blame one of my coworkers for the Disney Ache: she is Disney-obsessed and routinely plays one of the Disney Park playlists at the office …. and of course, her desk is immediately beside mine :rolleyes2. We have both been known to be caught singing Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirates Life For Me completely off-tune but perfectly in time with the music :rotfl2: …. our boss and the Office Manager think we’re both nuts (guilty as charged! :o) but tolerant of our office fun. This same co-worker also gave us a very sweet housewarming gift, complete with his and hers “American” Disney snow globes: a Mickey for Steve ::MickeyMo, and a Minnie ::MinnieMo for me.

29542015_10156629915101416_1480018854034126009_n.jpg

Disney has been in my head, and now in my house. Then there’s those pesky commercials that seem to be popping up on TV *all* the time, like they were intended JUST for me :mickeyjum.

Steve reminds me, it will be good to have a lower-key trip. And I know he’s right. But I still wish I could get a hug from Mickey Mouse :guilty:. First World Problems, right? ;)

The plans still include likely 2 full days at SeaWorld :banana:(I cannot WAIT to go back there!! It's been too long!), at least one day at Aquatica (with a cabana rental :cool1:), and our much-anticipated day at Discovery Cove :beach: (with the upgraded drink package……we will definitely be Ubering that day :drinking1) . The first day or two will likely be resort days, just to allow us to relax and recharge and enjoy all the Vistana has to offer: preferably with a fruity beverage in hand from the Tiki Bar. This last month has run us ragged and I can’t wait to just unwind.

For all of you who have so kindly asked about how our move went, I am happy to report that it seems to have been a fairly seamless (albeit, hectic) process.

29512937_10156620706491416_776196132402812582_n.jpg

We closed on March 19th and the moving company moved our large furniture items on March 23rd. From the 19th to the 22nd, we cleaned (and cleaned and cleaned) and moved over a lot of our breakables (framed photos, dishes, etc.) and clothing in our two vehicles, taking a full load on each trip to the house. From the 23rd to the 31st, we took care of any residual items and cleaned the rental townhouse from top to bottom.

29790201_10156644089031416_7160257632850419261_n.jpg

It was definitely a bit of a relief to turn in the keys on Saturday morning and only have one house to focus on ::yes::.

The cats have settled comfortably into their new home, though it was tough first week for both of them……cats, in general, are creatures of habit, so any kind of upset to their routine isn’t customarily well received. Violet definitely took more time to come around than Dash, but she’s a little more complex on all levels so we anticipated that she’d have a more difficult adjustment. Now that the initial transition is over, they seem quite content:

29683347_10156650090846416_4197752969100730644_n.jpg

29541148_10156623473381416_8668790688870874627_n.jpg

We also had a wonderful visit with Jake on our moving weekend. Not only was it unbelievably helpful to have an extra strong man around (with the bonus of a big truck), it was so awesome (and felt so “right”) to have him be here to mark this milestone with us :hug:. We weren’t very efficient on those first few days in our new house, opting to maximize the time with our boy [after all, boxes could wait to be unpacked] but it was worth every perfect minute. We watched March Madness as a family, took him out to dine at a couple of his American favorites (Steak & Shake, Longhorns and Hungry Howies were his picks of the weekend) and just soaked up some much-needed togetherness.

29512567_10156623955181416_9215621244907607210_n.jpg

It broke my heart to see him pull out of the driveway on Monday morning :sad:. Oh, how I wish I could keep that kid here with us.

With Jake back in Canada, the house is taking shape quite nicely. Most of the new furniture has arrived (minus a couple of items from Ikea, which seem to be taking their sweet time arriving) and pretty much all the boxes are unpacked. We’re starting to get photos up on the walls and have embarked on the first stages of yard work……though the unseasonable cold is slowing our progress outdoors :cold:. The biggest thing left are installing the new blinds and curtains, and I’m hoping our blinds will all be here by the end of the week (fingers crossed). We've both felt a tad.....exposed :rolleyes: ..... with no blinds on all these great big windows.

So....that's the last two weeks in a nutshell! I hope to be back an evening this week to answer all your great posts, but for now, I thought I owed you a check-in at the very least. Tonight, it's time to cheer on our boys in blue in the NCAA final:

c0e43e2e40b97cc717e103f9aa45faa6.jpg

They are definitely the underdog, but stranger things have happened in this March Madness tournament (Virginia, I'm looking at you :magnify:).

Hope you all are doing well! Thanks for still following along!

Thanks for the update Gina. Glad the move went smoothly, I bet it was so good to have Jake there. Looking forward to having you back :goodvibes

Hey Gina! Your PTR location is the online equivalent of the Mad Tea Party spinning tea cup ride! I went down several pages on the Orlando Attractions forum, and finally decided your move couldn't have taken THAT long! Luckily a quick search found you again...

I'm still looking at the weekend of May 5-6 for a quick SeaWorld trip. I am considering scaling the trip back to just one night, due to some unexpected expenses (I have a lovely new washer). We would drive down Saturday morning, spend some time at the park that day and on Sunday, hang at the pool Saturday afternoon and/or evening, and schedule in a DISMeet at your convenience. It's still not a done deal. My son has a pretty heavy school work load, but we could just return relatively early on Sunday if it is not too bad.

I will stay in touch.

Well, I am happy to have found your ever moving report again, just in time for an update. :wave: I know you are happy to have the task of moving behind you now. Glad you enjoyed you weekend with Jake! I know it is always so hard to see them leave. Excited to hear more details of your trip. Hoping soon that we can plan a trip to Orlando this year, just not sure when. Hopefully before our grandson turns three later this year. Life keeps getting in the way, even though it is good things like weddings of close friends and births of nephews.

Too bad you're there the week before us because we have 2 extra tickets to Moonlight Magic at AK while we're there.

Glad you're settling in!

Glad everything is going well with the new house! And love the kitty pictures :)

Dash and Violet look like they like their new home! Yes- cat momma here- and they do not like change! They get offended when we go on vacation. We leave for Orlando on the 11th to visit DS in the college program! Miss him! Need some sun and son!

Hope everything went well with your move and you got to relax a bit over the Easter holiday!

I thought I'd catch up on your trip report while relaxing with my coffee on my first day off where I have NO obligations to do anything! No cooking, zippo. Count me in as someone else who things this should be in the Orlando section. Had to do a search to find this!

We still have a lot of snow on the ground this Easter weekend, so really wishing I had a trip down south to look forward to! Ha. Planning for next year - would like to go somewhere different but the cheaper condos and the activities that appeal to everyone (beach, theme parks, hockey games, etc.) keep bringing me back to Florida.

@trish4bruce - we're neighbours :) I agree Gina's talk about SVR make me want to stay there too!

Hi, momof2gr8kids where are you located? I am very excited to stay at SVR!

Thanks for the update Gina. Glad the move went smoothly, I bet it was so good to have Jake there. Looking forward to having you back :goodvibes

Thank you :). We are starting to finally feel "caught up". We still have things to do.....our coffee and end tables from Ikea just arrived today (Steve still has to put them together.....he's SUPER excited about that :rolleyes2....not :rotfl:) and we are still waiting on our blinds to ship (wish they'd hurry up so we have some privacy finally). But we've got photos on the walls and the number of boxes left to unpack are less than 5. So, not too bad considering!

Hey Gina! Your PTR location is the online equivalent of the Mad Tea Party spinning tea cup ride! I went down several pages on the Orlando Attractions forum, and finally decided your move couldn't have taken THAT long! Luckily a quick search found you again...

I'm still looking at the weekend of May 5-6 for a quick SeaWorld trip. I am considering scaling the trip back to just one night, due to some unexpected expenses (I have a lovely new washer). We would drive down Saturday morning, spend some time at the park that day and on Sunday, hang at the pool Saturday afternoon and/or evening, and schedule in a DISMeet at your convenience. It's still not a done deal. My son has a pretty heavy school work load, but we could just return relatively early on Sunday if it is not too bad.

I will stay in touch.
Oh, I like that analogy!! My whole life kinda feels that way most days, too! :rotfl2:

Sorry to hear about the unexpected appliance upgrade.....those kind of things do put a kink in vacation budgets, for sure. Hopefully that's the last of your unexpected expenses and your Orlando getaway for the 5th and 6th remains intact :thumbsup2. Refresh my memory.....which resort are you planning to stay at again? We are wide open both days, so if/when your plans are firm, you can let me know if you wanted to meet at the park, meet for dinner, or whatever you like. It will be so great to finally meet you and your family!
Well, I am happy to have found your ever moving report again, just in time for an update. :wave: I know you are happy to have the task of moving behind you now. Glad you enjoyed you weekend with Jake! I know it is always so hard to see them leave. Excited to hear more details of your trip. Hoping soon that we can plan a trip to Orlando this year, just not sure when. Hopefully before our grandson turns three later this year. Life keeps getting in the way, even though it is good things like weddings of close friends and births of nephews.

We have to start giving some though to our trip later this year, too.....I need to start taking a peek at flights and see if we can find a good rate for October or early November. I've been kind of holding off until we see if Frontier is a win or a flop; I hate to book a second trip that airline until we know if its worth a second experience.

When does your little grandson turn 3?

Too bad you're there the week before us because we have 2 extra tickets to Moonlight Magic at AK while we're there.

Glad you're settling in!

Oh man, that would have been SWEET! (and super kind of you :goodvibes )

I guess I'll just have to wait for fall and plan to scratch my Disney itch at a MNSSHP or MVMCP, depending on when we end up booking.

Glad everything is going well with the new house! And love the kitty pictures :)

Thank you! Now, to get caught up on all the posts I'm behind on :scared:.

Dash and Violet look like they like their new home! Yes- cat momma here- and they do not like change! They get offended when we go on vacation. We leave for Orlando on the 11th to visit DS in the college program! Miss him! Need some sun and son!
The 11th of April?!? That's just a week away......you're on the final countdown! :banana:

You must be getting SO excited :hyper: (and I can imagine your boy is pretty pumped to have his momma visit, too :thumbsup2). Which park or resort does he work at?

So THAT'S what a moon pie looks like! So is it exactly like a Wagon Wheel? (Treat of my youth...) View attachment 313874

And the cats look like they've adjusted!

Congrats on your new home. :)

Thank you! :goodvibes

Moon Pies are EXACTLY like a Wagon Wheel......though no one here in Michigan knows what Wagon Wheels are, so they must be an exclusively Canadian thing :scratchin. Moon Pies are a bit smaller, though. Otherwise, all the same!

The only other time I'd heard of Moon Pies is on Big Bang Theory, when Sheldon's MeeMaw used that as his pet name :rotfl:.

Hi, momof2gr8kids where are you located? I am very excited to stay at SVR!

I absolutely cannot WAIT to hear what you think of the resort! I hope you love it as much as we do....it's such a beautiful place :cloud9:.

16 more days and I can submit our Diamond Lane requests!! :woohoo: It's getting close!

One of these days, we absolutely HAVE to make time to visit BG on one of our trips. I think we'd both love it, as it seems like the perfect blend: animals for me, coasters for Steve.

Makes me want to switch things up and add it on to this coming vacation ..... it's almost tempting, as tickets would only cost us $25 each with the DC ultimate package upgrade :scratchin.

We had snow today :sad2:. Squalls on and off all morning and most of the afternoon. Mother Nature needs a punch in the nose :mad:.

I have a hard time getting used to the difference in the Easter holiday here across the border. Good Friday seemed to be business as usual (we even had mail delivery) and Easter Monday doesn't exist at all. Easter always felt like a lovely, indulgent long weekend in Canada but here......it seems far too short!

Which dolphin cruise have you decided on? We had so much fun on our dolphin sailing a couple of years ago that I'd love to do another on a future trip. We went through Dolphin Landings, and they have a sunset cruise that looks simply fabulous.

If you search on You Tube you will find him. He lives near the parks and has annual passes for all the parks so he visits them all and posts his blogs. Might just give you a different perspective.

I will second Mrs Doubtfire's comments on Tim Tracker....he has some great videos that are absolutely worth a watch ::yes::. We have enjoyed many of his vlog posts!

Oh, I like that analogy!! My whole life kinda feels that way most days, too! :rotfl2:

Sorry to hear about the unexpected appliance upgrade.....those kind of things do put a kink in vacation budgets, for sure. Hopefully that's the last of your unexpected expenses and your Orlando getaway for the 5th and 6th remains intact :thumbsup2. Refresh my memory.....which resort are you planning to stay at again? We are wide open both days, so if/when your plans are firm, you can let me know if you wanted to meet at the park, meet for dinner, or whatever you like. It will be so great to finally meet you and your family!
This is going to sound strange, but if we stay two nights we’ll be at the Residence Inn SeaWorld, and if we stay just one night we’ll be at the Renaissance SeaWorld. It’s just the way the costs worked out.

ETA: I saw that HHN will have a Stranger Things house. We’re fans of the show, plus my daughter is way more into scary things now, so we may get back into the Universal groove later this year.

Last edited:
Gina, I read many trip reports but usually do not respond, preferring to lurk in the shadows of the internet. However, I could not stop myself from responding to this comment. I thoroughly enjoy reading your trip reports, and learning about what there is to do outside of the Disney bubble. Because of your reports, I plan on making a reservation at the Sheraton Vistana, as well as ride the Orlando eye. I hope that negative comments like this do not dissuade you from continuing to write them!

Aw, thank you so much! :hug: What a kind compliment :goodvibes.

I have long since come to terms with the fact that my style of travelling is definitely different from most folks here on the Dis, and I'm totally okay with that :). Different strokes for different folks, right? My only wish is that there was somewhere on the boards that my kind of trip report belongs. Especially in the case of this PTR, sometimes my threads "travel" more than I do! :rotfl2:

First of all Dash is adorable!!

Next, please don't apologize to us. Trip reports, writing them, and reading them, are a nice extra for all of us, after the business of life gets taken care of. Take care of life-- the move, work, and all that entails. I love reading your take on Orlando, you're so positive and your take on things, even when they don't go as planned, is so optimistic, and I appreciate that!

Wishing you smooth transitions this week!!
Dawn

Thank you Dawn! :goodvibes

Definitely hoping to get back to the chatter as we whittle away the last of the countdown. We leave in exactly ONE MONTH! :jumping1:

Oooh 46 days and counting, it's getting really close. Hope all goes well this week :goodvibes

Welcome back bankr63 glad the trip went well. I agree about the ever increasing prices, it must be out pricing some guests now, especially with the hotel parking charges.

My news is that we have just booked our next trip, going 7th December for 3 weeks and I have been shopping around to get good prices, especially on the flights. I've already said we might be giving it a miss now for a few years or so. I'll have to get a countdown ticker.

Wahoo! :cheer2: Congrats on booking your next trip! 3 weeks in December sounds nothing short of glorious :worship:. So now, we all need DETAILS! Where will you be staying? Which parks will you visit?

OK, I'm biting the bullet and jumping in! Fellow Canadians here :cloud9:. Gina, I've read every single one of your past trip reports, and have come to the conclusion that you and your hubby share my travel style pretty well I've been to Florida several times (and travelled extensively to other locales), but DH has never really been on vacation (family didn't have much money growing up, and he never had the interest before we met). I figured that Orlando would be a great 1st vacation destination for us and have been making notes (eat here, look for deals here, visit here!) from your TRs on what to see and do. I will be following and hopefully planning my own trip soon!

:welcome:, starrzone! Glad to have you joining in once again! My apologies for being tardy in answering your post.

If you have any questions as you dig into the planning for your trip, don't hesitate to toss them out. My readers are just as knowledgeable as I am, and are such a wonderful resource!!

Thanks for the update Gina! What a great week, ending with a visit from your boy! I wish you a successful move and an enjoying vacation. Catch up when you can, we will all still be here.

I envy all you who escaped some of this winter crap.

Thank you!! :goodvibes

At the rate we're going, it still might be snowing when WE leave for Florida next month......winter's grip is a tight one this year. Our poor bodies will go into shock when we step off the plane into heat and humidity :rotfl:.

Congrats on the house! I hope the move goes well on Friday.

Thank you! :)

Oops, looks like the site team moved us again. This is turning into the great Gina-Gina scavenger hunt! With all the moving going on in her life, Gina must be getting dizzy! :)

Hope your weekend moving goes well Gina!

I can hardly believe you guys have been able to find me each time I've been "reassigned" :rolleyes:. That's some awesome dedication on your part!

Seems like every time I finally DO get the chance to post, I can't figure out where my thread has gone :laughing:.

I really like reading Gina's reports in the Orlando Attractions forum. I've learned more about the various restaurants, resorts, and non-Disney attractions from her trip reports than any other single source. We chose our swamp tour a couple of years ago based on her recommendation as well as enjoying Hash House a Go Go after she went. Gina's talent for writing about events "beyond the bubble" should make her trip reports a perfect fit for the Orlando board. Just my 2 cents.

Gina-I hope you are having a great moving week and I love the picture of Dash.

Aw, thank you so much for those kind words! :goodvibes

I thought the Orlando Hotels & Attractions board was a good fit for me, too.....but alas, the mods have the final say. Hopefully my readers will continue to find me here in my latest location!

Okay! First I am sad I missed the beginning of your report Gina! I didn't get notification that you tagged me, or ok if I did I do not remember because I was hopped up on meds from my knee replacement surgery. :confused3:confused3 Ah well, I am here now!

I am sorry to hear about Jake's engagement :sad: I know he'll find the right person at the right time, but it sure does not make it any easier! I knew about the house stuff from facebook, but I am so happy you guys found a house you love and it was probably for the best! Gotta look at all the positives right? Murphy should be about done with you all for now, lord knows we have had our fair share of a blah start to the new year as well.

I was so excited when I saw you were visiting FL in May, :cheer2:but then sadly realized you will be gone by the time we arrive, 2 weeks later. :sad::sad::sad: We are in the midst of planning our 2 week Trip of Celebrations for late May early June. Tomorrow is our 60 day fp window, pixiedust:pixiedust: need a lot of that pixie dust for some of them! :rotfl:

Last time we really chatted on your trip report, I was bound and determined to go to Sea World, well wouldn't you know that I was not even thinking about it when I booked our trip and bought tickets?!! :confused3 Maybe next time, as this is all paid up now.

I hope you're getting settled into the house, I can't wait to hear more updates!
A big :welcome: to you as well, my friend! Glad to have you reading along once again!

How exciting for you all to have such a big, LONG trip on the oh-so-near horizon!! You all must be SO excited! :hyper: I hope you managed to get all the FP's you were hoping for :thumbsup2. With two weeks at your disposal, it should be fairly easy to incorporate all your must-do's. What all are you celebrating on your grand adventure? You have a graduation in the family this year, correct?

I hope your knee is getting better every day. My mom had a hip replacement last Thursday, so I can totally appreciate how long of a recovery that can be. You'll definitely test out the effectiveness of the new parts when you traverse the Disney parks on your 14 day extravaganza!!

This is going to sound strange, but if we stay two nights we’ll be at the Residence Inn SeaWorld, and if we stay just one night we’ll be at the Renaissance SeaWorld. It’s just the way the costs worked out.

We have had good stays at the Residence Inn SW in the past. Their free breakfast is great, and the rooms are spacious. Not as upscale as the Renaissance (nor in as prime a location......the proximity of the Renaissance to SW can't be beat) but very comfy nonetheless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter