America West Airlines?

sigafoos

Mouseketeer
I'm looking at flights to MCO in March and America West has some flights that fit my schedule but I have no experience with them. My connection would be in Las Vegas and I have no experience with that airport either. Anyone have information for me?
Kim:D

Not yet, but we're flying them in a couple weeks!
My impression is that they're as good as any major airline, just smaller.

I'd loved to hear your report when you get back on the airline. They are an option we are considering for a trip to ALaska next year, and would love to hear anything about them.

We've had good and bad experiences with AW flying to the southwest , which is their home turf.

The bad was REALLY bad and the good was good. They have improved dramatically amongst places that rate the airlines in the past 2 years, so hopefully, you will have good luck with them. I would like to have used them later this year to fly out west, but they didn't have any good fares at the times I needed. They are one of the few airlines that flies direct, no stops, connections from the east coast to Phoenix.

I have flown with America West Airlines for more than 10 years and have found them to be the best of all the Economy airline. I like the assigned seats (unlike Southwest Arilines Cattle Call). From Places like Phoenix or Las Vegas they have many direct flights that make it convienient if you live in those two areas.

FLYING WITH SMALL CHILDREN
We have 2 small Children that fly with us often. We would take our 1 1/2 year old child as a lap child and they would have no problem seating us both in separate seats (if available). Our son was given Plastic toy Wings and the attendant was glad to give us extra juice or peanuts etc. for our kids. Economy airlines usually don't go the extra mile for little kids because they don't pay the bill. Continental and Hawian Air Delta, and United demanded that we purchase separate seats even if there may be empty seats all over the aircraft. The Continental Airline Attendants in our traveling experience are the worst.

AMERICA WEST FREQUENT FLIER PROGRAM
America West has one of the best Frequent flier programs and you can get a free round trip ticket by booking only 4 round trip flights. They have a bonus 3000 miles per flight so for 1 flight 4000 miles is excellent. It takes only 20,000. miles for one round trip and they will give you 3000 for opening up a new Fight Fund account. I am flying my family of 4 for 80,000. miles and all I pay is the $5.00 security fee for each ticket. That is only $20.00 for our entire flight!

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
Fly what ever airline serves your community the best. Now I understand when if comes to traveling, booking a direct flight (or most direct route) is the best way to go if possible. America West Serves the Southwestern United States well, especially Phoenix and Las Vegas. You may get routed though PHX or LV or though one of there eastern hubs (i.e. Columbus OH etc) so it depends on where you are flying from. Check the restrictions on your ticket too. No matter what airline you book through, you get what you pay for. Pay a little extra and get a paper ticket, not an "E" ticket. If you book a discount internet ticket, or if the flight is over booked and you don't arive at the airport at least 20 minutes prior to your flight, there is a possibility that you may get put on a later flight. Get to the airport early. When I did book cheep Internet E tickets with them America West Agents (in my experience) were sometimes willing to ajust off penalties or extra fees etc when I asked them (IE changing dates of travel, etc). It never hurts to ask.

Check out the America West Flight ROUTE MAP to see if they have flights that serve your area Directly
http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/companyprofile/aa_routemap.htm

James from Phoenix Arizona

I have not flown American West, but unless there is some unknown reason I would not pay the extra for the paper ticket.

The Paper ticket costs would not change your fare basis so you would still be on "cheap internet tickets" just one's with paper.

If paper tickets are lost, the airlines have differing methods for dealing with it. (Having lost a few, the fees range from $75 to having you buy a full fare ticket which is eventually refunded if your "Lost" ticket is not used)

There is this theory that if the flight does not take off due to weather or mechanical you can just go to another airline with your paper ticket and they will take you. That is NOT true. If you have a FULL FARE ticket, they will gladly put you on thier plane. Otherwise your original carrier must "write you over" which means paper or eticket you are standing in the line.

Noted... I agree. Paying full fare ticket with fewest restrictions as possible is the best. Check out America West Full Fares and see if it is that much more. I do not agree that paying extra for a Paper ticket is a waste of money. It is true that the restrictions are still the same wether one has an E ticket or paper ticket, but it is not that much extra for a Paper ticket. I guess for myself it is my personal Prefferance. I like to have a document in my hand for my travel protection. It is best to have more than just a comfirmation number or a computer print out in ones hand.

Yes what ever airline you book it's always good to read the fine print and know what you are paying for or not paying for in the case of restrictions or hidden fees for changing the dates of travel.

With cheep Internet E tickets I always book with a day or two cushion at the beginning of my vacation and the end just in case I can't get back righ away for work. Especially if I am flying though Houston or New York or East Coast where just 1 airport weather event can delay all the other airports like a domino effect.

In 1998 I spent my vacation in a Houston Airport terminal (because of bad weather) sweating the fact that we might have to miss our cruise etc. with only an E ticket number in hand and I soon found out that we were not only coach but treated as Lowest 4th class customers with Continental.

I have never had a problem with America West in 10 years and over 50 flights. I have always been treated with respect even if I was traveling on a very cheep inernetl E ticket. I just don't expect Full Fare options for basement prices... Be prepared. :-)

James from Tempe (Phoenix)

Faithfully reporting back after our trip. Everything went very smoothly. In spite of delayed takeoff for de-icing in Columbus, we arrived right on time in Orlando. Actually arrived a little early on return trip. No issues whatsoever. I recommend them!

Even though there is only one flight a day Columbus-Orlando, the times were ideal and not having to change in Atlanta is priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter