Am I the Only One Who Thinks Disney is Failing In Its Progression Vs. Universal

Outdated is one thing, having a roller coaster around every other bind is something else all together. Let's not confuse the two. Disney does not need to be a roller coaster park. That is why they call it a "theme park".

As far as technology goes I'm not sure where they missed the gap between the 80's and 80's, I think if anything they missed the 00's to the 10 if they missed anything. Disney has made some nice technical changes to some of there current rides. The first three that come to mind are Fiestas Mexico ride, HM, and POTC. In my opinion the bride in Mansion is impressive and so is the Jack Sparrow animatronic.

Another thing that comes to mind is Alien Encounter. The sensory and technology in that ride was second to none I've seen. If you're going to complain about one of Disney's best technical attractions and have it removed (and you know who you are) then you have to deal with the watered down Stitch version.

I'm not saying there is not room for improvement and my understanding is the Mermaid attraction will use effects not seen in any theme/amusement park right now. With Disney making very few action oriented movies ala The Mummy I don't know how action packed a family theme parks rides will get.

I'm not going to compare Disney to other parks. And I should also say that I don't even like fast rides at all. But I will say, Disney has been lacking in their refurbs for a long time. I understand things need to be changed from time to time~But not all the time, and not always the things they change.

For example: Spaceship Earth. They dumbed down the script for the narrator. Brought in a worse voice then Jeremy Irons, and added a cheap cartoon (Not unlike an Esurance commercial) for the end of the ride. Now if you take this ride more then a couple of times per vacation~It gets old very fast.

Then there is the changing of El Rio Del Tiempo into the Three Caballeros. Ok? Donald Duck has nothing to do with trying to showcase an authentic, albeit romantic, Mexico. You don't see the Disney characters helping out any other country in World Showcase. It just doesn't fit well.

How about the whole Fantasyland expansion. That is all well and good if you love the princesses and girly crap. I have a 5 yr old boy. He doesn't care about any of that. He just knows that Goofy's Barnstormer will be renamed and there will be yet another clam shell type of ride with Arielle the little mermaid. Whoopie.

Anyway, i'm still holding out some hope that they will bring the Pixar gang more into focus. I'd love to see a character meal with Woody, Buzz, and the gang. I wonder if that would ever happen?

I could point out flaws with Universal (Before i've even been there once) Like how many motion rides do you need? I don't do motion rides so all of them are a waste of time for me. And some things don't appeal to me because of their age (With all companies) Honey I shrunk, ET, Muppets, Jaws, etc all older. I'm sure most little kids have never heard of any of those except by visiting them in the parks.

I should preface this with stating that I've never been to Universal, I've just seen pictures and read about it online. There are parts of it I do want to visit, I've been wanting to go on the Jurassic Park ride since it opened for instance. But from what I've seen so far I don't think it would hold my interest nearly as much as WDW does.

As others have said, WDW is a theme park rather than just an amusement park, and it's one that does amazingly well in their attention to detail. One thing that surprised be when I was looking at pictures of Universal is how their costumes don't seem to hold a candle to the ones at Disney, and just how many of their face characters didn't even seem to look remotely like who they were representing. I know pictures can be deceiving, but several of them just flat out looked too old to be who they were portraying, which seriously throws me off. And while I do agree that the Harry Potter area looks amazing, I've heard that a lot of fans don't think their costuming is really up to snuff. I know that most people going to Universal are going there for the rides and such rather than the costumes the characters are wearing, but when you aren't a fan of roller coasters you have to pay attention to something else. Disney's attention to detail seems to encompass everything in their parks, while Universal... not so much.

Though I know it won't happen, I think people need to wait till the Fantasyland expansion is built before judging it. I'm certainly not saying it's going to be the next Wizarding World (I may be a hardcore Disney fan but I'm not delusional!) but I think it'll be more impressive than a lot of people seem to think.

Universal seems great for what it is, a nice place for thrill rides. Disney will never have as many thrill rides, but will (most likely) continue to have better theming and attention to detail. So to make a short story long, I think both parks are progressing just fine on their own.

Also, everytime I look at a map of MK, I think of all the room for growth if they cut out the Jungle Cruise.

Blasphemer!! ;) This is one of the few classic rides that I don't think needs an update. This is the must-do ride for me in MK every time.

We "love" WDW, we "like" universal/IOA. We can do both Universal and IOA in one day because we don't like thrill rides all that much and my DS has a disability and can't go on roller coasters, etc. So, disney is perfect for us. We do wish though, that they would develop more rides/attractions that appealed to boys more. We are sick of the Princess themed things. :cool2:

As a family with all girls, I 100% agree about more boy or older kid themed character dining. This has been addressed to Disney for years by people here but for some reason, they just don't do it. :confused3 My 8 year old is completely over the princesses. I get that they are a big money maker but so can other options, especially if they appeal to both girls AND boys.

A pirate breakfast at Shutters, a Woody's Round-Up Breakfast in Wispering Canyon Cafe or Liberty Tree Tavern, a Monsters Inc. breakfast buffet at Cosmic Rays and lastly, convert the useless Tomorrowland stage into a Galactic interactive character dining - with views of Buzz Lightyear Ride!! I don't see how that would be a huge hit.

I also think they need to do more for the tween set. Maybe do an interactive Disney Channel/Radio Trivia Game (similar to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire at DHS) Maybe change out the Indiana Jones stunt show for a Prince of Persia show. How about a Narnia themed ride in DHS too? I also think they should change Soarin to all of United States or at least Florida. Last time I checked, Disney World is no where near Cali. It was great to start off with and I do love it, but it is time for an appropriate change.

At least they are changing up Star Tours. That is much needed and is very kids of all ages friendly.

I know this would be expensive, but they could do so much more with DHS to incorporate the newer movies, so they could leave MK alone to be "classic". They could leave Sunset Blvd alone, as that's so popular already, and of course TSMM is based on a newer movie, so that could stay. But there is space for attractions to be made with cutting-edge technology to incorporate newer movies into immersive experiences. They don't all have to be thrill rides - there is so much that can be done nowadays that is suitable for most ages, but is also totally immersive. The use of holograms, kuka arms etc. can create fantastic "rides" and experiences that don't have to have height restrictions as high as 48 inches or more. An attraction based on a G-rated Pixar movie could accomodate all and be not thrill-oriented, but an attraction based on Narnia, for example, could have more of a thrill and therefore a 40 or 44 inch restriction, to appeal to the older age group (who are the ones that would know those movies anyway, as they are not G-rated).

DHS would then become the park to go to for all the great new stuff, and new characters would be introduced there regularly (I know they do this to some extent already, but they could do more). Oh, the possibilities are endless ......

In terms of pure "thrills," Disney isn't even close to Universal. But I think for each area in which Disney is behind, they're ahead in another. I'm not disappointed, I just hope the two parks keep pushing each other to do better.

"Thrill rides" haven't exactly done much for US.
What 19 million last quarter? Just over 6 million a month?

actually, I NEVER want Disney to base decisions on the competitions, per say. I would rather they continue to be the standard and continue to raise the bar - for themselves and the competition.

I agree.
We keep hearing US newest thing is better than disney...Spiderman, Hulk, Dualing Dragons, JP, Simpons, Mummy, MiB, BtoF. The whole park is a history of big at the momment forgotten 2 years later rides.
Disney takes a different approach, they watch, think about it, plan it, and look at it somemore before they decide it's right to go with.
Most of the time, their major additions are huge hits because of their planning.

The problem with Disney now, IMHO, is that it's all franchises, promotions, brand recognition and DVC Villas right now. But obviously, it's money in the bank, and despite what anyone says, the slow economic downturn over the last decade is not going anywhere. So Disney sees that its long-term strength is Pixie Hollow and Kidani Village. They're not going to reevaluate their approach to business or entertainment if the numbers look good.

As far as Universal is concerned, Disney is certainly falling behind in terms of innovation. But other than that, the mouse does everything better.

The number of DVC'ers grows each year and as is many have a hard time getting room in the resort they want.
And DVC'ers are a long term commitment to disney, thus I can see Disney working hard to keep up with demand for rooms.
It equals guaranteed future earnings.
And they are planning new non DVC resorts also, though I would like to see a new Mod as well.

To be honest, I hate all of this comparison stuff. It often seems like Disney fans are more in competition with Universal than Disney itself is.

I love WDW. I love Universal. They are both fun and special in their own way and with luck, they'll push each other to do more and more. I personally plan to always visit both and I go out of my way to never compare them. WDW could use some help but that's only to make themselves better and not to try to one up Universal. WDW's shortcomings have nothing to do with Universal but with only their lack of effort lately. I believe the same is true of Universal.

Also, saying that Universal is like Six Flags is ludicrous. I've been to Six Flags and no other park has ever pushed me to that level of irritation.

Just my two cents.

While I wouldn't say it ludicrous.
I would say US way better than 6 Flags.

Disney is far above US.
And US far above 6 Flags.

And I love that last statement. That's how I felt last time I visited as well.

As for OP view...I don't totally agree,
Look what TSMM and EE have done for their parks.
So far nothing US has done as worked to raise their level of competition.
Now maybe HP will change that, but that's yet to be seen.
With US history of hype and failure to drawing people for more than a day, my opinoin is HP world will be seen as more of the same 5 years from now.

But OP, it doesn't hurt to voice opinoins and bring discussion to keep them thinking and on their toes.

Just visited Universal for the first time now that the kids are older. I agree with the previous poster that said Universal is a glorified Six Flags. Great thrill rides. I would not include the simulation rides like the Simpsons as an advancement in ride tech over what is currently at disney. But this is definately a good discussion and one the I hope the imagineers are keeping track of.

Overall, I still think disney is a better park experience.

I have loved Disney all my life, even when I was a tiny little thing and the only park was in faraway California. I've never been to Universal but that is due more to the fact that is geared to thrill rides and I don't care for those. I've heard many good things about them though. I still think you can't really compare the two. Apples to oranges since they don't target the same demographics. I will be going to IOA on my December trip in order to take a peek at Harry Potter since I've heard such great things about the theming. I think we tend to forget on these boards that many who go to Disney aren't multiple repeat visitors and aren't aware of the "been there, done that" miasma that can affect even the most devoted Disney fan.

For those pushing for more boy oriented things, keep in mind that Disney has taken a couple of steps that might indicate more attention to the fellahs in the future: the purchase of Pixar and the purchase of Marvel. Granted, Universal has the theme park licensing to some of the Marvel characters but not all of them. Since Disney is an immersive theme-park rather than a ride-centric amusement park, it takes time to develop concepts. How many years was the Fantasyland expansion on the drawing board before it was announced? It will take three more years to complete the expansion, if all goes well. I work for an engineering firm, you'd be amazed at what goes into simple construction much less something on this scale. The acquisition of Marvel and even Pixar is so recent that bringing in attractions for either will take time.

I remember worrying when Expedition Everest was built, the fear that "some roller coaster just to build a thrill ride" was going to ruin the look of Animal Kingdom. EE was themed beautifully and adds so much to that section of the park. A company that will send its designers to Tibet for several months to ensure meticulous attention to detail is, to me, one that "gets it". I suspect that's why Harry Potter will add a lot to IOA as well. Universal, working with J.K. Rowling and the movie set designers, are bringing that same level of excellence to their own area.

If you look at historic Disney theme parks, there has never been a continuous curve of development. You'll have the first major release, then a pause, then an attraction or perhaps a new parade, then another wave. For Walt Disney World, some of the expansion was centered on immersing the guest 24 hours by the addition of new lodging choices. Oh yes, I know some criticize Eisner's hotel fever and deplore the addition of moderates and value resorts. I've been through some tough times and those more inexpensive lodgings meant a great deal to me when I could not have afforded the Poly and Contemporary. During that time, we also saw two new parks added as well as the water parks. Some don't like Animal Kingdom. I do. Some adore the water parks. I don't. But, the beauty of Disney is that there really is something for everyone.

The Fantasyland expansion is the first major wave for Walt Disney World in quite awhile. Even Disney, deep as its pockets are, can't sustain huge waves of expansion. I'm hoping that, as the economy improves, we may see more updates to the parks themselves. Perhaps more action-boy themed areas in DHS (we already have Indy, Star Wars, TSM so it seems a likely candidate to bring in more Pixar and start incorporating those Marvel creations that aren't licensed to Universal). Animal Kingdom had its big new attraction with EE but I'm still hopeful that it may be in the next wave or two finally get Beastly Kingdom or perhaps another "real" continent such as Australia or South America with their richness of fauna and flora. EPCOT could certainly get some uplifts, to existing attractions as well as additions to World Showcase.

What was it Walt Disney said about Disneyland? Something about it will never be done? Well, I've been going to Walt Disney World since the early '70s and Disneyland before that. There have been many changes to both but those changes haven't happened in a year or two. They happen over decades so, you young ones will just have to be a little patient and accept that you won't have all the cool new stuff next year. You'll also have the joyful discovery that a ride you loved as a child brings as big a grin to your little boy's face when he rides it the first time or that first meeting with Aurora or Cinderella leaves your little girl stammering with excitement just as you did when you met your very first princess.

There is no question that WDW is way more successful than Universal in terms of attendance. I believe that MK drives that success to a large degree (with some assistance from Epcot) and I imagine that it always will.

The point is that comparisons can be made aside from attendance. Whose technology is more advanced? Who is making an attempt to add something new and different? It's easy for Disney because they already have the reputation and their fans come no matter what. Parks such as Universal have an uphill battle to lure people particularly in a depressed economy. They should at least get credit for trying to do so.

Besides I still believe that people who enjoy thrill rides are split among many parks whereas Disney has the only parks that provide the more child-centric experience that it has. Universal has some of that IMO but the perception is still that Universal is a thrill ride park so fans of that is likely what it lures more of. Those same people can go to Busch Gardens and even to a lesser degree, Disney and Sea World and that's just in one small area.

To be honest, I hate all of this comparison stuff. It often seems like Disney fans are more in competition with Universal than Disney itself is.

I love WDW. I love Universal. They are both fun and special in their own way and with luck, they'll push each other to do more and more. I personally plan to always visit both and I go out of my way to never compare them. WDW could use some help but that's only to make themselves better and not to try to one up Universal. WDW's shortcomings have nothing to do with Universal but with only their lack of effort lately. I believe the same is true of Universal.

Also, saying that Universal is like Six Flags is ludicrous. I've been to Six Flags and no other park has ever pushed me to that level of irritation.

Just my two cents.

:thumbsup2

There is nothing dirty about Universal parks. They are as clean and maybe even fresher looking that the WDW parks. I visit both on a regular basis since I live within a few minutes of both. Also, most of the people I see at Universal are not teenagers.

By the way, the British seem to LOVE Universal. Try asking about it on the UK board. I think you'll find that many come to Florida in part because of Universal.

It never ceases to amaze me. As soon as someone brings up a thread comparing WDW to Universal, there are those that think they have to bash Universal. Both WDW and Universal have great parks. One can like Universal and not be disloyal to WDW.

:thumbsup2 We love both places for different reasons.

The number of DVC'ers grows each year and as is many have a hard time getting room in the resort they want.
And DVC'ers are a long term commitment to disney, thus I can see Disney working hard to keep up with demand for rooms.
It equals guaranteed future earnings.
And they are planning new non DVC resorts also, though I would like to see a new Mod as well.
I'm told that DVC'ers don't actually make Disney much money beyond the initial investment. I haven't seen any hard numbers though.

I do hope that Disney builds a few more resorts. Another moderate would be great.

I can see where OP is coming from.. I dont necessarily agree, I just understand their perspective.. but I'm gonna sum this issue all up very easily. All Disney has to do is add 2 thrill rides and boom, Universal isnt even in this picture.. But think about everything Universal has to add or do to put Disney out of the picture.

I'm just sayin...:goodvibes

Since when is a 10 yr old an adult??? I am NOT paying adult prices for NO ADULT rides! The MAGIC is lost at age 10. On his wish list - Universal, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens and next years BIG trip - ATLANTIS, Nassau, Bahamas!! Oh yeah!!! (went 1 day on a cruise - awesome!!!)

Have you looked at THEIR tickets?

Universal - child is considered 3-9; 10 year olds pay adult prices
Busch Gardens - child is considered 3-9; 10 year olds pay adult prices
Discovery Cove seems to be the same price for everyone who's getting certain experiences, but I'm not putting in information to find that out.

Bottom line is, 10 IS considered "adult" by most theme parks, and a 10 year old (or their parents) WILL be paying adult prices for said 10 year old.

Again, my beef is that disney seems to put a lot of it's money into real estate these days. How does a DVC resort in Hawaii go with the theme parks at all?

And to address another poster, aren't those DVC'ers who have trouble finding a resort just having trouble finding a different resort than their home resort? I may be wrong but I thought you always have a room at your home resort but its when you want to try another resort that you may have trouble finding room, right? So really there are enough rooms for DVC members, just not enough at certain resorts that people might want to try.

Then there is the changing of El Rio Del Tiempo into the Three Caballeros. Ok? Donald Duck has nothing to do with trying to showcase an authentic, albeit romantic, Mexico. You don't see the Disney characters helping out any other country in World Showcase. It just doesn't fit well.

The ride was re-themed in that way b/c of the classic disney movie from 1945, the Three Caballeros. The movie had donald and the other two birds exploring Mexico and South America. So in that way, it does go with the Mexico theme. But for those who haven't seen the movie, I can see where the confusion is.

...Oh yes, I know some criticize Eisner's hotel fever and deplore the addition of moderates and value resorts. I've been through some tough times and those more inexpensive lodgings meant a great deal to me when I could not have afforded the Poly and Contemporary...

ditto. i don't understand the criticism of the hotel expansions. they have the land to do it and guests have to stay somewhere. i would rather Disney attract guests by better accomodating them then by resorting to cheapening the parks.

while we all have our ideas and criticisms of the parks, fact is that Disney is still the pinnacle of theme parks and family entertainment. hopefully they continue to do what they've done since Walt started it all.

No flames meant here, we all love Disney (in fact I'm a Disney fanatic), but I've been underwhelmed with their progress as of late. For me, I do not see the cutting edge technology and expansions from the 80's and 90's. Universal has come out with a new roller coaster, Simpsons, Harry Potter, the Mummy etc. Disney has come out with Everest and Toy Story Mania. Don't get me wrong, I like these rides, but what's next? An expansion of Fantasyland including a ride based on a movie from the late 80's, a couple of new meet and greet locations and a new restaurant? I honestly think this fails in comparison, terribly.

I do not feel this way at all. In fact, all of the Universal rides you mentioned remind me of an already existing (or retired) Disney ride. I don't see any innovention there at all...Simpsons - Star Tours, Body Wars, Soarin' (to an extent), etc., Harry Potter - Sum of All Thrills, Mummy - Any Coaster...

I'm told that DVC'ers don't actually make Disney much money beyond the initial investment...

that's hard to believe. why would Disney continue to expand such an elaborate scheme if there were little to no money to be made? i think they are making good and guaranteed money with this.

I can see where OP is coming from.. I dont necessarily agree, I just understand their perspective.. but I'm gonna sum this issue all up very easily. All Disney has to do is add 2 thrill rides and boom, Universal isnt even in this picture.. But think about everything Universal has to add or do to put Disney out of the picture.

I'm just sayin...:goodvibes

Hmmmm....okay Mr. Latecomer with your overly-simplified theory and solution after some people spent hours here trying to say something and barely arrived at a decent point....YOU REALLY HAVE SOMETHING HERE. Two large thrill rides would do it for me....one at Epcot and one at Animal Kingdom. Of course, if we are drawing up dreams here, the timeline would have to be by summer of 2012, but this would really show progress....IMHO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter