Am I the Only One Who Thinks Disney is Failing In Its Progression Vs. Universal

serendipity

DIS Veteran
No flames meant here, we all love Disney (in fact I'm a Disney fanatic), but I've been underwhelmed with their progress as of late. For me, I do not see the cutting edge technology and expansions from the 80's and 90's. Universal has come out with a new roller coaster, Simpsons, Harry Potter, the Mummy etc. Disney has come out with Everest and Toy Story Mania. Don't get me wrong, I like these rides, but what's next? An expansion of Fantasyland including a ride based on a movie from the late 80's, a couple of new meet and greet locations and a new restaurant? I honestly think this fails in comparison, terribly.

Across the country we have Disneyland where they added a new fireworks show (which I admit to be excited for), and are creating Little Mermaid and Cars Land. Do we really a whole land dedicated to Cars? The ride may be fun, but a whole land? Why not Pixar land? Do they not remember the failure that is Bug's Land? Is this the best there is?

Sorry for the rant, but I'm frustrated. I've been going to Disney my whole life and for the first time, I'm spending half of my time off site my next visit visiting other parks. Why not create some of the rides Disney has put up in Disney Paris or Asia for that matter? I realize times are tough, but you need to spend money to make money, and Disney is loosing half their profit from me this year.

I'm actually very impressed with Disney's progress over the years.

Click

Went to Universal for the first time this year, we weren't impressed at all. Even the new Harry Potter attraction doesn't interest me much (wasn't open when we were there).

actually, I NEVER want Disney to base decisions on the competitions, per say. I would rather they continue to be the standard and continue to raise the bar - for themselves and the competition.

I agree. Disney's "progress" over the last decade or so has been pretty pathetic, and areas of the parks are definitely lacking. DHS is barely worth a half day and if it wasn't for ToT we probably wouldn't even bother.

I love the classic attractions, but they have fallen down on keeping the parks up to date in favor of building tons of hotel rooms. I don't understand why there isn't more Pixar stuff in the parks - I feel like something really amazing could be done with Up, at the very least.

actually, I NEVER want Disney to base decisions on the competitions, per say. I would rather they continue to be the standard and continue to raise the bar - for themselves and the competition.

Disney has been basing decision on the competition for years now. The problem is that Disney has not been raising many bars lately. In many cases they are even failing to meet the standards that they themselves created.

To the OP: No, you are not the only one who feels this way. Many longtime fans have been very upset at how Disney, but WDW in particular, has been run over the past few years.

I'm not sure if frustrated or underwhelmed are the right words for me.

I have had a few scratch your head moments - like the recent decision to build 8 plus million dollar homes on the property - I guess they are expecting a giant boom in the economy or something. There must be a bigger picture that I can't see yet in regards to that.

As far as the parks go though I think they are doing some great work. TSM is a prime example. Any ride that can consistently 'sell-out' on FP's AND have 90 plus minute wait times. They're doing something right!

I think Disney is using the cutting edge technology in their rides the same way Universal is, I just think there's are more family oriented. And the Little Mermaid is one of the best of their animated features IMO, and I am very excited about the ride.

In terms of pure "thrills," Disney isn't even close to Universal. But I think for each area in which Disney is behind, they're ahead in another. I'm not disappointed, I just hope the two parks keep pushing each other to do better.

I'm not sure if frustrated or underwhelmed are the right words for me.

I have had a few scratch your head moments - like the recent decision to build 8 plus million dollar homes on the property - I guess they are expecting a giant boom in the economy or something. There must be a bigger picture that I can't see yet in regards to that.
I have to agree with this and the OP.Disney seems in my opinion to have too many accountants working for them! The one thing they seem to focus on is hotels.The attractions are coming at alot slower rate than before.The other thing is at the rate they have raised prices you would think new attractions would really start coming.I love wdw but I think there has been a changing of the guard at the top(execs),I'm not really sure it is for the better either!

I totally agree with the OP, Disney is classic and I truly love the parks and the rides but they need some new additions to keep the never finished element that Walt envisioned. Adding new high tech rides and attractions would only enhance the parks IMHO.

Universal has cutting edge rides and attractions and Disney is just not even trying to keep up any longer. If you have seen Wizarding World of Harry Potter you can see that Disney needs to step it up several notches as far as the parks go.

Many of you may not agree, but that is fine opinions are like bathtubs most people have one:flower3:

I think I will have to agree with the OP. My DS9 wants bigger, better, faster. We are going to Disney for our last time in Oct. I LOVE Disney and would go there every year for the rest of my life if I could, but, it just doesn't have the appeal for tweens and teens. Since when is a 10 yr old an adult??? I am NOT paying adult prices for NO ADULT rides! The MAGIC is lost at age 10. On his wish list - Universal, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens and next years BIG trip - ATLANTIS, Nassau, Bahamas!! Oh yeah!!! (went 1 day on a cruise - awesome!!!) Like I said, I LOVE Disney!!! but, a Fantasy Land expansion with more princess meet and greets just is not going to do it for us. (and I got engaged beneath Cinderella Castle) LOVE Disney, and I will be back (after Oct 10) when I have grand babies!!! :love:

First I will say that Disney has many more parks than Universal, so I think they all kind of "take turns" when it comes to new rides and refurb.

I love wdw but I think there has been a changing of the guard at the top(execs),I'm not really sure it is for the better either!

I'd have to agree with this too. It seems like the Eisner years were big moving and shaking years for the company and it appears to have slowed down since then.

I will never liken wdw to Universal b/c IMO they are not on the same experience level, but as far as the bar that Disney set for itself, I feel like they could do better.

Just an example, one of the big "new" things that they're doing is building a huge DVC resort in Hawaii....not too exciting IMO. That's a revenue move right there, not focused on family entertainment but more on real estate.

In fact they seem very interested in real estate these days.

I consider Universal more in the class of Six Flags--a dirty park full of teenagers and great thrill rides.
If Universal was not down the road from WDW, it would not be compared. Universal spends big bucks in an effort to compete with Disney.
I doubt there are many of out of state passholders to US whereas many renew their APs at Disney year after year. We had passes the year IOA opened and have not had the desire to go back since. Have been to the world in excess of 100 days since and always eager for more.
How many Make a Wish kids are dreaming of Universal? What Superbowl Champ says "I won the Superbowl now I'm going to Universal? Any US brides? How many Europeans come over for a holiday to US? Brazillian tour groups?
It just is not in the same class, despite new rides and will always be the wannabe ugly stepsister. Nope, that's Disney too!

I just got back from Universal/IOA - my first time back there since the early 1990's (just Universal back then). I was very underwhelmed with the rides and the theming - even the merchandise. The Harry Potter area was cool - but way too crowded with not enough theming. The FJ ride was top notch however - most excellent. The kids loved US/IOA more than me (they are 12 and 8) but still missed Disney. To me, US/IOA is more like a place to go to ride stuff - like a Six Flags.

I do hope they keep pushing each other to improve though.:thumbsup2

I don't think Disney is perfect or above reproach, but it is important to keep in mind that WDW is a theme park, and not an amusement park. It's not just a semantic point; WDW will never challenge Universal, or any major amusement park, for thrill rides, unless they deviate substantially from their core vision, which is to immerse the entire person and family in the Disney experience. That means more than just running from roller coaster to roller coaster

This doesn't mean that they don't need to invest in new ideas and lands, but one of their strengths, in my opinion, is that they build for timeless enjoyment for the whole family. I agree that Pixar seems like it should/could be a larger focus, but I suspect WDW is waiting to see which of those movies enter the lexicon of history before dedicating a major expansion. Maybe they're missing the boat, but on the other hand, investing $200MM+ in an Up-themed roller coaster that may be irrelevant in a few years is risky.

On the other hand, I agree that DHS seems to be an ignored and forgotten park that desperately needs some love to bring it back to relevance.

On the other hand, I agree that DHS seems to be an ignored and forgotten park that desperately needs some love to bring it back to relevance.

The funny thing is that DHS is home to arguably three of the best rides at WDW -- ToT, RnR and TSM. Despite that, few would argue that the park itself is in need of some serious plussing.

I also think animal kingdom could add a little bit more too its attraction menu too.

The funny thing is that DHS is home to arguably three of the best rides at WDW -- ToT, RnR and TSM. Despite that, few would argue that the park itself is in need of some serious plussing.

That's a good point, and it also supports the theory that perhaps WDW should focus on theme parks rather than amusement parks, because they (and perhaps no company) can successfully merge the two, leaving two unsatisfying halves as a result.

Although more likely it (DHS) just was just an ill-planned reaction to Universal's looming encroachment from the beginning and, despite getting a few good rides, never had the creative underpinnings or backing necessary to create "the Hollywood that never was and forever will be".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter