An ex calls you out of the blue...

So the details if anyone cares. The "breakup" was only a few months ago, he just stopped calling or answering my calls/texts. I think he just wasn't ready/able to be in a serious relationship (it started out casual but was developing into more). For me I was there, I was ready, I was in love with him and told him as much.

I am/was finally in a good place and moving on. I don't believe that he is ready and I am not sure I want to go back there with him and get hurt again. I did not meet him.
Good for you for standing your ground and not succumbing to the temptation to meet up. Seriously. So many people would. I was expecting you would. You are strong and intelligent, and made a wise decision.

Depends which ex. My soon-to-be-ex-husband tried this recently and I ended up swearing at him a lot. He was abusive for years and was being a pushy, entitled jerk about it. But I had a couple of semi-serious boyfriends in high school that were really nice and I would absolutely date again.

While I hope the best for my ex-boyfriend, if he were to ever call me (I have no idea what his number is, so no caller ID to help) I would want to quickly get off the phone. If he dared to ask to get to together over drinks, I would tell him that it was inappropriate to ask because he knows I’m married and decline the invitation, and then I would hang up the phone.

Good for you for standing your ground and not succumbing to the temptation to meet up. Seriously. So many people would. I was expecting you would. You are strong and intelligent, and made a wise decision.
There is a part of me that so wanted to. And part of me that still does. But I know no good would come from it.

So many variables, what's my current situation, why did we break up, what have we both been doing since the break up etc.
If I was single, we split on relatively good terms and I was still fond of him... sure why not meet and chat?

Married so no.
If I wasn't I might. People change, I mean I haven't but I heard rumors that some do.

An ex calls you out of the blue and wants to meet for drinks. He/She tells you they be that man/woman now (for now) and that you could be happy. Do you meet him/her?

I would be okay with the first sentence. (Presuming I was single, so this is hypothetical.) Meet, catch up, see where it goes from there. However, the second sentence is entirely too forward and I'd lean towards running away.

I'm married so I have no interest in rekindling a romantic relationship with any of my exes. However, if they just wanted to catch up, or were passing through town then I might consider meeting up for coffee or food. One particular ex and I kept in contact until he recently passed away. Life's too short to hold grudges against people that were once a big part of my life.

This said, if the person had been physically abusive or just rotten then no way.

In your case I wouldn’t meet up with him.

I actually have an ex that seems to contact me right around the big milestones with my husband. He first contacted me right after my husband and I officially started calling each other boyfriend/girlfriend, wanting to meet for drinks at 1am . Next contact was after we got engaged and the last was a couple days before our wedding. I tell him no every time and then show the texts to my husband (he thinks it is funny). We are going to start trying for a baby later this year so I fully expect to receive another text if/when we find out we are pregnant.

Based off further info from the OP, no.

I had one former boyfriend "friend request" me on FB almost 20 years later. He was always a nice guy and outgoing so I'm guessing he just wanted to catch up. But I didn't accept his invite. I'm married, I really didn't know him anymore, and it just seemed odd to me.

I would be okay with the first sentence. (Presuming I was single, so this is hypothetical.) Meet, catch up, see where it goes from there. However, the second sentence is entirely too forward and I'd lean towards running away.
The issue I had with the his second comment/sentence was the "for now." It wasn't that he had time to think or whatever and he can be the man I need him to be it was he could be that man "for now."

It depends on what we split for, and if he's capable of having just a fruitful friendship. There are some ex bf's of mine I wouldn't mind checking up on.

I am married now, but I still have plenty of male friends that I keep in touch with. He'd only ever fall into that category. Sometimes you stop talking for silly reasons - those are the ones I'd probably like to reconnect with.

I still remember the guy who stopped seeing me after I told one of his friends we were "just friends" and not dating yet - which was true. We were close friends for 4 years before that moment, and it all ended that night.

Last edited:
I am a widow and I have reconnected with an ex-boyfriend. We have a great friendship now. We were just kids when we dated (early high school) so obviously we have both changed a lot. He lives 1000 miles away, but we talk and text a lot. I would say, depending on the situation, go for it. It may not be your next romance, but you may gain a good friend!

An ex calls you out of the blue and wants to meet for drinks. He/She tells you they be that man/woman now (for now) and that you could be happy. Do you meet him/her?

Sure! Would invite him over AGAIN to kick back with DH and me, having a few laughs, drinks and remembering the old days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter