Am I the only person that hates it when staff tells people to move forward and to fill in all empty space in lines?

Well the reality is you'll be back to pre-pandemic days pretty much everywhere irrespective of how one feels about the situation so while I agree with some personal space as I think we all enjoyed that you're not going to get what you had before.

I don't think people need to be pushing and shoving but you also need to understand you're in a theme park with no such restriction or health guidance to stay away from people the same as before.

I'd rather wait longer than be forced to squeeze too closely to strangers. A CM can yell as much as they want: I will move as close as I can to accommodate new guests coming in, but only to a point. Most CMs are reasonable - a few have been ridiculous.

I just won't do it. If I can (like in a pre-show situation), I'll move to the very outside of the pack to give myself some space. If I can't, I'll get as close as I'm comfortable with and that's it. Yes of course there's the public health component. But also, when people can barely move, it heightens anxiety and leads to aggressive behavior. Having a Cast Member repeatedly yell that you need to get EVEN CLOSER compounds the negative effects. In every other situation, I comply readily with Cast Members' requests, but not this one. I ignore the yelling and just go zen lol. It's a terrible practice, it's dangerous, and they need to stop doing this.
You can't really advocate for a CM to be yelling in true anger, I think people automatically perceive a raised voice from a CM to be yelling when they probably are just trying to make sure everyone hears them.

In any case though while I can understand where you're coming from repeatedly disregarding a CM's directive makes you the issue, makes you the problem, makes you the aggressor in this situation and makes you violating park rules especially if we're talking about safety like monorail doors closing. It has always gone with the territory when going to a theme park what risks one took. At this point while I wouldn't say smush yourself up against someone else just for the sake of it take into consideration that for as much as you are saying it creates problems with others guests it creates problems when guests don't follow the directions told to them by CMs.

If you feel a particular CM is unnecessarily rude, abrupt or doing things willy nilly reach out to Disney to let them know but to just disregard what they tell you to do can put others at risk, or others in a bad position who are just following what they are told.

In any case though while I can understand where you're coming from repeatedly disregarding a CM's directive makes you the issue, makes you the problem, makes you the aggressor in this situation and makes you violating park rules especially if we're talking about safety like monorail doors closing.
Well of course I'm not going to stand in the doorway of a monorail so the doors don't close lol. But I'm also not putting my face inches from the back of someone's head in the Haunted Mansion line just because someone tells me to. It's common sense. Sometimes CMs take the whole "fill in all of the available space" thing too far ("if you have air, there's room to spare"...come on, really?). Cramming hundreds of people into as tight of a space as possible is really actually unsafe for lots of reasons. I'm not going to get in a fight with a CM over it, but I'm also not moving any closer to someone than what is appropriate and safe. I've said to a CM before "this is as close as I'm comfortable getting", and I've never had someone push back after that.

Honestly my biggest gripe about Disney. The worst is when they are yelling if you can see the floor you aren’t close enough. Yeah- not happening. I actually don’t ride rockin roller coaster anymore because it’s so bad there.

It's common sense.
Is it common sense? I mean the monorail yeah but that wasn't really the bulk of what I was talking about. If you want to use HM as an example it's dark in HM and putting people towards the middle helps with ensuring the doors can close and open without a potential of someone getting hit. When it's slow days you can more easily move around without issues but not when you start getting more and more people in the parks.

I've said to a CM before "this is as close as I'm comfortable getting", and I've never had someone push back after that.
But they really can't. This is part of the issue that I was bringing up. There is only so much a CM can do. You don't want them to yell at you but then you give the example that when they don't push back it must be okay. That's working with people 101. Would you like them to call security on you? Doubtful. That's about recognizing just how much they can and can't do. Try to make it easier on them and comply with their directions. If you have an issue with the way someone does it speak out to Disney about it but don't just say you won't comply. You're putting them in a bad situation. They are just doing their job and we would all complain (and many do) when the CM's seemingly don't do their jobs. We can't have it both ways here.

It really is ludicrous. After getting COVID on our last WDW trip, I will definitely be bringing masks for indoor queues where they herd you all together like that. I don’t need some mouth-breather wheezing on me while I’m in the pre-show of GOTG or something 😂

Once I was in mickys philamagic and the CM was lining people up like a fire drill. Not just standing in a huddle with your group, you are in a line, one behind the other. So people are all stacked to the one side. One side was empty. Like they just got word 300 people are arriving in two mins.

So glad we had a wheelchair and off to the side.

As for lines, as long as people are not letting big gaps in between them, I have no issues. I have more problems with people and their big backpacks hanging over into the line next to them.
But on rides and transportation, I do not blame WDW I blame the people that think they're to "special" and do not need to follow the directions. How many times do you get on a bus, and you darn well know it will be standing room only, yet you got these (I will be nice) "arrogant" people that will stop in the middle of the bus to stand. Even after the bus driver keeps telling them to move all the way to the back, they just keep standing there or move 2 feeto_O.
The people in theatre's that stop in the middle of the row to sit down after CM's have mentioned many times to go to the end of the row, causing a big back up. Unfortunately, I could go on and on.

I'm more irritated with oblivious people with their nose in their phones who don't keep up with the line. Regardless that Disney keeps us on our phone.

One eyeball for the line. One for the phone. 🤣
Agree. Seems the problem is more obliviousness rather than just maintaining social distance. Yes, sometimes your attention is necessarily pulled away at just the wrong time but often it is just daydreaming or nose in their phone issues.

Agree. Seems the problem is more obliviousness rather than just maintaining social distance. Yes, sometimes your attention is necessarily pulled away at just the wrong time but often it is just daydreaming or nose in their phone issues.
When we were there last year games sorta took over as well. Heads Up while a fun game to pass the time (and one we played in a line or two ourselves) we found people didn't keep up in the lines. Test Track that happened a lot with this one group not immediately in front of us but quite a ways up but they would get to guessing and completely stand still instead of moving and it would end up being quite the distance between them and the next group and that kept happening.

If you don't want to follow the CM directions and move up, don't be surprised if someone else goes around you to fill in the spot. They've gone back to how it was before, but it really doesn't matter how close you are, you can still catch viruses. I've had Covid twice and both times caught it in Orlando. I do keep a mask handy for when I am in a crowd.

It funny when they tell people to slide down the benches for shows. One bench will have a bunch of compliant folks all squished together, 8 different families. Next bench is 3 families spread out and not budging.

I‘m somewhere in the middle. We’ll scooch down and try to keep our family from taking more real estate than necessary. I will always leave a foot of space on both sides of our party.

The theater seat people drive me crazy. I’m usually not a passive aggressive person and when I’m at Disney nothing really bothers me but I’ve been known to make a comment when people do that. Especially if I now have to squeeze by you to get to the end of the row. This happens a lot at Philharmagic. There’s always those people who sit right in the center and everyone has to squeeze by them. I guess they like sweaty butts in their faces. I don’t get it.

As for lines, as long as people are not letting big gaps in between them, I have no issues. I have more problems with people and their big backpacks hanging over into the line next to them.
But on rides and transportation, I do not blame WDW I blame the people that think they're to "special" and do not need to follow the directions. How many times do you get on a bus, and you darn well know it will be standing room only, yet you got these (I will be nice) "arrogant" people that will stop in the middle of the bus to stand. Even after the bus driver keeps telling them to move all the way to the back, they just keep standing there or move 2 feeto_O.
The people in theatre's that stop in the middle of the row to sit down after CM's have mentioned many times to go to the end of the row, causing a big back up. Unfortunately, I could go on and on.
Please be weary about people on the bus being “arrogant”- one time we had gotten on and myself and one other person in my family had very obvious mobility issues(I had a brace on my leg). The next available spot at the back of the bus was right at the top of the stairs and we were afraid of falling so we tucked ourselves to the side of the bottom row of seats. I don’t know what happened but then a lady getting on as people were slowly moving back(probably also not too confident on that spot before the stairs) just screamed at everybody(going to clarify she wasn’t a cast member) “JUST MOVE IT ALREADY.” I’m looking behind me like we aren’t blocking anybody?! And people are moving, that top section has limited standing room, you kinda just have to squish together on the bottom at a certain point

The theater seat people drive me crazy. I’m usually not a passive aggressive person and when I’m at Disney nothing really bothers me but I’ve been known to make a comment when people do that. Especially if I now have to squeeze by you to get to the end of the row. This happens a lot at Philharmagic. There’s always those people who sit right in the center and everyone has to squeeze by them. I guess they like sweaty butts in their faces. I don’t get it.
I think the only theater show where you're probably not going to have too much of an issue unless it's a super crowded day is CoP, it helps that while it's not a continuous load there's more frequent opportunities to be let in to be seated. Seems almost all the time we go on that there's not really a directive to move on down but there's rarely ever a space issue.

They need to get rid of the HM stretching room. It was bypassed during Covid and it should have stayed that way. Now I realize many people enjoy that part, and I'm just one whiny voice against it, but HM has one of the worst ride entries in the park. After the stretching room, everyone just crams into that queue area near the doom buggies. If they ever do another major refurb, they should rethink the stretching room and the area near the conveyor :worship: Although I'm sure they're gonna do it because some random person on a Disney forum said they should :badpc:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter