An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been an instance where a sleeping "princess" was in the room and the parent was told to stay outside while the CM went into the room to perform the room check. A complaint was made to the resort management about this behavior by the CM.

I don't believe this - at all. Any reasonably intelligent person knows they should never believe what they read on the internet.

I see two issues going on that are fanning the flames about this issue. One, people are flat out making stuff up to stir the pot. Two, there are a staggering number of people today with entitled attitudes that get themselves all worked up over how they will be "wronged" because they might somehow be inconvenienced. Most of the posts about how terrible the policy is come from people who have NOT even stayed at WDW under the new policy - complaints about what they believe MIGHT happen, coming up with all kinds of crazy scenarios where people suddenly need to protect themselves and their children from the evil WDW CMs who have sinister intentions.

Then you have posts from people who have been to WDW since the policy was implemented (some with multiple trips) who report absolutely no issues at all - never having anyone even knock while they were in the room. Yes, I'm sure there have been some people who may have been woken from a nap when someone knocked. Before the policy was implemented WE have been woken up from a nap when we had the DND sign on the door. We simply told the CM we were napping. It didn't ruin our trip in any way. We have had similar things happen at other hotels, including some extremely high end hotels.

I'm an RN and the number of people on this site who have reported that they have an illness where simply being awoken from a nap will lead to their sure and sudden DEATH is nuts.

I don't believe this - at all. Any reasonably intelligent person knows they should never believe what they read on the internet.

I see two issues going on that are fanning the flames about this issue. One, people are flat out making stuff up to stir the pot. Two, there are a staggering number of people today with entitled attitudes that get themselves all worked up over how they will be "wronged" because they might somehow be inconvenienced. Most of the posts about how terrible the policy is come from people who have NOT even stayed at WDW under the new policy - complaints about what they believe MIGHT happen, coming up with all kinds of crazy scenarios where people suddenly need to protect themselves and their children from the evil WDW CMs who have sinister intentions.

Then you have posts from people who have been to WDW since the policy was implemented (some with multiple trips) who report absolutely no issues at all - never having anyone even knock while they were in the room. Yes, I'm sure there have been some people who may have been woken from a nap when someone knocked. Before the policy was implemented WE have been woken up from a nap when we had the DND sign on the door. We simply told the CM we were napping. It didn't ruin our trip in any way. We have had similar things happen at other hotels, including some extremely high end hotels.

I'm an RN and the number of people on this site who have reported that they have an illness where simply being awoken from a nap will lead to their sure and sudden DEATH is nuts.

People are entitled to their own concerns. I dont share many of them, but I refuse to call someone's story a lie because it seems inconceivable that such a thing would occur. Strange things happen and in the beginning of this policy rollout I have no doubts there were eager beavers who were barging in unannounced, and others who were using the policy inappropriately.

It is not nice to ridicule those people whose concerns stem from these stories. I know that for the most part this is a non issue for my family, however if anyone intruded on my dgd, no matter the reason, my feelings will change. This is the only part of this policy I am even contemplating to be a bother. Is my concern reasonable? I don't know, but us is valid for me.

People are entitled to their own concerns. I dont share many of them, but I refuse to call someone's story a lie because it seems inconceivable that such a thing would occur. Strange things happen and in the beginning of this policy rollout I have no doubts there were eager beavers who were barging in unannounced, and others who were using the policy inappropriately.

It is not nice to ridicule those people whose concerns stem from these stories. I know that for the most part this is a non issue for my family, however if anyone intruded on my dgd, no matter the reason, my feelings will change. This is the only part of this policy I am even contemplating to be a bother. Is my concern reasonable? I don't know, but us is valid for me.

I think part of the problem is certain posters keep bringing up experiences that happened to people from quite a while ago, making it seem like they are still happening now.

It's hard to discern anymore what are new/recent experiences, what are old experiences being brought up by the same people over and over to prove a point and what is just conjecture/hyperbole.

It's like when some resorts started allowing dogs - from all the posting you would assume crazed dogs were running all over the place. Now with the sticky and the fact it calmed down, you can see it's really a non-issue. (other than people just not liking the fact a dog was in their room).

When something is security driven businesses (not just Disney) won't share all of their reasoning with the public. To me it is not much different than them having plain clothes security in the parks. Disney doesn't tell guests ahead of time they are there.

Also, it the room checks are clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions of guests's reservation. It is there to see, if a guest would care to read it.

It is most definitely not clearly stated in the terms and condition of the guests reservation. Stating that they reserve the right to enter the room for any reason, does not clearly state that they require access to your room daily whether occupied or not. And if this is not true, please point me to where this is clearly stated as I did not see it when I booked, when I just did a mock booking, or was not told about this policy two weeks ago when we checked in.

It is not nice to ridicule those people whose concerns stem from these stories.

Understanding that many people lie all the time on the internet is not ridiculing someone - it's just common sense.

And my point is that this has become a hot issue based almost entirely on people being paranoid about what they think MIGHT happen. The number of posts from people voicing outrage over what COULD happen is much, much higher than the posts from people who actually HAVE experienced the policy. It's like giving a restaurant a terrible review and telling people to boycott the restaurant because after reading the menu you BELIEVE the food will not be good and you might get food poisoning. Or saying you are outraged because there is a possibility you might be served a rare steak when you are planning to order a well done steak.

There are a number of people reporting absolutely no issues at all, yet those reports are being ignored in favor of people who haven't even been to WDW since the policy changed.

Go read all the many posts from people who are angered about the fact that some CMs have the ability to open the latch if needed. Yet, so far no one has experienced having a CM remove the latch. Or the number of people who are saying they will no longer stay at a resort because of this new policy - yet they haven't even stayed at WDW since it was implemented.

I think the point for some of us at least is that it will absolutely affect certain stays.

We stay deluxe for 3 or 4 days and relax at our resort before we transfer to a moderate or value and do the parks. We prefer to forgo housekeeping during these days because we are in and out of the room. We do not/will not latch our door during the day because it's just not feasible with family members coming and going. I fully expect at some point each day, someone will knock at our door. I have a preteen daughter and a young teenage son. They may or may not be in the room alone when this happens. I will instruct them on what to do or say. Hopefully it will end up to be not too big of a deal. But it will affect us.

How can anyone now going to Disney consider themselves informed when they don’t tell you the impact of their new policy?
The impact of the practice is different for everyone.
There are a whole world of people that do not use the internet for their vacation plans .. a whole older generation taking their grandkids .. I DO think people should get a non Disney version of events ..
I'm in Nancyg56's generation and I have to agree with her. This 'older generation' is far more technologically involved than the young whippersnappers treat us.

Understanding that many people lie all the time on the internet is not ridiculing someone - it's just common sense.

And my point is that this has become a hot issue based almost entirely on people being paranoid about what they think MIGHT happen. The number of posts from people voicing outrage over what COULD happen is much, much higher than the posts from people who actually HAVE experienced the policy. It's like giving a restaurant a terrible review and telling people to boycott the restaurant because after reading the menu you BELIEVE the food will not be good and you might get food poisoning. Or saying you are outraged because there is a possibility you might be served a rare steak when you are planning to order a well done steak.

There are a number of people reporting absolutely no issues at all, yet those reports are being ignored in favor of people who haven't even been to WDW since the policy changed.

Go read all the many posts from people who are angered about the fact that some CMs have the ability to open the latch if needed. Yet, so far no one has experienced having a CM remove the latch. Or the number of people who are saying they will no longer stay at a resort because of this new policy - yet they haven't even stayed at WDW since it was implemented.

I get that, and I agree that some of the concerns people have make no sense to me, however I will not declare that the folks whose posts their fears are based on are lying. I will say, as I have always said about any controversial policy, I will make my mind up based on what DOES happen, not on what MAY occur.

The thing that I firmly believe in terms of respecting what people feel is that their concerns are valid to them. For example, we are booked at the BC in December, however if I need to change resorts for FD I plan to do so. The savings for my family is substantial. A CM suggested I may need to consider the YC. I cannot. It is a dog friendly resort, and despite the fact that there are not really any reports that the dogs, if there are even any there, have been a disturbance, my DD cannot stay there. Period. My family respects her fear, and we will make an adjustment. We will not ridicule her, or in any way try to disparage her concern. It is real. Our compromise is that we probably will not be able to stay at an Epcot resort, but it is what it is. For those whose fears are based on anecdotes that may or may not be true about the entry policy, it matters not what you or I think. Their concerns are real and until they manage to find a way to allay them, they will be worried. For my family, we will not stay in a dog friendly resort. We will stay elsewhere. For folks who need to stay outside of WDW even before they have personal experience, so be it.

I'm in Nancyg56's generation and I have to agree with her. This 'older generation' is far more technologically involved than the young whippersnappers treat us.

LOL! Thank you! As much as my kids tease me and DH that we are dinosaurs, we still manage to keep somewhat up with the "youngsters" although both of us have been known to ask the kids to help us....we admit we cannot keep up with preteens!

The impact of the practice is different for everyone.

Obviously... since your on here .. but there a tons like our parents and their friends that do not .. even people our age that don’t depend on the internet for things . I just don’t think it’s so widely known as of yet .

LOL! Thank you! As much as my kids tease me and DH that we are dinosaurs, we still manage to keep somewhat up with the "youngsters" although both of us have been known to ask the kids to help us....we admit we cannot keep up with preteens!
Heck, we just google the problem or go to the Verizon store. Never ask the kiddo.

I believe the gentleman who posted his actual experience of having a CM demand that he not be in the room with his princess who was sleeping while a room check was performed.

I can not see the value when people post replies that he made it up or because his experience is disagreeable to them personally they feel the need to stir the pot. I think it's best to let people share their experiences with these room checks without the need to call them liars.

~NM

I'm an RN too, and reported that we need our naps for medical reasons. This is absolutely true. I don't feel I have to tell the world just what our medical problems are; it's none of their business. Just suffice it to say that, Yes, there are people who HAVE to rest or nap daily just to be able to function like everyone else. They are not saying they will DIE if not doing so, at least in my case. It just would affect my husbands and my ability to enjoy WDW and to function. We must do other necessary things to be able to enjoy Disney besides "napping". Just so you know that not everyone is embellishing their need for rest or naps.

I personally choose where I stay based on many things and I don't see why the potential for intrusions wouldn't be one of them. I don't have to stay somewhere to decide that I don't care for certain amenities and policies so why should this one be any different?

I personally choose where I stay based on many things and I don't see why the potential for intrusions wouldn't be one of them. I don't have to stay somewhere to decide that I don't care for certain amenities and policies so why should this one be any different?

Like they say around these parts I live, "you don't have to jump into Lake Michigan to know it is cold."

Wow, this thread "took a turn" somewhere! I agree with the frustration at the idea of someone coming in daily, but it is what it is. Disney is notorious for announcing new policies and then working out the implementation afterward (i.e. the parking fee). I think this is just one of those things like confiscating liquids at TSA checkpoints that we'll just have to get used to. Sure, people say they'll quit flying every time something bad happens at an airport, but the planes and crowds don't seem any less to me.

I agree that this is a super-annoying new thing, but we'll all adjust and be on to the next outrage soon enough. (I'm just glad it's not snowing in Chicago anymore!!)

At least we have mug handles, right?? :D

I agree people on both sides seem to be "flat out making stuff up to stir the pot".

I think a lot of it is a variation of the "telephone" game. Poster sees something somewhere, kind of sort of remembers the details, and then passes it along. Another poster sees that, kind of sort of remembers the details, and passes that along. Pretty soon you will see posters claiming Disney forced their way in and did strip searches.

Even if some of this stuff did happen, it makes the guest look pretty bad. What sort of idiot would allow a CM to tell them to leave their child alone in a room while they did the search? And sorry, but only an idiot would follow that sort of instruction. I would get in a fist fight with whatever CM tried to pull that.

I think a lot of it is a variation of the "telephone" game.

“Telephone” exactly!

He left “princess” sleeping in the room while he went for an extended smoke break, so I doubt it was a young child. Numerous times that poster was asked to clarify if “princess” was a child or adult and he never answered. And at least according to the original post, the CM was already entering the room when the man turned down the hallway on his return, and does not mention the CM told the man he had to wait outside.

I don’t doubt the original post was true, however, so much has been “added” by various people’s interpretation as the story gets re-told. And it happened more that 4 months ago, with no other similar reports. It doesn’t appear to be a continuing problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter